The coming Japanese season 2010-2011 weather

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
TJ said:
I'm waiting for Sandy's prediction of a storm of biblical proportions again.

laugh.gif

Nothing Biblical on my radar yet!!!!
wink.gif

Will let you know when....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last two days have finally felt like "early winter" in Tokyo/Yokohama

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
gfsx_500p_10d_easia.gif

Looks online for most of japan.
look at the 850 temps
shocked.gif

gfsx_850_10d_easia.gif

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yesterday, the top temperature in Tokyo(9am-9pm) was 9.6 degrees.

That's more like an "early winter" temperature in my book. Yokohama was 8.9

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
We got up to 6 degrees yesterday and looking at 9 degrees today. Unusually mild for this time of year.

Loving the look of that forecast though!

jahoota

One of Us
Sep 12, 1999
The thunderbox
The look of that predicted weather pattern has induced a tightening of pants around my grional region for sure. If that pattern comes to pass I'll be splitting pants seams....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

McNads

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Beaudesert, QLD
Any projection greater then 4 days out is la-la land, hyperbole, fantasy. All these guys know this, but they can't help but look anyway! The anticipation and excitement has them by the short and curlys - as for me, I'm forcing myself to hold out until 1st December.

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
According to McNads that's in la-la land, hyperbole and fantasy so don't get too excited yet!
tongue.gif

Mrstr_Chief

One of Us
Nov 8, 2004
Sydney
I think forecasting snowfall for Japan is much easier than Australia, in terms of 'ok, yes it will snow in 5 days time" instead of what we are used to in Oz, "yes it will snow 50cm in 5 days time, the chats are great....*three days later* hmmm.... loooks like just a dusting"

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
McNads said:
Any projection greater then 4 days out is la-la land, hyperbole, fantasy. All these guys know this, but they can't help but look anyway! The anticipation and excitement has them by the short and curlys - as for me, I'm forcing myself to hold out until 1st December.

There is a difference....

In Australia, we rely on a cold front to bring us snow. If it is accompanied by a low pressure trough in the right place, it could snow a lot. If the whole thing is in the wrong place, it could rain a lot.

OTOH, in Japan, all that's required is for a fresh WIND to be coming from the right direction for it to snow A LOT. That's it.

So from that point of view, in Australia the conditions have to be precise, which often means that it can't be predicted more than 4-5 days ahead.(if that)
In Japan, you can sometimes pick it from 7-8+ days out, because all that required is a general shift to the correct wind direction.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
Some spectacular storms around Niseko this evening just ahead of the frontal system moving through. Pity there's going to be bugger all moisture left when the colder air arrives.

MH

First Runs
Our long range forecast for Japan has been predicting a much colder than average winter for a few months now (consistent with a La Nina). The latest issue predicts decile 2 temperatures in Dec, Jan and Feb (this means in the coldest 20% of years). The types of weather patterns required to produce consistently lower than average temps in Japan are the same that produce snowfalls. So it's quite likely Japan will see an early start to the season and a good season through the peak.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
MH said:
Our long range forecast for Japan has been predicting a much colder than average winter for a few months now (consistent with a La Nina). The latest issue predicts decile 2 temperatures in Dec, Jan and Feb (this means in the coldest 20% of years). The types of weather patterns required to produce consistently lower than average temps in Japan are the same that produce snowfalls. So it's quite likely Japan will see an early start to the season and a good season through the peak.

This was discussed earlier in the thread.

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
MH said:

The Japanese frog!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
gfsx_500p_7d_easia.gif

Yes and no...I like the low, but don't like the way that ridge is set up over Japan.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Reckon the low won't punch through? Yes you are right thought, unless it weakens that high could be strong enough to keep it anchored out to sea.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
seekingpow said:
Reckon the low won't punch through? Yes you are right thought, unless it weakens that high could be strong enough to keep it anchored out to sea.
Japanese snow fall weather is not dependant on lows as such

Sandy has written a good post on this.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Just excited for the first dump!

As long as I can ride strawberries in Niseko on Dec 31 when I arrive I'm happy
smile.gif

Up to 2 metres a week is not uncommon in Hokkaido in late December if the high's stack up so not too worried yet.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
seekingpow said:

smitty484 said:
Well the low is not needed to sit over the mainland for precipitation, but it helps to push NW winds over the mainland if it is positioned to the north of Hokkaido.

Sandy said:
In Australia, we rely on a cold front to bring us snow. If it is accompanied by a low pressure trough in the right place, it could snow a lot. If the whole thing is in the wrong place, it could rain a lot.

OTOH, in Japan, all that's required is for a fresh WIND to be coming from the right direction for it to snow A LOT. That's it.

In fact, a low pressure trough over Japan is often BAD!!!! When located over central Japan, for example, it is about the only time that Hokkaido gets rain!!!!

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
smitty484 said:
Sandy I wasn't talking about a low pressure over the mainland. I was saying north in the Sea of Okhotsk.

Yes, I know, I was responding to seekingpow's statement about low pressure.

You said that "the low is not needed to sit over the mainland for precipitation", and I was reinforcing that by saying that it can also be bad if it DOES sit there.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
seekingpow said:
Pretty cold temps surrounding the low to the north. Would it pull lower latitude air in if it moved south?
Yeah it will...but when you have a strong low to the north of Hokkiado it also orientates the placement and shape of the highs over Siberia in a negative fashion IMO. I think the best situtaion is a low near the sea of okhotsk of around 1000hpa
You don't need that strong a gradient to produce snow. Just a prolonged and well directed fetch. It will pick moisture up on the way.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
seekingpow said:
Pretty cold temps surrounding the low to the north. Would it pull lower latitude air in if it moved south?

Yes, it will, but if it moves TOO far south, it will drag WARM air from the south onto Hokkaido.

The key winter pattern is a big HIGH over Mongolia and northern China.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
seekingpow said:
Sorry, I see what you mean. The one out to the west

To be clear, you don't need ANY low pressure for it to snow a lot in Japan!!!!!

All you need is WIND from the right direction, and the "Lake Effect" will do the rest:

HakubaWindsz.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using