1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report The Eagles Peaks & The Nobs.10 &11/12/18

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi
    Your correspondent in the field has been out scouting out the High country near Mt. McDonald.
    I went up to the Upper Jamieson river hut in the Tee mobile. Well I walked down that Monster Tonka toy 4 x 4 track to the river ford from Brock's road , went across the river with my boots off and went and sussed out the hut and the "track " up to Mt. McDonald. There is no track. It has become lost to dense regrowth out there some where.
    I went and looked for a hint of a footpad coming in from Low Saddle Rd. I found nothing. Just dense scrub.
    The SV map needs to be updated!!
    The SV map shows a track coming from the Upper Jamieson Hut and from Low Saddle Road but there was FA x 2 in terms of where it might be.

I canned that idea of going up Mt. McDonald and went on foot back over the river and up to The Nobs via the monster Tonka toy 4 x 4 track ( an insane near vertical axle breaking track) and up to the summit of the Knobs on the AAWT. That was about 5 kms of distance with 800 M. elevation gain one way. Fitness and good weather really helps!
    The Clear Creek track up to the junction with the Nobs track is proper 4 x 4 access only with blackberries, fallen branches and deep bogs .I left my car at the junction with Brocks Road.
    That walk was scenic, torturous and grand.
    I did not see another soul for miles for 24 hours .I returned by the same route on foot and finished it all off by having a swim in the upper Jamieson river before driving back up over 8 Mile Gap and setting up camp at 8 Mile flat ( a 4 WD access campsite on the Howqua river).
    I was stuffed after doing that day walk with a day pack. It was steep going up but going down was even slower and steeper.
    In terms of walking from the Nobs onto High Cone, Square top and Mt. Clear there is no water along that section of the AAWT and the warm weather and sapping ups and downs in elevation would make the 15 or so km.s to the next water point with an overnight pack a bit iffy. I will wait until early NOV. 2019 to walk that section.
    I also went up the highest of The Eagles Peaks from 8 Mile Gap the day before( 10/12/18). That was well worth it too. I shall post some photos soon.
    T.

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    neilmny, Tanuki, piolet and 2 others like this.
  2. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

How's the Upper Jamieson flowing Mister Tee?
    See any snakes there or along the Howqua?

3. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Black text on dark forum.

Not this again.

Just leave text colour alone. I like your reports but gee it is hard to read them.

skifree and Telemark Phat like this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I have not done anything to the text or the background. I have just typed the words without any formatting changes. I think I ran over a black snake in my Tee Mobile driving up and out of the Jamieson valley along Brock's road. The Upper Jamieson River is flowing well. I went for a swim at a spot where I could not touch the bottom on the river with my aching feet. The Ford at the Upper Jamieson hut access track is knee deep: Boots off and tied around my neck , gaiters on my wrists like bangles, walking poles for balance. No leeches .Clear Creek is flowing well too.

Tanuki and Edgecrusher like this.
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

10.10.18. The southern Knoll of the Eagles Peak. Grand views of the Vic. Alps and very clear weather.
    It was rather steep and slippery going up and down that track but I did it, I made it to the top!

neilmny, piolet, telecrag and 2 others like this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mt. McDonald (1620 M. ) as seen from the Eagles peak( 1450 M. approx. ). Glenn Van Der Thingy's book "Bushwalks in The Victorian Alps" is interesting but it was published in 2004 and much of it is now out of date. Many tracks don't exist anymore or they are purely routes for masochists who view actual walking tracks in the bush as being for soft boy thingies.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Bluff as seen from the Eagles peak walking track. In the far distance I could see Mt. Buggery.10.10.18. Descending on slippery steep shale involved some backwards crab crawling.

neilmny, piolet, telecrag and 2 others like this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

"Square top" ( on the left with the steep ribs of rock) and the Upper Jamieson Valley as seen from the Eagle's Peak.

piolet, Snowy Joey and Seth like this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mt. Buller and Mt. Stirling as seen from the Eagles peak.

piolet, Snowy Joey and Edgecrusher like this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Upper Jamieson River near my campsite on 10.10.18. It just happened to have a swimming hole in it , handy for the weary walker to plunge into after tackling The Nobs on 11.12.18

neilmny, piolet, skifree and 3 others like this.
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

How is the serenity? Melbourne can frazzle me. I need my bush fix!.
    Since getting the Tee Mobile and a chainsaw I can now explore the Upper Jamieson river area's walking/camping options with confidence in terms of access by a suitable vehicle.

12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The All Terrain Tyres make a big difference to how the Tee Mobile Handles dirt roads, steep rocky or muddy tracks and creek crossings etc..

piolet and Snowy Joey like this.
  13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Upper Jamieson Hut river Ford. Very peaceful .

neilmny, Tanuki, piolet and 2 others like this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Upper Jamieson River Hut.

piolet, Snowy Joey and Edgecrusher like this.
  15. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

River’s running a bit high there but still looks sweet to flick the fly around in. The stretch up from the hut upstream to where the road now fords the river (it used to have a newish bridge) is beautiful to fish. Trout generally abundant

Chaeron likes this.
  16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Going up the Nobs 4 x 4 track was relentless. I didn't take many photos. I had enough to contend with. It rises almost 700 M. straight up in 2.5 kms. How does a vehicle go up or down this track? . It is nuts. There were plenty of signs of Toyota Hi Luxes and Ford Rangers etc. bottoming out & scraping their axles.

Seth, neilmny, piolet and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I got to the top of the range and found the AAWT foot pad up to the Nobs summit. Timbertop school left a bottle with a booklet inside it. That shows that the students do walk this part of the AAWT. It was time for lunch , a cool drink of water and a rest. That took about 2 hours to travel about 2 kms !

Seth, neilmny, piolet and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It was a nice spot for a rest. The view of Mt . McDonald was enticing. That will have to be something to do next spring, visiting Via the Nobs Track and skipping the Nobs summit. It seems doable with a day pack with a dawn start in Nov. , esp. when you have longer days . Going up and esp. down :-0 the Nobs track is not something I want to do often.

Seth, neilmny and Snowy Joey like this.
  19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Bluff seemed to loom large too. Early Summer Wild flowers were showing off too.

Tanuki and piolet like this.
  20. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Eagles Peaks is one of those of those hugely rewarding mountains that is often overlooked because it's not that high, but I'm pleased Mr T liked it.

If you are looking for leeches, try the Frys Hut to Upper Jamieson Hut track that goes up Lickhole Creek and over Mt Darling (with an optional precipitous sidetrip to Eagles Peaks). I haven't done it for a while, so unsure if the track is still negotiable, but if it is, you will find plenty of the leeches you were looking for there, although fording the Jamieson can be a bit tricky on that route unless the river is low.

Chaeron, piolet and skifree like this.
  21. Snowy Joey

Snowy Joey One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Haven't been to that upper jamison area in over 15 years. Beautiful area.

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Lick hole track is closed. Signage at the Upper Jamieson Hut area notifies would be leech lovers of this matter. It is reportedly very overgrown and probably won't be recut again. Another track lost to PV.'s tiny budget.

23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

There seemed to be enough of these markers to keep on the right route broadly speaking,up to the top of the Nobs .
    One imagines that today's thought police would find a name such as THE NOBS too phallocentric to be Politically correct. Well they can go to Mt. Buggery! .

neilmny, piolet and Seth like this.
  25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Possibly the best snow gum I spotted on my solo trip up the Nobs and in the area overall . It is quite a specimen of the E. Pauciflora.

neilmny, Tanuki, piolet and 1 other person like this.
  26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I did not go over to the lesser of the twin Nobs. The views from the main one (1496 M. ) were sufficient for me.

Seth likes this.
  28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Looking towards Mt. Clear and the AAWT as it winds its way towards Mt.Howitt, the Cross Cut saw and onto the Barry Mountains.

piolet and Seth like this.
  30. Seth

31. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Bears want to know how they get hold of those yellow triangular markers ....whom do we contact?Just yellow or orange no writing necessary!

32. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Are you sure it’s not in the engine bay trying to work it’s way into the cabin through the firewall!
    Splendid pics to look at while holed up at work during the inclement weather prevailing !
    Where is the correspondent being sent too next?
    Perhaps the politically charged environment of the FHAW ?Another report from a feature involving “knobs”. Maybe the area of environmental concern..namely High Knob!‍♂️

33. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Inside the Upper Jamieson Hut. It has no log book nor does The Timbertop school keep a log book in a bottle there . Later this month ,I will be hiking up towards Mt. Clear via the MVO track that goes up the Clear Creek track up onto the range. I have not been up there before. It could be full of fallen trees and hideous bushfire regrowth until it hits the snow gums area. Forum member THOMAS WHITESIDE went up that way in 2017. I wonder if he can shed some light on the matter.

34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

More views from the higher of the two NOBS summits. I don't know why I didn't clamber over and suss out the view from the other NOB. It seems like the person who named this area liked Derek and Clive. It will be there next time so that means each trip I do leads to doing more because I can't do everything on each trip and I discover new things that warrant further exploration.

35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Dead snow gums on the slopes of the NOBS. There were a few decent campsites on the way up/ down from the 4 x 4 NOBS track .There is no water source at these makeshift camp sites.

36. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The S T E E P descent back down the NOBS track was slow going. Sections of it were tackled by crab crawling backwards , such were the slippery shale, loose rocks and steep terrain.

37. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Why are people so unkind? ;-P

Seth, Tanuki and piolet like this.
  38. Mister Tee on XC Skis

39. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It was murder on my knees and feet but at least I was not pushing through an impenetrable jungle . I nearly took a tumble but using hiking poles made things better. It took 2 hours to descend 2.5 kms!.

Seth and piolet like this.
  40. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Driving out of the Upper Jamieson valley , over 8 Mile Gap, I found that some good person with a BIG bar on their chain saw had cut this log that was on Brocks Rd. I saw a wild pig, a wild dog running down Brock's Rd. , a deer??,rabbits a plenty. The feral animals every bleeding where!

#40 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  41. iGlenn

iGlenn Hard Yards

Good photos - thanks. Have done both those walks over the last couple of months.

Jamieson river, up Nobs and eventually over the other side of Mt Clear to the camp as per the book was a pretty long day in late Autumn. Nobs Tk is way easier in the car btw!!! ;)

Track into Mt Clear from King Billy should be pretty good. There have been quite a few vehicles out that way pretty recently (some legit PV, others less so), so there might be some trees across the track from winter but certainly better than it was 5-10 years ago.

Chaeron likes this.
  42. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Hi. How easy is it to find the water near the suggested Camp site on the upper section of the Mt. Clear/ Clear Creek track?. I can use a map and compass and have a good sense of direction. I need to be self reliant because I do walk and XC ski solo 50% of the time at least.

43. iGlenn

iGlenn Hard Yards

Water was not a problem when we were there. There was water in soaks not far from the summit of Mt Clear so filled up there, but it was flowing likewise at Clear Creek. Not sure what it would be like around Christmas, its generally pretty dry up there - although having said that Camp Ck at Mt Speculation 2 weekends ago was plentiful, as well as many other gullies.

Chaeron likes this.
  44. iGlenn

iGlenn Hard Yards

From the campsite it is really obvious. There is a downhill path heading south(?) from the campsite. Maybe 200 metres down...

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  45. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Thanks. The heavy rain today in the NE of VIC will top up the ground water and keep soaks and trickles going until the end of Dec. 2018, I hope.

Chaeron likes this.
  46. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

47. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Hey Seth, it all looks normal to me.........black text on a light grey background???????
    I am using the forum light version??????

48. Seth

Flick to the dark set up.