1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

The big Myoko/Madarao thread - 2016/17

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M_G, May 16, 2016.

1. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Or you could spend that time in Tokyo ski shop area, and head to Nagano about 2pm.

Dumph likes this.
  2. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

If not going to Tokyo, better off going to Joetsu. There's a good lot of ski shops close together such Victoria, Xebio, Second Street and others. About 15 minutes walk from Kasugayama Station.

http://myokokogen.net/myoko-tours/

Dumph likes this.
  3. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I'm reading a local journal now and it says a new onsen complex facility, a new retail building, a new hotel, etc will be built in front of Joetsumyoko station. You feel the district around the new Shinkansen station is growing?.

4. M_G

Further secondary developments like these are always inevitable when you have a major infrastructure undertaking. To leave something like a major shinkansen station out in the middle of nowhere would be rather odd. It could well be that we see a major shopping development sprout up there soon too I imagine.

Do you have a link Ramenman? Is it Joetsu Times?

5. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

And a pachinko

6. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I read them in two different places. One of them is in Toyo-Keizai. This article is about how Hokuriku shinkansen effects to local economy, and it mentions Juetsumyoko station district too(onsen facility, retail complex, a major chained brand hotel, etc will be built).
    http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/141919

7. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Pachinko is ugly:emoji_alien:
    [​IMG]

dr80, Hyst and Froff Life like this.
  8. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The area around the Joetsu-Myoko shinkansen station has already changed a lot. There is a main road that does not exist on my Delica's navi system, a large Komeri (super or power is a point of contention in my lodge), a big Narus, a great Sushi train place etc etc. So far as I know none of these were there a couple of years ago.

9. argento

argento Hard Yards

sorry for the ignorance but if travelling via train to Joetsumyoko can one now go either through Nagano or Kanazawa when leaving from Ueno?

10. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

#160 Zimboo, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  11. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

12. skichanger

Well you probably could but via Kanazawa would be the long way round. You go via Nagano. Kanazawa is the end of the line.

Last trip up here my mogul skier was on the 2nd last train of the day. It was a super express with less stops than other trains. So he was thinking Nagano is about the 4th stop so I can sleep through the first 3. Woke up as they were approaching Toyama. :headbang: No trains back that night so he slept in a waiting room at Toyama and caught the first train back in the morning.

13. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Joetsu-Myoko is a station on the Hokuriku line.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/routemaps/hokurikushinkansen.html

So you would arrive at Joetsu-Myoko, before you arrived at Kanazawa (end of line). Assuming you are coming from Ueno (in Tokyo).

14. M_G

On top of Hiuchi, all covered in snow...

[​IMG]

Froff Life, Hyst and Dumph like this.
  15. skichanger

Last night was cold enough to run the heating so I am not surprised.

Woohoo mixed with panic here.

16. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

National highway near Daisatsuzan yesterday. (And no comments on the car please - my daughter made a small trip- - camping:headbang:)

Ramenman likes this.
  17. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

According to Joetsu Times, an onsen complex building is in B and a retail complex building is in C.
    [​IMG]

#167 Ramenman, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    M_G likes this.
  18. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

19. skichanger

Wow! Is that from a calendar? Would love more details.

20. blowfin

It's a series of postcards for each month of the year, they're signed with the artist name "Miyazaki.M". I saw them in one of the shops in Myoko Kogen and couldn't resist, one day I might even frame them up together. :p If you can glean any information from the packaging I'm very interested to hear what it says, reading Japanese isn't one of my strong points...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. skichanger

I can ask around in my travels. Where was the shop? In Akakura or actually down in Myoko Kogen?

They are exactly the sort of thing I would love to have for guests. Something more genuine than the mass produced stuff in most of the shops.

22. RunDLC

RunDLC Hard Yards

The artists name is Miyazaki Michio (pretty sure that's the reading). Born locally in Takada in 1935. The bio mentions a range of exhibitions participated in, including 20 solo shows, awards etc. A google search for the name in Japanese shows the occasional local exhibition (most recently at the Arai michi no eki in October). On the edge of my reading ability but think that's correct.

blowfin likes this.
  23. skichanger

Thanks. This will help me find more info. I am already talking to a local photographer for some postcards and these would be a great thing to make available to people.

24. M_G

Most of those were painted at Imori-ike (Imori Pond) near Ikenotaira on the way to Suginohara. Very popular place for painters. Will always find a few with their easels there most weekends, esp. around autumn.

There's an address on Hon-machi (6-1-23) - the main shopping street of Takada. Maybe there's a shop or gallery there.

If you go into the Wakui Hotel, the elderly mother is a painter of some renown and they have a lot of her paintings displayed and postcards/prints for sale.
    http://www.akakura.gr.jp/wakui/

blowfin likes this.
  25. blowfin

Ah yep, my bad, not Myoko Kogen. It was from one of the shops on the main main strip in Akakura, 2013 Season.

26. M_G

Be sure to check the Myoko webcams this morning. With precipitation and a rapidly falling freezing level you should see snow up top.

[​IMG]

27. skichanger

That's ok. Most people call Akakura Myoko and don't understand that Myoko is actually a city and Akakura is effectively a suburb.

28. M_G

And a distant 'suburb' at that. Around 30 minutes drive to City Hall. Can't get much further away.

This morning's view from down lower

[​IMG]

Kimski, peteski, blowfin and 2 others like this.
  29. RunDLC

RunDLC Hard Yards

What a beautiful mountain :) Heading up this weekend for some hiking and onsen time-can't wait!

30. skichanger

The view from Chalet Madarao yesterday when I got there. Would have been much better earlier.

[​IMG]

D64133 likes this.
  31. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hi @skichanger,
    what's the name of the run or chair that is in your photo. Just trying to place where you are in the resort..

32. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

I'm guessing the Super Quad in the middle-left of picture?

hardbooter likes this.
  33. skichanger

Sorry no idea what any of the runs are called yet. Put Chalet Madarao in google maps. We are just beside the chair lifts running back up to the hotel.

They cut all the grass just down below us yesterday to make the beginner trail from my place to the slopes.

34. Dumph

Dumph Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Went there for a day last winter, lots of fun. From the map the runs look like Champion/Giant?

35. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Yeah, with Champion to the left and Giant down the centre. The shot is of the upper portion of the runs. Just gets the split to Carving at the bottom of the shot.

36. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Can anyone recommend a good Back/Sidecountry guide for the Myoko area? We have a group going for 2 weeks early Feb, with a few days at Madarao and remainder based at Akakan.

Most of the crew are mid to high intermediates with good Japan experience, including Myoko. A few of us want to get out of bounds there this trip, but would want an experienced guide.

37. skichanger

Ask you accommodation. Or pm me if you want me put you in touch with some people.

38. RunDLC

RunDLC Hard Yards

I think it would be be good to see options listed here. I've said it elsewhere, but ask your guide about their qualifications etc and make sure expectations are matched. Figure out if you want to maximise riding powder, or if this is more about getting out in the mountains and away from the crowds.

Bill Ross of Dancing Snow is the only option for actual backcountry as far as I know.

Others will likely offer more of a lift accessed service skiing trees closer to the resort. I'm not sure exactly where they will take you and whether it will include backcountry. Itadaki tours would be an example.They are an energetic bunch of local skiers and snowboarders and lots of fun. Atsushi Yamada /Happy Snow tours also does this kind of half day resort based tour.

39. skichanger

Itadaki tours at Myoko Kogen, Aki Kitamura at Madarao and the Cat Skiing that happens about an hour way from Myoko Kogen were the people I had in mind. We can arrange tours with them for our guests, which is why I suggested they ask their accommodation. I assume most places can do the same .All of these are independent operators so you would need to decide if you were happy with them for yourself.

At one stage Bill Ross posted on here as well. Have not seen him on here for a few years though.

I completely agree that it is important to distinguish between truly going back country and riding as much lifted powder as possible. But people do need to be aware that there are risks even near or within the resort boundaries. Every so often we come across promos for Myoko Kogen where people are doing really dumb things.

40. skichanger

We have snow at Chalet Myoko this morning. The view from my bedroom window:And just heard the first snow of the season sliding of the roof. Bit worried about what Madarao will be like when I get there this morning. And time to put the winter tyres on.
    [​IMG]

D64133 and Froff Life like this.
  41. Sandy

Very early!!! :D

42. skichanger

And Madarao
    [​IMG]

Kimski and Ramenman like this.
  43. Sandy

Hardly surprising at 1100-1200m :D

44. skichanger

Yeah I think I need to go to garage on the way this morning to change to my winter wheels.

45. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

@RunDLC and @skichanger, Thanks for the info, exactly what I was after. I am aware the accommodation can help but really I would rate the info provided here much higher. At this stage we would be up for probably both lift accessed side country and possibly some Cat Skiing too....

Skichanger we have gone with the accommodation the group has been happy with before, and it has been booked for some time, but I will definitely be heading over to check out at least your new Madarao digs this trip...

46. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

47. skichanger

Of course stay with the place you are happy with. Not trying to get you to change that. :axe: if someone did that to me and it has happened. I try to walk an acceptable line between providing information and touting for business.

If you go to Madarao definitely drop in. Let me know in advance and you can probably park outside. There is better access than from the car parks. Stay for dinner and review our restaurant.

Re the cat skiing, they use us for bookings from English speakers. So anyone else interested drop me a line with numbers and dates. They open for bookings very soon and can book out for weekends quickly. There will be a few details to sort but but well worth the effort.

BrewerGrrrrrl likes this.
  48. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Yeah, poor comment on my part from that respect. There is no plans to change our Mt Myoko accommodation, and I do not feel that you were trying to push that.... I really meant to impart an interest in Madarao. We have not been there before and are locked in at the big hotel this trip but will have an interest in checking out other options for the future. Your reno thread also gives us all a bit of investment in your efforts, so we have to come and visit.... :D

49. skichanger

All good. Just a little thin skinned sometimes.

My renos are moving slowly atm. Need a few updates on the lots of stuff that we have done though.

50. RunDLC

RunDLC Hard Yards

Does this mean they exclusively use you? They've got a pretty extensive English website and have been happy for direct contact in the past?