Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Base camping at Bluff Hut would make the most sense, but I've always wanted to camp up on that ridge line if the forecast allowed

Climbing up the face to The Bluff this weekend would have been brutal, lot of deep soft, wet snow. I've climbed that in snow a few times but never with an overnight pack, and at 58 I'm not going to start now.

Yep, the seriously burnt snowgums above Bluff Hut have opened it nicely and provides lots of ski descent options ...if snow allows. At the moment it's like a giant mogul field with dead trees and rocks thrown about.

Certainly good cover up there at the moment but anything on the north and west faces is melting rapidly. I could ski all the way up Bluff Hut track from the gate on Sat, needed to walk sections back down today. Bit of a b*****d track to ski down anyway...I "power plowed" most of it LOL

Anyway glad i went up this weekend, had the place to myself. Not sure I'll make it a regular weekend destination as it's a long 1.5hr drive in from the Buller road and high risk of tree fall blocking the way.
A fine effort indeed.I have wondered about the Mt.Clear area over to King Billy.I have walked it and it seems like it would be good to ski that section of the AAWT.Access from the upper Jamieson river valley in winter would possibly be the way to approach it.

Reactions: seak

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
A fine effort indeed.I have wondered about the Mt.Clear area over to King Billy.I have walked it and it seems like it would be good to ski that section of the AAWT.Access from the upper Jamieson river valley in winter would possibly be the way to approach it.
Having skied KB 1 in great late Sept 2000’ snow and walked over Clear a couple of times, I’ll state:

The further you head south/SW from the 4-way track junction, the more of track bash / potential bushwalk it risks becoming. Right ATM, you’d probably be fine but if say TBJ was totally bare of snow and had been for a week or so, you’d be pretty suss of snow in the Saddle to the north of Mt Clear (~ 14-1450m).

Fwiw, you cam, or used to drive up Brocks Rd turning right, off the bluff road, and drive towards the winter gate (1300m). You’ll risk getting stuck for weeks early/mid season, so late Aug/early Sept in a good season is the less risky time to go. Never can tell - Sept falls can be big in some years! (2004/5?)

It’s easy skiing up Brocks once there’s snow of course!

In 2000’ we saw a stranded skidoo - hunters I think - must have continued on foot. I had a snigger. They would seem wrecked the soft snow cover for us! And eventually hit NP and hence be illegal.

The more I see of some mountain user-groups - usually the motorised variety, the more I worry about the future of our bush and society in general. So many do not GaS!

But hey it’s a shot if you prepare. It’s quite a long ski rom Below Bluff hut to Mt Clear. Brocks Road - iff it’s navigable is the better choice for Clear imo. (For fast & light). :thumbs: ;)

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
After climbing back up to the northerly peak of the Bluff, we had a glorious descent through the driest snow I have ever skied in the southern hemisphere, if not the planet

Truly spectacular country and one of our better days out on skis anywhere, even making a couple of those days out on l'Haut Route seem ordinary in comparison

i believe that ^^^, amazing location with the right weather system for #blowermaaaan

southern VIC BC skiing has the worlds best vibes

some of your best shots in this one

next time ask me to come with; can go in my 4wd with all the goodies needed

can i please have the full resolution version of this shot - needs to go on canvas on my wall

DSC02376.JPG

my reaction to this pic (my god the view of feathers especially)
ClearcutViciousBergerpicard-max-1mb.gif

art

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004
Skied DHG to leather barrel and back today.
Fantastic weather.
Conditions are firm although mostly not unbreakable sheet ice firm, more a sort of highly variable firmness that isn't obvious from a distance but sucks you far enough in before you make a careful reassessment of your questionable route choice.
With some care aspects could be found that softened into very nice spring like snow. Getting to these aspects was sometimes.... Let's say interesting.

The "ski" back to the car was much fun, it wasn't type 1 fun, I'm not sure which type it was yet.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic

2014! I remember when you first posted that and it seems only yesterday. The description of descending Bluff Hut track still holds true, now with the added bonus of dodging a dead deer part way down!

Superb photos of a truely spectacular corner of our Alps

Last edited:

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
i believe that ^^^, amazing location with the right weather system for #blowermaaaan

southern VIC BC skiing has the worlds best vibes

some of your best shots in this one

next time ask me to come with; can go in my 4wd with all the goodies needed

can i please have the full resolution version of this shot - needs to go on canvas on my wall
DSC02376.JPG

my reaction to this pic (my god the view of feathers especially)
ClearcutViciousBergerpicard-max-1mb.gif
Thanks H
I think.
Will try find that shot.

Reactions: hongomania

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
While we are on the bluff i found this on YT Last night. I did this maybe 15 years ago? Pretty crap but funny regardless. I still think it’s one of the best walks to go skiing in Victoria

Nice snow!

There's such a good cover up there now, it makes me think another dump of half decent snow would provide some excellent skiing opportunities. Here's hoping

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Someone on the bushwalking web site has said that some utterly brain dead knuckle
draggers in 4 x 4 vehicles cut/ broke the gates at Mt. St. Gwinear car park and drove up the ski track to the summit . They totally ruined the snow for all snow sports and peaceful non combustion engine based recreation in the National park.
The police have been notified.
:-((
Is it any wonder people make the effort to reach Cleve Cole Hut on Mt. Bogong by human power?

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Someone on the bushwalking web site has said that some utterly brain dead knuckle
draggers in 4 x 4 vehicles cut/ broke the gates at Mt. St. Gwinear car park and drove up the ski track to the summit . They totally ruined the snow for all snow sports and peaceful non combustion engine based recreation in the National park.
The police have been notified.
:-((
Is it any wonder people make the effort to reach Cleve Cole Hut on Mt. Bogong by human power?
I'm a four wheel driver, and quite often I hate four wheel drivers.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I'm a four wheel driver, and quite often I hate four wheel drivers.
Me too - there’s a very low IQ factor in play - for many.

It seems nothing short of a Trumpian or Berlin Wall with dogs, spotlights and guards with machine guns will keep the idiots off our ski trails.

Surely it’s time for Parks/DELWP to fund better barriers and number plate scanners to defeat these nuckleheads.

I’m starting to wonder if this is more than just a thoughtless jaunt and perhaps an ‘FU’ city-elites statement. :oops:

Perhaps some future 4WD focus - groups will help our land managers to better under this ‘problem’. One that’s on the rise. Just ask Stirling management about ‘gate-crashing’ and trespassing. :rolleyes:

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
There are not many solid gates at seasonal closures than cannot be cut with a battery grinder or snatched open. It has been going on for years but made worse with the evolution of the lithium battery tools. In some areas, where gates are commonly cut and damage done, the land managers will install covert cameras but this requires a warrant and it is time limited. To obtain a warrant there has to be sufficient evidence of wrongdoing on a regular basis. Other issues are staffing levels and being remote areas it is difficult to be everywhere and at all hours.

The peak 4wd body in Vic assists Parks and DELWP already and my personal view is the police just need to chip away at the problem people. That can be done without sufficient evidence for prosecution for major offences. Most of the vehicles can be defected and a defect hurts just as much when it is costly to fix. Vehicles have design standards and if these are exceeded without appropriate engineering the vehicle can be defected. The issue would be selectively identifying the problem people. People would look at my car and think I was a bogan because of the lift and big tyres but we need that just to get around the property this time of year.

A recent trip out to Nunniong plains showed us the extent of the problem where cars deliberately went through bogs. If the feral horses were not there the grass would be longer (not the bowling green it is now) and people would find it harder to see the bogs. DELWP have fence off an area of a most sensitive nature to stop the damage from both species of ferals.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Weird thing is how the 4wd and brumby lovers are friends. Says something.

A group went past me in the Brindies the other week, all in school uniform, P platers, $70K cars sideways, mud spraying, they were having fun.

World changes, that NEVER happened when I was young, they would have been in a right shit box, maybe a 50yo tin lizzie or something.

plink01

Addicted
Jun 27, 2018
Me too - there’s a very low IQ factor in play - for many.

It seems nothing short of a Trumpian or Berlin Wall with dogs, spotlights and guards with machine guns will keep the idiots off our ski trails.

Surely it’s time for Parks/DELWP to fund better barriers and number plate scanners to defeat these nuckleheads.

I’m starting to wonder if this is more than just a thoughtless jaunt and perhaps an ‘FU’ city-elites statement. :oops:

Perhaps some future 4WD focus - groups will help our land managers to better under this ‘problem’. One that’s on the rise. Just ask Stirling management about ‘gate-crashing’ and trespassing. :rolleyes:

I think your over thinking it. It's just brain dead morons doing stupid shit to impress their mates with no thoughts about anyone or anything else.

I myself do a lot of 4wding and probably the bottom 20% seem to have the IQ of mentally handicapped dung beetle. From 20-50% seem to have some sort of basic understanding of the environment they are in and what they are doing to it.

On a good day they might clean up after themselves but on a bad day will probably resort back to burning each other's camp chairs and doing 300 doughies on the way out of the campsite. Removing any evidence of grass for the next 3 months.

From 50% most people are generally good and do the right thing.

I just come up with those groundbreaking statistics in my head but I think they are probably not to far off. 20% trash the joint. 30% sometimes trash it and 50% look after it or are neutral.

The answer has to be in education, but teaching people who have no respect for anything or anyone else seems near on impossible.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
There are not many solid gates at seasonal closures than cannot be cut with a battery grinder or snatched open. It has been going on for years but made worse with the evolution of the lithium battery tools. In some areas, where gates are commonly cut and damage done, the land managers will install covert cameras but this requires a warrant and it is time limited. To obtain a warrant there has to be sufficient evidence of wrongdoing on a regular basis. Other issues are staffing levels and being remote areas it is difficult to be everywhere and at all hours.

The peak 4wd body in Vic assists Parks and DELWP already and my personal view is the police just need to chip away at the problem people. That can be done without sufficient evidence for prosecution for major offences. Most of the vehicles can be defected and a defect hurts just as much when it is costly to fix. Vehicles have design standards and if these are exceeded without appropriate engineering the vehicle can be defected. The issue would be selectively identifying the problem people. People would look at my car and think I was a bogan because of the lift and big tyres but we need that just to get around the property this time of year.

A recent trip out to Nunniong plains showed us the extent of the problem where cars deliberately went through bogs. If the feral horses were not there the grass would be longer (not the bowling green it is now) and people would find it harder to see the bogs. DELWP have fence off an area of a most sensitive nature to stop the damage from both species of ferals.
bugger the defect notices....I'd pay to watch a $70k+ illegally modified vehicle being fed through a compactor!

and for the record, i have also spent many years 4wding.

Education is the only answer, and IMO must start at a young age in the home to have and show respect.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
bugger the defect notices....I'd pay to watch a $70k+ illegally modified vehicle being fed through a compactor!
Obviously the best result but that requires someone on the spot or some direct evidence. Educating via defect or minor infringement works. Local police will know the problem people and just chip away until behaviour is changed or the person does not have a licence or a car to drive. Not easy to rely upon a role model assisting.

We are trying to deal with another problem in a similar way. Poachers at night shooting deer from cars in built up or semi rural areas. Hard to pin them in the act but you can get enough detail to pass on to Police for other action. A snap gun safe inspection often finds illegal/unregistered firearms or other offences that may result in a suspension of the licence and confiscation of guns. Some might interpret this as harassment but it is lawful and if they were not harassing communities they would not come to notice.

seak

One of Us
Apr 8, 2003
Blue Mts

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Obviously the best result but that requires someone on the spot or some direct evidence. Educating via defect or minor infringement works. Local police will know the problem people and just chip away until behaviour is changed or the person does not have a licence or a car to drive. Not easy to rely upon a role model assisting.

We are trying to deal with another problem in a similar way. Poachers at night shooting deer from cars in built up or semi rural areas. Hard to pin them in the act but you can get enough detail to pass on to Police for other action. A snap gun safe inspection often finds illegal/unregistered firearms or other offences that may result in a suspension of the licence and confiscation of guns. Some might interpret this as harassment but it is lawful and if they were not harassing communities they would not come to notice.

Sounds good idea - snap inspections? Looking towards the US scenarios- you can never have too many gun storage & licence inspections.

But I wonder what the Vic Pol capacity is for snap inspections in the greater Vic Alps / bush (& other states FWIW) - it’s a huge area, and I dare they’re severely stretched in regional areas already.

Maybe if DELWP PSOs (do they exist?) and game management had an z inspection budget? But on a public road it would need a Vic Pol presence.

We (Vic) rarely seem to have enough Govt. Officer presence (all varieties) to catch* and discourage idiots and flagrant law breeches. In the city, it feels like only the most brazen, idiotic or large-scale cases are caught.

*Look at the native wildlife (WT Eagles) killed up in far E. Gippsland? Perhaps that’s a bit of tangent but you get the idea…

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
Sounds good idea - snap inspections? Looking towards the US scenarios- you can never have too many gun storage & licence inspections.

But I wonder what the Vic Pol capacity is for snap inspections in the greater Vic Alps / bush (& other states FWIW) - it’s a huge area, and I dare they’re severely stretched in regional areas already.

Maybe if DELWP PSOs (do they exist?) and game management had an z inspection budget? But on a public road it would need a Vic Pol presence.

We (Vic) rarely seem to have enough Govt. Officer presence (all varieties) to catch* and discourage idiots and flagrant law breeches. In the city, it feels like only the most brazen, idiotic or large-scale cases are caught.

*Look at the native wildlife (WT Eagles) killed up in far E. Gippsland? Perhaps that’s a bit of tangent but you get the idea…

A few months ago they had coppers all throughout the Mansfield region defecting 4wds, both in town and on the trails riding motos.

Reactions: Chaeron and snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
A few months ago they had coppers all throughout the Mansfield region defecting 4wds, both in town and on the trails riding motos.
Great - love it! The word will spread.

I’m a somewhat lapsed 4WD myself. I’m overdue a (sensible) wheeled visit to the BC. (Like many, post fires and Covid and life? ).

Reactions: Chaeron

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Licencing police are at most head stations. Snap inspections happen more than you realise but only Vic Pol have authority to do them and local police can't without the licencing officer. That is his job so it would be easy enough to program an inspection with local police.
*Look at the native wildlife (WT Eagles) killed up in far E. Gippsland? Perhaps that’s a bit of tangent but you get the idea
This actually happened over a considerable period of time. Not excusing it by any means. Many farmers still believe eagles take stock and they care more about the thought of losing a couple of lambs than the damage done by killing the eagles. It has always been an economic decision for farmers when it comes to environmental matters. On par with miners.
A few months ago they had coppers all throughout the Mansfield region defecting 4wds, both in town and on the trails riding motos
When I lived in Sydney there was a local problem with street racing. Hundreds of people would come to watch and things just got out of hand. Police did operations after many complaints and every vehicle was defected. Along with the defect was an infringement for the defect. The lesson was if you turn up to watch it will cost. Without the audience there was no incentive to race. They either stopped or moved onto someone else's backyard but this tactic worked. Some people will see it as Police being heavy handed and picking on people for no good reason. Unfortunately there may be a few who get caught out for not much.

It would also seem that when Police and the GMA do operations to catch poachers in the bush and actually do it has a flow on effect and the problem goes away for a while. Chat rooms and FB always amplify the police response and makes people cautious.

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
Great - love it! The word will spread.

I’m a somewhat lapsed 4WD myself. I’m overdue a (sensible) wheeled visit to the BC. (Like many, post fires and Covid and life? ).
Yeah it spread pretty quickly in the 4wd groups I'm in on FB.

Now if only they could do the same for the dickheads who leave rubbish (particularly bogroll) everywhere around the bush campsites.
Fortunately some of the big 4wd media groups (namely 4wd 24/7) are pushing to stop leaving crap everywhere. Less fortunately they're still encouraging the "drive up muddy tracks ripping them to shit with 35s".

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne

and for the record, i have also spent many years 4wding.

Education is the only answer, and IMO must start at a young age in the home to have and show respect.
Can't agree with cars being compacted

What a waste. Think about how much energy was required to produce the parts

#scrapnotcompact or sell the vehicle and all funds donated to a charity

There's plenty of environment for all users; to be fair to 4wders throughout the country there's been more and more closures. No wonder there is frustration. If only parks had more budget to maintain tracks; getting people into the bush is ultimately a good thing. Environmental damage from a track is negligible if properly maintained

Vicpol defecting on Easter weekend in the state forest was not a good thing. Can't see how this use of resources was needed; how many incidents happen in the state forest as a result of modified vehicles? Looks more like a chance for vicpol members to take their dirt bikes out on the taxpayer. However I'm open to all sides of the story

Should have defected them on the bitumen access roads, that's where the real danger is. I've seen cars of all types over the years driving way too fast on forest tracks

Some of the defected 4wds probably were not safe for road use however I'd guess some were well modified based on the pics I was sent. The ADR / engineering requirements for modified 4wd vehicles are too strict in this country

Just because someone drives a lifted vehicle on 35s doesn't make them a bushpig

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
IQ of mentally handicapped dung beetle
Go easy on
the dung beetles comrade. At least they eat shite and are doing SOMETHING useful there unlike these pillocks in tonka toys with tiny weeiners and zero grey cells between the ears.
This super tough Monger proof gate is great :

Reactions: Telemark Phat

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic

A group went past me in the Brindies the other week, all in school uniform, P platers, $70K cars sideways, mud spraying, they were having fun.

World changes, that NEVER happened when I was young, they would have been in a right shit box, maybe a 50yo tin lizzie or something.
Hard enough to get the wheels to turn in a Series 1 Landrover or LJ50 2 stroke suzuki :D

Reactions: telecrag

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

It’s partly Aussie’s notalgia of (Larrikin) ‘Cul-cha’

We traditionally back the little guy / battler in the fight against the government / the law or ‘injustice’.

Possibly both 4wd & brumby groups see some similarities in their fight with govt. land managers.

My enemy’s enemy, yarda…?

In realty, it’s not easy to pigeon hole 4WD users into just one or two demographics - as we see on this form - many strongly believe in protecting the environment and acting responsibly in the bush/ on tracks, etc…

Education vs punishment?
I’m just not confident that our land managers will be able to ‘educate’ this small (5-10%) hard core of 4WD law-breakers. (Who don’t give a rats).

Apart from anything else, the above cohort of 20-70 year-olds (adults) have already learnt not to respect society and the law. Appealing to reason, because conservation is the ‘decent thing to do’, will be a tough sell.

Loss of a vehicle for damaging public property (and ruining a whole ski area for weeks!) - would go a long way towards education these fine members of society. ;)

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Keeping this discussion real to BC, seasonal closures are important to stop hefty maintenance costs on tracks we all like to use but some people think snatching a gate to get access is more important. Tracks into the Howqua are often trashed in winter because gates are busted. Driving off track is also prohibited and it contributes to significant damage. I doubt most 4wd users are doing the wrong thing so to call all who drive a lifted car with mud tyres knuckle draggers is a long bow to draw. Peer pressure may work to some degree but there are enough idiots out there causing damage to force land managers into shutting off certain areas. I don't think people understand how much it costs to get a dozer into a track. I know how much it cost me and you can add a bit more for a government contract. That money is your dollars spent that could have been spent on something else like getting the dunnies fixed at Cleve Cole hut (which is happening soon).

There are other issues with track maintenance that relates to cultural permissions. Some tracks may remain closed because work has not been approved by indigenous stakeholders. There are a few tracks in the Cobberas that fall into this category.

plink01

Addicted
Jun 27, 2018
There are other issues with track maintenance that relates to cultural permissions. Some tracks may remain closed because work has not been approved by indigenous stakeholders. There are a few tracks in the Cobberas that fall into this category.

Is that Ingeegoodbee Track area?? I've been trying to go there for the last 2 years but it's always closed with no real explanation. I rang parks and they told me it's open but it's definitely not.

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Is that Ingeegoodbee Track area?? I've been trying to go there for the last 2 years but it's always closed with no real explanation. I rang parks and they told me it's open but it's definitely not.
I was there (cobberas / macfarlanes / ingeegoodbee tracks) just prior to QBW a couple of years back before it closed. It really was deserving of warning signs, you wouldn't have wanted to tackle it without the right vehicle, experience and a spotter. Needed a grader to come through badly

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Can't agree with cars being compacted

What a waste. Think about how much energy was required to produce the parts

#scrapnotcompact or sell the vehicle and all funds donated to a charity

There's plenty of environment for all users; to be fair to 4wders throughout the country there's been more and more closures. No wonder there is frustration. If only parks had more budget to maintain tracks; getting people into the bush is ultimately a good thing. Environmental damage from a track is negligible if properly maintained

Vicpol defecting on Easter weekend in the state forest was not a good thing. Can't see how this use of resources was needed; how many incidents happen in the state forest as a result of modified vehicles? Looks more like a chance for vicpol members to take their dirt bikes out on the taxpayer. However I'm open to all sides of the story

Should have defected them on the bitumen access roads, that's where the real danger is. I've seen cars of all types over the years driving way too fast on forest tracks

Some of the defected 4wds probably were not safe for road use however I'd guess some were well modified based on the pics I was sent. The ADR / engineering requirements for modified 4wd vehicles are too strict in this country

Just because someone drives a lifted vehicle on 35s doesn't make them a bushpig
It might have been a covet operation to catch the Nazis !

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass