The Crinoline

AnthonyT

Hard Yards
Feb 13, 2006
Melbourne
This is AnthonyT, long time reader, first time poster.

I am planning a walk to The Crinoline in the next month or so, but am a bit worried about the water situation for camping on the ridge top.

Does anyone know if the Long Hill Creek has water in it all year round?

Thanks

askmikey

First Runs
Jan 24, 2005
Its been years since I was up that way so I wouldn't know. Someone here will surely know the answer though.

Congrats on finally joining up as a member.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
No! No! No! :no: You can't trust water in the Long Hill area after Christmas. The creek will almost certainly be dry now, even if you dig. However the good news is that it's a fairly easy walk in from the Mt Tamboritha side, so it isn't too hard to carry 4 litres of water each, as long as you pick a weekend when it isn't hot.

If you found this walk in the Van der Knijff guidebook, you should be aware that there are a heck of a lot of errors in it, so be careful!

If it is hot, you won't be able to carry enough water, so go off and do something nearby with water such as Moroka Gorge (great swimming), Guys Hut - Conglomerate Falls, etc.

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Nice walking, the wider Mt Tamboritha, Ligar (Crinoline) area. Tempted, I am.

Full size topo 1.9 mb

Sample:
ligar_tambo_big_topographic1_resize800600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

echidna

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2003
Melbourne
In fact I would doubly recommend the Crinoline after heavy rain, mainly because the Long Hill Creek falls are definitely worthwhile (if the creek is flowing with some strength) and easily accessible off the main walking track.

They're somewhere around the "H" of Long Hill Creek, just as it drops off the plateau.

All three trips I've managed to wake to the Crinoline emerging from a blanket of low-lying cloud. It's quite a place.

AnthonyT

Hard Yards
Feb 13, 2006
Melbourne
Bogong said:
No! No! No! :no: You can't trust water in the Long Hill area after Christmas. The creek will almost certainly be dry now, even if you dig. However the good news is that it's a fairly easy walk in from the Mt Tamboritha side, so it isn't too hard to carry 4 litres of water each, as long as you pick a weekend when it isn't hot.

If you found this walk in the Van der Knijff guidebook, you should be aware that there are a heck of a lot of errors in it, so be careful!

If it is hot, you won't be able to carry enough water, so go off and do something nearby with water such as Moroka Gorge (great swimming), Guys Hut - Conglomerate Falls, etc.
I've done the walk before, but that was on Queen's Birthday weekend in the mid 90s. It rained on the first day and snowed on the second, so there was no problem with water.

I have read that it can be a hot dry walk in summer, but never read anything definite about water availability.

After your comments it sounds

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthonyT

Hard Yards
Feb 13, 2006
Melbourne
(continued from above...still getting used to the technology ) like it might be better to choose somewhere else in the area. I haven't been to Tali Karng for a while so may return there for a visit.

legend

One of Us
Aug 22, 2004
lakes entrance
Last w/e 18/19 Feb Breakfast Creek was completely dry (no water in any rocky low spot) at the Melbourne Grammar camp. Hills around Licola were very dry (almost grassless) and just a trickle of water in the Macalister River. Normally good rains in late March top things up and the walk is not a problem. First check the amount of water in B'fast Creek by the main road before heading up - very easy to change to Moroka Falls, Tarli Karng, Snowy Plains, etc

CaptainC

Addicted
Jun 15, 2005
Melbourne
I agree with Bogong and Legend. I've done the walk at this time of year and found water in rock pools but I wouldn't want to rely on it. I'd carry water as suggested by Bogong. If that doesn't appeal try one of the other walks in the area. Crinoline is my favourite walk but late Summer, early Autumn the creek often stops flowing.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass