Resource The big Myoko/Madarao/Arai thread - 2018/19

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia
Has anyone heard about some deaths at Arai?Was talking to a lodge owner this morning
and he said a few people had died a few days ago but didnt have any detail.Scary place.

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
Ok, this may sound silly but we are booked via maxi taxi to go from Madarao to Okushiga Kogen lunchtime tomorrow. Do they drive in heavy snow?

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Ok, this may sound silly but we are booked via maxi taxi to go from Madarao to Okushiga Kogen lunchtime tomorrow. Do they drive in heavy snow?
Never done it (have just used bus transport) , but @Lady Penelope took a Maxi from Shiga to Nozawa recently in heavy snow conditions. So, I suspect it's like the KFC ad.........."shut up and take my money".

Reactions: skivet

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
As @Zimbooo says, the answer is “yes”. And despite the journey taking almost 3 times as long as usual, the final fare for us was exactly the same as the initial quoted price. Beat dragging ski bags on and off buses!

Reactions: Zimbooo and skivet

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
As @Zimbooo says, the answer is “yes”. And despite the journey taking almost 3 times as long as usual, the final fare for us was exactly the same as the initial quoted price. Beat dragging ski bags on and off buses!
Ours was same doing essentially reverse. Prince west to madarao. They just take it slower and pick different routes.

If it’s Nagaden taxi the drivers are excellent. Know their stuff.

shepski

Addicted
Feb 5, 2017
Perth
From the Myoko now page 26/1 on snowjapan.com:
Lots of accidents around here lately, and it's a bit discouraging. An avalanche death yesterday (slab avalanche, caused by all that wind of a few days ago making for a wind-loaded slope), a boarder who crashed upside and couldn't get out of the snow; a jump high up a mountain going wrong (another fatality), and a broken leg after a meeting with a tree. Three of these were with international guests, something we have not had much. There's a lot of snow out there; there is a lot of difficult terrain.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Is it possible to do day trips from Madarao to Myoko or other local resorts without a car via bus/shuttle? Anyone have any ideas on return taxi cost? Going to base ourselves at Madarao for 5 days in late feb but just looking at other options incase it doesn’t snow and we get bored of piste skiing there.

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
Is it possible to do day trips from Madarao to Myoko or other local resorts without a car via bus/shuttle? Anyone have any ideas on return taxi cost? Going to base ourselves at Madarao for 5 days in late feb but just looking at other options incase it doesn’t snow and we get bored of piste skiing there.
There is a bus that runs Madarao to Myoko each day look up Akakura Madarao line.leaves Madarao Kogen Hotel 9 am and Returns 4 pm.
Otherwise check up Active Life hotels Madarao ( three hotels to choose from). They offer free shuttle buses to a different resort Monday to Friday. Leave their hotels around 8 am and return 4.30 pm, visiting neighbouring ski fields including Myoko. Nozawa Onsen, Arai Lotte, chosen on where the best conditions look.

Attachments

• 677291A0-BAB9-41E6-B052-05A154696DD5.png
    677291A0-BAB9-41E6-B052-05A154696DD5.png
    272.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 4EC2C791-90E0-4DA9-89B6-EF624FE75AFA.png
    4EC2C791-90E0-4DA9-89B6-EF624FE75AFA.png
    270.3 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: LDJ

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
@skivet thanks for the info. I think I’ll be at the Madarao Kogen hotel as good on-site onsen (ideally outside as well) is a mandatory for my wife so bus will work well. I might also pop into active life and see if we can jump onboard their shuttle for a small fee.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Seems a lot of incidents at Arai this year for such a small resort. Whats the go? Haven’t skied there but was looking at heading over in a few weeks was going to base at Arai and then travel to other resorts if snow wasn’t great but got a little spooked so going to Madarao now. With Arai is it specific localised conditions, the terrain? the resort? Or just unlucky coincidence. Have done seasons in Europe in big resorts with lots of offpiste and there have been less incidents than Arai this year.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Seems a lot of incidents at Arai this year for such a small resort. Whats the go? Haven’t skied there but was looking at heading over in a few weeks was going to base at Arai and then travel to other resorts if snow wasn’t great but got a little spooked so going to Madarao now. With Arai is it specific localised conditions, the terrain? the resort? Or just unlucky coincidence. Have done seasons in Europe in big resorts with lots of offpiste and there have been less incidents than Arai this year.
Most of Arai is completely ungroomed and traffic is pretty light. When I went down the lift line a few weeks ago there were some pockets of totally unskied snow next to terrain that had been traversed previously then covered over in the last fall. In the space of a metre I went from staying above the snow to buried chest deep. When I was there only a small part of the ungroomed section was open, the other sections were still accumulating snow.
All of this was inbounds. Out of bounds I would assume would be deeper and even sketchier.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Arai says the snowdepth at 1000m above sea level is 524cm now. Arai is one of the snowiest ski resorts in the world.

Low altitude + low latitude + very close to the ocean = it's warmer than most other very snowy ski resorts, which makes Arai avalanche prone even more, I think. Thanks to the world class snowfall, the treeline is very low. A very big snowfall on relatively steep tree-less OOB slopes after a warm day(s), I feel very scared and try to avoid them.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
I’m in Myoko from 27th Feb to 3rd March. What is best hotel for awesome indoor/outdoor onsen. Happy with japense or western style. Don’t want to stay at AKH due to location combined with cost.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
I’m in Myoko from 27th Feb to 3rd March. What is best hotel for awesome indoor/outdoor onsen. Happy with japense or western style. Don’t want to stay at AKH due to location combined with cost.
If you can get in, Akakura Onsen Hotel. I’m pretty sure it’s an onsen that also does hotel rooms (c;

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
The late bus from Madarao to Myoko (5pmish) doesn’t to Akakura Onsen according to timetable only to Myoko bus terminal. Is the bus terminal at Myoko train station? Any ideas where it is as will be trying to get to Akakura. Google is failing my sausage fingers currently

Reactions: elSpike

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
The late bus from Madarao to Myoko (5pmish) doesn’t to Akakura Onsen according to timetable only to Myoko bus terminal. Is the bus terminal at Myoko train station? Any ideas where it is as will be trying to get to Akakura. Google is failing my sausage fingers currently
Bus terminal is about 100m from the train station. Easy enough to get a taxi from there to Akakura. ¥2200-2400.
Taxi rank is next to the train station.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
@elSpike perfect thanks. I’m a big fan of simplistic maps. I have board and ski bag so don’t want to walk off in wrong direction where possible

Reactions: elSpike

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
@elSpike perfect thanks. I’m a big fan of simplistic maps. I have board and ski bag so don’t want to walk off in wrong direction where possible
Unless it is super foggy, you cannot miss the train station from the bus terminal. If in doubt head downhill.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp

In order of personal preference:
Akakura Hotel (although be warned - it may remind you of Grand Hotel Budapest in some aspects)
Taiko Hotel
Refre Hotel (although I think their outside onsen may be buried)
Kogakuro Hotel

Or you can stay with us and go out to visit different onsen. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: nfip and elSpike

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Akakura Hotel (although be warned - it may remind you of Grand Hotel Budapest in some aspects

It’s the lighting in the lobby and the not quite “apricot” aspects.

That and the Aunty who appears as if from nowhere to guide lost looking families...

Reactions: M_G

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Most of Arai is completely ungroomed and traffic is pretty light. When I went down the lift line a few weeks ago there were some pockets of totally unskied snow next to terrain that had been traversed previously then covered over in the last fall. In the space of a metre I went from staying above the snow to buried chest deep. When I was there only a small part of the ungroomed section was open, the other sections were still accumulating snow.
All of this was inbounds. Out of bounds I would assume would be deeper and even sketchier.
Even without avalanche danger (I assume Arai are diligent with inbounds avalanche control) I'd say the biggest hazard the for the average inbounds rider is terrain traps....
If you get stuck in a tricky spot, it can take 30min just to get out to a place you can ride out. In some cases, if the trap is bad, it can be hours....
And I'm not talking about just creeks, but just flat spots that would be OK with 30cm, but not with 45cm. Multiply the the hazard with each 15cm on top of that
And it takes a bit of experience to be able to read when terrain trap will become hazardous

Reactions: Tanuki and nfip

shepski

Addicted
Feb 5, 2017
Perth
I've always been curious about it, but does it take long for the snow to melt/clear away in the drains?

col

One of Us
Jun 25, 2005
Has anyone ever done a bus run from top of madarao all the way down to iiyama ? Is this even possible without a hiking to much ?

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Has anyone ever done a bus run from top of madarao all the way down to iiyama ? Is this even possible without a hiking to much ?
What do mean by "bus run from the top of Madarao"? There are buses from the village down to Iiyama.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass