jonathanc

toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
A guy I used to ride motorbikes with came around a corner at high speed and nearly crashed into a large pack of wild dogs eating roadkill right in the middle of the road. They weren't dingo mixes - they looked like pig hunting dogs.

He came to a stop to avoid them and they did not even flinch, and after a couple of seconds they started to move toward him. He cracked the throttle, aimed at the edge of the pack and hoped it all worked out.

This was maybe 30kms as the crow flies from the Canberra CBD, so possibly a bunch of recently escaped hunting dogs rather than true wild dogs.

Reactions: hongomania

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I was riding my bike along a pretty remote dirt road near Jindy recently (Paupong). A farmer had strung a few foxes and wild dogs up on a fence, as some farmers seem to do. He also had strung up a huge feral dog from a tree. The thing was enormous, looked like it had a lot of german shepherd in it, and was more the size of a bear :eek: Probably had been living off the farmers sheep, and killing lots more for entertainment.

There are a lot around here, both in KNP as well as farming areas.

Here is an old article about it, which has a pic of dogs strung up in the area I saw the recent ones
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2015-03-10/wild-dogs-rise-in-dalgety-nsw-sheep/6292454

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
NSW guys can wave the poo tube at them.....then they will scamper off!
200.gif

Reactions: hongomania

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I was riding my bike along a pretty remote dirt road near Jindy recently (Paupong). A farmer had strung a few foxes and wild dogs up on a fence, as some farmers seem to do. He also had strung up a huge feral dog from a tree. The thing was enormous, looked like it had a lot of german shepherd in it, and was more the size of a bear :eek: Probably had been living off the farmers sheep, and killing lots more for entertainment.

There are a lot around here, both in KNP as well as farming areas.

Here is an old article about it, which has a pic of dogs strung up in the area I saw the recent ones
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2015-03-10/wild-dogs-rise-in-dalgety-nsw-sheep/6292454
Nice riding country.

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
Has anyone done any off track walking in Gundabooka NP? I’m going a bit stir crazy at home and have been scouring the maps and this place popped up. Looks like there is a bit of potential for a 2 to 4 day route through the park.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I've just done the marked track up to the top. It's relatively sparse scrubby country so would imagine you can pick a course without needing to bash scrub.

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
I've just done the marked track up to the top. It's relatively sparse scrubby country so would imagine you can pick a course without needing to bash scrub.
Thanks. The plan would be to cross the tops and loop around the bottom. The sat images didn’t make it look too bad but it’s good to get some actual intel.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Has anyone done any off track walking in Gundabooka NP? I’m going a bit stir crazy at home and have been scouring the maps and this place popped up. Looks like there is a bit of potential for a 2 to 4 day route through the park.
A bit boring . Why not have a look at Kaputar area.

Reactions: Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I think all those pics are on a PC 400km away so i can't get at them.

I don't do too much walking but i tend to like views. Once you get to the top of gundabooka you sort of see all the views you are going to see out there. The surrounds are just flat but the vegetation is probably 5-15m tall so when you are down on the flats everything looks the same. When you are up the top looking down all the flats look the same. Its mostly flat as far as you can see in all directions.

I do have this shot i took about 50km north of Gundabooka looking south toward it across the darling plains sort of shows you what i mean. Note foreground is not what its like at the base of Gundabooka.

IMG_0301.jpg

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW

Pictures 1, 2 and 4 here show the open country in slightly raised ground around the base of the mountain. Pic three is looking NE from the top. The dark scrub on the surrounding flats is the stuff thats 5-15m high. You can see it stretches to the horizon and when you are in that stuff you will see no further than 100m and it all looks the same.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Again - i'm a bit of a lazy. I think these sorts of area lend themselves to car touring with some day walks. I really enjoyed a few short walk i did in Sturt NP out from Tibooburra. Some very different landscapes out there.

Mutawintji NP may be more what you are after. Its a bit hillier and more open. Not sure how easy it is to get permission to walk freely around there as its an aboriginal run park with restrictions.

We did work in all these parks about 10 years ago so i mostly just drove in and out with a few short walks as free time permitted. It was the middle of summer so it wasn't that appealing to do any more. Just a bit of filler between finishing work and waiting for the sun to drop so i could cook my tee without 1000 flies landing in it.

Reactions: Chaeron and zapruda

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra

Pictures 1, 2 and 4 here show the open country in slightly raised ground around the base of the mountain. Pic three is looking NE from the top. The dark scrub on the surrounding flats is the stuff thats 5-15m high. You can see it stretches to the horizon and when you are in that stuff you will see no further than 100m and it all looks the same.

Thanks @Snow Blowey. It’s looks good to me. I don’t mind those wide open spaces. There is something nice about it.

There also seems to be a few gorges and interesting geological formations across the uplift. Some might be off limits for cultural reasons but If not they’d be worth exploring.

Reactions: skifree

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
Again - i'm a bit of a lazy. I think these sorts of area lend themselves to car touring with some day walks. I really enjoyed a few short walk i did in Sturt NP out from Tibooburra. Some very different landscapes out there.

Mutawintji NP may be more what you are after. Its a bit hillier and more open. Not sure how easy it is to get permission to walk freely around there as its an aboriginal run park with restrictions.

We did work in all these parks about 10 years ago so i mostly just drove in and out with a few short walks as free time permitted. It was the middle of summer so it wasn't that appealing to do any more. Just a bit of filler between finishing work and waiting for the sun to drop so i could cook my tee without 1000 flies landing in it.

Mutawintji is great. I had a good time exploring through there a few years ago outside of the specific cultural area. I’m planning on going back in a months time as part of larger road trip through western NSW, SA and NT.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Just be carefull it hasn't got 10 of its mates out of view following you also. My cousin was out bow hunting a few years back and thought he was stalking the dog until he realised they were stalking him. Spent some time up in a tree.
We have shot a few dogs. Lots of Kelpie types. Never had any trouble with Alpine Dingos and we come in contact with them regularly. They tend to be solitary or a pair. Seems the crosses and feral domestic types are the ones to watch out for but living and walking in wild dog country I can say I have never had an issue but know of people who say they have been stalked or harassed.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Locked gate access tool
IMG_4211.jpg

Still in testing at this stage, I believe if you sleep with the battery you can get away with it in snow (have ridden in snow, but the battery doesn't like a cold night)

I was thinking about buying a 4wd, Ive always had one until I got a van, but I still need the van, so...

Turns out its really fun, Ive nearly done 1000klm on it already.
Just a note of caution for Vic people. Unsure of the NSW legislation. I raised an eyebrow with a ranger friend after talking about a winter bike trip but explained we had not erred in the legislation. The NP Act and regulations in Vic may prohibit riding bikes on seasonally closed tracks. A bike is classed as a vehicle. The Act (actually the regulations under the Act) does not prohibit riding bikes on management tracks (which are closed all the time) where the management track is available for bike riding normally. We only rode management tracks. Not saying don't but you could come across a ranger who might question you about it and ignorance is not a defence.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
I recall seeing a very black dog and pups along Brocks rd in Upper Jamieson valley back in around 1982/83 while riding a motorbike, so they've been around for a while.

Reactions: Chaeron

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Just a note of caution for Vic people. Unsure of the NSW legislation. I raised an eyebrow with a ranger friend after talking about a winter bike trip but explained we had not erred in the legislation. The NP Act and regulations in Vic may prohibit riding bikes on seasonally closed tracks. A bike is classed as a vehicle. The Act (actually the regulations under the Act) does not prohibit riding bikes on management tracks (which are closed all the time) where the management track is available for bike riding normally. We only rode management tracks. Not saying don't but you could come across a ranger who might question you about it and ignorance is not a defence.
ACT has areas you are not allowed to ride a bike in also. So it’s not a total solution, however in my case it replaces a 4WD, cheaper, cleaner, and does less damage to the particular road.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
There is always going to be somewhere scrubbier. And there is always going to be someone that tells you about it. Usually a Tasmanian.

But getting caught up in mulga is no fun, even sparse mulga.

Sorry, it was not intended to be a dick waving question.

Maybe a better way of putting the query would have been what level of scrub bashing is it.

Flinders Ranges scrub bashing is quite different to
Lofty Ranges
Deep Creek
KNP regular
KNP regrowth
Tas, a long list spanning from push a aside to walk on top then unpenetratable (10 foot scoparia).

Reactions: zapruda

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
Sorry, it was not intended to be a dick waving question.

Maybe a better way of putting the query would have been what level of scrub bashing is it.

Flinders Ranges scrub bashing is quite different to
Lofty Ranges
Deep Creek
KNP regular
KNP regrowth
Tas, a long list spanning from push a aside to walk on top then unpenetratable (10 foot scoparia).
I was just poking some fun :cheers:

For me, if it isn't Namadgi or the Budawangs then it's probably going to be fine.

plazzo

Hard Yards
Oct 25, 2012
newcastle
www.soothingscience.com.au
NSW rogaining champs are there this year if you wanna check out the nooks an crannies.

Reactions: skifree

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Please move to another thread if required. Arguably worthy of bc Chatter as this is where I get primed for my adventures

After 4 years and LOTS of effort (fully gutted, moved stud wall, transporting trailers in June blizzards just to name a few), drying room / laundry renovations are 90%+ done

finishing touches left now, but importantly skis are mounted on the wall

10x Italian crafted stainless steel leather wrapped racks totally worth the $180 per unit cost

The room used to show every bit of its 30+ year age and was smaller and not insulated, water damaged etc

Also note the wall mounted custom built electronically controlled water valve control unit. If anyone is interested PM me

2500x800mm window - talk about bringing the outside in

Thanks to bc_bro_au (instagram) couldn't have done it without him

20190603_173315.jpg
IMG-20220624-WA0043.jpg
IMG-20220624-WA0045.jpg
Screenshot_20220624-221419_Messages.jpg

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
NSW rogaining champs are there this year if you wanna check out the nooks an crannies.

Thanks for that, some good pics in there.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Please move to another thread if required. Arguably worthy of bc Chatter as this is where I get primed for my adventures

After 4 years and LOTS of effort (fully gutted, moved stud wall, transporting trailers in June blizzards just to name a few), drying room / laundry renovations are 90%+ done

finishing touches left now, but importantly skis are mounted on the wall

10x Italian crafted stainless steel leather wrapped racks totally worth the $180 per unit cost

The room used to show every bit of its 30+ year age and was smaller and not insulated, water damaged etc

Also note the wall mounted custom built electronically controlled water valve control unit. If anyone is interested PM me

2500x800mm window - talk about bringing the outside in

Thanks to bc_bro_au (instagram) couldn't have done it without him

20190603_173315.jpg
IMG-20220624-WA0043.jpg
IMG-20220624-WA0045.jpg
Screenshot_20220624-221419_Messages.jpg
Got a link for the racks?

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Bye bye off track walking in the Grampians?

464ED08D-7E29-4CBC-B343-25BEF1C2E6B6.jpeg
Eco-Fascism and beurocratic overreach in the guize of advancing indigenous rights or environmental protection.

I am not necessarily convinced this exclusion derives explicitly and solely from an authentic desire to protect indigenous heritage and advance indigenous rights.

Channel increasing numbers into limited, must-book, pseudo-commercial tracks and largely abandon a neglected, increasingly degrading ‘protected’ area, claiming limited management resources and paltry budgets to focus on enhancing core ‘high value’ experiences for ‘key stakeholders’.

A Parks Policy straight out of Spring Street, with an emphasis on pay as you go consumerism.

Victoria is very good at locking its citizens out of state land (Yarra Water locking up catchments, while simultaneously letting them degrade away from the public eye)

Hardly an alternative to the more traditional leasing of Parks to private beneficiaries.

/End ‘Off Topic’ Rant/ (maybe needs to be carved into a separate thread so we preserve the ‘chatty’ nature of BC chat)

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Eco-Fascism and beurocratic overreach in the guize of advancing indigenous rights or environmental protection.

I am not necessarily convinced this exclusion derives explicitly and solely from an authentic desire to protect indigenous heritage and advance indigenous rights.

Channel increasing numbers into limited, must-book, pseudo-commercial tracks and largely abandon a neglected, increasingly degrading ‘protected’ area, claiming limited management resources and paltry budgets to focus on enhancing core ‘high value’ experiences for ‘key stakeholders’.

A Parks Policy straight out of Spring Street, with an emphasis on pay as you go consumerism.

Victoria is very good at locking its citizens out of state land (Yarra Water locking up catchments, while simultaneously letting them degrade away from the public eye)

Hardly an alternative to the more traditional leasing of Parks to private beneficiaries.

/End ‘Off Topic’ Rant/ (maybe needs to be carved into a separate thread so we preserve the ‘chatty’ nature of BC chat)
It has relevance here but also the other thread about commercial development in national parks.

"I am not necessarily convinced this exclusion derives explicitly and solely from an authentic desire to protect indigenous heritage and advance indigenous rights." This bit is the real crux but it may not be all from Spring St.

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass