AT&TeleMike

One of Us
Jun 15, 2017
Snow and ice has chewed my tail clips. First pair of skins haven't got tail clips and still work fine. Only time I've blessed tail clips is when the glue freezes/fails.
IMG_20220727_150046_HDR.jpg
Same thing happened to my Voile skins last year when trying to go up Kosi from Thredbo in very icy conditions. Obviously an oversight by Voile. Probably not a problem in the Northern Hemisphere because they don't get as much destructive boiler plate ice like we get here.

Reactions: Myazma

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
Good day out near Gill's Knobs. some aspects getting direct sun early went a bit mushy as is normal but those angles just of perpendicular to the sun held dryish snow till mid morning. Ran into @LevRMark half way up the first climb and we had a very pleasant morning together. Truth be told, have not had many mornings like this this season.
IMG_9912 (1).jpeg
IMG_9915 (1).jpeg
IMG_9919 (1).jpeg
IMG_9923 (1).jpeg
IMG_9924 (1).jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LevRMark

Hard Yards
Jun 8, 2010
ACT, Australia
Good day out near Gill's Knobs. some aspects getting direct sun early went a bit mushy as is normal but those angles just of perpendicular to the sun held dryish snow till mid morning. Ran into @LevRMark half way up the first climb and we had a very pleasant morning together. Truth be told, have not had many mornings like this this season.
IMG_9912 (1).jpeg
IMG_9915 (1).jpeg
IMG_9919 (1).jpeg
IMG_9923 (1).jpeg
IMG_9924 (1).jpeg

Thanks for an excellent mornings skiing @telenomore. It was also great to catch-up. After fuelling up I did one more run to skiers right - see Strava screen grab - a few funky bits but the slightly more southly aspect held a bit more nice snow.

2022D2Runs.PNG

IMG_8251.jpg

IMG_8262.jpg

IMG_8265.jpg

IMG_8269.jpg

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
When +0.95 (Mk III) is having difficulty with an ice traverse and you decide the best way out is to ditch skis and glissade, make sure the skis don't have a mind of their own......

0002.jpg

0001.jpg

0003.jpg
0004.jpg
0005.jpg
0006.jpg

Skis started journey from centre top of first photo.
Good move!
Save the skis, leave Mk III to drown.
Transition to Mk IV

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
When +0.95 (Mk III) is having difficulty with an ice traverse and you decide the best way out is to ditch skis and glissade, make sure the skis don't have a mind of their own......

0002.jpg

0001.jpg

0003.jpg
0004.jpg
0005.jpg
0006.jpg

Skis started journey from centre top of first photo.

Impressive they nearly cleared the watery crevasse.

Reactions: Fozzie Bear
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

teletripper

One of Us
Aug 4, 2007
Jindabyne
If they weren’t patterned based they most likely would have. Always amazing how runaway equipment always tends to find its end resting point in the most precarious of locations. Dropped my swix glide wax container at the top of Falls creek bowl out of Guthega towards the end of last season. It ended up in the only hole exposed in the creek below and was a mission to retrieve it. Glad it ended well for you @Fozzie Bear . Could have been worse!

Reactions: jonathanc

jharro

Hard Yards
Aug 24, 2020
Wondering if anyone can help me out here. When do NPWS usually open the road to Charlottes Pass?

I know it's scheduled for the Oct long weekend, but more specifically the last few seasons has it been open by the Sat, Sun, Mon or later?

Ty in advance. Planning a BC trip that weekend

jonathanc

upright toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
If they weren’t patterned based they most likely would have. Always amazing how runaway equipment always tends to find its end resting point in the most precarious of locations. Dropped my swix glide wax container at the top of Falls creek bowl out of Guthega towards the end of last season. It ended up in the only hole exposed in the creek below and was a mission to retrieve it. Glad it ended well for you @Fozzie Bear . Could have been worse!
I dropped a helmet off mt twynam a few years back. It did a few nice jumps and landed in a very deep creek hole from which we definitely weren't going to try and retrieve it.

I like to think it became a nice artificial trout habitat somewhere further down the hill.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

3decks

One of Us
Feb 1, 2002
Can anyone let me know what the Thredbo Backcountry access ride ticket is worth atm? Latest info I could see was $42 last year.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Loving my kicker skins of late - been out with friends with full length skins and also pattern bases and don't need anything more for current side country stints
On Saturday I gamed things even further - tech bindings on patterned base as usual but with ski crampons on the firm snow for steeper terrain - no skins, not even kicker skins.

Transisioning involves clicking the crampons in or out and rotating the heel fittings.

It works… Certainly not common practice, but why not.

I carry crampons, kicker skins and full lenght skins for the patterned bases on mixed rolling terrain, and full length skins and crampons for the unpatterned touring skis for steeper terrain.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
On Saturday I gamed things even further - tech bindings on patterned base as usual but with ski crampons on the firm snow for steeper terrain - no skins, not even kicker skins.

Transisioning involves clicking the crampons in or out and rotating the heel fittings.

It works… Certainly not common practice, but why not.

Wouldn't say that. Has been my default with Ultravector BC for 2 season now. Have skins but have not used them.

• Haha
Reactions: timbat and Chaeron

Endless_Winter

One of Us
Apr 23, 2013
Melbourne
fuck me technology is annoying- sorry I’ve tried to post this about 5 times…

Thanks to the fat snowpack, I have had a most enjoyable few weeks out touring. Whilst the solar aspects are possibly a little fried, anything south facing is still buried to quite low elevation.

The small top up snowfalls, combined with a prevailing wind have made lee slopes pretty fun lately.

One of my favourite places after a small snowfall is the SE faces of Mt Loch. I honestly don’t understand the lack of tracks in here. It is one of the steepest and deepest aspects with easy access. Steep, deep, lee and shady. It can even be done in bad weather providing you find the right point to drop in.

3D551FB7-A67D-4142-B756-AFAB46BFBA28.jpeg

In firm condition, I’d want ski crampons. Managed to avoid them on this day. There’d been about 5cm of snow, which meant around 15-20cm here. The lower you go, the steeper it gets so it’s quite a technical skin out.

296BD0DF-3381-43F1-9BEB-248A96D0CC63.jpeg

My old, crappy, soft pole baskets proved unreliable and at one point I lost one as the pole disappeared up to almost the handle (rotten snow near a snow gum). Had a more solid replacement in my pack thankfully!

The main bowl at Loch was also holding good snow, also surprisingly with no tracks. The weather came in and I had to wait for a weather window in the cold.
56164371-D4B9-449D-BE91-93127A5365DB.jpeg

There must be a deer family on the S end as I always see a deer uptrack that makes an easy skin out Albeit with a minor crux!
958D0DE2-65B9-490D-916C-9A34B91F16AD.jpeg

Also enjoyed some great turns on the razorback after a small southerly snowfall. It was a fine day and I had planned on dargo bowl, not realising there was a strong southerly initially. Worked it out quickly on the way up and decided to park at Diamantina hut.
AEFD941D-6A8A-4A14-A877-EF819FDAE769.jpeg

one of those days where the resort was tracked out (and partially ungroomed) garbage, but find the right aspect in the backcountry and you are laughing.
354A19EE-94C5-471F-8CAC-9B9FF077DE4A.jpeg

Loaded gully
1FD05A2F-FFDD-4403-AB8D-5B30F97468E6.jpeg

ran into @sidetrack out there and had a quick chat (sorry to rush off mate), would’ve loved to do a run but had to get back.
ED324BB3-9F17-48E9-9824-82C1018F4E1E.jpeg

Minor wind transport in the cornice tops!
7295EAF2-E389-4C4D-BB48-383501A5AC56.jpeg

Took little “kitsune” for a ski at dinner plain today
7DABEC1A-389F-49F7-8CD1-79C85640B2B9.jpeg
E46106C3-D8D3-4B6D-8AE9-2510F9B8EEAC.jpeg

let’s hope there’s not too much snowpack damage from the upcoming rain.
706DC97D-DC41-4EFD-A643-146893894982.jpeg

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Loving my kicker skins of late - been out with friends with full length skins and also pattern bases and don't need anything more for current side country stints
Just out of interest, do you use the globestopper wax? To me it’s helps maintain glide speed on flats.

You can also apply anti-icing lubricant - I’m unsure if this does as much as globestopper.

But I agree, for undulating tours and modest climbs, kickers blow full length kind into the dust. The ability to keep your skins on for short downhill sections is gold.

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
Glad I don't live in nsw. Have to book camp-sites and pay a fee, wholeheartedly disagree with that management model (except for major sites only during peak holiday periods). Can't even stay at island bend anymore. This country is going down the toilet, not being able to freely access campgrounds smh
I agree to a point. But is Victoria really looking any better?

Can’t walk off track in Grampians, introduction of “booking only bushwalks” in Grampians and alpine. Major limitations to recreational activities including climbing and fishing.

Slippery slope everywhere at the moment it seems.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Glad I don't live in nsw. Have to book camp-sites and pay a fee, wholeheartedly disagree with that management model (except for major sites only during peak holiday periods). Can't even stay at island bend anymore. This country is going down the toilet, not being able to freely access campgrounds smh
It’s a fk isn’t it. ‘Parrently QLD has gone this way for lots (all?) of places as well.

Shits me to tears.

The Snow sites needed something - I think banning caravans and buses and stuff perhaps a better idea to look after the sites?

Maybe require booking fee and a modest camping fee for school hols (and really only suggesting a fee so that people bother to cancel, as it is the low booking fee means people don’t cancel)?

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

Can’t walk off track in Grampians, booking only bushwalks in Grampians and alpine. Major limitations to recreational activities including climbing and fishing.

What even does ‘can’t walk off track’ mean? What a bizarre ide for a national park.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au

Can’t walk off track in Grampians, booking only bushwalks in Grampians and alpine. Major limitations to recreational activities including climbing and fishing.

Not really Vic alpine, plenty of huts usually empty, few seldom visited in winter, don't have to book.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Problem is, NSW main act area, there are plenty of places, even within KNP, lots of huts also.

Have to say though, the Vic stuff looks good.

Reactions: climberman

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Can’t walk off track in Grampians, introduction of “booking only bushwalks” in Grampians and alpine. Major limitations to recreational activities including climbing and fishing.

Agree with everyone’s frustration. The ‘Tidal River/Prom/Buffalo’ micromanagement model seems to be the template of choice these days.

The turn up and camp/walk model is increasingly only in the more remote car-camping and walk-in locations.

This is a tad ironic, as in my opinion the Vic Alps receive less love (especially walking track surfacing and repair) than the equivalent alpine region in NSW K_MR area.

If you’re going to micromanage the alps (in particular), then at least provide some decent track maintenance - and repair horse-riding and mtn-bike erosion damage on the shared trails.

As for Island Bend access, I think it sucks that a few dozen early planners can virtually book out the whole winter, with no turn-up and go spaces - AFAICR?

Whatever happened to the fair sharing of public assets?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using