1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report The Hermannator has landed

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Hermannator, Feb 14, 2020 at 5:25 PM.

1. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

There’s a few ski.com.au crew in Japan it seems... I thought I’d try a TR - it’s probably not going to be up to the level of others but I’ll try to make it interesting.

LMB, Born2skii, Ramenman and 3 others like this.
  2. Slappanator

Slappanator First Runs

where you headed Hermannator?

3. Hermannator

So I left MEL on JAL early this morning. Being a night flight I hardly had to use the in-flight entertainment, but when I went searching through the audio I found the offerings a bit drab. Found the sweet spot in ‘90s but even then - ,mmm bop? You’re f$@king joking! Did enjoy a bit of Lenny Kravitz with ‘fly away’ - fitting I suppose. By the time I got to the chess, I was hopelessly outclassed. I’ll put that down to it being at 5am I s’pose. Flight went smoothly- that 787 with 2-4-2 seating really is a treat. And the food? By airline standards I thought it was really good. And proper local Asahi beer.

LMB, Normo, dawooduck and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hermannator

So for me this is day 1 of 17, where Myoko, Tsugaike, and Niseko are on the itinerary. Between Tsugiake and niseko I’m going to check out somewhere new, but this hasn’t been decided. Thinking Tenjin, Nozawa, Arai.

Continuing on, the flight concluded on time and customs and immigration seemed to run a lot more smoothly than I remember it being a year ago. Touchdown at 08:25, aboard the 09:48 N’ex after getting my 5 day JR east Nagano pass sorted. Oh and the oversized bags were waiting when I cleared customs. Efficient!

I rolled into town and ditched my bags at the JR East bag storage in Tokyo for the grand sun of 1200Y. Worth it. Couldn’t find any ‘street foody’ type places so headed to Akihabara. Found an awesome ramen and beer for 1300 - was the only gaijin there. Did some quick shopping at Kanda (the ski shop area), then cbf walking back to the JR station. Got the subway back.

Took a couple of snaps at Tokyo Station. Last time it was under construction and I didn’t see it. Looks really good:

Apparently there’s some kind of sporting event coming up:

The day’s pretty much done so off to Myoko on the Asama 617... could do with an onsen...

LMB, Born2skii, fennekeg and 9 others like this.
  5. Hermannator

:eek::eek:Today (15 feb): Nothing to write home about. So warm I was sweating bullets. If you thought it was humid in Melbourne....
    Misty this morning but became a nice weather day:

1st pic looking at Madarao, 2nd adjacent to Mt Myoko.

Honestly though, conditions measurable on a scale of one to shit :eek:

skifree and LMB like this.
  6. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

7. chrisj

chrisj One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'm arriving at Madarao today. You still there?