The big Hakuba thread 2017/2018 - trip planning, trip reports, general musings about fried chicken

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Just had the brochures for Sanosaka dropped off. Sadly not on the Hakuba Valley Season pass this year but they have my attention now ;)
25394387_10155726788276480_142897367_n.jpg
Want!

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
They need to buy Aokiko.... then everything will be right in the world.
Is Sun Alpina still going ?

Well, Sun Alpina was always the combo of the three: Kashimayari, Aokiko and Sanosaka.
They were linked together by Aokiko in the middle, with a common ticket of about 4500-5000yen. But on Men's day (Wed) or Women's Day (Fri), they used to do a special deal of 2100yen, and so I would almost always go there, while at Hakuba.
But Aokiko closed about 5-6 years ago, and without the link resort in the middle, that combo fell apart.

map_sanarupina3.jpg

With Sanosaka being bought, I thought that it could have been a good idea to buy Aokiko as well, and link the three again.
Any one of the three is not worth the price of the normal day ticket, but the three together was worth it.

spunk72

Hard Yards
Jun 30, 2005
This is true...........had a vision of a family getting off the Shink at Nagano. Dad telling mum to hold the fort at the station with all the luggage, whilst dad takes the kids to the shop. Dad buys heaps of stuff and then realises mum has all the passports back at the station. :D
P.S. Has tax free gone up from 8% to 10% now.............was scheduled to do so in April?
How do you know our family so well?

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Cortina and Norikura opened today. Left the crowd to Cortina and headed to Nakiyama but after one lift bailed and headed over to Iwatake. Today was 1st day the back was open. Heavy snow in the trees with some sketchy exits but some fun turns with just me and the local critters. Stopped and thanked patrol for getting it open on the way out. Last night`s snow didn`t arrive but its looking good for tomorrow although with some great opening parties tonight might be a bit slow in the morning ;)

25395765_10155732178826480_6802782002818568826_n.jpg
25395961_10155732696331480_4462878476230194334_n.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Some big numbers appearing on the short term forecast! Freezing level looks to be a bit high for the Sunday night so r**n likely, before decent snow until the 28th.

Reactions: 2ESki

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Some big numbers appearing on the short term forecast! Freezing level looks to be a bit high for the Sunday night so r**n likely, before decent snow until the 28th.
Yeah rains coming...then snow...then some rain again
Happo will get a decent dose from these type of systems

Reactions: Froff Life

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
They need to buy Aokiko.... then everything will be right in the world.

Sanosaka is also on the verge of closing. Actually, after the two slow seasons = 2015 - 2016 & 2016 - 2017, the owner once decided to close Sanosaka. The owner gave up operating Sanosaka and Cross Project is operating Sanosaka this season. Cross Project is a dying Japanese ski resorts saving company. They operate Geto Kogen too. If Sanosaka can't get enough guests this season even under Cross Project, Sanosaka is very likely to be closed just like Aokiko. Cross Project once tried to buy Aokiko ski resort too, but they didn't because I think they gave up making a profit by operating Aokiko.

I see very rapidly increasing number of group tours from Taiwan in Fukushima and Yamagata ski resorts recently. I hope a Taiwanese company buys all Aokiko, Sanosaka and Kashimayari and reopen as one united ski resort just like a Korean company Lotte reopened Arai.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Sanosaka is also on the verge of closing. Actually, after the two slow seasons = 2015 - 2016 & 2016 - 2017, the owner once decided to close Sanosaka. The owner gave up operating Sanosaka and Cross Project is operating Sanosaka this season. Cross Project is a dying Japanese ski resorts saving company. They operate Geto Kogen too. If Sanosaka can't get enough guests this season even under Cross Project, Sanosaka is very likely to be closed just like Aokiko. Cross Project once tried to buy Aokiko ski resort too, but they didn't because I think they gave up making a profit by operating Aokiko.

I see very rapidly increasing number of group tours from Taiwan in Fukushima and Yamagata ski resorts recently. I hope a Taiwanese company buys all Aokiko, Sanosaka and Kashimayari and reopen as one united ski resort just like a Korean company Lotte reopened Arai.
They really need to get the middle resort Aokiko open again so you can ski all 3 in a day. Hopefully the visitors return this season to enable them to do it

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

That doesn't shock me .
I think there was a Aokiko real estate development plan that fell through.

That would be four closed Hakuba resorts

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Well, Sun Alpina was always the combo of the three: Kashimayari, Aokiko and Sanosaka.
They were linked together by Aokiko in the middle, with a common ticket of about 4500-5000yen. But on Men's day (Wed) or Women's Day (Fri), they used to do a special deal of 2100yen, and so I would almost always go there, while at Hakuba.
But Aokiko closed about 5-6 years ago, and without the link resort in the middle, that combo fell apart.

map_sanarupina3.jpg

With Sanosaka being bought, I thought that it could have been a good idea to buy Aokiko as well, and link the three again.
Any one of the three is not worth the price of the normal day ticket, but the three together was worth it.

They really need to get the middle resort Aokiko open again so you can ski all 3 in a day. Hopefully the visitors return this season to enable them to do it

This is the only way. I have visited Kashimayari only ONCE since Aokiko closed, and that was just a morning on the way out of the valley. If all three were open, I WOULD go there again.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
This is the only way. I have visited Kashimayari only ONCE since Aokiko closed, and that was just a morning on the way out of the valley. If all three were open, I WOULD go there again.
Me too, but honestly just by looking at the trail map it doesn't look like it would be worth a visit to either Kashimayari or Sanosaka unless it's a massive powder day and everyone is going to Cortina

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I think Japanese people can't save dying Japanese ski resorts like Sanosaka and Aokiko. A Thai company owns Kiroro and you see many Asian tourists in Kiroro, a Chinese company bought Tomamu and you see many Chinese speaking people in Tomamu, a Korean company Lotte bought Arai and I think Lotte is aiming at rich Asian tourists rather than Japanese. Japanese ski resorts will never be able to get Japanese people as much as they did around 1990, and Japanese companies don't know how to attract tourists from abroad. So they need to be bought by foreign companies to survive just like Arai, Tomamu, etc.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Me too, but honestly just by looking at the trail map it doesn't look like it would be worth a visit to either Kashimayari or Sanosaka unless it's a massive powder day and everyone is going to Cortina
It's not....
But usually, when it's a massive powder day at Cortina, there's less and less powder the further south you go.
The three were best on a sunny day, with spectacular views of the lake.

Reactions: Ramenman

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
It's not....
But usually, when it's a massive powder day at Cortina, there's less and less powder the further south you go.
The three were best on a sunny day, with spectacular views of the lake.
This...
Though sometimes there is a foot at Kash (and echoland) and the hordes rush to Cortina ...for 5cm .
*this will happen a bit over the next two weeks IMO

Reactions: citizenkane

2ESki

One of Us
Apr 16, 2017
No it needs to keep snowing!!!!
Much of my favourite skiing is done when it's snowing hard and the softies have gone on fir the day!!!! ;)
Numbers look alright to me, but maybe were used to Aus :whistle: ,no it can snow during the night, I like to see what I'm about to hit :rolleyes:

Morino

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Oct 30, 2011
Hakuba
www.morinolodge.com
Here's a video from yesterday

And some pics attached (not sure how to embed them yet..)

Already got 10 days under my belt in the Hakuba alpine BC. No bushes to push down so comes into season very early.

Attachments

• 11D52FC6-733C-4663-9C27-8EBDA56695F3.jpeg
    11D52FC6-733C-4663-9C27-8EBDA56695F3.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 15
  • E8326F14-A0C9-47B7-9CA8-D0D0F94D3781.jpeg
    E8326F14-A0C9-47B7-9CA8-D0D0F94D3781.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 6DDA940E-4343-4869-A1C9-CD7E006AB90C.jpeg
    6DDA940E-4343-4869-A1C9-CD7E006AB90C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Had to check some guests out of our new apartments this morning and do some other business related chores so didnt get out this morning.

Got a mate who lives at TSG and he is reporting 1.5m of snow so far from this storm with more to come. Snow blower been through 3 belts and all kids been on the shovel. EPIC day coming tomorrow!

Friends went to Cortina and were reporting 1.25m in some places. Road conditions were bad with several accidents and near misses. Over an hour getting back to Hakuba.

Too many options in the morning. Got a plan though :)

Reactions: Froff Life

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
*cough* Norikura *cough*

Please dont utter the "N" word......

Friends went there yesterday and they still havent opened the best lift there.

Iwatake today was excellent although I guess we were expecting too much for the best terrain there to be open. OIJ. :(

There has been a serious amount of snow with stories of lucky people, broken limbs and an avalanche in a well used area off resort (TBC). People need to be very careful. We were booting into an area today that was well over waist deep pow. Saw many people in places they should not have been near. Stupidity was clearly on display with one father having gone past a fence into a deep sketchy place with a young kid that was clearly struggling. The only upside was patrol was waiting for them at the bottom.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass