1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

The Future At Selwyn

Discussion in 'Selwyn' started by Acav, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Acav

Acav Hard Yards

Does anyone know what the future development plans are for selwyn. I know that they talk about a 5 year development plan but does anyone know what that entails?

2. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

I so don't get Selwyn. Why does it exist? I mean what specific reason which differentiates it from other resorts. Normally 'location' is a valid reason for a resort's existence but Selwyn is in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest towns are practically ghost towns (maybe a bit harsh...).

Was it proposed and developed as part of the 'year round holiday makers paradise' which was supposed to arise out of the flooding of the Eucumbene?

3. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

Turning New Chum bowl into an extreme skiing area.

#3 BigWaveDave, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  4. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

I thought a prerequisite of a ski area was to have a decent hill, and some reliable snow.

FAIL

5. wangster

wangster A Local

Have you ever been there?

It has to be the most family friendly ski area I have ever been to. There's an atmosphere up there when it's busy that you just don't get anywhere else. No pretentious wannabes, no hardcore skiers scaring the beginners because there's nothing hardcore about the place, smiles all round.

It's also cheap when compared to Perisher and Thredbo so for newbies and families that can't justify a super expensive ski holiday it's the perfect option.

As for their future, apparently their lease area is significantly larger than what they currently use and the unused portion includes some good, proper intermediate terrain. I vaguely recall talk of them planning on using the old Township t-bar to add another lift and expand into the new terrain.... but don't quote me on that because it may have just been a rumour.

I like Selwyn, I like the way they do things and I hope they keep going strong.

#5 wangster, Sep 16, 2010
  6. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Your post.
    Fail

Selwyn serves a need, much like smiggs IMO
    its a great family orientated resort thats perfect for kids and adults learning and progressing.
    It has some fun terrain.
    It has great staff.
    It gets snow..and can on odd occasions get more than anywhere else.
    It has potentail to be expanded. Check the topo map.

#6 Donza, Sep 16, 2010
  7. D_Dog

D_Dog Hard Yards

i heard that selwyn was originally built to help adaminaby's economy. When lake eucumbene was flooded the town had a choice to move to the highway or beside the lake. They chose the highway and subsequently they lost the tourist trade as the town had nothing going for it eg: watersports. Jindabyne had the same choice when lake jindabyne was flooded and chose to stay beside the lake, granted it was an easier choice for Jindabyne.

8. Donza

Donza Pool Room

9. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Yeah yeah, it's got all that, but why there? Why not 'around the corner from Smiggins' for example. That is, a location that is just as high or higher, still self contained so that it retains all the family ambience you celebrate, but in a much more convenient and servicable location.

Danski's comment attests to my suspicions that it was a consolation prize for the Eucumbene development.

I'd rip up the infrastructure, chuck it on the back of a truck (Old Adaminaby/Jindabyne style) and move it somewhere more sensible.

#9 Wardy, Sep 16, 2010
  10. wangster

wangster A Local

There's ski resorts in the middle of nowhere all over the world and they all serve a purpose

11. Donza

Donza Pool Room

The thing thats unique about Selwyn is its location IMO.
    Its far enough away that its not a poor cousin to Perisher etc. If it was near I reckon it would suffer. Its a destination.

Plus we have buckleys to next to nothing of ever seeing another resort get built in this country.

oh and I skied knee deep fresh at Selwyn in 1991.

#11 Donza, Sep 16, 2010
  12. D_Dog

D_Dog Hard Yards

but i think the point that wardy is trying to make is that there are heaps of good undeveloped areas in the mountains (eg twin vallys, other hills around perisher, area around dead horse gap) but they built a resort at mt selwyn.

why they did that is because adaminaby was not doing well and after being flooded by a lake they demanded something to help their economy.

all those other areas didnt get developed because the rising powers of the NPWS has stopped any new ski areas since then, much to the detriment of the region, but its ok cause a few trees have been saved.

13. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Not really.

In the 1960's there were a dozen ski lifts scattered around the nearby area on various hills, but only Kiandra and Cabramurra had more than one lift. The rest were strung out in all directions and operated by clubs. Parks bureaucracy was making life difficult for them all and many of the lifts were on hills without reliable snow. Colin Myers, his friends and family owned a couple of lifts at Kiandra and worked out that Selwyn had better snow, so in the 1960's he obtained a secure lease and gradually moved his lifts over there. Meanwhile all the other lifts closed down except for two which still run at Cabramurra.

Details of the backcountry lifts that used to operate near Selwyn. http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Non_resort_rope_tows#New_South_Wales
    List of past and present lifts at Selwyn. http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Australian_ski_tow_directory#Selwyn_Snowfields

#13 Bogong, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  14. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Intriguing. And yet still largely pointless...

I've got nothing against the place per se. But I do have friends who wanted to try skiing for the first time this year and are heading down this weekend. I suggested Jindabyne for a base but someone else convinced them of Selwyn for its great family qualities and now the poor people are staying in Talbingo and driving (60km's!) up to Selwyn every day for 3 days for their first ever experience of snow (or lack of it..). They'll never go back again!

15. wangster

wangster A Local

Staying in Talbingo is pushing it a bit! Adaminaby is closer, and an easier drive.

I've heard there's still plenty of snow up there and absolutely NO ONE around, we're talking 10 people on the mountain

16. Dazz

Dazz First Runs

Selwyn regularly has early season snow. In the July holidays, it is not uncommon for Selwyn to have more snow than Perisher.

I stay at Adaminaby and so drive the 40kms to Selwyn. When I stay in Jindabyne, I drive the 30 kilometres (on a slower road, including past the Thredbo turn off) to Perisher. Same same. Never had a problem with parking at Selwyn. At Perisher, I feel compelled to be on the snow at 8:30 or risk not getting a park.

At Selwyn, my son and I pay a total of $85 for our lift tickets. At Perisher (or even just Smiggins Holes), I would be paying $165. There is plenty of skiable terrain to get my son skiing ... he doesn't need to be flying off Mt Perisher just yet. When he longer qualifies for the $10 ticket, his ability will probably have outgrown Selwyn and we will both go and ski somewhere else.

For me, going to Selwyn is a no-brainer. It is not an amazing "ski" experience for me, but it is a very good value for money family ski experience.

17. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure staying at Talbingo and skiing Selwyn in mid September is putting Selwyn in its best light.

For what it is I think Selwyn does brilliantly! To be honest if you took snow conditions at each resort this year compared to what the normally get, I think Selwyn has had the best season cause of their ability to open on so little natural snow and the good snowmaking conditions early on.

#17 BlueHue, Sep 16, 2010
  18. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Bogong, what are these 2 Cabramurra lifts that still run? What kind of terrain do they access? What altitude are they at?

19. avinet

avinet First Runs

Adaminaby was moved to its present location in 1957, while Selwyn essentially became established in 1978, apart from a small rope tow set up in 1966. Its establishment had nothing to do with Adaminaby, but happened because snow around Kiandra was becoming increasingly unreliable, and Selwyn had better cover, being a bit higher.

I never really skied seriously at Selwyn, in the 70's it was Thredbo and Guthega for me, but by the early 80's I used to tour towards Happy Jacks and Jagungal out from Selwyn occasionally. Just a couple of times in the mid 80's I took my then young daughters there for learn to ski trips and it was ideal for that, and still is by the sounds of it.

20. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Cin, the existing Cabramurra lifts are a long(ish) Poma and a handle tow. You can see one of them from the road and it looks like a blue graded run. I did this research a while ago, so I'm a bit rusty, Craig D (on this forum) once did a survey of sites of the old lifts in the area and he may know a bit more, but finding an old timer with an intact memory would be the best way to find out.

The stuff on this link is almost all I know: http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Non_resort_rope_tows#New_South_Wales
    I guess you could also look at maps and Google Earth... [​IMG]

#20 Bogong, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  21. cin

I've never been to Selwyn but from the comments in this other thread linked below, its more than obvious why this place exists, why people enjoy it, and why it should have a good future.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/posts/1094750#Post1094750

CP could learn a couple of lessons from the management at this place.

#21 cin, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  22. cin

Thanks Bogong! [​IMG]

Interesting

#22 cin, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  23. SelwynSnowfields

SelwynSnowfields First Runs

Selwyn exists for a very good reason, we know that our terrain is fairly easy and forgiving and we use that to our utmost advantage. Like a few have said already, we basically target families and first-timers and we're damn good at it. From my 3 or so years on ski.com.au we barely receive any bad comments most people have nothing but praise for our resort and how we operate it. We have the friendliest staff and a non-threatening atmosphere that most people love. Just look at some comments people have left about other resorts (I've been told CP has copped a bad wrap this season). We're happy with how our 2010 season has gone and we believe as always, 2011 we will only top our best once again.

24. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

As several others have said Selwyn's location has nothing to do with Adaminaby. It was as Bogong describes and it is there for those reasons. Just like Thredbo is there because some hydro workers thought it looked like a good spot for a resort. The Myers family thought Selwyn looked like a good spot for a resort - and it is.

Along with everything else said here it also now has some fantastic snow making and amazing summer grooming which means the resort can be 100% open on about 20cm of snow - definitely 30cm and it is 100% open. No other resort can boast that.

Sure their black terrain wouldn't be black anywhere else and some could argue barely past green but so what. For a beginner that spends a week on Front Valley or Friday Flat I would take Selwyn any day over that!

The atmosphere is fantastic for beginners/family and we have taken young kids and beginner families there on a number of occasions and they have absolutely loved it. Never a negative word about the place.

As for staying at Talbingo - that isn't the resorts fault. I have friends that stayed at Tumut this year and skiied there and I said to them WTF?? They agreed it was too far and a bad choice after the fact - something I told them when they told me they booked it.

Same could be said if someone said they had booked Khancoban to ski at Thredbo of Bredbo to ski at Perisher. Not the resorts fault someone books somewhere silly to base themself.

25. D_Dog

D_Dog Hard Yards

anyway, enough with the past, do you have any info on summer developments for 2011 or beyond blinkin?

26. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

I submit that Selwyn would benefit greatly from some 'eco' style accommodation. Say a few dozen 'lodges' and self contained cabins scattered sensitively around the precinct which would accommodate families, school groups etc, and upgrade the facilities to include a convenience store in the manner of Thredbo's supermarket, though maybe not quite as big.

You could then run it all year round as it's also a great summer destination with fly fishing in the rivers nearby, water sports on the beautiful Three Mile Dam adjacent to Selwyn, a short drive to Yarrangobilly caves, historic Kiandra just down the road, some great old huts in the area with all their history, the stunning Blue Waterholes area not far away, beautiful walks, horseriding, etc. Hell you could even cut a 'links' style nine hole golf course.

The right development, sensitively handled, would also give a great boost to towns like Adaminaby which I've watched die a slow death over the last 20 yrs.

Sadly, because of our draconian attitude to national parks, the merit of these ideas, and the huge net benefit, at little or no cost to the environment, is never even considered.

27. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Wardy - you are spot on there.

It would be of HUGE benefit to Selwyn and also in my mind to the park as a whole in that area but Selwyns lease prohibits commercial accom there and the draconian Parks will not allow any such developments which seems counter to what Parks should be about to me.

28. D_Dog

D_Dog Hard Yards

is there anything that can be done about Parks, are they indipendent of government or can pollies overide decisions. even if Parks unclenched just a little bit it would be better for all involved.

29. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Selwyn was the site of my first tele turns in a resort. Leather boots, skinny pattern bases, we did a "black" run first day. Priceless. Moved on to the other resorts after that, but I have no problem going and skiing Selwyn again, great place for introducing people to the sport, they dont get freaked out by the lifts, or feel that they are only a breath away from plunging to their death down a big hill.

Havent been for a couple of years, toilets could be improved?

#29 telecrag, Sep 17, 2010
  30. Mogul

Mogul One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

I remember spending a day at Selwyn many years ago to try snowboarding and found the resort as a whole very family and beginer friendly.

Over easter this year spent a week camping at Anglers Reach. Did a day with the family to Cabramurra, Caves, etc. and drove into Selwyn to show the family.

There were a few people camping at Three Mile Dam. There is a lot to do in the area over the summer and autumn months. There was actually quite a lot of people (tourists) around.

With some marketing and advertising they should look at opening the kiosk during the off season or even upgrading it to more of restaurant feel. We certainly would've had lunch there.

The only problem with putting accomodation there is the rest of the infrastructure needed to support it, shops, bar, restaurants, etc. 'Eco' type accomodation wouldn't fit with the demographic that Selwyn is trying to attract. Maybe they would be better setting up something like "The Station Resort" at Adaminiby with shuttle buses up to the resort. That way you have existing infrastructure to tap into, cost effective and you have a facility that is more likely to be used year round.

31. wangster

wangster A Local

A little bird told me they were removing the old pit toilets. I must admit I forgot about that - the stench was incredible the last time I was there.

I must've buried the experience deep in my subconscious, bottled it up forever. I'll have nightmares tonight thanks to you!

#31 wangster, Sep 17, 2010
  32. SelwynSnowfields

SelwynSnowfields First Runs

With regards to 'eco' friendly accommodation, bars, supermarkets ect.. to bring more business not only during winter but during summer really is a great dream... but still only a dream, not only is the parks a big problem with that happening you have to remember Selwyn is privately owned. Money is a big issue.

Mr Clivus Moltrem (drop dunnies) is a long-term resident at Selwyn, he works harder than any other employee on the mountain, people give him [auto-censor] all day long and he just does his job and takes it, he never complains. But yes, there have been rumours that he will be sacked, but they are still just rumours. I don't have any official word yet but over summer any news I get in regards to improvements, developments or anything like that I will post on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

33. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Like others have mentioned, I was very impressed with the summer slope grooming at Selwyn! My one and only visit to Selwyn ( I'm from southern Vic and travelling interstate to ski is not a very practical option for me) was in a fairly ordinary year. Some snow had fallen the night before and I estimate that there was only about 15cm cover but the days skiing was superb with continuous cover top to bottom. Full marks!