Resource The big Myoko/Madarao/Arai thread - 2018/19

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
M12 is off to scout jamboree, +1 is staying in Oz in case he needs a parent in a hurry, F20 is broke so I'm on my own for our annual January bugger-off-out-of-the-horrible-weather-in-sydney-and-go-skiing expedition. So I booked flights to Japan last night (long story - till last night bonus QF status credits were on offer, which I need to retain my silver status).

Probably heading for Myoko for starters and try to get to some of the other local resorts this time around. Maybe a few days in Hakuba as well.

:woohoo:

Reactions: Lucky Pete
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
Egg-bloody-zactly.

I too have spent a fortune training up a ski buddy (when she slows down enough to ski with me) who now can't afford to come skiing with me. In my case +1 expressly forbids me from subsidising her. I can accept that it's important for F20 to develop a work ethic but it sure f**s up my ski holidays.

Reactions: JoeKing

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Egg-bloody-zactly.

I too have spent a fortune training up a ski buddy (when she slows down enough to ski with me) who now can't afford to come skiing with me. In my case +1 expressly forbids me from subsidising her. I can accept that it's important for F20 to develop a work ethic but it sure f**s up my ski holidays.
It's possible I may be heading up that way around then.....
PM sent

Reactions: Sandy

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Finally got round to watching this and had to stop myself laughing out loud too much. There were some fun stats which I’ve never heard before...is it true that at its peak there were 800(!!) resorts? And is Seki seriously the oldest resort in Japan?

The way it’s shot makes it feel like they’ve discovered this barren and now deserted spot in the middle of nowhere. Far from the realities of Myoko (Akakura) from what I’ve seen in recent years.

Got to hand it to red bull though - cinematography is definitely on point.

Reactions: M_G

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Maybe there were 800 at one stage but that would include tiny one lift places built by local towns.

The first place to ski at was Mt Kanaya in what is now Joetsu City. The first formal ski grounds were in Myoko Kogen so I guess they're stretching the truth to fit their narrative.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
The first snow has come to Myoko region. This is Mt.Hiuchi today.

u5k1OnJxwzBA.W7njaZNGdgdHeEywXi6H3AJbpJ_bB3wrDFemMfm5b2CV3wJh6UL7yMUZg--

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
Americans.
There have been a lot of American groups touring Myoko for many years. Almost threw one out onto the street for annoying patrons and staff in a restaurant. I think he was a guide, one of those popup tour groups who couldn't speak a word of Japanese apart from sumimasen. It's was getting way too crowded for a small town but dam I do like the place.

#75 Charles, A moment ago

ratherb@thesnow

One of Us
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Third time back to Myoko this Jan, as excited about the snow as I am, I'm also hanging out for the food, any recommendations on places to eat from the locals, Skichanger? on previous visit really enjoyed some of the places up near the T junction, Kei, Asagao, hoping to try Avaya this year if we can find it.

Also is our New Years Eve normally celebrated in any way in Myoko? bonfire/fireworks that sort of thing, some off the crew are keen to see in the new year in some way.

Thanks Team

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Third time back to Myoko this Jan, as excited about the snow as I am, I'm also hanging out for the food, any recommendations on places to eat from the locals, Skichanger? on previous visit really enjoyed some of the places up near the T junction, Kei, Asagao, hoping to try Avaya this year if we can find it.

Also is our New Years Eve normally celebrated in any way in Myoko? bonfire/fireworks that sort of thing, some off the crew are keen to see in the new year in some way.

Thanks Team
There are a few more new restaurants opening this season. It really depends on what you want. But I would:
  1. ask where you are staying for their advice
  2. come and see us at Chalet Madarao if you come over to Madarao. Our restaurant will be open all day and we are genuine ski in ski out
  3. My altime fav in Akakura onsen is Shibata.
  4. For something up market check out The Address
  5. Check out Myosen as they are opening a restaurant this year.
  6. We are probably a bit out of the way but we will be doing simple dinners 3 nights a week at Chalet Myoko. The restaurant area of the lodge is actually a really nice space with high ceilings, nice bar and a fire.
There are always fireworks up at Kanko on new years eve. And not sure how you arrange it but early morning skiing on New Year's Day. There are also lots of drunks in all the bars, the ususal stuff you see everywhere.

Reactions: ratherb@thesnow

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
#7 - http://myokokogen.net/twelve-things-to-do-in-myoko-kogen/ Ask your lodge to drop you down. It's me driving in the first vid below. However it's walkable from anywhere in the village or Kanko area.

New Years Eve celebration is at the local shrine. Line up to ring the bells and get a shot of sake.

151231_BenEy__DSC0779.jpg

Inside the temple if you see a bald old gaijin drinking with the locals, that's probably me. ;)

It's Boganvista at Skate Bar and a couple of other places if that's your go.

Also ask your lodge what they recommend in the way of restaurants. My fav is Harumi on the main street. I also go to Shibata and Koyama a bit because it's great simple food (and they also happen to be good friends).

Reactions: moz and Ramenman

ratherb@thesnow

One of Us
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Seeking more advice that I cant find on google, other than using the Ski shuttle bus will i be able to hire a driver with an 8 seater type vehicle to take my group of 8 people to say Sugi or Tangram for day trips while we are in Myoko? we would prefer to pay the extra and be collected from our hotel and driven to the other resorts.

offshore

Hard Yards
Nov 29, 2018
Heading back to Myoko this year for the third time, but haven't been for a couple of years.

What is the ATM situation in Myoko these days? Still just the post office, or are there now more options for cash?

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Heading back to Myoko this year for the third time, but haven't been for a couple of years.

What is the ATM situation in Myoko these days? Still just the post office, or are there now more options for cash?

This season just past we found that credit cards were much more accepted for payment than 2 years earlier (eg Kanko lift tickets sales, many restaurants).

offshore

Hard Yards
Nov 29, 2018
This season just past we found that credit cards were much more accepted for payment than 2 years earlier (eg Kanko lift tickets sales, many restaurants).

Thanks that's good to know. Cash for ski-passes was always messy.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
WIll I need much cash in Madarao for things like lift tickets, ski hire, supermarket or is Visa widely accepted?

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
WIll I need much cash in Madarao for things like lift tickets, ski hire, supermarket or is Visa widely accepted?
Lift tickets, no CC is ok. Once the restaurant guide comes out you will know who takes CCs. There is no supermarket. Ski Hire should be ok on a CC. I think you will need cash for lunch on the mountain.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass