1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource The big Myoko/Madarao/Arai thread - 2019/20

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M_G, Sep 20, 2019.

1. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Starting a bit late this year.

Discussion is go!

Check out the following threads for lots of great info (but post new questions here).
    The big Myoko/Madarao/Arai thread - 2018/19
    The big Myoko/Madarao/Arai thread - 2017/18
    Myoko/Madarao thread 2016/17
    Myoko/Madarao thread 2015/16
    Myoko & Madarao thread 2014/15
    Myoko 2013-14 thread
    Myoko 2011-13 thread

When the mountain turns white get excited. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Info:
    Myokokogen Wikiski
    Backcountry - Myoko / Madarao
    Getting there - Myoko / Madarao / Arai
    Ski info - Myoko / Madarao / Arai / Charmant
    Bars and restaurants - Myoko / Madarao
    Passes and coupons - Myoko / Madarao
    Webcams - Myoko / Madarao
    Snow Reports - Myoko / Madarao
    Things to do - Myoko / Madarao
    Area map of resorts

#1 M_G, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    GJC likes this.
  2. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

Really looking forward to my first trip to Myoko this year, mid Jan. May well purchase some new skis to celebrate too, the old pair have done their duty.

3. andrew7

andrew7 Hard Yards

Will be there 15-22 Feb (first time back for about 4 years); staying at the Powder Recon Lodge. Part of a LSL 8 summer v winter week break with 2 weeks at Whistler the month before :)

ponyrider likes this.
  4. silva

silva One of Us

Looking forward to Myoko visit - 10 - 17 January, 2 adults and Mr 10. All snowboarding.
    Staying at Red Warehouse.

M_G likes this.
  5. M_G

Autumn up top

[​IMG]

fennekeg, nfip, grantn and 4 others like this.
  6. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Heading to Myoko for the first time in late January for four days before finishing off with three days in Buller-sur-Neige (Madarao). Have skied the latter before but never the former. It's my fourth year of doing a dad and daughter trip which is always good fun. Can't wait for the first solid snow to arrive on the webcams to get the stoke levels up! Will follow this thread with interest :)

Paradox, Kimski and M_G like this.
  7. M_G

Some problems with the transport to the area because of the recent typhoon. Will keeps things updated if this looks like stretching into the season but I do doubt that.

elSpike, usedtacould, skifree and 2 others like this.
  8. M_G

Good news! Shinkansen services to Joetsu Myoko will resume next Friday 25 October.
    Initially services will be less then regular with only 80% of rolling stock available. This will increase as more trains are returned to the system.
    The new schedule will be released Wed. 23 October.
    See here for more info: https://tetsudo-ch.com/9836235.html (in Japanese)

Hyst and skifree like this.
  9. M_G

10. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Lotte is opening some new trail. Hope their Avi control is on point....

- Ski course new course opening announcement -

We will open a new course from this season in response to a lot of customer s' requests.
    A New course has been built on the top of the top of the mountain (old north slope), and even a beginner's customer is able to take a runway from the top of the mountain.
    It's a gradual layout to the sawa, so it's infinity to play with advanced customers.
    It's a particularly recommended course for customers and family who experience Sports Sports for the first time.
    Enjoy the view that you can only taste here from the top of the mountain, and the long run for the gradual beginners.

Ramenman, grantn and Zimbooo like this.
  11. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Isn't that open now anyway? Might not have been a defined trail but you could get in there....looks like it follows the valley...

12. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

13. M_G

14. SnowArt

SnowArt First Runs

Hey Everyone, just joined up and first time posting. Wondering what the typical conditions are at the end of Feb and first week of March? I'll be heading over 27th Feb to 7 March 2020, would the snow likely have softened by then?

Also any recommendations of half day guides for slack country? Would like to slowly lvl up to B/C but have yet to do AVI courses.

15. M_G

#15 M_G, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  16. weegie

weegie First Runs

First timer here having recently decided on Myoko for the snowboard part of our February trip.

Looking for some advice on where to base ourselves /accommodation. I'd read previously about free shuttles to other resorts put on by hotels. Is this still a thing and do you just email around hotels to confirm before booking? Akakura Onsen would probably be our base for 7 nights unless it makes more sense to split between two bases. Any advice appreciated.

17. silva

silva One of Us

Hit up M_G at Red Warehouse for accommodation. If he is full he will recommend other options to suit your requirements.
    If you let us know what you are looking for in terms of accommodation and a rough budget people will be able to make recommendations as well.

M_G and elSpike like this.
  18. M_G

Thanks @silva
    Yes, need to know the basics
    How many people?
    All adults?
    Style required? (Japanese, western, ensuite, etc.)
    Rough dates.

If you're looking early Feb choices are going to be limited with a lot of places already full. After mid-Feb there will be a bit more choice.

Disclaimer:
    If you're serious about finding something hit me up. If you're going to ask lots of questions, jerk me around and then wander off to book on booking.com then please spare me. Ta. Happened too many times recently.

hotsaki and mannyk like this.
  19. silva

silva One of Us

That sucks. Sometimes plans change and things don't work out (happened to me before but I used the info gained to book this year) - hopefully at least some of the people who you have taken the time to provide information to learn the value of that information and you get their bookings in the future.

Kimski and M_G like this.
  20. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Tread with a little caution in late Feb and early March. Could be amazing, but by the same token it could be a bit damp if you pick the wrong week.

21. M_G

I'd like to think that but has happened very rarely. What really irks me is when I ask, "If you're going to book this hotel using bc can you this specific link because at least that way I get a little bit of beer money through affiliate ref." A not unreasonable ask if I've spent time helping them out. But 8/10 times they don't. So I guess I'm just a bit circumspect these days.

Some years I've had crap weeks in Jan and good weeks in Feb/Mar. Really luck of the draw.

22. weegie

weegie First Runs

Cheers folks. First off.... Disclaimer noted. I've left things late so I'm playing catch up and wanna get accommodation booked.

Dates : between 7th & 19th.
    people : 2 adults
    Style : Ensuite & probably western as I like a comfy mattress.
    Budget : mid range. If we did end up splitting locations I'd consider paying a bit extra for a couple of nights but with a 3 week trip we're trying to stay pretty modest

Rough date plan
    Land HND 7th Feb 8am. Shuttle bus airport to Myoko
    6 or 7 days snowboarding (7 or 8 nights accommodation)
    14th - 19th - travel around
    20 - 25th - Tokyo and around

I'd planned to head straight for Myoko for a few reasons - we'll be off a Scotland flight and not capable of much that day, avoid going into Tokyo & get snowboarding as soon as possible as it tends to sort the jet lag out.

appreciate the help.

23. M_G

Have a look through these.

The Akakura Wakui Hotel is a good choice. It's a local family-owned (good friends of ours - my wife went to school with them) hotel in a great location. He is quoting me 7,900 -10,500 pp/pn with a choice of western, mixed/family or Japanese rooms. Rates depend on if breakfast is needed, the room has an ensuite and whether the room is ski side or regular. (see reviews)

Hunter Lodge has a great central location with Japanese rooms and western beds. Rates are 6,500 per adult/teen, per night. (see reviews)

Senke Hotel is located right on the main street. It's a basic minshuku style with shared toilets and bathrooms. It's 5,500 pp/pn with no breakfast and 7,000 with breakfast. (see reviews)

Hotel Takeda also has a great location (ski-in). Quite basic but clean and cheap. It will be 8,900 pp/pn inc. breakfast and all taxes for Japanese style rooms with shared bathroom. (see reviews)

Red Warehouse is my old place. Still do bookings for it. There's one twin combo room available from 9 Feb for 18,900 per room, per night. Otherwise fully booked up to that date. (see reviews)

If you want something out of left field have a think about Park Lodge Sekine (reviews) or Resort Project Myoko (reviews) in Ikenotaira. Park Lodge is a unique old brewery building. Both run by the same lovely local couple - good friends of ours. It's around 6,000 pp/pn with no breakfast and 6,800 with breakfast.

Guest House Bunk (aka Bonku or Bonk) is a bright and clean pension style guesthouse located near the Akakan (Akakura Kanko) Resort ski lifts. Great atmosphere and nice owner. It will be 7,000 pp/pn inc. breakfast and all taxes.

Any of interest shoot me a PM.

#23 M_G, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    lehb, Kimski, skifree and 2 others like this.
  24. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

Wait. @M_G you aren’t at Red Warehouse anymore? Still in Akakura?

25. M_G

No. Mostly in Australia now. School wasn't working out for kids there. Tried to juggle double lives for awhile but became too difficult. Still in and around the place during Oz school holidays but no formal role apart from doing some bookings for local friends. Also still handling RW bookings for new owners.

I might actually get some skiing in this season!

26. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

That is problematic. I still owe you a beer or three! If I left something for you at RW second week of Jan would you be in a position to get it before the season ends?

27. SnowArt

SnowArt First Runs

Thanks BLUEANDWHITE. We have unfortunately booked our tickets for that period. What would you recommend as PLAN B, Hakuba? or PLAN C HOKKAIDO?

Are weather forecast in the area somewhat reliable i.e. 2 or 3 weeks out you'll get an idea on how its going to turn out?

28. M_G

Myoko has had more consistent snow than Hakuba over the last few seasons. If staying on Honshu think about Shiga Kogen as an alternative.

mannyk and Hyst like this.
  29. M_G

Possibly. That's about when I leave with the kids. Shoot me a PM a week or two before you get in. If not, if you leave something with Tom or Misty they'll make sure my wife gets it. She will be around for the whole season and a bit after.
    Gesture is much appreciated BTW! :cheers:

SnowArt and elSpike like this.
  30. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

I'm sure it'll be great mate, I think we've just been inordinately unlucky with our trips to Honshu. We've had friends go the weeks before and after us each time and they've scored amazing conditions. We looked at diverting to Hokkaido last year when we saw the forecast (which was broadly pretty consistent from about ten days out in both years we went to Honshu out of interest) but it was just going to cost too much to change at that point. We still had a great time - there's so much snow on the ground already by that time of year. Hope you have a great trip :thumbs:

SnowArt likes this.
  31. weegie

weegie First Runs

Throwing out a big thank you to @M_G for the recommends and getting us fixed up for accommodation for our dates. Much appreciated.

Paradox, skifree, silva and 2 others like this.
  32. M_G

33. M_G

skifree, Ramenman and 2ESki like this.
  34. M_G

Out the office window this morning. Wifey took 20cm off the driveway.

[​IMG]

tdc, skifree and Cheese Mountain like this.
  35. Cheese Mountain

Cheese Mountain Hard Yards

So good to see!

skifree likes this.