The highest tree in Australia thread...

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
The highest habitating tree in mainland Australia.

Continue.

TheBigJ said:
VSG said:
stansi said:
scan001001.jpg

Just a quick aside... where would Australia's highest trees live? Mt Guthrie? (vegetation colours on this map prompted me..)

Interesting question VSG. These trees struggling to come back are on the SW ridge running down from Jagungal above the head of the Tumut River.

I'm sure they would be well above 1900m. For Hongo-fans, I couldn't find a shirtless pic ... :)

Tim111 said:
Hey VSG he already did indicate where he is.

I think the trees on Gungarten might be around the same altitude, they would have to be above 1900m.

c371ec2c.jpg

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>The oft quoted record [Tree, highest, Australian mainland ] is on the side of Mont Perisherrrr. . On the north east flank above 1950m. Others say to the NW. 36° 24' 35.34" S 148° 23' 15.72" E Marked on some olde maps.
But the Guthrie Mont due N or Charlotte Pass is close, methinks. A range of possibilities, including the Jagungal... click here... http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/VSGCanberra/treesaroundnswmainrange.jpg </span>

and some fellow.. might want to indicate where he and his friendly gum... are.

jagungggaallll.jpg

On with the show... a picture from the 'Strom is needed.

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>The oft quoted record [Tree, highest, Australian mainland ] is on the side of Mont Perisherrrr. . On the north east flank above 1950m. Others say to the NW. 36° 24' 35.34" S 148° 23' 15.72" E Marked on some olde maps.
But the Guthrie Mont due N or Charlotte Pass is close, methinks. A range of possibilities, including the Jagungal... click here... http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/VSGCanberra/treesaroundnswmainrange.jpg </span>

and some fellow.. might want to indicate where he and his friendly gum... are.

jagungggaallll.jpg

On with the show...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBigJ

Hard Yards
Aug 13, 2009
Canberra, ACT
Thanks VSG. Interesting thread I think, and yes, those Perisher trees are going to be hard to beat.

I've often looked at the trees as they peter out on summits and thought about the tough individual that lives higher than her neighbours. Will tag and photograph the Jagungal trees when next there.

d798c0a4.jpg

choc

One of Us
Jan 17, 2004
There's a small tree near the top of Karels T bar, probably about level with the top station and around 100m to the SSW.

TheBigJ

Hard Yards
Aug 13, 2009
Canberra, ACT
Majikthise said:
Define tree?

Fair point, but I think any E. pauciflora individual of reasonable (how long's a piece of string?) maturity would suffice?

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Dunno, but I've been privy to some bush up pretty high.

Anyway, I reckon Majik asks 'cause the little shrubby things are around 40-60 years old quite often and are sorta stunted trees. And pauciflora quite regulalry get to about top of the shrub/grass height before getting frozenated to death. So, a mature pauciflora is what we're chasing ?

frazels

One of Us
Jul 9, 2005
Melbourne
pub_1964.jpg

There's a few other ones near the cafe, but that one behind the pub on the right?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
climberman said:
Dunno, but I've been privy to some bush up pretty high.

Anyway, I reckon Majik asks 'cause the little shrubby things are around 40-60 years old quite often and are sorta stunted trees. And pauciflora quite regulalry get to about top of the shrub/grass height before getting frozenated to death. So, a mature pauciflora is what we're chasing ?

That alpine plum thing... *must google for real name* is not in the game... just snow gums. pauciflora.

mholling

One of Us
Aug 3, 2006
ACT
I'd also be looking around Mt Gungartan and the Kerries. It gets up to 2050 or so around there, with some pretty lonely trees up near the tops there.

Nordic Skier

Hard Yards
Aug 26, 2008
Mount Beauty
Highest tree at 2023-2033 metres ASL at 36deg 24.483min 148deg 23.033min, tucked in a north-westerly rock outcrop 1.12km from Perisher Gap. I've marked it onto Google maps. But happy to entertain other possibilities. I checked aerial photos (six maps) with topo maps. The E.pauciflora is 2 metres high, that's a tree in my book.

legend

One of Us
Aug 22, 2004
lakes entrance
I found a lonely snowgum at approx 2040m on the ridge out to Watsons Crag. It was still a seedling, about 40cm high and seemed to be in good health last December. I think the seed was wind carried after the 2003 fires.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass