The coming Japanese season 2013-2014 weather

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
These two typhoons southwest of Japan have established a warm southerly airflow across Japan. Highs around 28 degree are expected for the next few days.

If it happens to hit 30 degrees today, it would be a record for the latest 30+ day in October.

I think the situation is unusual, with 4 typhoons over the last two weeks establishing low pressure in just the right location for this southerly breeze.
 

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
138,470
104,288
3,563
woonona
Brought some killer waves as well
1382875_10151745703873089_513176844_n.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
19,438
9,502
813
looks like autumn is taking hold over next week.
Some cool temps forecast up Hokkaido way.
Wont be long before the snowman icon starts making an appearance.
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/week/
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Well, autumn took hold about 3 weeks ago, but the last 4-5 days, plus today and tomorrow have been warm and sticky, due to those typhoons to the west, directing southerly air over Japan.
Another typhoon looks like pushing in next week near central Japan, and would be our 5th in 3 weeks. After that, it looks like autumn will return
 

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Sandy said:
These two typhoons southwest of Japan have established a warm southerly airflow across Japan. Highs around 28 degree are expected for the next few days.

If it happens to hit 30 degrees today, it would be a record for the latest 30+ day in October.

I think the situation is unusual, with 4 typhoons over the last two weeks establishing low pressure in just the right location for this southerly breeze.

Tokyo hit 30.2 degrees which is a record. It's the latest 30+ day on record (11th October).

There's currently a huge blocking high int he central north Pacific, which may also explain why we've had so many typhoons in the last 2 weeks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
The new typhoon called Wipha looks like Category 3(gusts up to 200kph) by Monday, and there's a reasonable probability that it will make a direct hit on Tokyo early Wednesday!!!!

Another warm day in Tokyo today, with a forecast of 31 degrees.
 

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Got to 31.2 degrees in Tokyo today.

M_G said:
NHK news has snow forecast on the alps in northern Japan tomorrow. This straight after record hot October days!

It's the warm air pushed in front of the cold front.

The cooler air has already pushed through
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Sandy said:
The new typhoon called Wipha looks like Category 3(gusts up to 200kph) by Monday, and there's a reasonable probability that it will make a direct hit on Tokyo early Wednesday!!!!

Well, it's jumped and is now already Cat 4, with 205kph sustained winds, gusting up to 255kph.

Will probably hit Tokyo about 3am Wednesday morning.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Sandy said:
Sandy said:
The new typhoon called Wipha looks like Category 3(gusts up to 200kph) by Monday, and there's a reasonable probability that it will make a direct hit on Tokyo early Wednesday!!!!

Well, it's jumped and is now already Cat 4, with 205kph sustained winds, gusting up to 255kph.

Will probably hit Tokyo about 3am Wednesday morning.

Now looks like a direct hit on Tokyo, about 9am Wednesday.
Winds currently 175kph, gusting to 205kph.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
From Japan Times:

Strong typhoon may approach mainland on Wednesday

Kyodo

A strong typhoon was moving in waters south of the Japanese archipelago Monday and expected to come close to Japan’s main island of Honshu within two days, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

Typhoon Wipha, the 26th typhoon of the year, was traveling north-northwest at a speed of 25 km per hour southeast of Minamidaito Island in Okinawa Prefecture on Monday evening, the agency said.

As of 6 p.m., the typhoon had an atmospheric pressure at its center of 930 hectopascals and was packing winds of up to 234 km per hour.

The typhoon is likely to approach Honshu sometime between Tuesday evening and Wednesday, said the agency, which warned of strong wind, heavy rain and high waves in a large area from western through northern Japan.

Some areas in eastern and western Japan are expected on Tuesday to be hit by thunderstorms and torrential rainfall of more than 50 millimeters per hour.

The typhoon is expected to bring 200 mm of rainfall to the Tokai region and 150 mm to the Kinki region, while the Izu Islands south of Tokyo could receive 100 mm of rainfall, the agency said.

Heavy rain is likely to continue through Wednesday in wide areas in western and northern Japan.
 

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
We've had around 225mm here in Yokohama overnight, and 240mm in Tokyo. Once place in the Izu peninsular had around 350mm.

The typhoon is passing over the top pretty much right now. 958hPa on the Chiba coast.
 

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
83,912
79,077
1,563
The barber's chair
Sandy said:
We've had around 225mm here in Yokohama overnight, and 240mm in Tokyo. Once place in the Izu peninsular had around 350mm.

The typhoon is passing over the top pretty much right now. 958hPa on the Chiba coast.
That's pretty damp. Breezy outside?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Winds are strong, but not excessively strong. Gusting up to 120kph.
The rain seems to have cleared, and it's now sunny!!! And the pressure is rising, now up to 973hPa.

Train services have been suspended this morning, but they are now doing maintenance.
 

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
83,912
79,077
1,563
The barber's chair
Sandy said:
Winds are strong, but not excessively strong. Gusting up to 120kph.
The rain seems to have cleared, and it's now sunny!!! And the pressure is rising, now up to 973hPa.

Train services have been suspended this morning, but they are now doing maintenance.
Do they get much damage from the Typhoons like can be the case from Cyclones across the top end here?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
mick chopps said:
Sandy said:
Winds are strong, but not excessively strong. Gusting up to 120kph.
The rain seems to have cleared, and it's now sunny!!! And the pressure is rising, now up to 973hPa.

Train services have been suspended this morning, but they are now doing maintenance.
Do they get much damage from the Typhoons like can be the case from Cyclones across the top end here?

Not as far north as Tokyo, which is the same latitude north, as Canberra is south!!!!!!
However, some typhoons have done a lot of damage this year, further south in Kyushu & in Okinawa. We've had an excessive number of typhoons head our way this typhoon season.....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
138,470
104,288
3,563
woonona
I think the Japanese cricket titles are on this weekend...pity the pitch might be a bit damp
 

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Sandy said:
Winds are strong, but not excessively strong. Gusting up to 120kph.
The rain seems to have cleared, and it's now sunny!!! And the pressure is rising, now up to 973hPa.

Train services have been suspended this morning, but they are now doing maintenance.

It's after midday and most train services have resumed with delays.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
4,200
3,361
363
Sydney
Sandy said:
mick chopps said:
Sandy said:
Winds are strong, but not excessively strong. Gusting up to 120kph.
The rain seems to have cleared, and it's now sunny!!! And the pressure is rising, now up to 973hPa.

Train services have been suspended this morning, but they are now doing maintenance.
Do they get much damage from the Typhoons like can be the case from Cyclones across the top end here?

Not as far north as Tokyo, which is the same latitude north, as Canberra is south!!!!!!

However, some typhoons have done a lot of damage this year, further south in Kyushu & in Okinawa. We've had an excessive number of typhoons head our way this typhoon season.....

I was wondering about that. How can typhoons travel so far north and maintain their intensity off the coast of Japan? If a cyclone was off the east coast of Australia it would start to lose its intensity north of Brisbane.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
The Kuroshio current runs from around Taiwan up past the east coast of Japan. It's temperature is around 27 degrees in summer. It's what keeps Japan consistently hot in summer time, and it sustains typhoons as far north as Tokyo and a little beyond
 

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
4,200
3,361
363
Sydney
Thanks for that. Japan is not short of a bit of weather in summer or winter that's for sure.
 

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
People are often surprised to find out that Japan is so warm in summer, or so cold in winter, given that it's an island, and not part of a large continent.

e.g. Often those who travel to Japan around the middle 6 months of the year are surprised to find out that it can snow almost anywhere in Japan.
Conversely, those who travel to Japan the 4 months around winter, (like Aussie snow sports enthusiasts) are often surprised that the southern 3/4 of Japan(sea level) has one whole month(and then some!!) that never gets below around 24 degrees during the night, and is almost always gets above 30-34 during the day, every day.




By the way, there is ANOTHER typhoon possibly heading in to Japan: TS Francisco

Likely to hit Cat 4 by Saturday, possibly hitting Japan around Wednesday next week.
 

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Sandy said:
By the way, there is ANOTHER typhoon possibly heading in to Japan: TS Francisco

Likely to hit Cat 4 by Saturday, possibly hitting Japan around Wednesday next week.

Ok, Typhoon Francisco has it Cat 5:

Sustained wind speed 260kph
Winds gusting up to 310kph
eek.gif


Stronger than last weeks!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
PMG said:
What direction is this one heading?

It is tracking in an almost identical line to last weeks one.
i.e. A good chance it will track over the top of Tokyo again, likely on Friday.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
1,402
3,307
363
Typhoons typhoons. Just back in Furano after working in Shikoku. 24 hours on boat from Maizuru to Otaru then a few hours in the car. 23rd October and the temp at 10:00 pm on the expressway past Sapporo was 10 degrees!!! Is that ringing any alarm bells?

It is for me. FWIW, I am reminded of the very first time I arrived in Hokkaido. 31st October 1981. Chitose covered in snow, and on the train to Asahikawa, thick white snow everywhere. So mad I skied the streets! and the next year and the next year..

I know, it can change any time and its on and it will, but, just saying.....
 

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Sandy said:
Sandy said:
By the way, there is ANOTHER typhoon possibly heading in to Japan: TS Francisco

Likely to hit Cat 4 by Saturday, possibly hitting Japan around Wednesday next week.

Ok, Typhoon Francisco has it Cat 5:

Sustained wind speed 260kph
Winds gusting up to 310kph
eek.gif


Stronger than last weeks!!!!

Well typhoon Francisco is heading in tomorrow some time. The sea is getting a bit cooler, so it's weakening, and while not likely now to make landfall, we are still expecting 200m+ of rain.
Another strong storm, typhoon Lekima (was Cat 5, gusts 300kph+) will miss Japan by quite some margin.

However, what's a little intriguing is that the two are heading towards each other, something that I haven't seen before!!!!!






After that, it looks like the seasons are taking the next quantum step down towards winter, with Tokyo getting a string of low 20s days, and the northern Kanto plain area likely to get its first sub 10 degree nights next week.

Once these two typhoons pass, I think Hokkaido is likely to see the first low level snow forecasts on the JMA site later next week.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
19,438
9,502
813
JMA have added the snow depth column onto the observation page, so it shouldn't be too long now
 

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
75,767
20,739
3,000
Kelowna, BC
This is this coming Saturday for us on the other side of the pond....





But this is what's left over from those two typhoons in terms of moisture.....




I'll take it.
wink.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
72,595
35,610
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
It's interesting how it requires some sort of storm in the Pacific NW of N America(normal for most places
wink.gif
), while in Japan, all you need is the wind in the right direction.
thumbsup.gif



I hope it does its worst (best)
wink.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
75,767
20,739
3,000
Kelowna, BC
We seem to get most of our "snow" weather from stuff that spins out of the Arctic cycles,..... except for when those damn pineapples come up from the tropics. Even then,... with the right combo of cold polar air (especially inland) the results can be pretty spectacular.
 

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
138,470
104,288
3,563
woonona
Yeah interior bc gets a funnel from those warm southerlies whipping up through the cascades meeting a spinning top coming down from the Arctic. Its pretty ho hum compared to Japanese snow weather
 

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
21,547
18,090
1,063
Brisbane
Stratus said:
How long until the regular winter pattern typically sets in?

10 December this year.
wink.gif


Seriously, Japan's winter typically starts later than North America. While North American resorts will start building their base through October and November Japan may not get any decent snow until December. Then they get 2-3 metres in a week and it's on.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
8,168
474
463
Melbourne
Born2ski said:
Stratus said:
How long until the regular winter pattern typically sets in?


Seriously, Japan's winter typically starts later than North America. While North American resorts will start building their base through October and November Japan may not get any decent snow until December. Then they get 2-3 metres in a week and it's on.

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Log in

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass