The change in cost to the 70 Year old Skiiers at Mount Baw Baw

Old_Towie

Hard Yards
Aug 28, 2008
Hi All The change in cost to the 70 Year old Skiiers at Mount Baw Baw

I am a member of a Ski Club on Baw Baw with 44 years put into the promotion of Baw Baw.

I am annoyed that the cost of tickets for the Ski tows at Mount Baw Baw for 70 Year old

Skiiers have gone from FREE to $39.00 per Day.

??? Can We Do Something about this ???

The prices at the following resorts are -:

Mt Buller FREE

Falls Creek FREE

MT Hotham FREE

Ps I have talked to about 7 people over last week and MOST will NOT be coming back to Baw Baw ,

which includes their families, if this keeps up Baw Baw wont exist ????

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
I pay nothing now!
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Costly alternative. Your argument makes sense IF you only go to Baw Baw with fellow oldies, BUT you said you go up with families. The recent price reduction for 95% of skiers means that the total cost for a multi-generational group will be much less. So a reasonable person would be grateful, not angry.

I suspect your post is based on emotion rather than calm, clearly thought out, reason.
frown.gif

Maniac

First Runs
Aug 21, 2008
It's been commented recently that in the pursuit of the younger "park-riders" the powers at Baw Baw have forgotten to continue to look after their long-time stakeholders which includes Lodgies and XCers - as demonstrated by the lack of support recently for the Tullicouty (sp?) Cup.

They're chasing $$ and "credibility" in the area of terrain parks at the expense of everyone else. If they're not careful they will lose more than they gain.
mad.gif

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Hunter, for 95% of skiers your post would read:

Mt Buller $98
Falls Creek $98
Mt Hotham $98

Mt Baw Baw... $49. ...
woohoo.gif
half price.
biggrin.gif

As I said, so long as an older person travels with a few under 70's there is still a price reduction (which is VERY rare in our society).

For a group traveling without anyone over 70 (the VAST majority) there is a very big price reduction.
biggrin.gif

I can't believe anyone could be opposed to this wonderful initiative.
smile.gif

Charlie

Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
Bogong, i'm sure no-one is opposed to the $49 day ticket, this post is about the removal of the free ticket for over 70s.
Incidentally, the over 70 concession was removed at the beginning of the season, before the $49 day ticket was implemented!

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Bogong, the overall cost for a group of people including an over 70 may be reduced, but most over 70s pay their own way. Do you really think the younger members will chip in to cover the older person's ticket? And do you think the older member will want to be treated like a charity case by his friends/family?

And what about for instance, a couple in their 70s who go there regularly? They're down by $100 a day. In general, the over 70s are those who put a lot of money (if not time and labour) into the resort over the years. You don't get over 70s taking up skiing for the first time.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'm perplexed about why they did it. How many over 70 skiers (and boarders
laugh.gif
) does Baw Baw get? Looks like a very small revenue change for a very big aggravation factor.

Would the thought of 70plus skiers getting free tickets deter new young customers? seems unlikely.

sounds more like someone's dogma than a sound business decision

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
OTOH, you hear a lot of people in their 60s say that they intend to keep skiing until they're 70 so they can ski free. Without that incentive to keep skiing, they may well stop skiing. So in fact, they keep paying for those extra years to get them a few free days when they're 70. Now they won't be buying tickets, but will quit skiing earlier. In overall terms, Baw Baw may be better off in the short term, but will be worse off in the mid and long term.

Charlie

Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
currawong said:
Looks like a very small revenue change for a very big aggravation factor.

A bit like the decision to charge for summer parking!
mad.gif

Hymie

First Runs
May 2, 2008
I received a copy of the original post as a part of an organised campaign.
Somebody's pushing a barrow here, and Baw Baw is going to look really silly if you ask me.

Charlie

Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
I dunno about an organised campaign, I received the same email, it's from a club member, and I suppose the barrow he's pushing is to get the over 70 freebie reinstated!
Incidentally, I agree with him!

rangerider

A Local
Jun 14, 2008
1. Over 70's should be free. They've earned it.

2. Baw Baw is a tiny little mountain with five lifts. It is incomparable to other Vic resorts that have much more extensive lift networks. The price at Baw Baw is now about right and before was much too expensive for what was on offer.

3. $35 for resort entry on a Saturday is a little over the top.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass