Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I wanted to go to KNP this week but could only find one site available for Thursday and we all know what happened there. Trip was never going to happen. It is only a small booking fee and it is being abused probably because there is a note about a cancellation fee. Got a message today that my booking for yesterday was cancelled and the campground closed. I will also get a refund.

Most coastal parks in Vic are charging camping fees and Buffalo does in summer. Maybe coastal parks could have a winter rate. The Falls to Hotham walk will still be free if you don't use the glamping and the paid areas will be set off from the public areas. There are some camping platforms that can be booked on the existing walk but you don't have to use or book them as long as you camp further than 100m away. Easy done. Better spots too. Grampians peak trail is different again and not happy with that but the area gets loads of people so some control may have been necessary.

We stayed at Green Cape one winter and were the only people there. I was walking the money to the box to pay and the ranger told me not to bother. When travelling we will often not know where we will end up so it is hard to book and even harder when there is no reception.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Murky morning lapping DHG, snow was good, tad heavy but good. A few punters chopping up the first pitch from the carpark, toboganers galore at the carpark and no others touring
IMG_20220806_101836.jpg

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Nice to be out with @GregTheMoose for the first time since pre covid, getting in the fitness before the annual mac springs trip

Did feel a bit sketchy skiing, fresh snow wanting to wet slide and the risk of entire faces letting go. I got to 130cm deep with my pole and it was still rain affected. Definetly conditions for guide turns and not full send

Nicest snow was just below bottom of drift resort boundary markers

Steep enough terrain that some nice turns could be had, albeit requiring precise execution on the waybacks to ensure the tips drove through

20220806_121602.jpg 20220806_122322.jpg
20220806_125253.jpg
View recent photos.png
20220806_125543.jpg
20220806_143211.jpg
20220806_130330.jpg
20220806_131923.jpg
20220806_131700.jpg
20220806_135434.jpg
20220806_145010.jpg
20220806_145515.jpg

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
I left way too late and couldn’t even find a park at the ski tube, even blocked off the day parking area. So drove down to dead horse gap. Lots of snow play taking up parking. I’m guessing those were your tracks I saw then @Myazma? Snow would have been good early, and was still skiable up high but was hard work getting back to the car.

17F7E87B-9891-458B-BFBC-86A11E11B56B.jpeg

02663214-B02C-49A1-85AD-FF88B4F92EC9.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
I left way too late and couldn’t even find a park at the ski tube, even blocked off the day parking area. So drove down to dead horse gap. Lots of snow play taking up parking. I’m guessing those were your tracks I saw then @Myazma? Snow would have been good early, and was still skiable up high but was hard work getting back to the car.

17F7E87B-9891-458B-BFBC-86A11E11B56B.jpeg

02663214-B02C-49A1-85AD-FF88B4F92EC9.jpeg
Can just make out our tracks from the trig. Looks like a herd of cattle (or K7 snowshoeing group) came up from the north side later.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Can just make out our tracks from the trig. Looks like a herd of cattle (or K7 snowshoeing group) came up from the north side later.
Tbh, I thought there must have been horses around the area from the tracks I saw down lower. I skinned over and realised it was just snowshoes .

Reactions: Chaeron

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008

What the snow level like at DHG after recent events? How have travel times to Guthega been later in morning?

The whole traffic overload is shitting me & haven't even arrived yet. Coming down from Canberra tomorrow, hoping at least get my boys into the snow even if riding is out of the question.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Tbh, I thought there must have been horses around the area from the tracks I saw down lower. I skinned over and realised it was just snowshoes .
Bootpackers, they burn out couple hundred metres up.
What the snow level like at DHG after recent events? How have travel times to Guthega been later in morning?

The whole traffic overload is shitting me & haven't even arrived yet. Coming down from Canberra tomorrow, hoping at least get my boys into the snow even if riding is out of the question.
Snow to road at DHG. Week days no worries getting to Guthega.

Reactions: snowgum

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Nice pack! Ticks the ski boxes. Comp straps, good back length, nice wide waist harness (often skimpy on packs these days). Simple closure up top saves weight and time.

Can I please ask the weight, volume? Cheers.
While we are in question mode and to save a second response from @Untele-whippet, is the back support stiffened in any way. Like a closed cell foam. Something to stop hard objects in the pack digging into your back if you know what I mean. Hard to tell in the photos.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Yes, two layers of foam (removable), which are in a seperate pocket (can accommodate shovel).

Not sure on volume or weight, light enough for me, but maybe not a weenie. Large enough for me to do maybe three days light. Id guess 40 odd, and a kilo or less.

Mine is version 1 or 2 though, I have version envy now.

Reactions: SMSkier
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Nice pack! Ticks the ski boxes. Comp straps, good back length, nice wide waist harness (often skimpy on packs these days). Simple closure up top saves weight and time.

Can I please ask the weight, volume? Cheers.
While we are in question mode and to save a second response from @Untele-whippet, is the back support stiffened in any way. Like a closed cell foam. Something to stop hard objects in the pack digging into your back if you know what I mean. Hard to tell in the photos.
Some answers.
I’ve beefed up the body with the black VX21 Cire with a double layer all around the base. It has a 2000 abrasion cycle rating.
The red VX21 has 500 abrasion cycle rating.
By comparison the heavy 1000 denier cordura is rated to 710.
There is a 38 mm webbing that covers the vertical water resistant gear access zipper on the side panel to avoid vertical carry ski edge abrasion.
I’ve also added a second access zipper on the front panel.
There are now adjustable ice axe / disgonal ski carry loops at the base of each daisy chain.
The daisy chains can accomodate a snowboard in vertical carry mode.
There are 2 closed cell foam mats for suspension, one soft for comfort against your back and one more dense to prevent gear digging into you.
I’ve made a pouch out of VX07 that the 2 foam mats can be put into, that can quickly be pulled out and used as an insulated seat on snow.
There are 2 internal sleeves against your back. 1 for the foam suspension mats and the other for Avi Gear, these are closed by a zippered wallet, car key, snack pocket.
I’m yet to fill it up with water to measure the volume but I reckon 40 to 55 litres with the roll extension.
The waist belt is easily removable for skiing or climbing with a harness.
As I’ve beefed it up a bit it now weighs 1330g
I’m also playing around with different buckles and webbing atm.
More testing and feedback from the nice beta peeps before we’re up and running.
Just re-registered the domain name but no website yet.
D0C8AF79-9019-41BD-9AC3-0CD31937268D.jpeg
3686C2D7-2EAB-463E-ABA6-6360D6FF3394.jpeg

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Ducked up from DHG later this arvo to warm up the legs.

Once got through the postholes & snowshoe mire, was lovely up top, no wind, snow in good condition, some light grauple falling.

Always get suckered into dropping some of the untracked bowls & steps into bloody Bogong? Creek. Laid some decent turns on nice snow, but with the subsequent teeter across rocks & sweaty short thrash to get up the other side. Some very nice Hillebergs pitched not far up on the plateau from the Cascades carpark toboggan run.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Twin Valleys.. cornice. Not surprised.

Heading out tomorrow but mostly just into the meadows. Would like to see what that layer of recent grauple (post the wet stuff that fell) is doing. Sitting between ice and fresh snow.

This is one of the things that happens when we're all tucked in safely.

Note that phrasing, tucked in safely. Bunch of pant wetters.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Paralyser then down to The Snowy. Snow was good today. Coverage is fine given past mixed weather events.

D3898F49-168D-42F0-9F6D-B0D7B0871FBC.jpeg

1A779591-A970-4B18-AA5E-C8F63C567E89.jpeg

163C4E73-75BE-4408-B5E5-9024418FAB56.jpeg

1DB1B3B9-C149-4B7E-B5CA-26A3186F90C7.jpeg

3E186860-F63D-4779-9F6C-EB45BF950595.jpeg

Low elevations where the snowy runs into Guthega Pondage shows the weather damage.

D67D5B3D-CBEE-44AC-8F0B-019871CFCCD2.jpeg

D379ECBA-011C-4165-9F47-C2E407E33C13.jpeg

But even low elevations amongst the trees was ok.

3048393E-1852-42AA-9573-ABE3CD6B56C6.jpeg
Interesting pics of the river. I presume that marks the level of flooding. That debris would have risen up and fragmented with the rising water, and then fallen back as it went down. Would have been impressive to see it happening.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Pls excuse the ignorant Vic Q here: does anyone know the practicality of skiing from Mt. P. over the Paralyser range, and down to the road near Spencer Creek? ((A possible PM jaunt after an early finish on lifts to get back to CP?)

Fwiw: The range it looks fairly tree-free (common issue in Vic), but it has a lot of small ups and downs say from east to west. It’s probably best traversed via the south(ish) face from Mt P, ie. not climbing any unnecessary knolls - since we’d trying maximise westward speed down to the road. (Daylight in early Sept. would help).

Cheers ‘locals’ for any thoughts. Or is the road from the pass SW of MtP. Much quicker / less faffing? ;)

Reactions: seak and SMSkier

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Pls excuse the ignorant Vic Q here: does anyone know the practicality of skiing from Mt. P. over the Paralyser range, and down to the road near Spencer Creek? ((A possible PM jaunt after an early finish on lifts to get back to CP?)

Fwiw: The range it looks fairly tree-free (common issue in Vic), but it has a lot of small ups and downs say from east to west. It’s probably best traversed via the south(ish) face from Mt P, ie. not climbing any unnecessary knolls - since we’d trying maximise westward speed down to the road. (Daylight in early Sept. would help).

Cheers ‘locals’ for any thoughts. Or is the road from the pass SW of MtP. Much quicker / less faffing? ;)

Yes.

Can be an issue crossing Spencers Creek, if in doubt head towards Perisher gap to cross or if end up round the Gutheries side head to Snowy & cross on nu bridge there.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016

I know it well. There’s a neat bit of tree skiing going down from Paralyser Trig (Kosi Rd end) to the creek. Hardly anyone does it. Generally you can find a snow bridge otherwise it’s as exactly @skifree pointed out.

Assuming you cross the creek then options to get up to Guthries (trig end) include via the lower elevation towards where the snowy hydro folks take the readings and up to the trig. Or a steeper line more direct to the trig.

From the trig there’s obvious options. If adequate cover you can just drop down to the road. Or if wanting to get a more easy route to the village; take the traverse ridge line to Mt Guthrie. Drop in down a steepish little chute (needs decent cover) and your on the Guthries Poma area.

Have done it Mt P to Stillwell and back. Good fun. Have fun….

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

I know it well. There’s a neat bit of tree skiing going down from Paralyser Trig (Kosi Rd end) to the creek. Hardly anyone does it. Generally you can find a snow bridge otherwise it’s as exactly @skifree pointed out.

Assuming you cross the creek then options to get up to Guthries (trig end) include via the lower elevation towards where the snowy hydro folks take the readings and up to the trig. Or a steeper line more direct to the trig.

From the trig there’s obvious options. If adequate cover you can just drop down to the road. Or if wanting to get a more easy route to the village; take the traverse ridge line to Mt Guthrie. Drop in down a steepish little chute (needs decent cover) and your on the Guthries Poma area.

It sounds like a great adventure. How many hours would you estimate this trip (one way) would take please. My friends suggest we jump of the Mt P lifts mid arvo, before heading to CP.

It sounds like an early P lunch and allowing a few hours (with a safety provision) might be wise? Especially as none of us have navigated the Paralyser before. (We’ve skied the main range a few times). Ta.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
It sounds like a great adventure. How many hours would you estimate this trip (one way) would take please. My friends suggest we jump of the Mt P lifts mid arvo, before heading to CP.

It sounds like an early P lunch and allowing a few hours (with a safety provision) might be wise? Especially as none of us have navigated the Paralyser before. (We’ve skied the main range a few times). Ta.
Couple of hours should do it…snow stiffens up though in the afternoon.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Thanks a lot - will check my maps before serious contemplation.

PiedPiper

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
Is foremans crossing usually covered with snow in peak winter?
Is it a bit unusual to have water flowing in Mid August, or is it always like that every year?

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Is foremans crossing usually covered with snow in peak winter?
Is it a bit unusual to have water flowing in Mid August, or is it always like that every year?
The xing itself isn't usually covered but upstream is. The rain last week washed out all the upstream snow bridges.
High altitude looks super loaded
Loaded, smooth cream hoar frost and no wind damage, excellent conditions.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi

Spencer's is open the only xing at the southern end of the Paralysler ridge is a jumble of icebergs brought down in high water last week that got choked up just below where the road bears away from the creek towards CP.

Reactions: skifree and SMSkier
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using