1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource The big Myoko/Madarao/Arai thread - 2019/20

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M_G, Sep 20, 2019.

1. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thanks.Thought so but couldn't remember.Not so good.

2. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

I'm staying near Myoko Kogen on a trip with my six year old daughter. We got into Tokyo late on Sunday night and made it to Nagano by midnight. 5 hours sleep at the hotel by the station then hopped the little red train to Myoko Kogen arriving at 707am. Straight to breakfast and onto the slopes for first lifts!

It snowed on and off all day but no real accumulation during the day from what we could see. We skied Akakura. Looked like there had been a few cm overnight up top. Vis wasn't great and snow conditions were variable but almost all of the runs were open. It was winter at the top and spring at the bottom. But we had a fun day cruising the two resorts and then smashing out the little terrain park on repeat for the afternoon.

Also had a great meal in a local restaurant which was delicious and really great value.

Hyst, Kimski, skidazza and 1 other person like this.
  3. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Woke up with a raging hangover after a night out with friends to find about 15cm had fallen outside overnight. Muddled my way through breakfast and the van ride to Suginohara whilst it puked snow like there was no tomorrow the entire time.

Unsurprisingly there was a solid queue for the gondola first up and armed with our lift tickets and my raging headache we hit the back of the queue. To add to my woes I lost my phone between the lodge and the lift which did nothing to help my mood - luckily we found it in the van later and we had a mate lend us a phone for the day. Anyhow, at the top of the gondola it became apparent that there was about 40cm of light fluffy goodness waiting for us. So we charged straight into it.

With the exception of a stop for pork curry and hot chocolate we pretty much looped the top lift for the rest of the day, trying to improve our powder riding skills. I looked on in envy at the snowboarders - I snowboarded for 20 years but started skiing a couple of years back. I love skiing now but just occasionally on these optimal days I yearn for the board again! Daughter loves skiing and boarding but she's considerably better at skiing and I can't imagine the parental pain of taking her out on a board in such deep snow! She's self-sufficient in powder on skis which makes a big difference.

We were having a blast. After my next bad for the day (leaving my backpack in the lunch venue and having to return later to get it) the good news filtered through about my phone being found which lifted spirits even more. Despite the main trails being tracked the snow was still skiing brilliantly and forming ramps we could launch off everywhere. There were still plenty of stashes to be found to the sides of the runs too.

Exhausted, we returned home. Legs burning so much we didn't leave the lodge and we got an early dinner a celebratory chu-hi (sprite-based for the 6 year old! ) and collapsed in bed.

Comfortably our best day's skiing in Japan ever. Praise be!

M_G, Melskius, skidazza and 3 others like this.
  4. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This is why you don't give yourself a hangover when there's snow falling (or will fall) ;)

5. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

We went to Ikenotaira today. We'd been keen to try this out despite suggestions that it wasn't that steep and was a bit limited. However we got it on a good day with bluebird skies and snow still in great condition. We had a great time with a bit of everything.

There were still heaps of powder stashes everywhere although interestingly we were riding on top of the powder rather than through it today.

There are some decent tree runs at Ikenotaira and very little competition for them the day we were there. Definitely still needs more snow in the trees though. It's very skiable but those damn bamboo shoots swatting you all the time!

The groomers were fun and as a bonus had heaps of rollers and ramps you could hit off. They stayed in pretty good condition all day.

And whilst the park was disappointingly small it still provided some fun for my daughter. The park was dominated by rails with only one box (which you had to hike up to!) and a small jump. We'd read good things about the park and halfpipe but I guess, at least for the latter, there presumably hadn't been enough snow.

Overall we liked the resort. The top runs were steep enough and the tree skiing was fun. The views were great too. It was cash only everywhere and signs were almost all in Japanese only but this just added to the charm. It was free for my daughter to ski as well (as was Suginohara), with only Akakura charging for her to ski so far - more than 4,000 yen so quite a big difference. Hats off to Suginohara and Ikenotaira in this regard!

We finished the day with a delicious udon dinner and a visit to the crepe place with the most ridiculously extensive menu in the history of crepe shops. I was particularly taken by the 'crepe of the extreme popularity' . It was delicious and I could see why it was so popular.

Rain tomorrow so the party may be over. But we've certainly enjoyed the party so far.

#105 blueandwhite, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  6. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

He’s expensive because he is the best crepes in the village. We have not tried the gelatine cheese that is good for women. Please try and revert back to us. :D

skidazza likes this.
  7. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Yes, we estimated there was 500 yen changing hands over his counter every 60 seconds. Works out to a decent hourly rate! They were delicious mind. Except the tuna salad crepe maybe...

elSpike likes this.
  8. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Has to make all his money for the year in a 2 month window.

blueandwhite and elSpike like this.
  9. elSpike

This ruins the vision of the entire village gathering for crepe tuesdays in summer and autumn.

10. M_G

Outside of winter you get three restaurants sometimes open - the curry place, the Italian and maybe the noodle place (Miyoshi). Often only the curry place. Akakura is a dead zone for 9 months of the year.

11. M_G

The crepe guy was thinking of setting up in Falls or Thredbo each winter. Helped him do some leg work but it came to nought. Not sure how serious he was.

12. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Suginohara in the rain. Doesn't sound that appealing off the bat but was actually another fun day. The rain that had threatened our trip from several weeks out finally hit. With a light drizzle falling outside we agreed to try out Suginohara for a half day and scurry home early if it was too wet.

As it happened we needn't have worried. The rain was relatively light and it was snowing from about 1700m. As a Buller season ticket holder this was like a regular day in the office! There was even 5cm of that creamy, slightly soggy BullerPow waiting for us at the top of the Mitahara quad.

Before we were to be allowed access to that bounty at 930am we lapped the groomers from top to bottom of the gondola. Soft, fresh groomed tracks, what's not to like...

When the top area opened we piled up and skied the three courses off the top. Fun for the most part but turning very grabby near the transition between snow and rain.

That done we focused on the terrain park for a while which had appeared like magic from beneath the 50cm of pow that had concealed it on our last visit. Crazy high number of rails again but at least a few boxes as well. Have banned daughter from rails for now but she was uber keen to try the big rainbow box. Probably want to put in an extra speed check next time cupcake.

With the track softening and the quad lift by the terrain park blown up and out of action we retreated to the yellow cafe for lunch and then high-tailed it home for onsen and packing. Tomorrow we plan a half day, probably Ikenotaira, and then the bus to Madarao.

All in all a pretty decent day considering I'd written it off as a non-ski-day originally. We're certainly not out of the woods yet for rain but we can but hope that it holds off.

13. hotsaki

I think the kebab guy works in Oz in the winter

elSpike likes this.
  14. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

He would bloody rake it in at Buller. Donut man at Buller needs the competition to keep him honest!

willsnow likes this.
  15. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

Well, first trip to Myoko and loved the place. In a 'low snow' year it still skied amazingly well. Well, up until the last day, anyway. ACL/MCL tear combo on Hotel A Kanko course, and a shed load of problems now cascade on my immediate future. Colorado trip cancelled, O/S work relocation delayed, and moving house just got a whole lot harder. We will leave the D.I.V.O.R.C.E out of it I guess. Lots of phone calls to insurers and airlines negotiating seats that fit this brace. I got extremely lucky with some expert help on hand in my lodge, but yep that's the way it goes. Well, pop, anyway. Moguls, I'm done with you.

But Myoko I will be back.

M_G, mannyk, usedtacould and 2 others like this.
  16. 2ESki

2ESki Addicted

Good luck with all that , I snapped the acl and tore the miniscus at Myoko :( , that reminds me I should do my exercises :whistle:

ponyrider likes this.
  17. elSpike

Much like referring to the wet stuff as clear snow, I hear by suggest we start calling these things as “I extended my knee articulation” or something equally euphemistic.

no snapping and tearing and breaking needed!

2ESki likes this.
  18. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Not quite the Chinese new year mayhem I was fretting about in Madarao...

skivet, usedtacould, LDJ and 2 others like this.
  19. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

And this afternoon, equally packed on the pistes...

I mean the snow was pretty ordinary, but still, it wasn't THAT bad!

20. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Nice shot across to Myoko from Tangram. I like that you can pick out all the runs you've done at the Myoko resorts from as far away as Mt Madarao!

Kimski, M_G, hotsaki and 2 others like this.
  21. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

8 degrees in Akakan when we came back in after lunch. Not even any snow melt, just baking asphalt and confused looking people wandering around...you could almost see the snow that is there slowly collapsing...:cry::cry:

22. hotsaki

I guess it cant get any worse.Can it?

23. ratherb@thesnow

ratherb@thesnow Hard Yards

Arrived home today after 10 fundays in Myoko and a short look around at Nozawa Onsen, tried out the GoproMax this trip, pretty happy with the results

24. stormkite2000

stormkite2000 One of Us

25. Sandy

Sorry, but this evaluation is not quite right.
    Deep lows DO NOT fuel the lake/sea effect.

26. cchang1110

cchang1110 Hard Yards

Hello
    Long time reader (which has helped me planned 3 Japan trips - so many thanks to many of you)

But is anyone out at Madarao? I'm hoping to day trip over from Myoko tomorrow (30/01) but I heard only 2 runs were open today? Is that right? I'm happy to snowboard some decent runs even if it's patchy down low. Any run is a good run.

Got some pre-purchased passes that I need to use before I head to Shiga.

27. ratherb@thesnow

ratherb@thesnow Hard Yards

Last week in Myoko

usedtacould likes this.
  28. stormkite2000

stormkite2000 One of Us

Rob's vid on sea effect snow.

29. Sandy

Yes, you've posted one of his videos before maybe 4-5 years ago, but the main point in that video, is that Rob DOES NOT mention this: "If you don’t have deep jet streams to fuel deep lows then you don’t get the big sea effect snow makers in to the mountains of Japan" because it's not correct.

30. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

For the guys going to Myoko looking for a relaxed bevy, a friend of mine Kevin, from the very popular Kevin's Bar in Karuizawa, has opened up a nice place in the Lime Resort. He is a super friendly guy and one of the best bar men I have met. Pop in and say hi, grab a drink and settle in for a good time.

31. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Nope, that was rock bottom. Awesome last two days with lots of fresh :)

32. usedtacould

usedtacould Hard Yards

@hotsaki anything to report Myoko wise?

33. Sandy

Sekiyama has had 28cm in the last 5 hours, and it's only 350m.
    Myoko has probably had more

Hyst and usedtacould like this.
  34. argento

argento Hard Yards

Started snowing in akakura kanko at about 1pm or so and has continued non stop since, picking up intensity. Probably around the 50cm mark since

35. hotsaki

Pretty well as Argento said.Had a fantastic time after lunch.Just so much better on fresh as we all know.Even my mate Lepersan who is normally very laid back was raving.

36. Sandy

Sekiyama (350m) has had 51cm since 1pm.

Hyst likes this.
  37. M_G

130cm fresh at Seki Onsen as of this morning

Attached Files:

Neoh JH and Hyst like this.
  38. usedtacould

usedtacould Hard Yards

Communication going OK? I heard you had a none English speaker with you this trip...........

39. hotsaki

True .Spanish speaking but his +1 taught him English the night before he arrived

usedtacould and argento like this.
  40. Brendan Shanahan

Brendan Shanahan Hard Yards

I normally wouldn't post something like this in a general forum as I worry it comes off as a bit condescending, but here goes.

A warning to anyone in the Madarao area (Nagano resorts) about the backcountry snowpack at the moment. We dug a few snow pits on the backside of Madarao / Tangram today after seeing some movement yesterday and had some pretty concerning results on the NW aspect which I suspect is a result of the wind loading in the last storm. More detail on my blog below for those who are interested.

Note: I am far from an expert on this subject, I am just sharing my observations as they were significant enough to prevent me and my group from riding this face.

https://professionaljerry.com/snow-report-10th-feb-2020/

Lucky Pete likes this.
  41. hotsaki

Just heard reports of a death in Tangram and another in Shiga from a mate in Darwin!!!But no details as yet.This is not good.

42. Sandy

Search another thread. Death in Tangram due to suffocation in very deep snow.

Paradox likes this.
  43. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Not good, do we have any details?

44. Sandy

Paradox likes this.
  45. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Thanks! All info is useful. Appeared to be a snowed over small crown on one of Togari runs up top today (It was closed).

Brendan Shanahan likes this.
  46. Brendan Shanahan

Brendan Shanahan Hard Yards

I have 2 x single day Madarao Area lift ticket coupons for sale. ¥3100 each (about $42 AUD)

These tickets cost ¥5000 at the ticket window, so a decent ¥1900 discount. I can email them to the purchaser, just send me DM if interested. You just take the voucher to the ticket window and exchange it for a day pass.

47. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

What's happening in Myoko? Spate of equipment thefts from inside hotels. Suss people about! Bogans doing bogan stuff I've heard.

elSpike likes this.
  48. M_G

Thefts, fights, glassings, grafitti and the usual disorderly bogan behaviour.

Proverbs 6:27

Saw this eventuality coming years back but no-one wanted to listen. All kinds of hand wringing going on now. Reap what you sow. I've said all the bars need to voluntarily put RAS into place.

49. M_G

But I hear you have speeding in your street. ;)

Yep!

This is why people die in Japanese resorts. Zero care.

50. M_G

This morning in Akakan. 30cm reported but I'm told it's actually 40-50cm.

Hyst and Brendan Shanahan like this.