zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
Some more of Half Moon. Got some good turns but not so good pics in down towards Mt.Morgan. Skied all the way back down to the Tarn. Tight going from there to Clear Ridge FT. A truly special place.
20220724_120532.jpg
20220724_125838.jpg
20220724_121837.jpg
20220724_122546.jpg

Solid mate! Not too people many can say they’ve skied Half Moon. Looked like the day for it.

art

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004
Some more of Half Moon. Got some good turns but not so good pics in down towards Mt.Morgan. Skied all the way back down to the Tarn. Tight going from there to Clear Ridge FT. A truly special place.

Would be interested in seeing a GPS track of where you went if you can?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Me, on Crosscut Saw on Tuesday 19th, after leaving Vallejo Gantner hut.
It never got warmer than apparent -8C at Mt Buller that day - and we camped out that night.
I am still not right, even after the comfy 9hr XPT from Wangaratta to Sydney on Thursday.
Photo credit to Grant E.

1658629437605.png
You have skis, whats with the snow shoes?!?

Reactions: Boodwah and Tanuki

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Would be interested in seeing a GPS track of where you went if you can?
Access is very conditions dependant - Full 4WD set up mandatory. Expect very slow going due to dense vegetation up to the 1670 metres mark. ie you couldnt ski it even with deep cover, in which case you probably wouldnt be able to get up the Fire Trail.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
I'm in the market for a new pair of skins, I have previously used the G3 (100% mohair) and Black Diamond (100% nylon). I went to the BD from the G3 because I thought that the nylon would work better in the waterlogged Australian spring conditions, however the glue has clapped out (way too early) on the BD skin (not one of the warrantied ones, just prior to though) so now I am wondering if I should buy a hybrid skin. Does anybody use the hybrid skins, how do you find them?

Reactions: VSG

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I'm in the market for a new pair of skins, I have previously used the G3 (100% mohair) and Black Diamond (100% nylon). I went to the BD from the G3 because I thought that the nylon would work better in the waterlogged Australian spring conditions, however the glue has clapped out (way too early) on the BD skin (not one of the warrantied ones, just prior to though) so now I am wondering if I should buy a hybrid skin. Does anybody use the hybrid skins, how do you find them?
I've been touring on hybrid skins the last few years but admittedly haven't really put them through their technical paces in steep, icy locations. If you rate glide and have good technique for grip they're worth a look.

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
I've been touring on hybrid skins the last few years but admittedly haven't really put them through their technical paces in steep, icy locations. If you rate glide and have good technique for grip they're worth a look.
Which brand? The contour cleaning interval is a bit of a turnoff, the pocoma pro s glide look good but hard to source

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Which brand? The contour cleaning interval is a bit of a turnoff, the pocoma pro s glide look good but hard to source
Black Crows branded, Contour manufactured.

Current Crows skins are Pomoca, which we also stock. (They're 120mm wide, just realised our site doesn't say)

Reactions: catzizme

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
Black Crows branded, Contour manufactured.

Current Crows skins are Pomoca, which we also stock. (They're 120mm wide, just realised our site doesn't say)

Do you know if any weird maintenance is required for them?

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
No. Pomoca's just use glue like a traditional skins, no special maintenance.

In relation to the pomoca tail clip, it usually fits most skis but if you have issues, pomoca also sell a add-on twin tip attachment which works great (best clip out there actually imo).

my 2c, tail clips are great and help prevent a significant amount of problems / skins not sticking issues. Pretty essential when breaking trail in powder by preventing ingress from spreading at the tail but to each their own. :emoji_arrows_counterclockwise:

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
No. Pomoca's just use glue like a traditional skins, no special maintenance.

In relation to the pomoca tail clip, it usually fits most skis but if you have issues, pomoca also sell a add-on twin tip attachment which works great (best clip out there actually imo).

my 2c, tail clips are great and help prevent a significant amount of problems / skins not sticking issues. Pretty essential when breaking trail in powder by preventing ingress from spreading at the tail but to each their own. :emoji_arrows_counterclockwise:
I can't imagine skinning in australian slush with completely waterlogged skins and no tail clip either.

But our guide just runs up stuff that I need crampons for!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

decreed_it

Early Days
Jul 25, 2022
hey now, new to the forums, and this beautiful country, just relo'd from US of A. Wasn't sure where to stick this as there's no hello world thread it seems, so here goes. Experienced skier, beginner Alpine Tourer, have done 101 class back in the Wasatch, Utah, USA.

Really interested in shaking down some gear and, more importantly, myself to get ready for a Japan 2023 trip (God willin' and the covid don't spike again!) - and trying to book on w/ Alpine Backcountry out of Berridale.

There's just one small problem - there's no where to stay? Is rough/car (roof top tent?) camping allowed somewhere trail side or near town? Any hostels, clubs, floors or couches may have overlooked on the main sites? The very few places that are avail to overnight are . . . bananas. We're living up in Sydney (had to per the relo, company requirement) so not much choice but to sleep over, can't make a day trip out of it from here.

thanks for any insights! Really want to try out skiing here, just shocked at the lack of access to accommodation of ANY kind not just cheap/affordable. Seriously, anything (just not 1600/night!)

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
hey now, new to the forums, and this beautiful country, just relo'd from US of A. Wasn't sure where to stick this as there's no hello world thread it seems, so here goes. Experienced skier, beginner Alpine Tourer, have done 101 class back in the Wasatch, Utah, USA.

Really interested in shaking down some gear and, more importantly, myself to get ready for a Japan 2023 trip (God willin' and the covid don't spike again!) - and trying to book on w/ Alpine Backcountry out of Berridale.

There's just one small problem - there's no where to stay? Is rough/car (roof top tent?) camping allowed somewhere trail side or near town? Any hostels, clubs, floors or couches may have overlooked on the main sites? The very few places that are avail to overnight are . . . bananas. We're living up in Sydney (had to per the relo, company requirement) so not much choice but to sleep over, can't make a day trip out of it from here.

thanks for any insights! Really want to try out skiing here, just shocked at the lack of access to accommodation of ANY kind not just cheap/affordable. Seriously, anything (just not 1600/night!)
Howdy and welcome.
There are free National Park campsites in Kosciusko NP at Ngarigo and Thredbo Diggings on the Alpine Way near Thredbo and at Island Bend on the Guthega Rd.
Unfortunately Covid and overcrowding have changed things and there is now an abused online booking system.
However checkout the NPWS website for availability and also check out the Caravan Parks for campsites or cabins.
Stealth car camping is unfortunately now also frowned upon.
Good luck.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
In Victoria caravan parks in Mt Beautyand Tawonga are affordable and people also camp in state parks in the approaches to Hotham and Falls Creek.

Motels within an hour’s drive of the resorts are another option - with some people in NSW also staying in the sattelite towns on the way to the snow.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

Welcome!

Reactions: decreed_it

LevRMark

Hard Yards
Jun 8, 2010
ACT, Australia
Have you considered re-gluing your existing skins? It's not too much of a faff. I've had good success using the G3 regluing kit. You just need to thoroughly remove the old glue - liberal use of turps and scrapper works well in my experience.

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
Have you considered re-gluing your existing skins? It's not too much of a faff. I've had good success using the G3 regluing kit. You just need to thoroughly remove the old glue - liberal use of turps and scrapper works well in my experience.

It was my original plan and then I started to read about the hybrid skins. I'm now leaning towards the contour brand again after watching a couple of videos and seeing that the glue refresh/wash isn't too onerous. I have now read that a thing to do is wax your skins to prevent waterlogging, does anyone do this?

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for answering my questions everyone, I just wanted an Australian perspective because a lot of the gear is American dry snow reviewed and not spring, when I tend to tour.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
We get sticky snow regularly even in winter as temperatures quickly climb above zero on the first fine day after a snowfall. It tends to be a problem when you have a melty surface with nice dry snow underneath.

Clumping snow on skins is a common problem so waxing skins highly recommended.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Whilst on subject of skins, anyone have any suggestions for skins that are too sticky? Mine keep on leaving big clumps of glue on ski surface when I take them off. I never added any glue, don’t know why this has started happening
G3 glue sheets, it’s a pain the ass job that I’ve just done to mine, put newspaper on the glue then iron it to soften then scrap it off. Takes a few passes

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Cheers, Pinnibar & Gibbo look well coated this winter.

Those 2019/20 fires have decimated the snow guns on many aspects - if there’s snow, you’ll see it much easier than years past. Whether it’s created new runs - unlikely. Will suss it out one year soon. Not this year.

Doing CP day tours (finally) at start of Sept - I might see some of you up that way?

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Whilst on subject of skins, anyone have any suggestions for skins that are too sticky? Mine keep on leaving big clumps of glue on ski surface when I take them off. I never added any glue, don’t know why this has started happening
@Boodwah this is the first indication that your glue is on its way out. If the plush is still in good condition then re-glue them. Best to remove the old glue with a heat gun (paint stripper) and scraper. Unless you're repairing spots on your skins, don't bother with tubes of glue, just get the iron sheets.

Then iron on the new glue.

Or better still buy a new pair of Contour skins.

teletripper

One of Us
Aug 4, 2007
Jindabyne
yes. just rub wax on dry skin. start with iron on lowest setting and adjust hotter incrementally until you melt wax into hairs. too hot will melt the hairs.
Do you just use a standard type glop stopper style skin wax if melting on, or do you recommend some other wax??. Only ever just rubbed it on in both directions in block form. Have to try the heat method for better performance??

Last edited:

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Do you just use a standard type glop stopper style skin wax if melting on, or do you recommend some other wax??. Only every just rubbed it on in both directions in block form. Have to try the heat method for better performance??

I just used some generic ski wax. The heat would definitely ensure it gets a nice even cover. Just be sure to start the iron as cool as it will go and work up in temperature until you feel it start to glide over the wax.

Reactions: teletripper

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Anyone have any experience with the contour skins on a pattern base? Wondering if the glue will stick well to my ultravector BCs

Can't speak for tail clip style skins, but tail hook full cover skins are held on by the rubber bungy at the tip moreso than the glue. I have 20 year old skins with next to no glue and these will stick due to the robust tip and tail system. For some reason this system is less common these days. All the skins for sale these days have the long tail strap which leaves a section of the tail of the ski uncovered and means they don't climb as steep.

Reactions: notty and Rimey

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
Can't speak for tail clip style skins, but tail hook full cover skins are held on by the rubber bungy at the tip moreso than the glue. I have 20 year old skins with next to no glue and these will stick due to the robust tip and tail system. For some reason this system is less common these days. All the skins for sale these days have the long tail strap which leaves a section of the tail of the ski uncovered and means they don't climb as steep.
My dynafit skins are like this. Hook at tail, bungee at tip. Almost doesn’t matter if the glue is working or not.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
My dynafit skins are like this. Hook at tail, bungee at tip. Almost doesn’t matter if the glue is working or not.
Dynafit system is rock solid, compared to G3 or Black Diamond end hooks.

Having said that I also tour with patterned bases and kicker skins and crampons - everything has its place.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
For some reason this system is less common these days. All the skins for sale these days have the long tail strap which leaves a section of the tail of the ski uncovered and means they don't climb as steep.

It's a weight saving measure with most touring skis being somewhat powder focused and having rockered tips & tails meaning their mostly off the snow anyway. G3 has those skins with the elongated plastic tip for this too*. *I have a pair of these are they're dumb, the plastic tip strip doesn't bend - making it more bulky not less to pack, lets snow in more than it should and isn't a significant weight saving to boot, so would rather just have material to the tips.

A plus of the long ski strap-esqe tails is a long adjustment range. You can use on multiple pairs of skis / keep your skins for your next ski etc.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Can’t speak as to the alpine elevations but around 1900 - 2000 ASL its a real mixed bag. Didn’t bother to head more than a few hundred metres beyond the resort boundary (PV).

Cover is fine however the weather 36 hours ago has left a lot of ice interspersed with a some drifts. A few little spots where I skied the snow just slid away underfoot to expose the ice. Paralyser and nearby can wait a few more days.

79E58C54-1559-4FDC-8AD4-45DFF84ABE2D.jpeg

733AAA86-C7DB-4B25-8584-19EDB2EA10B4.jpeg

Andrew Wicks

Hard Yards
May 26, 2021
I have found it difficult to reverse sticky glue once it starts. I suspect the culprit in my case was storage at Australian summer room temperature. I now keep my skins in the fridge when not in use and the glue seems to be staying appropriately sticky.
I have also found Orange Power Spot Remover ( orange oil) removes the skin glue from ski base quite well and I now carry a small container in my ski repair kit.

Reactions: The Bluff
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using