Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Spring and Summer rain has pushed Namadgi regrowth into overdrive. Up to Gudgenby saddle was devoid of any sign of a pad - 3.5 hours from YHat car park to the saddle . From there it was a mix of leaking goonsacks - wine soaked undies- hot and cold running Spiders- deep grass and shitty hip deep wombat holes to escape downstream to Maurice Luton FT ( the last 50 metres is visible) and eventually Lutons Crutching shed - not the trip we intended but other half had problems with a shonky knee. Still a good day. 14.3 km 538 up 389 down and some wine left in the faulty goonbag. By all means go up the tougher peaks in Namadgi but be prepared to do some hard work.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Spring and Summer rain has pushed Namadgi regrowth into overdrive. Up to Gudgenby saddle was devoid of any sign of a pad - 3.5 hours from YHat car park to the saddle . From there it was a mix of leaking goonsacks - wine soaked undies- hot and cold running Spiders- deep grass and shitty hip deep wombat holes to escape downstream to Maurice Luton FT ( the last 50 metres is visible) and eventually Lutons Crutching shed - not the trip we intended but other half had problems with a shonky knee. Still a good day. 14.3 km 538 up 389 down and some wine left in the faulty goonbag. By all means go up the tougher peaks in Namadgi but be prepared to do some hard work.
So if you went up 538 and down 389 metres, then you’re still 152 above the car with wine to spare?

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Ah, camp, then do the remaining metres
I was wanting to do a 5 am start from Lutons to Sentry box and back but leaving my other half ( with sore knee joint ) at the shed until i returned was a bit selfish as that probably would have been about midday and its still 9 km back to the car.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Lutons.
20211229_152849.jpg
20211229_153022.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Aaaaaahhhh. Serenity. Miss it
Its gorgeous up there. Not a soul around. Quite a lot of the lower parts of the valley was unburnt. The first section returning on Old Boboyan Rd had plenty of Black Sallees untouched.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Was in CBR briefly just now. Managed a drive up to Blue Range Hut. Too brief. My first substantial sojourn in to Gudgenby NR as it was was Boboyan , Kelly, Namadgi, Gudgenby saddle and return. You could drive up to the junction of the road to YH car park and Sam's Creek fire trail in olden times.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Since this is a chatter thread... the olden times reflected in John's map. Bottom right is where you could park, in the early 80s, give or take a klick. We parked down there on the walk that I mentioned just before. Is your bridge pic, the one in top left? before the Sam's Creek saddle?

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 10.28.31 am.jpg

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Time flies. I recall the bridge, perhaps in 1980. Or 81. Camped about half way up Sam's Creek, in the hanging shelf valley below Kelly. Now I know the whole area is glaciated. Scabby, Kelly, Namadgi, Rotten Swamp etc etc etc. Very spec part of Australia.

p.s Sam's Creek Trail, from the Boboyan valley all the way up to Kelly saddle, was a fire trail and Nature Reserve access track for rangers and the like. Was actually fully formed with wheel tracks when I first walked it. :D

Reactions: LisaQ and Kletterer

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
My last trip that way, about 6 years ago I think. Sams disappeared a long way before the time before that, we didn't get much further than this, and turned back, went up Sentry instead.

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Nice job. Good bikes. Beautiful image looking north-west there, with the swamp in the middle ground. Found cooked yabbies in the fens one trip. After the '83 fires. The water in the shallow bogs boiled, as the fire razed the area. FYI. :)

Some olden images I found. Circa 1980. With pre Photoshop narrative and VSG crayons. :D VSG is the subject in each. :D

views of and from Kelly 1980.jpg

images developed, printed by VSG. 1980. Taken with an Olympus OM-1

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I am looking at going off to scout out Mt. Murray in the Alpine N.P. . I will drive up the Buckland Valley road to Beveridge's station, park there , hike in, carry water in and camp on the summit area for one night . I seem to recall a forum user did a BC XC ski trip out there a few years ago.
It seems to have some BC skiing potential.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
This year marks my 40th anniversary of first climbing Mt Donna Buang. makes me seem older than I feel, but glad I'm still doing it.

Interestingly a spot I regularly stop at for a breather still has the same fallen tree slowly rotting away. Originally one needed to scramble over it, now it's just a moss covered carbon sink beside the track.

PXL_20220114_224634404.jpg

Last edited:

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I have one of these https://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/ which @Untele-whippet kindly passed on a couple of years back. Battery expires in March.

Any reason I should buy something new rather than getting the battery replaced? I don’t have anyone checking up on me when I’m away (or at home for that matter), so probably don’t need a comms device. Just something that screams help if I need it.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
I have one of these https://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/ which @Untele-whippet kindly passed on a couple of years back. Battery expires in March.

Any reason I should buy something new rather than getting the battery replaced? I don’t have anyone checking up on me when I’m away (or at home for that matter), so probably don’t need a comms device. Just something that screams help if I need it.

If you’re happy not having the msg capability of other devices, I would certainly replace the battery as that unit’s size and weight is excellent. I have the same unit and intend to replace the battery when it expires

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I’m going for an overnight Guthega loop this weekend. Guthega - Twynam - Tate - Guthega. Where are the best places to get water? I know Twynam and Pound Creeks but I haven’t walked between Twynam and Tate before. Also nice camping area about halfway?

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I’m going for an overnight Guthega loop this weekend. Guthega - Twynam - Tate - Guthega. Where are the best places to get water? I know Twynam and Pound Creeks but I haven’t walked between Twynam and Tate before. Also nice camping area about halfway?
I like the area just under Twynam, there is an awesome site just at the end of the bowl, where the creek exits. Not halfway though!

Reactions: skifree and skichic
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass