Advice needed The Big One: Best Skis for Me

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sainter4, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

Hi all. I'm new to the forum but been trawling through some of the threads for a bit... so I'm very keen for some advice from the lot of you seeing as you seem to seriously know your stuff!

I'm a 24yo male, 178cm 83kg athletic build, advanced skiier, very good fitness level - looking to invest in a fairly all-round ski that will see me through for hopefully many years to come. I ski occasionally at home at Buller, and love to get overseas to Japan/Europe when I can. My style is generally quite aggressive on the pistes without being an all out speed demon, and over recent trips to Japan/St Anton i've begun to dabble in off-piste/powder and fallen in love with the thick powder / soft mogul terrain.

In St Anton I rented Stockli Stormrider 88's which I found excellent for my needs on the pistes, whilst playful and responsive in the softer stuff and moguls, though i did bounce around a bit and lack some control when i went for the deep powder that was right off-piste. However all said, I loved the skis and would very much consider investing in those or something similar. On trips to Japan i've hired out even wider powder skis and spent most of my time off-piste, loving the deep powder but probably not carving up the pistes the way i'd like or could in the Stocklis.

So with all that said, I'm after a ski that will allow me some flexibility to attack the pistes at good speed but get a bit playful in deeper powder and handle moguls and stuff too. The SR 88's were near perfect for me if not for a bit of trouble in the deep powder with them not floating on top of it as much as i'd like.

Busting for any tips/advice you've got for me! Thanks in advance :)

2. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

dps 112RPC

Edit in 176ish

Chaeron likes this.
  3. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

Thanks for the tip, they look great! Do you mean to say 176cm for the length?
    I had the stockli's in something longer because i remember they were definitely taller than me (185ish i'm guessing)...

4. skifree

Yes re lenght. Longer & It’ll be harder work in the moguls, hmm 80plus kg & a whippersnapper, ok go the 184 i think is the next length.

5. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

Solomon QST 99's or 106's; 2019 model. Very little lost on piste, but heaps more options off-piste.
    Spoke to a Mountain Ops guy with a pair of 106's and he reckons they are incredibly universal. A single ski.

Zeroz likes this.
  6. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

On the DPS website I can only see the Alchemist Wailer 112 RP2 - is this an updated version of the same ski? Comes in 178cm and 184cm length..

7. linked_recoveries

Jeez! Ski in Buller, go overseas when possible, enjoyed my time on a Stoeckli Stormrider 88, looking for something along those lines, and the first suggestion is a dps Wailer 112RPC? Good grief!

Let's get some information before we fire off every possible alternative. Basic questions: where and when do you like to ski in Buller, what are conditions normally like on those occasions, what other skis have you tried and liked/disliked in the past (and why), what's the budget, would you prefer to bias an all-round ski towards carving on piste or floating off piste (there tends to be a trade off there), how much would you like to prioritise the ski for use overseas v's local resorts, etc. etc.

Kletterer likes this.
  8. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

+ 1, 000.

9. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Presuming the majority of skiing is O/S in soft snow & not Buller slush/crud - with stated preference for a wider ski.

If mainly AU with less time O/S one goes 90 underfoot...

Otherwise- quiver.... no single ski can manage the extremes.....

linked_recoveries and skifree like this.
  10. skifree

@DPS Driver

Chaeron likes this.
  11. skifree

Gotta make Buller interesting somehow.;)

Chaeron likes this.
  12. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

do you guys know much about the volkl kendo's? heard they're a pretty good all-rounder that might suit?

Chillybin likes this.
  13. Kletterer

Kletterer Still looking for doughnuts
    Ski Pass - Gold

Stick to 95 width if you still want to enjoy pistes at speed.

skifree, Snowy Joey and Chaeron like this.
  14. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

15. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Words of wisdom for Aussie conditions...

Kletterer likes this.
  16. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

17. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

skifree and CarveMan like this.
  18. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future!
    Ski Pass - Gold

OP could possibly demo a Stormrider 95 to compare to the 88.

Kletterer and Chaeron like this.
  19. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

suggestion being it might perform similarly on piste but float a little more on the powder...?

20. linked_recoveries

If you want to enjoy skiing on piste at speed get a ski with a 68mm waist. Or at least something properly narrow and carvey.

If you want to enjoy soft powder get the aforementioned 112RPC [edit - or perhaps just start with the 112RP, since the "C" in the name stands for "Charging"]

If you want an all-rounder, biased toward the real conditions on the ground that tend to get skied more often than not, allowing for both Buller and overseas, with likely hard morning corduroy followed by softening conditions locally, that Stoeckli Stormrider 88 (or something along those lines) is a pretty darn good choice.

#20 linked_recoveries, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  21. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

I don't get up to buller much these days so overseas is probably the bigger priority - i guess buller trips are going to be mostly opportunistic when i can fit them in (so any... bad!?.. conditions most likely).

I'm a little budget conscious in the sense that of a couple of pairs of similar skis i'd go the cheaper ones if there's a couple of hundred bucks difference even if the performance isn't quite at the same elite level... but ultimately i want a really good pair of skis so i'm prepared to spend a fair bit.

I'm certainly no backcountry prodigy and anticipate that i'll always be doing a fair bit of on-piste stuff, so i wouldn't want to sacrifice too much on-piste performance for something for the sake of floatation on powder - but i'd really love to be able to take them offpiste when i have the opportunity and have a play around in the powder without that being their sole purpose.

22. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

thanks for that, this is making a lot of sense to me... as i said, the SR 88's were more than ok for me for my on-piste interests, so i certainly don't feel i need skinny 68s or anything like that... but you'd say going much wider than 88 and i'm gonna start to struggle a bit on the groomers?

23. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room

You like the Stockli Stormrider 88, which is a stiff ski with camber and a bit of rocker in tip.
    It tells me you like a powerful performance ski with plenty of edge. IMO, that counts out big rocker/camber/rocker skis, because there's not enough edge for the performance that you want on piste.
    I'd go for big rocker in the tip, camber and a straight tail (or just a tiny bit of rocker in the tail), and a longer length (180cm+) and 95-100mm under foot.

Also have a look at this thread:
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/looking-for-my-2nd-pair-all-mountain.82299/#post-3674400

linked_recoveries and Chaeron like this.
  24. linked_recoveries

Sort of. I think struggle is the wrong word but you may not enjoy the groomers as much on a ski that doesn't perform quite so well on harder snow. There are a few exceptions, but by the time the waist is getting much above 90mm the manufacturers tend to be moving the design bias towards softer snow. There are wider skis that are torsionally stiff enough (i.e. resistant to twisting forces) to deal with hardpack carving, but you have to pick the right one. Of course everything depends on how often you want to be carving on hard snow versus hitting the softer stuff, assuming you can find some. Also, it's best to buy a ski for what you ski most of the time, rather than what you dream of skiing most of the time. Any ski will be great fun in eight inches of powder, but a big, floppy, rockered pair of clown shoes may not be as much fun on a rock hard, refrozen corduroy morning.

The Stormrider is 88mm, the Volkl Kendo you mentioned is 89mm (edit - the latest version of the Kendo is 90mm]. Over the past ten years that's grown to be the middle ground in terms of waist widths for all purpose skis. If you're happy to place more weight on overseas trips then you could easily go wider. Stormrider 95 is an obvious choice. Expensive brand of skis, but very well made in the best of Swiss traditions. Wider again is an option - all the way up to the 112RPC - depending on your priorities.

#24 linked_recoveries, Aug 30, 2018
  25. linked_recoveries

Sure, I'm just using extremes to show how there's a trade off when you're talking about buying one single pair of skis.

MickM likes this.
  26. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

Appreciate all the help. Thanks @Sandy and @linked_recoveries for the extra explanations - super helpful!

By the sounds of it (am trying to catch on to all the terminology and numbers quickly) I was on a pretty good thing already with the SR 88's, and something like that or a touch wider (up to 95mm) is probably gonna suit me best.

Starting to get my head around all this! :)

Chaeron likes this.
  27. MickM

MickM One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Something around 90 in width perfect for Oz IMO. Esp in the chopped up, crud & fresh.

I have the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI (2017 version) Stiff enough for the groomers with enough width for the variable crud, slush etc. Just as fast as my 72mm carvers, but much more stable in crud.

Plenty of choices in 90ish width skis

Roymond likes this.
  28. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

From my reading, a few that seem to maybe meet my requirements...

Stockli Stormrider 95
    Nordica Enforcer 93
    Volkl M5 Mantra 96
    K2 Pinnacle 95 ti
    Salomon QST 99

WOuld anyone have strong views on good ones / bad ones from this selection or stand-out qualities of any of them in particular?

29. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Nordica is probably the best ski, if you’re on a budget the Salomon is very difficult to go past. There’s also an Enforcer 100.

30. MickM

MickM One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Not many bad skis made anymore, but definitely you can still make a bad CHOICE of ski.

Chaeron likes this.
  31. Sandy

See if you can find out the exact rocker shape for each of these skis.
    IMO, you need a rocker shape like the second from the left, and NOT the far right, which has too little edge for performance on firm snow.

[​IMG]

32. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

First response on this thread was spot on. Lot of people with opinions on the W112RPC which is interesting because I've never demoed it here and not too many sold in Australia, so you must have ridden them elsewhere, or not. Just for your FYI it's quite a different ski to the W112RP2.

It's a special edition ski now but still holds pride of place as the most loved DPS ski by all of the staff, me included. It absolutely charges on piste. No ski in it's dimension range can match it because no other ski is built like it.

If you want something that charges and is versatile for OZ and OS around 90 underfoot then the DPS Cassiar94 is a great option. The DPS Wailer 99 goes very well on piste and kills it off piste, more playful in shape and a little more forgiving.

To get on piste edge hold and off piste performance you need to make a ski that wants to compete with itself because to design the characteristics into a ski to do one thing requires a certain design spec which is intrinsically opposite to the competing requirement. On piste stiffness, strong torsional rigidity lots of rebound, no rocker; off piste softer flex, rocker tip and tail etc.

This is where DPS hit the scene by combining the shaping and construction (carbon fibre) to bridge the gap and why the DPS Wailer112 is one of the worlds most awarded skis since it's inception.

Just got back from NZ where I was talking to four sponsored skiers, ie guides who are sponsored to push particular brands, and each of them have a pair of Wailers in their quiver. This is a similar story around the world. So there must be a reason.

Chaeron and skifree like this.
  33. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture

A two ski quiver would be better. One for Oz with a waist width around 88 - say your Stoekli’s!! And another with a waist width between 98mm and 110mm for travel. Say a Salomon QST106. I say the latter is it is less stiff and is more forgiving off piste, but will still carve groomers.

If just one ski what about the new Völkl Mantra M5 at around 95mm underfoot. It would be what I would look to get in your circumstances.

Me? I have a 4 ski quiver for general use.

Chaeron and skifree like this.
  34. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

Nordica Enforcer 93
    [​IMG]
    Volkl M5 Mantra 96
    [​IMG]
    K2 Pinnacle 95 ti
    [​IMG]
    Salomon QST 99
    [​IMG]

35. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

@Sandy all look pretty similar to me, maybe a longer (too long?) rocker on the K2s?

linked_recoveries likes this.
  36. Chillybin

Chillybin Hard Yards

The Man
    the Mantra M5 sounds more like you. I have 4 sets of Volkls from 96mm to 122mm. What you want to achieve you would be better on a 100-110mm ski. I often ski a 122 fully rocketed ski around Canada with no issues at all.

I love Volkl and as yet have not found any other all mountain ski that has an edge in hard snow as confidence inspiring as the Volkls do. That said the stormriders are excellent skis and I was seriously considering the 107mm model. There is literally hundreds of choices out there and everyone will tell you this is better than that and that’s better than this. In my opinion it doesn’t matter what you choose as you will get use to it and adapt accordingly whether good or bad. If you cannot demo go with your gut. You’ll be happy

Froff Life likes this.
  37. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

If only! Unfortunately i definitely can't justify the spend on a 2-ski quiver, so i'm thinking year something in that in-between 93-95mm is range underfoot might be my best bet... Do you know much about what the Mantra M5 offers versus the Nordica Enforcer 93 or the K2 Pinaccles?

38. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

Yeah I won't get to demo so gonna have to end up biting the bullet on something... will keep on with my reading and update as i get closer to the final call. Been so helpful all of you! Appreciate it massively.

39. linked_recoveries

I've been on the 112RP (hybrid and pure), the Wailer 99 (hybrid and pure), two different versions / lengths of the Cassiar 85. I haven't tried the 112RPC but have read a lot of reviews.

Yes, the carbon layup provides a lot of torsional stiffness. They're light weight and high performance skis and they're beautifully crafted. They also have that 'digital' carbon feel that tends to polarise opinion (although the very latest layup has improved the 'feel' on the snow). I'd always recommend a demo before buying a dps ski on that basis. You might adore them; lots of people do. Others, not so much.

On the other hand, for a side country / back country ski that you also want to use on the front side (or vice versa) I'd say they're very hard to beat.

skifree likes this.
  40. linked_recoveries

The Nordica Enforcer 93 gets rave reviews. The Enforcer 100 (its big brother) hardly gets a bad review from anyone. Buying the 93 in an appropriate length is a pretty safe bet. If you were next to me on a lift with those skis I'd be jealous.

41. Sandy

Too much on the K2 IMO.
    Have a look at each ski, and judge the edge length (approx) by the contact length (where the pair of skis press). Figure out the % of contact length to total ski length. The K2 has a really short contact length. (small %. Maybe 55%?)
    Nordica has a lot more, maybe 75%
    So for 185cm ski, edge length:
    K2 : 101cm approx
    Nordica: 138cm approx

42. linked_recoveries

I agree on the K2s.

Nice to see some camber returning to the latest Mantra. I might even like that design. The old continuous rocker versions always felt a bit 'swimmy' and imprecise to me.

Curious how the QST99 comes with a binding plate. And it looks to be delivering extra delta angle to boot. Heel mounted higher than the toe.

Is it just me or is that profile photo of the Enforcer 93 a bit weird? One of the tails looks bent. That's not how they come out of the wrapper, I'm sure.

43. B-Dub

B-Dub Hard Yards

I rode on the Nordica 93's for 5 days in Squaw earlier this year. They are great skis, i spent most of my time on the groomers as it was early in the season and it was still "low tide" as the locals called it (i.e limited snowfall). You won't go wrong with this ski. They were great on the groomers and I'd be confident they could more than handle up to a foot of fresh snow.

If I were in your shoes I'd go either:

1. Buy an all mountain wide ski, something in the 105 range as others have nominated - also add the Head Kore 105 to your list. These will handle the deeper stuff you want to ski in and also will be more than adequate charging down the groomers. Then I'd by an old "beater" ski second hand for a couple of hundred bucks and ski that if the Buller snow isn't up to standard for your new skis - I've still got a 12 year old pair of frontside carvers for exactly this purpose.

or

2. Buy an all mountain mid ski, something in the 90-95 range. This will suit perfectly for the 90% of conditions you'll find you're in. If you do luck into a 2 foot deep powder day, rent some powder specific skis for the day (110-115mm).

Goodluck, shopping is fun. Before you know it you'll be a ski tech and spec geek like most of us.

Rimey likes this.
  44. Sandy

I live in Japan, and I have two main "go to" skis:
    - Black Crows Camox, 186cm, 98mm under foot. Big tip rocker, camber, tiny tail camber. Used on piste, chop, moguls and powder up to about 40cm.
    - K2 Annex 108, 184cm, 108mm under foot. Big tip rocker, camber, straight tail. Used on piste, chop, and powder 40cm+
    - I also have other skis for other conditions!!!

IMO, the rocker/camber & tip tail profile is more important than absolute width under foot, if you're talking about powder, but more than usable on piste. Better to have a 100mm under foot ski with the right rocker/camber, and tapered tip, than a 110mm+ under foot ski that has the wrong rocker/camber, and no taper in the tip.

B-Dub likes this.
  45. PMG

PMG One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Black Crows Camox at 97mm. Great on and off piste. I've never taken them to Japan but I'm sure they would do the job there as well.

46. PMG

PMG One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Snap Sandy!

47. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

What do you think about the camber on the Enforcers compared to the others there which look a bit flatter? Does that mean the others (like the M5) might hold up a bit better in the powder?

48. Sainter4

Sainter4 First Runs

Camox looks sick, maybe this is a better bet for me than the skinnier Enforcers if it still handles the groomers and chop well

49. linked_recoveries

The Enforcer 93 was designed following the success of its big brother the Enforcer 100, which has lower camber (i.e. not much). They also released an Enforcer 110 and a (single length - 191cm) Enforcer 115 Pro for that matter. The 93 was designed with some front side activities in mind, for the people who thought 100mm was too wide for their needs. It's a bit beefier all round.

In three dimensional snow the defining characteristic of a ski will be the flex. Sidecut stats fall away a little as a reference - not entirely, they're just of lesser importance. The rocker in tip / tail feeds into the behavior of the ski (in terms of flex) as it moves through the snow, helping the tip plane up and preventing the tail from levering the tip downwards. Strong camber will have an opposite effect. I'm not saying the 93 has strong camber, but it has a little more than the others. For what it's worth that same camber will give it a better grab in harder snow conditions where you'll feel it engaging along the length of the edge, which is something I like. A bit of extra camber doesn't necessarily mean it has more grip - that's largely determined by the torsional stiffness of the ski - it's more about the feel of the edge on the snow. For mine, that camber would make the 93 a better generalist across all conditions.

#49 linked_recoveries, Aug 31, 2018
  50. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I demoed the new Mantra M5 up at Hotham. Advanced skier, 173cm and 85kgs, but I'm 40, so not "hard charging" all day but can still work a ski.

For me, I always found the previous versions of the Mantra too much ski, at least for Oz, anything with >20 metres turn radius and super stiff is going to be a challenge and run the risk of getting my pass confiscated. The new M5 is way softer and for me a better all round proposition. Much more manageable at lower speeds, (and easier to ski). The only area I was challenged with the ski was in bumps where the stiffness was not a lot of help. I've owned a few pairs of volkls and agree that the edge hold is amazing but they are the sort of ski you need to work all day to get the best out of. As an advanced aggressive skier I like that the more you put in, the more you get out of them, but plenty of others don't like that aspect as they want to cruise some times.

For an all round ski for an advanced I would suggest (based on what I have demoed) Volkl Kendos, Blizzard Brahmas, but there are plenty of other great choices mentioned above.

For what it's worth, I've got 2 pairs of skis I use on a regular basis, Blizzard Brahmas and Rossignol Sin7s. Both pairs I bought as ex demo skis.
    The Bramas were ~$650 delivered to my door and are my everyday Oz pair, the Sin 7s were ~$400 and are my Japan pair.
    If you are on a tight budget there's nothing wrong with an ex demo ski with a few scratches...

Annabuzzy likes this.