Resource The big Myoko/Madarao/Arai thread - 2021/22

Jacksong

One of Us
Oct 2, 2018
Pffftt....
I'm there right now. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that the Snow Japan "data" is taken way out in the valley near the train station

I am not sure what you are talking about sorry.

Back on topic.

It's crazy how much snow Myoko region gets every season. There is a person there who measures every day outside their house on Snow Japan report which is always interesting. Most of us know it snows a lot in Myoko most years. Maybe someone new to the forum might not know.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
I am not sure what you are talking about sorry.

Back on topic.

It's crazy how much snow Myoko region gets every season. There is a person there who measures every day outside their house on Snow Japan report which is always interesting. Most of us know it snows a lot in Myoko most years. Maybe someone new to the forum might not know.
Purely anecdotal but over the years I've looked out the door, or more recently on the webcams, and seen people skiing top to bottom at Myoko whilst friends in Hakuba complain about limited cover lower down.

I still look at the Myoko base and recent snowfall figures (as reported by the resorts) just about every day. The snowfall figure on SJ is taken at a location well down from the bottom of Akakura Kanko so it's not the same as the resorts. Also you can get a lot more snow at Akakura Onsen and Suginohara can miss out (or vice versa) depending on the weather patterns.

Reactions: Paradox

Nemps20

Early Days
Jul 27, 2021
Sydney
Anyway back on topic, the snow looks amazing through Niigata & Nagano areas from what I've seen. Still not the most from what I understand??

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Anyway back on topic, the snow looks amazing through Niigata & Nagano areas from what I've seen. Still not the most from what I understand??
Ah the old where in Japan gets the most snow. The Niseko promotion brigade on here will mindlessly tell you everything at Niseko is better than everywhere else. But look at the figures and Mt Myoko hold it own and many other resorts in Niigata and Nagano have comparable snowfalls.

The thing I like about Nagano/Niigata is the sunny days.

The year my mogul skier competed in Japan I was talking to one of the Japanese coaches. I made a comment about Australians telling me how Niseko got more and better snow than anywhere else in Japan. With a day straight face he said "They may think that."

• Sad
Reactions: Hyst

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
The lodge was like this the first year we owned it. Australia day visit to ski turned into snow moving instead.
272154371_766938098042241_4415263218989121477_n.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I was curious, so I looked at Arai's website yesterday, and it was saying the snowdepth = 681cm. For Arai, 500cm is kind of normal, but nearly 7m?. It might be the biggest since Arai re-opened about 5? years ago. Some ski resorts couldn't run lifts because of too much of snow (lift stations were buried and it took time to clear snow)

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I was curious, so I looked at Arai's website yesterday, and it was saying the snowdepth = 681cm. For Arai, 500cm is kind of normal, but nearly 7m?. It might be the biggest since Arai re-opened about 5? years ago. Some ski resorts couldn't run lifts because of too much of snow (lift stations were buried and it took time to clear snow)
Definitely the most snow since they re-opened

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
A couple are Miyuki Snowsports (yes, they seem to not care anymore), one is Madarao Kanko Hotel at the nd of the resort and the other two are of a lodge (I presume closed) across the road from Pension Picnic (ペンション ピクニック)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass