Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
The main issue i have with powered camping is the longevity of it. The camp grounds were never meant to be all winter free places to set up what i a temporary home for many. Supposed to be for the odd night. Conditions used to moderate the numbers and duration of stay.

People setting up for months at a time are taking the piss and will eventually see NPWS enforce some limits or regulate the whole thing more and basically spoil it for everyone.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Ooh nice! Would have been less roads back then, moar adventure.
The KKH is your friend, Islamabad to the Chinese border, many possibilities either side. A few places I don't think westerners would be very welcome post 9/11 (backside of Nanga Parbat for one, locals were nasty fookers back then), Gilgit area and Hunza valley are awesome. Rakaposhi, longest continuous ridge in the world (approx 22,000 feet). Passu glacier mega. Enjoy

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Nice one. Plan is to hike Askole to Karimabad via the Biafo and Hispar glaciers. Then hopefully a quick trip to Shimshal via Passu, so will check out glacier. Cheers!
Baaaasssrrrtttaaarrrddd, Biafo/Hispar is bucket list. Hope you're taking a splitter.
Self guiding or guided/portered? We looked at doing it but logistics beat us.

teletripper

One of Us
Aug 4, 2007
Jindabyne
The main issue i have with powered camping is the longevity of it. The camp grounds were never meant to be all winter free places to set up what i a temporary home for many. Supposed to be for the odd night. Conditions used to moderate the numbers and duration of stay.

People setting up for months at a time are taking the piss and will eventually see NPWS enforce some limits or regulate the whole thing more and basically spoil it for everyone.
This ^
Not many know that there is already a 3 week limit on camping in any camping area under the KNP POM which can be enforced and has been in the past. (Thredbo Diggings and Ngarigo have a 2 week maximum stay limit). This is why many van lifers ended up on the Lake foreshore etc. This has been a growing problem over the last decade with many mountain seasonal staff treating the NP camping areas as a season long accommodation alternative because of lack of hard roofed options out there. (I feel for them as there employers are not exactly playing the game in being helpful with providing viable accommodation options or paying decent wages so they can afford what is on offer!) Seems it is now also extending to holiday makers and skiing visitors looking to save dollars. As Snow Blowey indicates these areas were and are not set up to be 'ski rush' villages for hundreds to live in permanently for 3-4 months. So something is going to give.

POM Pg 116.JPG

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
This ^
Not many know that there is already a 3 week limit on camping in any camping area under the KNP POM which can be enforced and has been in the past. (Thredbo Diggings and Ngarigo have a 2 week maximum stay limit). This is why many van lifers ended up on the Lake foreshore etc. This has been a growing problem over the last decade with many mountain seasonal staff treating the NP camping areas as a season long accommodation alternative because of lack of hard roofed options out there. (I feel for them as there employers are not exactly playing the game in being helpful with providing viable accommodation options or paying decent wages so they can afford what is on offer!) Seems it is now also extending to holiday makers and skiing visitors looking to save dollars. As Snow Blowey indicates these areas were and are not set up to be 'ski rush' villages for hundreds to live in permanently for 3-4 months. So something is going to give.

POM Pg 116.JPG
2 week limit applies to Island Bend too. Certainly wasn’t enforced last year. There were numerous large camp/van sites that never moved between my weekend trips. Apart from staff, there were families with seasonal ski program kids.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Nah, only have 3 weeks. Good excuse to go back!
Will be interesting to compare photos of the Passu glacier (it's retreat), it often used to push over/block the KKH.
A morning walk up to the 'hanging' glacier above Karimabad is worth the effort.

Reactions: Chaeron

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
Will be interesting to compare photos of the Passu glacier (it's retreat), it often used to push over/block the KKH.
A morning walk up to the 'hanging' glacier above Karimabad is worth the effort.
Good tip, will be sure to check it out! On google maps the passu glacier does seem to have retreated to the west, so maybe less problematic these days. Am also keen to check out the passu suspension bridge
Screenshot_20220512-221740_Chrome.jpg

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Seriously crisp in the alpine today. Top 3 clear views ever. Could even get a shot of the MR with my phone

The high ridge / peaks in the background, to the right of Mt howitt - big hill and magdala? Not often you can see that far so clearly

20220519_145412.jpg
20220519_151457.jpg
20220519_145549.jpg20220519_152350.jpg20220519_154041.jpg20220519_160229.jpg20220519_162958.jpg20220519_163359.jpg20220519_165612.jpg
Howitt on left, XXS on right, the distant peaks poking up behind are Buller left and Stirling right.

Reactions: GS

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Howitt on left, XXS on right, the distant peaks poking up behind are Buller left and Stirling right.

Howitt and xxs easy to spot :)

I'm not convinced that's buller/stirling, seems too close, but optical illusion perhaps. They're more obvious from other angles, a bit further north than the hoth summit

will need a seconder from the brains trust

Screenshot_20220520-094010_Gallery.jpg

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au

I'm not convinced that's buller/stirling, seems too close, but optical illusion perhaps. They're more obvious from other angles, a bit further north than the hoth summit

There are no other big mountains further east of howitt/xxs from where yr taking the photo.
Trust me, ive done the lines on the topo from hotham.
Maybe @VSG can do a drawing

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Good tip, will be sure to check it out! On google maps the passu glacier does seem to have retreated to the west, so maybe less problematic these days. Am also keen to check out the passu suspension bridge
Screenshot_20220512-221740_Chrome.jpg

Really interested to know the logistics of yr trip once your back. Guided or independent, safety and difficulties etc

It's been too long between big mountain drinks for me and keen to get back and Karakoram seems less crowded than Nepal. Looks like next year I may be tagging along to the Khumbu with an extended family member who wants to tick EBC off her bucket list. Fingers crossed borders, covid, airlines and all other things pandemic don't get in the way

• Love
Reactions: Boodwah and malas1

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne

I'm still not 100% convinced it isn't big hill and magdala, will need a seconder. I thought I could see the peak to the right here ^^^ in addition to Buller further right in my view, as I was driving off the hill today

In the interim, enjoy another picture
20220520_114605.jpg

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Yes, the mountain named after the mysterious band members of Cell Block 69

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
Really interested to know the logistics of yr trip once your back. Guided or independent, safety and difficulties etc

It's been too long between big mountain drinks for me and keen to get back and Karakoram seems less crowded than Nepal. Looks like next year I may be tagging along to the Khumbu with an extended family member who wants to tick EBC off her bucket list. Fingers crossed borders, covid, airlines and all other things pandemic don't get in the way
The trip is just our group and of our design, but we've engaged a guiding group out of skardu to arrange porters. Life is too short to lug 3 weeks of your own food! Plus helping the local economy also a plus. Will report back in a month how successful it was!

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
My first trek in Nepal (Annapurna's) was with World Expeditions, after that we went self guided/self organised utilising local guides and porters as required (ranging from local students to shepards).
Other areas less well known but just as good you may like to investigate - Kashmir, Ladakh,Utter Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Darjeeling, Sikkim, Langtang, northern Pakistan anywhere. May not have 8000m peaks but plenty of 7000m. Cheaper or no climbing permits in Pakistan and India with plenty of choices.
I'd always recommend walking into the Everest region from the road head and not flying into Lukla (Lukla up is a super highway of westerners and teahouse's).
Never been to EBC (it's for climbers not gwaukers) and doesn't have good views of the Everest masstif), better options around. With a bit of effort it's not to hard to get over 6000m.
Seek the solitude and be rewarded.

Reactions: GS

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
Totes agree on EBC, and Ladakh is def in my top 10. Also thinking bhutan is a cool option - def pricy but now that I'm turning into an old fart, worth it to escape the hordes. But after this trip my priorities will prolly be greenland, baffin, socotra, antarctica, tajikistan, kamchatka (that one may be a while away), with family trips inbetween. Sigh. Need moar time!

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I'm still not 100% convinced it isn't big hill and magdala, will need a seconder. I thought I could see the peak to the right here ^^^ in addition to Buller further right in my view, as I was driving off the hill today

In the interim, enjoy another picture
20220520_114605.jpg
I believe Mt. Cobbler is visible from Hotham and it is higher than Buller.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Totes agree on EBC, and Ladakh is def in my top 10. Also thinking bhutan is a cool option - def pricy but now that I'm turning into an old fart, worth it to escape the hordes. But after this trip my priorities will prolly be greenland, baffin, socotra, antarctica, tajikistan, kamchatka (that one may be a while away), with family trips inbetween. Sigh. Need moar time!
Baffin would be sick.
Are you thinking of skiing?

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
I believe Mt. Cobbler is visible from Hotham and it is higher than Buller.

Cobbler - 1,628m - easy to spot a long way north of the rest of the buller/howitt area. Also very prominent from the Hume at the servos at glenrowan; large triangular shaped mountain to the SSE

Buller - 1,805m

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
In baffin? Yeah that would totes be a ski trip. Tried to get it off the ground this year but struggled to make contact with anyone in clyde river. Paki logistics easier! Reckon i would switch to AT for Baffin, skiing is scary steep!
Keep me in the loop. Dream trip. Terrifying but dream.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Cobbler - 1,628m - easy to spot a long way north of the rest of the buller/howitt area. Also very prominent from the Hume at the servos at glenrowan; large triangular shaped mountain to the SSE

Buller - 1,805m
No doubt you are right. I did a quick search and did not read the info properly. On checking it was Buller resort at 1600m.

Reactions: hongomania

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
In baffin? Yeah that would totes be a ski trip. Tried to get it off the ground this year but struggled to make contact with anyone in clyde river. Paki logistics easier! Reckon i would switch to AT for Baffin, skiing is scary steep!

I know these people in Iceland who sail to Greenland......... and ski.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass