The big Hakuba thread 2017/2018 - trip planning, trip reports, general musings about fried chicken

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
And as the storm clears, the Japanese alps looking fine AF.

fBGxzlo.jpg

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Please dont utter the "N" word......

Friends went there yesterday and they still havent opened the best lift there.
It's debatable which is the "best" lift, but the one I think you mean is generally only open in the morning, so if they got there later than that, it would have been closed.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Sad news from yesterday. A woman is missing at Cortina from the big day out there. :(

Nozawa is reporting a death.

Some days you need to be EXTRA careful.

It's a danger time when the snow is deep, and people are unfamiliar with getting stuck on even moderate slopes because of it.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Sad news from yesterday. A woman is missing at Cortina from the big day out there. :(

Nozawa is reporting a death.

Some days you need to be EXTRA careful.
Bloody hell. Condolences of course but it just highlights the very obvious dangers at the moments.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Sad but great that closure has come so quick for her family. Kudos to those that searched and found her. Many here in the valley were worried this would drag on for a long time which would be terrible for her family.
Was she a local? Any known experience? R.I.P

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Was she a local? Any known experience? R.I.P

She isn't a local but a woman working in Tokyo. I assume she is more or less experienced for 3 reasons.

Reason 1:
She is 41 year old skier working in Tokyo. 41 year old female beginner skier going to Hakuba alone is a bit unlikely.

Reason 2:
Her body was found out of bounds, where there was 270cm of snow. For beginner skiers, deep fresh powder out of bounds is nothing interesting without proper gears, so I don't think she is a beginner.

Reason 3:
She is 41 years old. I mean, about 25 - 30 years ago, when she was a teenager, there was a crazy ski boom in Japan and most people took their children to ski resorts. I think she's been a long term ski fan who has been skiing for more than 25 years since then.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
She isn't a local but a woman working in Tokyo. I assume she is more or less experienced for 3 reasons.

Reason 1:
She is 41 year old skier working in Tokyo. 41 year old female beginner skier going to Hakuba alone is a bit unlikely.

Reason 2:
Her body was found out of bounds, where there was 270cm of snow. For beginner skiers, deep fresh powder out of bounds is nothing interesting without proper gears, so I don't think she is a beginner.

Reason 3:
She is 41 years old. I mean, about 25 - 30 years ago, when she was a teenager, there was a crazy ski boom in Japan and most people took their children to ski resorts. I think she's been a long term ski fan who has been skiing for more than 25 years since then.
Realistically, if you have snow that's 30cm deep, you can ski through it in even a gentle pitch... even in gullies where you can get stuck, you can work your way out of 30cm. When it's 50-60cm deep, the ability to get stuck on even moderate slopes goes up dramatically. If there's be more than 100cm, you can get stuck in just about any place that's not reasonably steep. If you get stuck in a gully where it's even deeper, that's it, you WILL be stuck and require rescuing. I saw many people stuck 2m off the sides of courses at Myoko in the last few days, flailing around like a beach whale.

If she was not used to very deep snow (likely), with unrockered skis (likely.. I took an older pair with me the last few days, and while rockered they are not as rockered as my powder skis, and they do submarine when it's that deep... sliding them forwards and backwards when stuck doesn't get the tips up out of the snow, while a big rocker does), and narrower skis (likely... most Japanese skiers have narrower skies than Aussies, particularly women)

All this adds up to a simple case of getting stuck, and not getting out.

Reactions: Ramenman

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014

Reason 1:

Reason 2:

Reason 3:

Ah, it seems she was snowboarding, not skiing. Anyway, very deep powder snow can be dangerous for anyone who is well experienced. I mean, very deep powder snow as Japow standard.

SLP

First Runs
Aug 6, 2017
Can someone answer a lift pass question for me please? Bought some 2 days passes for Iimori today and one didn’t get used at all. While I can see they need to be used on consecutive days, did today count or only 2 days from when it is first used/activated. Cheers, thanks a lot.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Can someone answer a lift pass question for me please? Bought some 2 days passes for Iimori today and one didn’t get used at all. While I can see they need to be used on consecutive days, did today count or only 2 days from when it is first used/activated. Cheers, thanks a lot.
Did you get them from the ticket window or at your hotel? Prepaid tickets from your hotel can generally be used any time, but a 2day pass from the ticket window will usually have the last day on.it

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SLP

First Runs
Aug 6, 2017
Bugger. The ticket window. Can’t really see a date like I would understand but it does have 01-0814-03-136... and some more I can’t make out. I guess the 1 is for the first?

Or there is a 2 and then some Japanese. Maybe that means finishes on the 2nd.

Morino

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Oct 30, 2011
Hakuba
www.morinolodge.com
Lovely day today. 15cm yesterday during the day and another 30cm last night in the north end of the valley.

Did a quick backcountry lap before work - The sun came out half way up on the hike and the trees were sparkling.
The way down was perfect too. Wasn't expecting this stealthy reset. Unfortunately I forgot my phone so couldn't take any shots...

Big dump about to start!

lardarse

Early Days
Jun 7, 2017
Will be buying a new board in Tokyo once I arrive, travel to Hukuba for a week with it then I need to get the boar from Brownie Cottages down to Osaka Airport for my departure 1 week later (whilst I travel around). I've looked at the Black Cat website, and its awfully hard to understand.

Mainly because I can't read Japanese, and the translate isn't crash hot.

I'm under the impression, once I arrive at Brownie cottages i tell them that I want to send my board when i finish up to XYZ hotel and they will do it? Then I simply check in to my last hotel and my board (like magic) will be there?

I cant find on the Black Cat website where/if they even go from Hukuba, I assume they do. Where do I find the fee though?

Thanks all!

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Will be buying a new board in Tokyo once I arrive, travel to Hukuba for a week with it then I need to get the boar from Brownie Cottages down to Osaka Airport for my departure 1 week later (whilst I travel around). I've looked at the Black Cat website, and its awfully hard to understand.

Mainly because I can't read Japanese, and the translate isn't crash hot.

I'm under the impression, once I arrive at Brownie cottages i tell them that I want to send my board when i finish up to XYZ hotel and they will do it? Then I simply check in to my last hotel and my board (like magic) will be there?

I cant find on the Black Cat website where/if they even go from Hukuba, I assume they do. Where do I find the fee though?

Thanks all!
From Hakuba, there is a black cat depot just outside the centre of town. Send it straight to the airport.

lardarse

Early Days
Jun 7, 2017
Sweet, do you just turn up when I leave Hukuba and be like Kansi airport, pay the fee, and a week later turn up at the airport depot and collect?

Australia should have this system, sounds awesome!

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Sweet, do you just turn up when I leave Hukuba and be like Kansi airport, pay the fee, and a week later turn up at the airport depot and collect?

Australia should have this system, sounds awesome!

Most hotels will send directly, no need to go to the Yamato Transport (Black Cat) depot.

Reactions: lardarse

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Its simple. Leave bag with accomm provider with all flight details. Go to airport, go to Black Cat counter, have copy of con note (Brownie Cottages should be able to send you a pic), pay fee, pick up bag, go to check in.
Sounds easy. How much time do we need to allow to send luggage from Hakuba to a hotel at Narita?

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Its simple. Leave bag with accomm provider with all flight details. Go to airport, go to Black Cat counter, have copy of con note (Brownie Cottages should be able to send you a pic), pay fee, pick up bag, go to check in.
So you can pay on collection? I have always paid accom. That would be easier, unless the accom gets service fee for their trouble

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
None?
They all pretty much suck IMO... all beginner slopes
The only night skiing I've really enjoyed was Niseko because you can lap the gondola and stay out of the cold. My partner has never done it before and is desperate to give it a go.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
The only night skiing I've really enjoyed was Niseko because you can lap the gondola and stay out of the cold. My partner has never done it before and is desperate to give it a go.
Oh Niseko has amazing nightas
Most of my friends would hit Goryu...but its very flat

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Soooooooo the forecast rain today didnt happen and its been snowing at my cafe/bar all day here in the downtown area, at times rather heavily, others not. Tomorrow is shaping up to be a GOOOOOOOD day :)
I wouldn't count your chickens quite yet.
The atmosphere will warm considerably over the next 12 hrs

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Soooooooo the forecast rain today didnt happen and its been snowing at my cafe/bar all day here in the downtown area, at times rather heavily, others not. Tomorrow is shaping up to be a GOOOOOOOD day :)
Great to hear! But the temps don't look like they will get any lower tonight. Snow should set back in sometime tomorrow morning and then truly happy days! 5 days until we arrive :woohoo::woohoo:. I'll have a google about Tsugike's nighta

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Oh Niseko has amazing nightas
Most of my friends would hit Goryu...but its very flat
If I was going to do it I’d do Goryu. I imagine off to the sides up high there may be some good snow when it’s snowing. But the upside just isn’t worth the downside for me.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass