The big Hakuba thread 2017/2018 - trip planning, trip reports, general musings about fried chicken

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth

Loving your advice, we were at iwatake yesterday. Very good ☺️

Tomorrow I'm not so sure what to do though. Maybe back to iwatake again, or even Cortina. We could hear some avi bombing happening in the morning today.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Loving your advice, we were at iwatake yesterday. Very good ☺️

Tomorrow I'm not so sure what to do though. Maybe back to iwatake again, or even Cortina. We could hear some avi bombing happening in the morning today.
Doesn't look like it will be as windy tomorrow, and looks to snow harder tonight. Cortina would be awesome

Reactions: blowfin

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
This is what I understand happened this morning.

Top lifts at Corts didnt open. Top of Gondy at TSG didnt open. The best lift at the resort we dont mention ;) didnt open. Its blowing its box off right now so I expect Happo gondy to be closed amongst others (TBC). Iwatake was crowded.

With heavy snow in the forecast for days its going to be stella once the wind settles down.

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
This is what I understand happened this morning.

Top lifts at Corts didnt open. Top of Gondy at TSG didnt open. The best lift at the resort we dont mention ;) didnt open. Its blowing its box off right now so I expect Happo gondy to be closed amongst others (TBC). Iwatake was crowded.

With heavy snow in the forecast for days its going to be stella once the wind settles down.
Ahh!! I was trying to figure out why Iwatake resembled weekend Happo. Was not fun!!

Funky

One of Us
Apr 15, 2002
Well I'm glad I took Sandy's advice...

We went to Norikura... but were severely time limited as our kids put their foot down and wanted to ski with us for the afternoon. So we had 1.5hrs there. I was making my way to the top lift and ventured near Cortina. It changed from being mild winds to "are we on the same mountain"?

Unfortunately that was pretty much the last run and it was time to head back to ski with the kids.

The runs off Cosmo 4 at Goryu were good even with a lot of other people down it. Knee deep mainly and a few thigh deep stashes. No time to do the tree runs.

It seemed to be snowing more at the Southern end of the valley than the Northern end.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Well I'm glad I took Sandy's advice...

We went to Norikura... but were severely time limited as our kids put their foot down and wanted to ski with us for the afternoon. So we had 1.5hrs there. I was making my way to the top lift and ventured near Cortina. It changed from being mild winds to "are we on the same mountain"?

Unfortunately that was pretty much the last run and it was time to head back to ski with the kids.

The runs off Cosmo 4 at Goryu were good even with a lot of other people down it. Knee deep mainly and a few thigh deep stashes. No time to do the tree runs.

It seemed to be snowing more at the Southern end of the valley than the Northern end.
As per the radar....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Ahh!! I was trying to figure out why Iwatake resembled weekend Happo. Was not fun!!

Yeah, iwatake sucked today... I totally wasn't skiing totally untracked pow in the trees til we left at 3:30pm.
180124 Iwatake (1 of 1)-3.jpg

180124 Iwatake (1 of 1)-2.jpg

180124 Iwatake (1 of 1).jpg

I think you should have looked around a bit harder.

Funky

One of Us
Apr 15, 2002
Yeah, iwatake sucked today... I totally wasn't skiing totally untracked pow in the trees til we left at 3:30pm.

I was going to say... when I went past the car park was empty compared with a weekend... I could've parked 2 rows back (at 11am).

Funky

One of Us
Apr 15, 2002

Those photos also highlight why today I needed different skiing partners... and perhaps some wider skis...

great shots who ever took them... very challenging light today.

Reactions: LMB

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth

Finding stashes and dealing with crowds are two different things I reckon. Nice shots though

Good session at 47 today with our bibs on. The line for lift C was a bit hectic later in the morning. Definitely more lines to be found. It's day 5 though and we're a bit cooked. Beer and pizza at Luis is a winner.

Reactions: LMB

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
It's been a ridiculous week, I'm on the bus back to Nagano trying to process the last 5 days and just how good it's been. Onto part 2 of my trip today. Really impressed with the terrain and variety around Hakuba, and I didn't even visit Happo or Cortina, or feel any need to get out of the resorts. There was a point yesterday when I saw people skinning up at Tsugaike that made me wish I'd had my gear on me, but I'll save that one for next time:)

Reactions: Funky

Funky

One of Us
Apr 15, 2002
It's been a ridiculous week, I'm on the bus back to Nagano trying to process the last 5 days and just how good it's been. Onto part 2 of my trip today. Really impressed with the terrain and variety around Hakuba, and I didn't even visit Happo or Cortina, or feel any need to get out of the resorts. There was a point yesterday when I saw people skinning up at Tsugaike that made me wish I'd had my gear on me, but I'll save that one for next time:)

After having skied Furano and Myoko Kogen prior to Hakuba, I was impressed with the terrain too. Much more vertical than I thought and more variety too. Probably didn't get as much skiing as I would've liked, but that is the price of kids in school, poorish conditions at the start, and then when it dumped not wanting to push things. The posts about glide cracks (didn't know that is what they were called, but could see them forming from 47 on the South Side of Happo) was proof enough to take it easy. Still had some great runs.

Quandary what to do next when I next go back to Japan. Still want my next o/s trip to be US...

slotele

Addicted
Jun 3, 2016
Flying up tomorrow morning, meeting No 1. daughter in Tokyo then spending a week at Tsugaike Kogan with her. We are booked on the Azusa through to Minami-Otari.

What is the recommendation for shuttle bus to Tsugaike? Should we get of the train at Hakuba or Minami-Otari?

slotele

Addicted
Jun 3, 2016
Ah, good idea. Why didn't I think of that. Thanks. Heading to the airport in 6 1/2 hours.... big smile on my face

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Hey guys got a mate who is staying at Balls Deep in Goryu and he's done his calf. Is the physio in Happo still the best place to go? Any suggestions would be helpful, I dont know the extent of his injury he just said he's done his calf and needs some treatment, it's at the cool-down seizing up phase tonight.

spunk72

Hard Yards
Jun 30, 2005
Coming tomorrow! Some big snow in the forecast... very excited.. any reports from those on the ground?

Reactions: lardarse

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
Hey guys got a mate who is staying at Balls Deep in Goryu and he's done his calf. Is the physio in Happo still the best place to go? Any suggestions would be helpful, I dont know the extent of his injury he just said he's done his calf and needs some treatment, it's at the cool-down seizing up phase tonight.

Yup, physio is still the best place.

Reactions: Vermillion

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
8FA36182-D5DE-47F9-8D7F-683CA9AEB1A2.jpeg
F1186787-FC59-4645-A31F-A90B459A2BB8.jpeg
Spent the last few days around hakuba. It feels overrun with aussies. The two resorts we visited were tracked out way too quickly (Happo one easy acces Jeez!) . It was fun still due to the diverse options available. Xc skied harp a couple days very good tracks. Toured up abondoned resort near lake. Great snow off piste. I reckon not touring in the hakuba area would get pretty frustrating.
EB54AEA7-2605-4408-95E0-59B7F28A2A76.jpeg
Cover is excellent btw needs top up though. Hotel we stayed at did buffet dinner with all you can drink free beer/ wine/ sake etc for $13!

Reactions: Funky

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Interesting morning at TSG today. LOTS of new snow and some epic tree laps in the DBD area. Then our lift stopped whilst we were on it and we had to be rescued which was a 1st for me. Patrol were pretty quick to get us down using a rope and a sling. Kudos to them!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Hey, bluestick, touring with tele and some xc looks very good. I took a taxi to harp in 2011 and hoped to tour at a resort at the other end of the valley which was closed when I returned next. What is the name of the closed resort?

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Hey, bluestick, touring with tele and some xc looks very good. I took a taxi to harp in 2011 and hoped to tour at a resort at the other end of the valley which was closed when I returned next. What is the name of the closed resort?
Yanabasskijo train station, there were a few Japanese (3) touring when we went pleasant extra bit up to Mt Gongen thanks for asking.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
We rode Iwatake yesterday and it was easily the busiest I have I have ever seen it. They were turning cars away at 10am I was told. We split at 930 having had the best of it. Good times.

Hopefully see you tonight lardarse :)
There was good reason.... Strong winds. Top half of Happo shut, Goryu/47 gondolas on wind hold.
Pretty much dumped those people onto Iwatake, Tsugaike & Cortina. The "loop" at Cortina was 1.5 hours (gate at the top, down and through the north end of Norikura, back to Cortina)

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
There was good reason.... Strong winds. Top half of Happo shut, Goryu/47 gondolas on wind hold.
Pretty much dumped those people onto Iwatake, Tsugaike & Cortina. The "loop" at Cortina was 1.5 hours (gate at the top, down and through the north end of Norikura, back to Cortina)
Mates went to Kash. Had a epic day.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Mates went to Kash. Had a epic day.
Luckily, I didn't go to Happo, Goryu/47, Iwatake, Tsugaike or Cortina..... but did this instead:

P1150961.JPG

P1150950.JPG

roller8080

First Runs
Feb 22, 2018
I will be in Happo-one From Mar 14 to Mid-April for a month
looking for ski instructors to teach me and improve my skiing skills
also welcome any snow lovers to ski or snowboard together
send a message to my inbox for more detail!!!

Carebearbarry

First Runs
Feb 21, 2019
I will be in Happo-one From Mar 14 to Mid-April for a month
looking for ski instructors to teach me and improve my skiing skills
also welcome any snow lovers to ski or snowboard together
send a message to my inbox for more detail!!!
Anyone know how's the snow conditions in Happo-One during the mid march period? I'm a solo traveler going there, skied plenty in past experiences, wondering are there any good off piste routes to go during this time?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass