The big Hakuba thread 2017/2018 - trip planning, trip reports, general musings about fried chicken

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Usually try and get up around 4. I love the mornings here. The calm before the everyday storm. Get my emails and admin done early so I can get first lifts :) Back in the hotel by about 10:30 sipping on a latte with a big smile on my face. I like that routine. Won't happen everyday but that's the majority of my season. I try and throw in a 10 min power nap during the afternoon if required.

buckcompton

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2013
What are peoples thoughts on Hotel Hakuba as we are looking at booking 2x twin rooms for our trip during 1.03.18 - 07.03.18.

It looks like a good 15min stroll to Ecoland for dinner, is there a free shuttle close by?

As a reference the last 2 times we have skied Hakuba we had stayed at the Heidi Hof.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
What are peoples thoughts on Hotel Hakuba as we are looking at booking 2x twin rooms for our trip during 1.03.18 - 07.03.18.

It looks like a good 15min stroll to Ecoland for dinner, is there a free shuttle close by?

As a reference the last 2 times we have skied Hakuba we had stayed at the Heidi Hof.
I'd give myself 25mins from there to Echoland . Easy.
Though there are closer options for dinner (eg Zen is ten/12 mins walk). Also on the main drag and olympic rd

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Hoshino resort operates some ski resorts in Japan such as Hoshino Resort Tomamu and Hoshino Resort Alts Bandai, and they are re-opening KAI Alps in Hakuba region this December.
http://kai-ryokan.jp/en/alps/?_ga=2.224253714.887535656.1507610639-1986607399.1507610639
Hoshino-Resorts-KAI-Alps-Entrance.jpg

https://www.hoshinoresorts.com/en/information/release/2017/09/15992.html

https://www.hoshinoresorts.com/en/

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Looking for some clarification on the Hakuba lift passes. I've read that is is better to just get your lift pass on the day at whatever resort you visit, as there is no financial discount in buying the "Hakuba Valley" lift pass. And you have to line up to get a day pass even if you have already bought the Valley pass.

But on the Hakuba Valley website it says you have to show your pre-purchased pass to have access to the shuttle bus? Does this mean unless you have already bought the Valley pass you cant use the bus?

Also I read that the Hakuba Valley Pass now uses IC chips, does this mean no lining up if you have already bought the pass?

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
IIRC:
- Valley pass per day is more expensive, based on 7 days, and assuming you use discount coupons for the different mountains otherwise. e.g. 7 day 37,200yen = 5314yen. Happo day ticket = 5200yen. Iwatake day = 4400yen, with coupon = 4900yen with 1000yen voucher fro lunch!!!

- Not sure about lining up for the day pass, but I've assumed that the IC chip passes don't require that. Most of the mountains previously used IC chips, and once they added IC passes to Cortina/Norikura, they coudl implement the valley pass.
- Never seen where you ever needed to show a pass to get on a bus, but the last time I used a shuttle was 3 seasons back. (however, it doesn't make sense, otherwise people who are getting day passes at each mountain won't have a pass yet.

Reactions: Froff Life

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Looking for some clarification on the Hakuba lift passes. I've read that is is better to just get your lift pass on the day at whatever resort you visit, as there is no financial discount in buying the "Hakuba Valley" lift pass. And you have to line up to get a day pass even if you have already bought the Valley pass.

But on the Hakuba Valley website it says you have to show your pre-purchased pass to have access to the shuttle bus? Does this mean unless you have already bought the Valley pass you cant use the bus?

Also I read that the Hakuba Valley Pass now uses IC chips, does this mean no lining up if you have already bought the pass?
Contact your accomodation, they will possibly have discounted passes, pricing is usually as good as the vouchers, with less hassle. Their hill choices may be limited though.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

I was last at Hakuba in January 2017 catching a shuttle bus most days, and the bus didn't even look at lift tickets. I'm pretty sure that's a phurphy.

Where I stay you usually get 1000 Yen or so off the daily lift pass. So I just buy the pass on the day at my accomodation, or at most for a couple of consecutive days. The exception to that is I get 5 days Hakuba Valley pass at 50% through the Mountain Collective, so I use that first. I think it's 5 out of 9 days or something. You need to go to the Hakuba Bus terminal to organise that, which is a once off PITA.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014

You don't need to purchase the "HakubaValley" pass to ride shuttles. "HakubaValley" promote the shuttle routes listed as HV-1, HV-2 & HV-3 and charge for routes 2 & 3. By purchasing the valley pass they say you can ride their 2 & 3 routes for free. (Saving of 1000 Yen return). However, these are not the only shuttles available. The resorts themselves run their own free shuttles with about 12 routes. The only shuttle not free is to Cortina.
Eg: http://www.hakuba.jp/iwatake/en/access.html
Also, check with your accom what lift ticket discounts they offer, then check that against Snownavi coupons. Last time we went to Hakuba the accom could provide the same discount as Snownavi coupons for Happo One, but they could not do the same for the other resorts, so we used the Snownavi coupons at the other hills.

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
Much excitement!

I imagine this is a great time of year. Autumn colours plus snow. How'd you fare after the typhoon?

gibbsy

Addicted
Aug 3, 2011
Being a tad lazy here, but may do a couple days at hakuba straight off the flight... is it doable to get there by shink-bus from the jester gc flight getting in about 630pm?

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Being a tad lazy here, but may do a couple days at hakuba straight off the flight... is it doable to get there by shink-bus from the jester gc flight getting in about 630pm?
Long journey

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yes. Chuo taxi
Not shink bus.. .unless you are donzahninja.

Happy Birthday giblett

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002

Unlikely.

I think the last bus from nagano leaves at 10pm (can't find the winter timetable). You'd have to be on the train by 6.58pm.

Options are the bus from Narita or a Chuo Taxi. Or overnight in Nagano or Matsumoto if you want to shink.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
And another option:
Alpico bus from Shinjuku at 11pm, getting into Hakuba at 5:45am!! (about 4850yen)
Narita Airport to Shinjuku station 2670yen.
Total about 7500yen. Doable!! ;)

Chuo Taxi: 15,900yen.

Nagano Snow Shuttle: 10,250yen, 8:30pm departure, 1:30am arr.

Reactions: Zimboo and Donza

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
And another option:
Alpico bus from Shinjuku at 11pm, getting into Hakuba at 5:45am!! (about 4850yen)
Narita Airport to Shinjuku station 2670yen.
Total about 7500yen. Doable!! ;)

Chuo Taxi: 15,900yen.

Nagano Snow Shuttle: 10,250yen, 8:30pm departure, 1:30am arr.
Gibbs can travel.
He once hitchhiked the Khyber pass.

gibbsy

Addicted
Aug 3, 2011
Cheers crew, the snow shuttle would be the easiest, but may just blow hakuba off and head straight to minakami... the missus will be in hakuba but its too much stuffing around for what will be only a couple of days there anyway....

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Cheers crew, the snow shuttle would be the easiest, but may just blow hakuba off and head straight to minakami... the missus will be in hakuba but its too much stuffing around for what will be only a couple of days there anyway....
If you are heading to Minakami, then rather than Hakuba, you can easily get to Yuzawa that night, and do a couple of days at Naeba/Kagura.

Reactions: Zimboo

alexleigh

First Runs
Oct 31, 2017
Bookings are going nuts at the moment so that's keeping me busy. The vibe is building in town. It started to get cold so it's that time when everyone is thinking shite I still have soooo much to do.
7 weeks to go I reckon.
Hakuba 22 Feb 3.JPG
when was this taken?

alexleigh

First Runs
Oct 31, 2017
My boyfriend and I are going to Hakuba for a week over Xmas to New Years. First time visiting Japan (unfortunately the only time that could work for us this year!!) but desperately wanted to go after a great season here in Aus and both having time off. Can anyone share experiences from late December? Please tell me that even then its 10x better than Australian snow season? I've promised the goods and really want to deliver!!!!!

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
My boyfriend and I are going to Hakuba for a week over Xmas to New Years. First time visiting Japan (unfortunately the only time that could work for us this year!!) but desperately wanted to go after a great season here in Aus and both having time off. Can anyone share experiences from late December? Please tell me that even then its 10x better than Australian snow season? I've promised the goods and really want to deliver!!!!!
Can be awesome. Can also be crap. I think the last two years December has been pretty ordinary.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Last two seasons have been grass.
Hopefully this year is a bit better.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Not in Myoko.

This was in 2015/16 on NY morning. Worst season in 30-40 years. When there was still grass at Hakuba.

Last year was alright too.

But how about the year before?!

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Not in Myoko.

This was in 2015/16 on NY morning. Worst season in 30-40 years. When there was still grass at Hakuba.

Last year was alright too.

But how about the year before?!

Whoops...........Hakuba thread, but yeah Myoko gets plenty of snow.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
I have never been at your time but I would imagine Shiga Kogen would be best pick as a international. (not knowing the weather months before booking).
Highest.
Whoops Hakuba thread......LOL

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Have you already booked your accommodation?

alexleigh

First Runs
Oct 31, 2017
Last two seasons have been grass.
Hopefully this year is a bit better.
Grass as in cannot board at all? My understanding was that it was hardly any snow at the bottom of the mountain but that they still got fresh snow frequently at the top? :\

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Grass as in cannot board at all? My understanding was that it was hardly any snow at the bottom of the mountain but that they still got fresh snow frequently at the top? :\
This was christmas day 2015
Pic from Pat .
996738_10153832659703914_4207338358924592009_n.jpg

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Then it did snow two days later .
Alas with minimal lifts open .

However there is *usually some snow in this period . This was quite a drought. (ie year before was exceptional)
10455586_10153837424243914_5910116837875681047_n.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass