The big Hakuba thread 2017/2018 - trip planning, trip reports, general musings about fried chicken

citizenkane

Hard Yards
Oct 18, 2017
Just a heads up, the fireworks are kinda lame and please chat to your accomm about where you can use them and get it done by 9pm. Have to agree with Whatever, that stationary shop is a trip, love going in there as they always have what I want.
I'm hearing ya Pete, nothing worse than the 2am drunken yobbo letting off fireworks...

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Many years ago he was even selling airsoft pistols. He also stocks some very good speciality art pens at way less than we can get them in Aus.
Back in 2010 I remember seeing BB Guns for sale in Echoland, probably safe in the hands of locals, but the AUS visitors were buying them and behaving, well you know

Reactions: TACKIE

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
I think the ******** element has eased off the last few years (downturn in mining ? who knows) or is it that I just don't notice it anymore.? Anyway it's always the case that you notice the dickheads, the other 95% are all good.

Reactions: LMB and Tanuki

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I think the ******** element has eased off the last few years (downturn in mining ? who knows) or is it that I just don't notice it anymore.? Anyway it's always the case that you notice the dickheads, the other 95% are all good.
Yeah I think there really was a "thing" of going to japan . Within that demographic. Then treating the place as a Bali type holiday.

Reactions: LMB

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Talking shops in Haks, there is a ski shop on the Highway (parallel with the rail line) that is a real treasure trove. Can't remember the name of the place, but is back towards Nagano maybe 1km from Hakuba train station.
Missing a tip for you stock, they've gottem, need some funky clip or bracket for AT bindings, they'll have it.
The place reminded more of a mountaineering shop than a ski shop, but still sells boots, jackets, goggs etc.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Talking shops in Haks, there is a ski shop on the Highway (parallel with the rail line) that is a real treasure trove. Can't remember the name of the place, but is back towards Nagano maybe 1km from Hakuba train station.
Missing a tip for you stock, they've gottem, need some funky clip or bracket for AT bindings, they'll have it.
The place reminded more of a mountaineering shop than a ski shop, but still sells boots, jackets, goggs etc.
I reckon I know the one, I got some quality gloves from them. Plus the hardware store nearby had great insulated gumboots

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
That's it. It's a real rabbit warren, some real gems in that place. There is also quite a large hardware on the same road on the way into Hakuba, just near a small bridge It's not quirky, but they've got some great stuff as well, like the yellow gloves the locals wear for snow work, insulated gum boots etc.

Reactions: TACKIE

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Local media are reporting there will be a new shuttle bus service between Toyama Airport and Hakuba. I guess it's mainly for Korean, Taiwanese, etc, though because there are international flights between Toyama and those Asian countries.

Reactions: Vermillion
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Local media are reporting there will be a new shuttle bus service between Toyama Airport and Hakuba. I guess it's mainly for Korean, Taiwanese, etc, though because there are international flights between Japan and those Asian countries.

That's still what, 2 hours + to get to Hakuba from Toyama?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Local media are reporting there will be a new shuttle bus service between Toyama Airport and Hakuba. I guess it's mainly for Korean, Taiwanese, etc, though because there are international flights between Japan and those Asian countries.
I see...from Korea

They also fly to Chitose from there...
Mind you they also fly to Chitose from Matsumoto

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
iparknew.jpg

Reactions: Donza

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Punctuation critique, that is your best response, really ?
"Marketing departments are redundant now"
I thought my response was fitting for such an idiotic comment. Give me just one marketing department that has been made redundant around the world. Even then I still don't understand what your issue is. Not sure what you and the gagger's problem is at all but i'll leave it there for you two to masticate together.

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
"Marketing departments are redundant now"
I thought my response was fitting for such an idiotic comment. Give me just one marketing department that has been made redundant around the world. Even then I still don't understand what your issue is. Not sure what you and the gagger's problem is at all but i'll leave it there for you two to masticate together.

Have you been under a rock for the last 10 years ?

Ask Richard how many views the cams this independent website logged the season just gone, lets just start with this one question first .................

And just one snapshot :

traditional-vs-online-marketing-newspaper-trend-2014.png

All of these traditional marketing outlets that were once growing steady and dominating are on the out. Why? There is predominantly one reason – the Internet.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Its been snowing up top all day and looking forward to what the morning shows. Spent an hour tonight getting my gear out and will be waxing the rock hopper tomorrow or Monday. My bet is some turns at the top of Goyru possibly as early as next weekend. STOKED!!!! Just have to finish two new apartments, a refurb of the bar kitchen, fitout a little house for long term rental and sort out my own home. At least today I did the snow tires on the 4 cars. "Its OK we have until December" :)

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
Have you been under a rock for the last 10 years ?

Ask Richard how many views the cams this independent website logged the season just gone, lets just start with this one question first .................

And just one snapshot :

traditional-vs-online-marketing-newspaper-trend-2014.png

All of these traditional marketing outlets that were once growing steady and dominating are on the out. Why? There is predominantly one reason – the Internet.
What the hell has this got to do with @TJ's Facebook page? Or Hakuba at all for that matter?
Anyway I got a email from FB, telling me I was invited to like his page. Don't know if this was manual or a robot though. I took a look and gave it a like. Yes, I could see through it and see the commercial message in some of the posts. But if you were there, I am sure his posts would be helpful in knowing where to ski in the Hakuba valley. Anyway, it does a better job at advertising Hakuba to this market, than the actual resorts....

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
What the hell has this got to do with @TJ's Facebook page? Or Hakuba at all for that matter?
Anyway I got a email from FB, telling me I was invited to like his page. Don't know if this was manual or a robot though. I took a look and gave it a like. Yes, I could see through it and see the commercial message in some of the posts. But if you were there, I am sure his posts would be helpful in knowing where to ski in the Hakuba valley. Anyway, it does a better job at advertising Hakuba to this market, than the actual resorts....
I have no dramas with hakuba being marketed..
I'm at odds with "hakuba" being marketed by an accommodation site..
People perceive "hakuba" facebook is actually representative and relevant to the valley and resorts. Unfortunately it's a spam account for an accommodation based company.
Akin to ski rider or mid station.. Having a "perisher " FB page

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Its been snowing up top all day and looking forward to what the morning shows. Spent an hour tonight getting my gear out and will be waxing the rock hopper tomorrow or Monday. My bet is some turns at the top of Goyru possibly as early as next weekend. STOKED!!!! Just have to finish two new apartments, a refurb of the bar kitchen, fitout a little house for long term rental and sort out my own home. At least today I did the snow tires on the 4 cars. "Its OK we have until December" :)
4 cars?

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I'm loving that the musings and dreams that you put down in words a decade ago are now a fabulous snowy lifestyle reality. Go you good thing!!!

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
People perceive "hakuba" facebook is actually representative and relevant to the valley and resorts. Unfortunately it's a spam account for an accommodation based company.

It really doesnt bother me. Must take a lot of energy to be that angry at a FB page, of all things.

Reactions: WotSoWot

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba

My Wife`s, her Dad`s, her Mum`s and finally when it had got rather cold my own :)

All good as its just part of getting ready for the season. Not as enjoyable as buying new snowboards but all part of starting to get stoked. Big task this week is pick up my season pass. Last year had the Hakuba Valley Pass and it was excellent so doing the same again :)

Reactions: LMB

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
I'm loving that the musings and dreams that you put down in words a decade ago are now a fabulous snowy lifestyle reality. Go you good thing!!!

Thanks MB - its been a long journey from initially finding the old SJF which was the key vector in my initial trip and living here now. Incidentally without that forum and members like you and TJ I honestly dont think I would be living here now, married and driving a kei truck :) Funny the turns life takes sometimes.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Thanks MB - its been a long journey from initially finding the old SJF which was the key vector in my initial trip and living here now. Incidentally without that forum and members like you and TJ I honestly dont think I would be living here now, married and driving a kei truck :) Funny the turns life takes sometimes.
Best story ever! :thumbs:

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
Big change from the Sunny Coast..eh.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Big change from the Sunny Coast..eh.

Yes and no Tackie. When I moved to the Sunny Hoax in `75 as a kid it was a small fishing/tourism area where you almost knew everybody then in summer, it would get a tad busier same on the weekends. Hakuba is pretty much like that I reckon when you swap fishing for agriculture although its starting to change with a lot of new gaijin in town. I have only been here a heartbeat and am new myself so some of the older long term guys must really notice the difference, just as we did when the coast started to really grow.

Have swapped a beach lifestyle for one in the mountains which I really like and its a very strong culture here so I guess that is similar too. No need to list negative aspects of living on the Hoax except to say that what we dont have here I can live without except friends, family and the beach. All just a day away by train plane and automobile :)

Reactions: TACKIE and LMB

Whatever really

Addicted
Sep 21, 2017
Yes and no Tackie. When I moved to the Sunny Hoax in `75 as a kid it was a small fishing/tourism area where you almost knew everybody then in summer, it would get a tad busier same on the weekends. Hakuba is pretty much like that I reckon when you swap fishing for agriculture although its starting to change with a lot of new gaijin in town. I have only been here a heartbeat and am new myself so some of the older long term guys must really notice the difference, just as we did when the coast started to really grow.

Have swapped a beach lifestyle for one in the mountains which I really like and its a very strong culture here so I guess that is similar too. No need to list negative aspects of living on the Hoax except to say that what we dont have here I can live without except friends, family and the beach. All just a day away by train plane and automobile :)
I’m from the Sunny Coast originally too, born there in 81 and it’s sad to see where it is today, I’m now in Melbourne and like you miss mates and the lifestyle but it will always be there and I know if I go back I’ll miss the mountains.

Reactions: Lucky Pete

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
Been on the Coast a lot longer than that. Still remember when the Nicklin way was built, and you no longer had to go through Buderim and down the h/way to get to Caloundra. Sure has changed. Moved to the hinterland in the early eighties to get away from the coastal strip. Bought a place in Hakuba 10 years ago and spend the winters there. A public holiday w/end crowd in Hakuba is akin to any day of the week around Kawana these days.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I feel as though these conversations are like we are having a chat over a beer (or Yuzu Shu) - those conversations always segue to other things remotely connected before diverting back to the topic at hand. It's natural human interaction.
I can just see the aspie forum members sitting at the bar crying NO! You've gone off topic! I can't cope. Get back on!! LOL

Melskius

One of Us
Aug 2, 2015
Been on the Coast a lot longer than that. Still remember when the Nicklin way was built, and you no longer had to go through Buderim and down the h/way to get to Caloundra. Sure has changed. Moved to the hinterland in the early eighties to get away from the coastal strip. Bought a place in Hakuba 10 years ago and spend the winters there. A public holiday w/end crowd in Hakuba is akin to any day of the week around Kawana these days.

Sunny coast alum as well. My dad helped build the nicklin way. I went to Kawana high.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Might has well jump in on this....
Grew up on the SC for 10 years, Palmwoods, Woombye and Nambour.

Wonder what the correlation between SC and Hakuba is?

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Sorry mate. I never realised you were so angry about it. I have always treated the forums as a bit of fun and banter but you are obviously quite upset by what I do on another medium. Like I have said before the page is for people that are here in Hakuba so they know where the best place to slide is each day. I was up early doing it for my guests anyway and after hearing of so many other crew having an ordinary day when they could have had an excellent one, I thought it was worthwhile putting up the info on a FB page. Never thought it would grow the way it has. Didn't think it would be seen as a bad thing either. Happy to chat further about it over a beer next time you're in Hakuba.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
So this storm cycle is looking better and better with possibly 1.6m above 2000m (Source: Hakuba Mountain Life) but we wont know until its done. Hopefully the temps lower are nice and cool and we see enough accumulation on resort for lifts to start spinning, maybe as early as this weekend or early next week. Paid for my season ticket today and spent tonight waxing my soon to be rock hopper and drinking beers with TJ. Great pre season evening. Really interested to see what happens over the next 5 days. Bring it on like Donkey Kong. :)

Reactions: LMB and Froff Life

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Realistically, much of the moisture heading in from the south initially on saturday, when it's still warm (freeze above 2000m).
After that, snow below 500m on Sunday, but the fetch of the wind and the strength doesn't look promising for big snow totals.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Yep its a long way from dumping down and who knows how it will play out. There is already an interesting post from a well placed person in Happo alluding to a possible sneaky opening this weekend. There isnt enough yet though as these pics indicate.

Attachments

• 23559633_1647249851994179_2427802483652002262_n.jpg
    23559633_1647249851994179_2427802483652002262_n.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 23519365_1647249618660869_1898365448550802369_n.jpg
    23519365_1647249618660869_1898365448550802369_n.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Froff Life
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a