The big Myoko/Madarao thread - 2016/17

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Sorry, 'The Area formerly known as Car Park'

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:8a78a1b15fc0492eb113bcd3ff5027d8-1AyYTcHVAh4a72cd035c2043f7da-648_634x422.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
We are staying at Madaro one week and Myoko another week from 8th December.

Are crowds likely on weekends? If so, should we head to Cupid or Charmant? How far are they from Madarao/myoko? We have no problem hiring a car if need be

Or are there other small resorts worth checking out on weekends?

Thanks

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014

Are crowds likely on weekends? If so, should we head to Cupid or Charmant? How far are they from Madarao/myoko? We have no problem hiring a car if need be

Thanks
You talking next year - 8th December?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia

Thanks
Its now Jan 17???

geeoff

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2013
Cronulla, NSW
So as National Foundation day is not a long weekend, any reason to expect more people travelling on train from Tokyo to Nagano on that Saturday (11/2)? Thanks

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
So as National Foundation day is not a long weekend, any reason to expect more people travelling on train from Tokyo to Nagano on that Saturday (11/2)? Thanks
As someone who has done that run only a few times but has temped fate with weekends, weekdays, national holidays..etc, I've found that they always just seem to accommodate the number of passengers and manage accordingly. Such is Japan.

Paradox

Addicted
Sep 21, 2016
Guys, I am picking up a Serano or similar from IIyama week after next and want to get some racks to put on the roof. There does not seem to be a Red Hat in Iiyama, any other ideas on a place there that may have them?

Paradox

Addicted
Sep 21, 2016
Pick it up in Nagano instead?

Normally would be a good option but we are doing a few days at Madarao first then i'll bus into iiyama to pick it up, and then back to Madarao to pick up crew and gear and head to Akakan. Going back into Nagano is kind of out of the way so was hoping to find a solution in iiyama.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Paradox

Addicted
Sep 21, 2016
Another option would be if anyone in Myoko area wants to grab some for me between now and then I would cover the cost and then also be happy to leave them with you at the end of the trip. Its not as though I can take them with me...

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
You may even get a view of the sunrise if you are lucky

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    542.8 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: M_G

2nd_String_QB

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
Currently bucketing down in Akakura. I walked from the hotel to ski school at 4pm and came back looking like a snowman. If this continues all night tomorrow will be another fantastic day. I'm tempted to even get out for a nighta. We could get 10cm or so by 8pm at this rate.

2nd_String_QB

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
It stopped early evening and must've picked up sometime during the night. At a conservative guess I'd say 30-40cms overnight. It's up to the top of car tyres in the street below. Gonna be a great day!

argento

Addicted
Jul 30, 2012
As someone who has done that run only a few times but has temped fate with weekends, weekdays, national holidays..etc, I've found that they always just seem to accommodate the number of passengers and manage accordingly. Such is Japan.

so it not being a long weekend you still advise to book seats?

Paradox

Addicted
Sep 21, 2016
Half way through the season and the area has had had more snow than last years total. :)

5 days......

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
so it not being a long weekend you still advise to book seats?
Well I don't know it well enough to advise you but as I mentioned above I've been lucky that I could just simply hop on the next available train. The problem with booking train tickets is if your airline mucks you around. And also if you nail Japan customs, you don't wanna be sitting around on a platform waiting hours for your train.

Draizuh

One of Us
Jul 29, 2012
Wakatipu
www.splitboardnz.com
Was pretty low base wise for my trip to myoko compared to last time i was there, i was however there 3 weeks earlier than last time and it did snow about 1m while i was there.. Less scandies this time too, except the ones that were there seemed to enjoy following you. Lucky they didnt poach my lines..

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia
Well I don't know it well enough to advise you but as I mentioned above I've been lucky that I could just simply hop on the next available train. The problem with booking train tickets is if your airline mucks you around. And also if you nail Japan customs, you don't wanna be sitting around on a platform waiting hours for your train.
I am going to book to Nagano via Tokyo station at Narita airport.Surely I cant stuff that up?I hope not to see Argento at the station as he flies in a day before me!

Reactions: D64133 and JoeKing

kaegee

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Freshwater
When we caught the train to Myoko ten days ago it had to stop the station before. Too much snow .,. .. They ferried the passengers in van cabs to Myoko station only. .We three had our own .The driver punched the receipt 5300 .No charge..Here's the Myoko station after taxi and where it stopped

Last edited:

croanster

Hard Yards
May 25, 2016
Newcastle
Just a quick trip report now that we're back in Aus. First up thanks so much to the guys at Chalet Myoko for all your help! Really appreciate the lifts into town, to the resorts each morning, from the wrong train station after the train couldn't get through to Myoko due to too much snow!! You guys are great!!

We had an awesome week skiing Myoko. The weather gods were unbelievable as well. Massive snow days and a couple of bluebird to finish up. We lucked out there. Our favourite resort was Suginohara which seems to have something for everyone. Akakan was great also although got tracked out very quickly. We were surprised at the number of Aussies. That didn't bother us though - pre skiing sightseeing in Yamanouchi and Shibu Onsen etc satisfied the need for a taste of "traditional" Japan.
Akakura Onsen village is a cool little place with plenty of choices to eat etc and the best crepes I've ever eaten!

All in all, a great week in Myoko and another Japanese resort ticked off the list! Have to start planning next year now :)

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Great report, Id love to hear more about Yamanouchi and Shibu Onsen. Were are looking for some day trips.. be there next week..cheers

Reactions: hotsaki

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
IMG_1944.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1918.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG

I've referenced the pics above. #1 is the lunch options at Suginohara. #2 is at Madarao following the 2-3m of snow in a week. #3 is at the base of Seki Onsen #4 is Madarao - one of the closed lifts. Thought it made a good pic.

Just returned from 2 weeks in Myoko and Hakuba. Having only ever ridden the Hokkaido resorts Myoko and Hakuba were both amazing for different reasons. Myoko Kogen was a magical place and as we arrived on Monday 16th Jan the timing was perfect – stayed in Akakura, rode Madarao Onsen, Seki Onsen and Suginohara. Yes I know, I didn’t even visit the main resorts of Myoko – I figured I’ll return. Favourite resort was Sugi with Madarao a close second. When I say Madarao, I’m referring specifically to Tangram Circus. What a hidden gem the trees are there (near the Apricot area). Wow. Actually preferred it over Madarao which tracked out much quicker, but in saying that we didn’t get over to Madarao until lunch.

Seki Onsen also had some amazing little tree areas but it was a very basic little resort with 2 lifts. Great little village though which feels a little deserted. Definitely worth a visit from Myoko but I probably wouldn’t stay there. Too quiet. This has its plus and minuses. Hard to smash out much vertical but the tree runs had a decent pitch and were very nicely spaced. Didn’t track out too quickly as I literally only counted about 30-50 people on the mountain in total. We were there on a whiteout day so this really influenced my experience. Couldn’t really see the bottom half of the resort so riding blind between the gullies and the lift is not fun. When the top lift opened at lunch this meant some quality untracked. Its easy to visit via the inclusive day shuttle for 5500 yen including lifts, transfer and a quality lunch. I think its one of the snowiest places in Japan and I can certainly believe that.

Suginohara was a pleasant little surprise after spending the previous day at Seki. Great gondola that accessed most of the mountain. Amazing vertical which is what the mountain is famous for but there was also some great little tree sections towards the top of the mountain. Unfortunately the top lift didn’t open while I was there which I know was tantalisingly close. They were still digging it out. Really loved the long, thigh burning cruisers of this resort. I’ll be back.

Attachments

• IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

kaegee

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Freshwater
Hi @Kash We were there same time . Myoko 15 Hakuba 20th . Had lunch in the middle place at Sug. on the foggy day . Disappointingly didn't get to Tangram etc . The 7 10 shuttle was a bridge too far for +1 and D12 . Had a great day at Norikura / Cortina . Also liked the back of Iwatake. Will be back .

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Favourite resort was Sugi with Madarao a close second. When I say Madarao, I’m referring specifically to Tangram Circus. What a hidden gem the trees are there (near the Apricot area). Wow. Actually preferred it over Madarao which tracked out much quicker, but in saying that we didn’t get over to Madarao until lunch.
Heh heh!!! ;)
Q. Did you see the skull and crossbones? ;)

Which area do you mean when you say "Apricot"? There's no designated area at Tangram with that name.... or do you mean around Jackdownhill?

Reactions: Kash

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Heh heh!!! ;)
Q. Did you see the skull and crossbones? ;)

Which area do you mean when you say "Apricot"? There's no designated area at Tangram with that name.... or do you mean around Jackdownhill?

Hi Sandy, I might have got the name wrong. Its the tasty looking tree area to the left as you go up Tangram lift number 1. Nicely spaced trees, very steep and an easy exit. Amazing stuff. Yes we saw the skull and crossbones. Glad it was there as the area was largely untouched all day and you can spot your line on the lift on the way up. Ski patrol weren't bothered by us or the couple of others entering. Great little resort.

Reactions: Sandy

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Hi Sandy, I might have got the name wrong. Its the tasty looking tree area to the left as you go up Tangram lift number 1. Nicely spaced trees, very steep and an easy exit. Amazing stuff.
That's around Jackdownhill

Yes we saw the skull and crossbones. Glad it was there as the area was largely untouched all day and you can spot your line on the lift on the way up. Ski patrol weren't bothered by us or the couple of others entering. Great little resort.
:D
It's a warning, not prohibited, as I understand it

Reactions: Kash

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
That's around Jackdownhill

:D
It's a warning, not prohibited, as I understand it

I certainly wouldn't be entering the area solo as the depth of the powder through there was bordering on dangerous but it felt largely safe from slips given the trees. Having 3 of us made a difference plus the added benefit of being mostly in sight of the lift.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using