Trip Report The Bluff Hut, Eagle's peak & Mt. Timbertop.June 2018

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Hi.
    I just returned from a whistle stop trip to The Bluff Hut . I got my RAV 4 with All Terrain tyres up to the Bluff hut which was a bit hairy but I was just keeping it in LOW gear and rolling . I got up there and back to 8 Mile Gap without any serious drama. Someone had cut all the big fallen timber that had fallen across the very rough Bluff link track and the carriageway past Refrigerator Gap up to The Bluff Hut.
    That made things a lot easier. Some of the timber on the road that had been cut would have needed a bigger chainsaw than the one which I carry in my car.
    The road conditions up there are not very good: muddy , rutted, full of uneven exposed bedrock , fallen logs that only have to roll a bit the wrong way to make life a PITA etc . .
    I did achieve what I set out to do in readiness for a planned BC XC ski trip up there , signed the book and went back to 8 Mile Gap. There seemed to be enough water in the hut tank and someone had left a small fire still smouldering inside the fire place at the hut.
    One spied a dusting of snow on Mt. Stirling and some strips of Slurpee fake snow on Mt. Buller from the hut surrounds.
    The view of The Bluff from the Bluff Link Track was worthy of a photo stop.
    The walk up to the Eagle's peak from 8 Mile Gap is spectacular but we were running out of daylight and elected to turn back without reaching the wild and woolly summit , some 15 minutes short of the summit. It was steep , slippery, exposed and descending safely would have taken a long time.
    However the views of The Bluff, Mt. McDonald and so forth were excellent and the weather was clear, sunny but cold.
    This is unfinished back country bush walking business that will be attended to in Spring!.
    We made it safely back to 8 Mile Gap and I drove back down Brock's road to Davon's flat. We made camp in the fading light and soon we were eating hot food and sitting in front of a campfire.
    The overnight temperature was very cold. It dropped to negative 3 and everything was covered in ice this morning ( June 5th 2018 ).
    I have had warmer nights snow camping last winter. I had my snow camping sleeping bag fully zipped up and I was wearing a lot of layers plus gloves and balaclava.
    On the way out to Mansfield and the evil empire ( Melb. ) we stopped to walk up Mt. Timbertop. I last walked up there 10-15-20 years ago. The new track alignment with arrows and an interpretative sign near the top is a zig zag affair that is easy to follow. The old track still can be seen in places going, more or less ,as I remember it , straight up the hill.
    The views from the top were excellent and one could see the Bluff from yet another vantage point.
    I love that area and I will be back .

However unless I find someone with a real 4 x 4 vehicle and commensurate driving skills who is game to join me for my planned white season ski trip to the Bluff hut and surrounds, I will park my RAV 4 at 8 Mile Gap and hike in , all 11 kms from that point of embarkation and slog it up to the hut with skis strapped to the pack.
    I don't wish to be trapped by monster fallen logs or by being snowed in or by bottoming out in deep snow in my faux off road horseless carriage.
    Photos from this excursion are coming soon.

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    pegasusSki, skifree, GS and 4 others like this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Mr.Tee at The Bluff Hut June 4th 2018. The weather was clear but cold. Last Time I was there, in May 2016 I hiked up from 8 Mile flat via 8 Mile Spur with a full pack over the Bluff and arrived exhausted. This time I drove up in the Tee Mobile.

Poppies, neilmny and Bogong like this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The New All Terrain tyres were and still are most positively an improvement for keeping good grip on the mountain tracks.

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

We could see Mt. Buller from near The Bluff Hut.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Those naughty trees keep falling down on the 4 x4 carriageways.
    I prefer to walk , cycle , swim , XC ski or surf if I can. I can get myself out of any kind of trouble on two feet. In a car , well... it can become complicated.

6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The Bluff as seen from the rather rough Bluff Link Track. Bits of the track were OK. Other bits were rather iffy.

neilmny and skifree like this.
  7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

We had been in the car for most of the day so a walk up the to the Eagle's peak was just what we needed to freshen up , take in some air and see the area from a wild and remote place.

Poppies, neilmny, Chaeron and 2 others like this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

We could see the entire Howqua and Jamieson river valley catchment areas in the late afternoon light. However we did not want to be scrambling down in the dark so we turned back before reaching the top. I am going back up there in spring , you betcha!

neilmny and Chaeron like this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The Bluff was clearly visible from the Eagle Peak walking track.

Poppies and neilmny like this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I got a bit snap happy up on that ridge. Ms. Carola was enjoying the excursion too. Mt.McDonald was shrouded in clouds.

neilmny likes this.
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The next morning at our camp site on the Howqua River the air temperature was well below zero and the mist on the river had voodoo properties.
    I am getting the hang of this digital camera.

12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Up on the top of Mt. Timbertop on June 5th 2018 we could see The Bluff. It seemed to be following us.
    The new Mt. Timbertop walking track is easy compared with the old one. The old one went straight up the hill and was a lung buster.

neilmny and Bogong like this.
  13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Can you spot Ms. Carola in the snow gums on the summit ridge of Mt. Timbertop?

neilmny likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

On the way back to Melb. we spotted the most perfect European tree in its final Autumnal blaze of deciduous glory. This is in Molesworth near Yea.

Poppies, Chaeron and skifree like this.
  15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Driving through a narrow section with fallen timber on the Bluff Link Track.

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Mr.Tee on the Eagle's Peak walking track.

skifree and neilmny like this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

These photos were taken by Ms. Carola while we were walking along the Eagle's Peaks track.

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

One of my pictures from the Eagle's Peak walk.

20. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Howdy Mr T,
    Some great pics of superb walking/ driving country. Reminds me of some of my old RAV-based adventures - Road to the bluff has never been 'smooth'. Sounds like time for some DELWP 'love'.

Fwiw: In the my earlier travels I was lucky to get my Hillman to 8 Mile Gap.

As for the timber - what a pain! Where are the loggers when you need them, eh?

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Mr.Tee , out walking on the Eagle's Peak track.

22. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Looks like you are in camouflage gear....we better get you a fluro beenie for these photo ops.:whistle:

We feel you need a trip to Mt Pinnabar....in RAV4......perhaps with telescope you could keep track on those NSW brumbies trying to infiltrate the home country!

23. Ian

Ian Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

24. teletubby

teletubby Hard Yards

Great trip report Mr T. I was there that weekend (1-3 June) and in the Bluff, Clear Hills, Stirling/Buller area over the 3 preceding weekends. Good effort getting the Rav to Bluff hut, clearance is the main issue but good tyres and low range certainly helps! Here are some assorted pics from my weekends at Craig's hut, The Bluff, Mt Stirling and environs. The weekend before QB got to -4C and the snow that thawed during the day, became ice again over night.

Attached Files:

stansi, neilmny, GS and 1 other person like this.
  25. teletubby

teletubby Hard Yards

a few more pics from April-June around The Bluff and Craig's hut

Attached Files:

GS and Poppies like this.
  26. teletubby

teletubby Hard Yards

and...a few more! The 'controlled burns' across the ranges provided some wonderful colours at sunrise and sunset.

Last splashes of colour before the snow, looking up to Craig's hut

Late afternoon view from The Bluff, to Mt Eadley Stoney, Mts Howitt and Speculation, Crosscut Saw on the skyline

Mushrooms down along the Howqua river

First rays of sunlight, no filter used. This light on the snowgums in Clear Hills, lasts for about 15 minutes

Sunset panorama with moonrise at Craig's hut. The last rays of sunlight reflected in the windows
    Panorama from The Bluff

stansi, NewTurns, neilmny and 5 others like this.
  27. Poppies

Poppies Hard Yards

neilmny and GS like this.
  28. teletubby

teletubby Hard Yards

thankyou! Hard to go wrong with such great subject matter out there :)

neilmny and Poppies like this.