Resource The big Myoko/Madarao/Arai thread - 2021/22/23

Jacksong

One of Us
Oct 2, 2018
Pffftt....
I'm there right now. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that the Snow Japan "data" is taken way out in the valley near the train station

I am not sure what you are talking about sorry.

Back on topic.

It's crazy how much snow Myoko region gets every season. There is a person there who measures every day outside their house on Snow Japan report which is always interesting. Most of us know it snows a lot in Myoko most years. Maybe someone new to the forum might not know.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
I am not sure what you are talking about sorry.

Back on topic.

It's crazy how much snow Myoko region gets every season. There is a person there who measures every day outside their house on Snow Japan report which is always interesting. Most of us know it snows a lot in Myoko most years. Maybe someone new to the forum might not know.
Purely anecdotal but over the years I've looked out the door, or more recently on the webcams, and seen people skiing top to bottom at Myoko whilst friends in Hakuba complain about limited cover lower down.

I still look at the Myoko base and recent snowfall figures (as reported by the resorts) just about every day. The snowfall figure on SJ is taken at a location well down from the bottom of Akakura Kanko so it's not the same as the resorts. Also you can get a lot more snow at Akakura Onsen and Suginohara can miss out (or vice versa) depending on the weather patterns.

Reactions: Paradox

Nemps20

Hard Yards
Jul 27, 2021
Sydney
Anyway back on topic, the snow looks amazing through Niigata & Nagano areas from what I've seen. Still not the most from what I understand??

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Anyway back on topic, the snow looks amazing through Niigata & Nagano areas from what I've seen. Still not the most from what I understand??
Ah the old where in Japan gets the most snow. The Niseko promotion brigade on here will mindlessly tell you everything at Niseko is better than everywhere else. But look at the figures and Mt Myoko hold it own and many other resorts in Niigata and Nagano have comparable snowfalls.

The thing I like about Nagano/Niigata is the sunny days.

The year my mogul skier competed in Japan I was talking to one of the Japanese coaches. I made a comment about Australians telling me how Niseko got more and better snow than anywhere else in Japan. With a dead straight face he said "They may think that."

Last edited:

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
The lodge was like this the first year we owned it. Australia day visit to ski turned into snow moving instead.
272154371_766938098042241_4415263218989121477_n.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I was curious, so I looked at Arai's website yesterday, and it was saying the snowdepth = 681cm. For Arai, 500cm is kind of normal, but nearly 7m?. It might be the biggest since Arai re-opened about 5? years ago. Some ski resorts couldn't run lifts because of too much of snow (lift stations were buried and it took time to clear snow)

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I was curious, so I looked at Arai's website yesterday, and it was saying the snowdepth = 681cm. For Arai, 500cm is kind of normal, but nearly 7m?. It might be the biggest since Arai re-opened about 5? years ago. Some ski resorts couldn't run lifts because of too much of snow (lift stations were buried and it took time to clear snow)
Definitely the most snow since they re-opened

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
A couple are Miyuki Snowsports (yes, they seem to not care anymore), one is Madarao Kanko Hotel at the nd of the resort and the other two are of a lodge (I presume closed) across the road from Pension Picnic (ペンション ピクニック)

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I am back in Japan and have had time to check my lodges. I think I have been incredibly lucky. Chalet Myoko has no damage from last wither. The lower windows you can see are on the 2nd floor. The snow from the ground joined the snow on the roof to the right of the picture. Once there was about 3 metres of snow it would slide off the roof past my car park and onto the road. I am grateful to my neighbours for just getting on with keeping the street clear rather than worrying about where the snow came from.

Email MML-88.jpg

Chalet Madarao has had more damage but luckily nothing major. My poor Delica is a write off. I have 3 broken windows, some broken eaves, some roof damage above some of the broken eaves, some broken rafters on my shed, some burst pex pipe inside, some damaged taps and 3 damaged water valves. Luckily the water was turned off so there is very limited water damage inside. Not sure how my taps were damaged when there was no water in them but...all trivial in the scheme of things. Next door is going to be demolished.

Will post more photos of the damage as I drive around and see stuff. Sometimes you can have driven by places several times before you realise something has happened.

Email MML-89.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
An update on transport options for next season.
For those planning to use Chuo Taxi to travel from Tokyo airports or Nagano they no longer service Myoko.
Myoko Shuttle (not the Mt. Myoko resort shuttle) may be running but nothing definite.
Nagano Snow Shuttle will be running if the government opens up but have delayed taking bookings.
A private group shuttle is available which would be cost effective for larger groups (8+)
Updating info here as I find out more.

BigWaveDave

Addicted
Jun 7, 2010
Sunshine Coast
www.surfshots.com.au
After having done Hakuba (2016/17) and Shiga Kogen (Jan/Feb 2020) we are now planning a trip to Myoko during mid-late Jan 2023. Part of the reason for choosing Myoko is that I understand there's slightly more of a 'village' and although we are not there to party, we would like to be able to easily walk to restaurants and cafes etc and also the local lifts in the morning (I'm aware it's a valley and buses will be required to get to other resorts). I've been told that staying in Akakura Onsen is a must, but having not been there before I'm not sure of the best accom options. We are a family of 4 (all experienced skiers/boarders) with kids aged 22 and 17 (yes they are still tagging along on family holidays!) Ideally western rooms with bathroom but also open to comfy tatami rooms, a nice onsen is a bonus but not vital. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions in the next 6 months but for now any tips on suitable accom would be welcomed. Thanks in advance..Dave

Reactions: M_G

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
After having done Hakuba (2016/17) and Shiga Kogen (Jan/Feb 2020) we are now planning a trip to Myoko during mid-late Jan 2023. Part of the reason for choosing Myoko is that I understand there's slightly more of a 'village' and although we are not there to party, we would like to be able to easily walk to restaurants and cafes etc and also the local lifts in the morning (I'm aware it's a valley and buses will be required to get to other resorts). I've been told that staying in Akakura Onsen is a must, but having not been there before I'm not sure of the best accom options. We are a family of 4 (all experienced skiers/boarders) with kids aged 22 and 17 (yes they are still tagging along on family holidays!) Ideally western rooms with bathroom but also open to comfy tatami rooms, a nice onsen is a bonus but not vital. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions in the next 6 months but for now any tips on suitable accom would be welcomed. Thanks in advance..Dave
Western rooms with ensuite are somewhat limited in Akakura TBH. If you PM me with your budget I can let you know some options.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using