Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
It’s partly Aussie’s notalgia of (Larrikin) ‘Cul-cha’

We traditionally back the little guy / battler in the fight against the government / the law or ‘injustice’.

Possibly both 4wd & brumby groups see some similarities in their fight with govt. land managers.

My enemy’s enemy, yarda…?

In realty, it’s not easy to pigeon hole 4WD users into just one or two demographics - as we see on this form - many strongly believe in protecting the environment and acting responsibly in the bush/ on tracks, etc…

Education vs punishment?
I’m just not confident that our land managers will be able to ‘educate’ this small (5-10%) hard core of 4WD law-breakers. (Who don’t give a rats).

Apart from anything else, the above cohort of 20-70 year-olds (adults) have already learnt not to respect society and the law. Appealing to reason, because conservation is the ‘decent thing to do’, will be a tough sell.

Loss of a vehicle for damaging public property (and ruining a whole ski area for weeks!) - would go a long way towards education these fine members of society. ;)
Erica ski hire would like to catch the culprits and have them stripped naked, coated in honey and be tied to an ants' nest.
1655878941394.png

Last edited:
Reactions: snowgum

plink01

Addicted
Jun 27, 2018
I was there (cobberas / macfarlanes / ingeegoodbee tracks) just prior to QBW a couple of years back before it closed. It really was deserving of warning signs, you wouldn't have wanted to tackle it without the right vehicle, experience and a spotter. Needed a grader to come through badly
Ah k cool, thanks for the response. I'll have to hike in for a look then once the ski season is over.

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Ah k cool, thanks for the response. I'll have to hike in for a look then once the ski season is over.
It may have been graded since

Not trying to toot my own horn but I'm a very seasoned high country 4wd guy; so I'm not over selling the extreme rating it was deserving of

I was co-pilot for a mate on that occasion. Lots of fun as he was still relatively new to the game and I enjoy being winch boy. Only had to get on the winch climbing out of Berrima creek crossing, it was night time at that stage. I really opened his eyes to what a 4wd can do lol

Some sections and a slight misplacement of your tyres would have been catastrophic. Steep & off camber, heavily eroded descents with exposed rock. We came from the cobberas side

Would have been impassable in a standard 4wd

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
They once tried to drive 4x4s up Mulhauser walking track but could not get over the granite intrusions.....that was pretty funny....they learnt the hard way.It’s a walking track ....though I have seen trail bikes come down from the extension over Mt Mulhauser.

In Marysville when they open up Lady Talbot Dve again ...they will need to keep a handle on some of the 4x4s as this is very sensitive catchment area..Upper Taggerty River is a small version of the West Kiewa.....it needs to be very carefully regulated to preserve the catchment.

Nobody should feel entitled to pollute or screw with this environment.
Bears recall Kosy Round Mt had a very special entrance gate...

Now Boundary Track and East Fall have been cleared and dozed they need to be closed during winter to prevent damage.The DSE needs to use cameras to catch those that break through gates during winter closures.

Hopefully Parks and DSE can use cameras to prosecute those that deliberately run winter closure gates.

Reactions: Tanuki

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
It may have been graded since

Not trying to toot my own horn but I'm a very seasoned high country 4wd guy; so I'm not over selling the extreme rating it was deserving of

I was co-pilot for a mate on that occasion. Lots of fun as he was still relatively new to the game and I enjoy being winch boy. Only had to get on the winch climbing out of Berrima creek crossing, it was night time at that stage. I really opened his eyes to what a 4wd can do lol

Some sections and a slight misplacement of your tyres would have been catastrophic. Steep & off camber, heavily eroded descents with exposed rock. We came from the cobberas side

Would have been impassable in a standard 4wd
Keep in mind everything looks easy on camera. Much steeper than it looks; rocks alot bigger too. Threw in one from the same weekend on billy goats

Screenshot_20200607-150135_Gallery.jpg20220621_222651.jpg
Screenshot_20200607-150108_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200607-150123_Gallery.jpg
20200609_135542.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Erica ski hire would like to catch the culprits and have them stripped naked, coated in honey and be tied to an ants' nest.
I think they may have to stand in line behind many (angry) MSG fans? This sort of thing is becoming the norm in Vic!

We need to all start getting angry, writing to Ministers, calling MPs and PV / DELWP directors - & rattle the cage!

Sadly, Most of XC / BC mountains are too far from Melbourne for our leaders to lose much sleep.

…Most of the time!
:mad::blb::evil:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Keep in mind everything looks easy on camera. Much steeper than it looks; rocks alot bigger too. Threw in one from the same weekend on billy goats

Screenshot_20200607-150135_Gallery.jpg20220621_222651.jpg
Screenshot_20200607-150108_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200607-150123_Gallery.jpg
20200609_135542.jpg

Great pics, tough driving, beautiful mountain range - the Cobberas!

The area of my first ‘real’ uni bushwalk. Those 4wd tracks east of MtC 1 / Playgrounds were killers to walk up with big packs! Plenty of vertical to bash. Better suited to dedicated 4WD (clearly) - if open?

Oh to ski them one day? One for a big (not too big) snow year?

Reactions: hongomania

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Great pics, tough driving, beautiful mountain range - the Cobberas!

The area of my first ‘real’ uni bushwalk. Those 4wd tracks east of MtC 1 / Playgrounds were killers to walk up with big packs! Plenty of vertical to bash. Better suited to dedicated 4WD (clearly) - if open?

Oh to ski them one day? One for a big (not too big) snow year?

@Boodwah has skiied them? Wouldn't be many turns but it's quite beautiful glades up high and so remote in winter

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
@Boodwah has skiied them? Wouldn't be many turns but it's quite beautiful glades up high and so remote in winter

True, it’s a ‘getting up there’ / ‘being up there’ range. Probably snow-shoeing would make more sense - most years/ weeks of winter. I don’t dabble with tennis racquets on my feet.

Fwiw: I recall Wild covered skiing in the Cobberas - late 80s ish.

Having been driven on the Black Mtn Rd in a big winter (late Aug 91’) - with some winching on one two deep snow drifts, there’s a good chance of getting one’s vehicle stranded for a while - just when the snow warrants an investigative trip up Mt C.

Getting the timing: good but not ‘too good’, is they key. Taking two plus 4WDs, winches and saws, the usual stuff, and good forecast and reports from sources on the ground (triangulation) where possible - maybe Parks in Omeo for starters.

…it’s got me thinking! ;)
(not this year)

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Is that Ingeegoodbee Track area?? I've been trying to go there for the last 2 years but it's always closed with no real explanation. I rang parks and they told me it's open but it's definitely not.
I was there (cobberas / macfarlanes / ingeegoodbee tracks) just prior to QBW a couple of years back before it closed. It really was deserving of warning signs, you wouldn't have wanted to tackle it without the right vehicle, experience and a spotter. Needed a grader to come through badly
Davies Plain track was one and those mentioned by by Hongo are in that group. Ingeegoodbee runs north to KNP and is now only a management track from the locked gate where it joins Macfarlanes and will not open. The others need so much work and will not open for sometime. Davies Plain took a number of years to get permissions for any work to be done but officially it was closed due to the track being dangerous.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Having been driven on the Black Mtn Rd in a big winter (late Aug 91’) - with some winching on one two deep snow drifts, there’s a good chance of getting one’s vehicle stranded for a while - just when the snow warrants an investigative trip up Mt C.
The Limestone road is still showing closed from the Misery trail to Wulgulmerang due to weather but that is crap. Not 2wd suitable but definitely OK for 4wd. There is still an hours walk from the gate to the start of the track up to Mt. Cobberas. Being there at the right time might mean you get a good ski but it is such a long way for most people. When that dump comes the road is closed from Benambra. Just with signs. No gate.
The Cobberas, Young's Top and Mt.Pinnibar.Three hikes to put in
my in tray after the ski season is done.
That 'in tray' is so big now you are may just have to take a whole year (or 2) off to clear it. You can drive to Pinnibar. Probably even in your car if you come in from the north. Not much of a walk but great views. There is enough in the Cobberas to set up a base camp at Native Dog Flat and day walk. Cowombat Flat track, Mt. Cobberas, Mt Stradbroke (dry weather only - lots of leeches.) just to name few.

Reactions: snowgum and Wally

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Last year.
A few other times hiking in autumn/spring.
You often have to politely shift the road closed signs, and should take a chainsaw.
MTBs are good for access from the Limestone Rd, and my friend wouldn't have made it without an eMTB.
There are lots of creek crossings on the way up and its hard not to get wet feet.
It's v beautiful w some crazy trees, & v remote, w awesome views over the Main Range.
A few gentle glades for skiing but not great lines although I could have looked further.
Does best w a SE Low when I suspect it can pick up tonnes of snow, but otherwise sits in a rain shadow from most other directions.

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Nice vehicle

Never owned one but have always thought the disco of that era is a great size and specced vehicle.

Yeh I own a D2a, they don't build them like that anymore. Solid axle front and rear, ladder frame. Can modify to your hearts content. Agree with the size, just right especially as a solo traveller or 1 up. Besides a couple of issues which are easily fixed, a very capable car out of the box. It's never failed to get me home

Reactions: GS and Boodwah

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Last year.
A few other times hiking in autumn/spring.
You often have to politely shift the road closed signs, and should take a chainsaw.
MTBs are good for access from the Limestone Rd, and my friend wouldn't have made it without an eMTB.
There are lots of creek crossings on the way up and its hard not to get wet feet.
It's v beautiful w some crazy trees, & v remote, w awesome views over the Main Range.
A few gentle glades for skiing but not great lines although I could have looked further.
Does best w a SE Low when I suspect it can pick up tonnes of snow, but otherwise sits in a rain shadow from most other directions.

It’s been about 20 years since I camped on (the flat just north of) Mt Cobberas 1 - time addles the memory.

But if one was on skis up top, there seemed to be one or two modest treeless gullies running to east / SE, just south of Cleft Peak. Certainly not worth hiking up just to tele/schuss.

It’s also an area where you don’t want to go breaking any bones - esp. winter with Heli vac access uncertain.

Summer ain’t so bad - but I didn’t see anyone else up to around about NYD the year Mrs SG & I walked up. (Easy-med 3-4 hrs).

Winter access times from somewhere on Limestone Rd would be substantial in the required, good snow.

It could be a day’s walk/ski from the car ‘park’ to the Playgrounds (foot of Mt C). With the main climb up on day #2.

Then day #3, #4 to explore…?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
It’s been about 20 years since I camped on (the flat just north of) Mt Cobberas 1 - time addles the memory.

But if one was on skis up top, there seemed to be one or two modest treeless gullies running to east / SE, just south of Cleft Peak. Certainly not worth hiking up just to tele/schuss.

It’s also an area where you don’t want to go breaking any bones - esp. winter with Heli vac access uncertain.

Summer ain’t so bad - but I didn’t see anyone else up to around about NYD the year Mrs SG & I walked up. (Easy-med 3-4 hrs).

Winter access times from somewhere on Limestone Rd would be substantial in the required, good snow.

It could be a day’s walk/ski from the car ‘park’ to the Playgrounds (foot of Mt C). With the main climb up on day #2.

Then day #3, #4 to explore…?
I reckon I could do it as a day-trip from dinner Plain.

legend

One of Us
Aug 22, 2004
lakes entrance
Cobberas is a 'Goldilocks' area. Too much snow and you won't get in over the several high passes on the Black Mountain Road. Too little and you won't find skiable snow. I've skied it twice (2m snow on Hotham and we had around 25cm across the Cobberas tops) and camped immediately below the summit cairn. Best skied after a cold 'east coast low' that has dumped snow (if Bombala has snow (or Omeo and Benambra), then you should be good).

Reactions: Chaeron and snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I reckon I could do it as a day-trip from dinner Plain.
In poor snow? That’s a big day, although you’ve fewer driving hours from MtC than most of us.

I’m not a great gait and light - long distance type but I do love the freedom of a light (less than 8-10 kg) daypack.

Heavy packs skiing - I’ve said it!

The Europeans and Kiwis have the right idea, build and use huts and take survival gear if you’re caught short.

So now we want (need?) a Cobberas Range refuge hut? ;)

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
In poor snow? That’s a big day, although you’ve fewer driving hours from MtC than most of us.

I’m not a great gait and light - long distance type but I do love the freedom of a light (less than 8-10 kg) daypack.

The Europeans and Kiwis have the right idea, build and use huts and take survival gear if you’re caught short.

I think spellchecker has screwed my punchlines:

Should read: 1) ‘fast and light’
2) heavy pack when skiing ‘suck’!

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I reckon the 4wd is another tool for accessing the BC, so I think mentioning them is loosely related to a bc chatter thread.
Locked gate access tool
IMG_4211.jpg

Still in testing at this stage, I believe if you sleep with the battery you can get away with it in snow (have ridden in snow, but the battery doesn't like a cold night)

I was thinking about buying a 4wd, Ive always had one until I got a van, but I still need the van, so...

Turns out its really fun, Ive nearly done 1000klm on it already.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au

Big day out definitely, but doable.
1.5 hr drive if road clear, DP to Native Dog trailhead
8km bike, mostly flat, few ups
2km 'bushbash' to snowline
2km ski to summit
Only 500m climb in total
Then same in reverse

Reactions: zapruda and skifree

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Locked gate access tool
IMG_4211.jpg

Still in testing at this stage, I believe if you sleep with the battery you can get away with it in snow (have ridden in snow, but the battery doesn't like a cold night)

I was thinking about buying a 4wd, Ive always had one until I got a van, but I still need the van, so...

Nice one. Did you make the trailer yourself? Does it carry another battery?

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Big day out definitely, but doable.
1.5 hr drive if road clear, DP to Native Dog trailhead
8km bike, mostly flat, few ups
2km 'bushbash' to snowline
2km ski to summit
Only 500m climb in total
Then same in reverse

Not even a full day. I did it last year as a day trip from DP, no snow, no bike, trail running from the car. Didn't even have a plan in the morning, it's not far from DP. Probably left after 11am, started running around 1pm, driving thru benambra by sunset

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
At the cost of the health of the most majestic river in the joint :(

VIC could have said NO we'll keep the water as it is back at the time.

Anyhow, was done before our time and we are where we are. On the upside the Jindy dam was replaced to let more water down the Snowy.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
We may do some control works but there's still waaaay too many pest animals in ANP, including horses

Too many everywhere.

The amount of deer and what looked like large fresh dog prints skiing up to Bluff Hut last weekend was a little unnerving. Even over near the Blowhole there were older tracks in the snow that looked like dog. Looked too big for dingo but not sure.

Reactions: Chaeron and skifree

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Locked gate access tool
IMG_4211.jpg

Burn a lot of battery riding through snow, I got caught out on mine once and they're heavy bikes to have to push out.
That's an awesome rig though.

Reactions: telecrag

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Too many everywhere.

The amount of deer and what looked like large fresh dog prints skiing up to Bluff Hut last weekend was a little unnerving. Even over near the Blowhole there were older tracks in the snow that looked like dog. Looked too big for dingo but not sure.
Dogs everywhere. Had many run ins with them over the years. Had an inquisitive one follow me for literally 10km on cowombat flat tk last season. I tried to pat it at one stage but it wouldn't let me get closer than a few metres. Probably wondering wtf is a human doing out here this time of year lol

Screenshot_20220622-135103_Gallery.jpg 20210813_080356.jpg

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Dogs everywhere. Had many run ins with them over the years. Had an inquisitive one follow me for literally 10km on cowombat flat tk last season. I tried to pat it at one stage but it wouldn't let me get closer than a few metres. Probably wondering wtf is a human doing out here this time of year lol

Screenshot_20220622-135103_Gallery.jpg 20210813_080356.jpg

Just be carefull it hasn't got 10 of its mates out of view following you also. My cousin was out bow hunting a few years back and thought he was stalking the dog until he realised they were stalking him. Spent some time up in a tree.

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Just be carefull it hasn't got 10 of its mates out of view following you also. My cousin was out bow hunting a few years back and thought he was stalking the dog until he realised they were stalking him. Spent some time up in a tree.

I was pretty convinced this one was by itself and just curious. It was even bounding away playfully when I tried to get close. I've had run ins with a mum with its pups and it wasn't bothered

Reactions: Snow Blowey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass