1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

the ideal tele package

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by leebee, Aug 23, 2005.

1. leebee

leebee First Runs

the ideal tele package

Want some ideas on a tele package.

Wanting to break into some backcountry tele gear. Currently have lightweight (pack) touring gear and DH ski gear. Have skied Bogong a few times and can tele with the light weight gearin most snow cond.

Want to be able to ski Bogong, Feathertop and play at resorts. Any thoughts on what is a good package from local Aust retail.

Can't afford to buy new at once - are boots the priority? Then one can hire the rest?

2. gusc

gusc Hard Yards

Re: the ideal tele package

Try searching the forums for something like "telemark gear" - there've been quite a few discussions on this topic.

e.g. here

I'd think about a middle of the road plastic boot like Scarpa T2s or Garmont Veloce (if they still make them - have they been superseded?) Balance of control and walk/tourable-ness.

Actually, re-reading your post, perhaps you're thinking of something heavier? i.e. you already have touring gear and want something to really crank turns and ski the lifts. I think lots here would agree that 1 package doesn't really cover everything.

Might be able to pick up any or all gear second hand. Depends on how it fits (boots) & condition. An instructor pointed out to me once that good boots make it easier to drive whatever ski they're on top of, so perhaps investing away from the cow (=plastic boots) will get the best of what you're after.

Hope that helps

#2 gusc, Aug 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  3. telemarx

telemarx A Local

Damn straight! Gear mania is what it's all about :thumbs:
    The Scarpa T2X looks the goods for a compromise boot.

#3 telemarx, Aug 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  4. Ro

Ro First Runs

Im in Crispi CXP's which are equivalent to T2's, If youre in canberra Ide try the outdoors world in phillip, bargains going there on unused rental gear, but it sounds like your in Vic so other deal tips I have for nsw are prob of little value, Rythem in cooma also do good deals on ex rental thats usually in great nic. Dont go less than T2's cxp, veloce in boot height for what you want to do. Dont listen too hard to all the gear freaks, grab a cheap pair of alpine skis if youve already got them and whack some tele bindings on them. Better to be on the snow saving money from not hiring than sitting around dreaming.

5. tibia

tibia First Runs

I've got T2's. They're great for touring, and are pretty good for resort aswell. I'd ideally like t1's or something similar for resorts, but...$$
    One good thing about T2's or Veloce's is that they don't overpower a light ski, if that's what you've got.

6. Mr Bent Knee

Mr Bent Knee First Runs

My T1's do it all.

7. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Except flexing to allow a telemark movement.

8. Mr Bent Knee

Mr Bent Knee First Runs

My 85 kilo's and supurb techique and wise binding choice make flexing the bellow on a T1 child's play.

They are too flexy for ice climbing.

9. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

Im also looking at a 2nd setup for next year. Allready have t3's/boundless and love them.

Im looking at a pair of K2 work stinx. I have a pair of T1 Race which will obviously be ok in a resort but I dont know whether my T3's will be able to handle the K2's? Should I sell both boots and get T2X's or Garmont Energys, (but they will probably rip my bindings off my boundless)or just replace my T3's.

Will a T2x or similar be the best for K2 work stinx?

I normally spend 100% of my time in the back country but due to impending fartherhood will be forced to resort next year.

Suggestions?

10. Mr Bent Knee

Mr Bent Knee First Runs

T2, CXP or Synergy.

11. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture Moderator

I'd definitely reccomend against touring in Garmont EneryG's [​IMG] One thing I would have to say is that a pair of light skis and bindings do make a difference. So something like Garmont Veloce's should do the job, some G3 bindings and lighter skis like BD havocs or nunyos should do the job.

I recently had the chance to ski some black diamond skis, and I'd have to say the really do bite the big one on ice. New must have pair of skis for me is a pair of piste pipes - they are a bundle of fun.

#11 Yardsale, Aug 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  12. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

Yardsale, what would piste pipes be like in the BC?

13. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

Opps ment to synerg

14. Yardsale

Synerg's are supposed to be half way between EnerG's and Veloce's. The flex on the bellows was a lot softer when I tried them out and the liners are a little more padded. I reckon you'd cope, but I reckon you would be a lot happier in something softer.

Really I think it depends on how much walking vs how much skiing you are going to do. I spent last year in garmont velcoe's in the resort, and they drove a pair of alpine skis and hardwire bindings quite happily. I've found the different between a resort oriented boot and a dual purpose boot to be just the degree of control and the how gently you can ski them.

As for piste pipes in the BC... I think they would be a bit interesting. The ones I was demoing had the bindings mounted a little further forward than my normal skiis, the DB and the K2 work stinx. Having said that, they have the snow-board like insert pattern, so you could mount them up further back if it suited you :)

15. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

Maybe i will just use my T3/outabounds as is and T1 race with new skis. I realize they will be a bit heavy but I would only use them at Feathertop or Bogong type ares were there is not much touring.

16. leebee

leebee First Runs

Thanks all for your advice on this topic.

A lot to think about it but obviously the boots are a key element - and subject of much debate and personal opinion.

Scarpa T2s or Garmont Veloce sound like the style that would suit - as I believe in being able to walk in the boots.Heavier gear would seem to limit me more to resort.

Thanks once again. Leigh

17. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Hmmmm.

I own a pair of Garmont Veloces, A pair of Syner-G, and a pair of Ener-G. I use the Ener-G for everything nowadays, including touring on my Fischer Boundless, and Steeps on my Karhu Kaks. In tour mode with the top buckles on the orange hooks they are comfy to walk in, and of course the control upon descent is great.

I weighed all 3 recently on an accurate set of scales. The Veloce was the heaviest of the 3 (perhaps due to the heavy non thermo-moulded liner) the Ener-G and the Syner-G weighed exactly the same. The Ener-G is a size smaller than the Syner-G (The reason for buying the Ener-G was that the Syner-G i owned were simply too big).

#17 telemark fred, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  18. Yardsale

Never actually chucked mine on the scales. Well, if they are ok for touring, then I think my veloce's are going to just gather dust as well.

19. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

tf- the Energy is the biggest one yeah? If this is so there would be no chance that the Synergy would rip bindings off the boundless as you would have done this a while ago. Solves my problem, Synergys for both setups.

20. tibia

tibia First Runs

as for piste pipes - haven't personally used them BC, but been touring with friends who swear by them.
    I wouldn't recommend the BD crossbows - used these for a while before changing to K2 she's pistes - a hundred times more fun!
    nb. BD make their skis in the atomic factory and have a reputation of blowing out edges very easily.

21. Mr Bent Knee

Mr Bent Knee First Runs

BD Crossbows need to be skied hard. They are a very stiff ski and since they hard a fair bit of meat (80mm) underfoot, this can exacerbate the problem for lighter and less aggressive skiers. I reckon they are a top ski for mid winter at Hotham...or spring.

Piste Pipes are a top ski...way ugly like all K2's but they have a linear flex unlike other twinies such as Tweaks etc...they are close to a Big Stix 80......

Enough rambling...

-Bongon Jack-

22. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Ah - but I am only a weedy little bloke, and timid too.

OK - I'm not all that timid (though not crazy aggressive either), but I do weigh only 62kg...

#22 telemark fred, Aug 30, 2005
  23. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Bong-on?? Are you trying to tell us something Bogong Jack?

#23 telemark fred, Aug 30, 2005
  24. Mr Bent Knee

Mr Bent Knee First Runs

No.