Japan The Japanese snow season 2020-2021 Weather

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
"南低"(Pacific lows) tend to pull in cold air from the north (whereas SOJ lows suck up warm air from the south), so I don't think freeze levels should be overly high, therefore I would guess your mountains would get a decent snowfall. But the forecast lows for the weekend seem quite (very?) high for a midwinter 南低, so not sure quite what to expect...

By the way, Tenki.jp is forecasting mega snowfall at a ski resort in Tsumagoi on coming Sunday (24th), which means your place might get abnormal amount of snow;) (I usually don't trust their snowfall forecast much, though)

Reactions: Asama

Lonepeak

Addicted
Dec 7, 2017
Okinawa, Japan
What do you experts predict for Akita next week? Is rain still likely?

I need to decide within a couple days if I extend my current Tohoku trip to January 30th (for Ani, Tazawako, maybe others). I would like to do a 2nd week, but rain would be a downer.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
What do you experts predict for Akita next week? Is rain still likely?

I need to decide within a couple days if I extend my current Tohoku trip to January 30th (for Ani, Tazawako, maybe others). I would like to do a 2nd week, but rain would be a downer.

This is from a local weather website on Ani ski resort. If the forecast of the website is accurate, cold enough to snow.
ani.PNG

Reactions: Lonepeak

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
NW Gunma, Japan 1100m asl
By the way, Tenki.jp is forecasting mega snowfall at a ski resort in Tsumagoi on coming Sunday (24th), which means your place might get abnormal amount of snow;) (I usually don't trust their snowfall forecast much, though)
Would be cool, but I share your distrust of their forecast.
I think we will get a lot of something, the question is what altitude the snow line will be. Could make the difference between being buried or having all our base snow stripped away.

Reactions: Ramenman

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Whiteout caused some car accidents yesterday.

Whiteout sometimes happens in Inawashiro too including yesterday. The snow on the rice fields are blown away and the visibility becomes nearly zero. There are rice fields between Lake Inawashiro and ski resorts. Highway and train lines are running there too. The highway was closed yesterday.
a0165704_1127134.jpg

Reactions: ojisan

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
That low on Sunday looks like delivering some decent snow, but there looks like there could be rain before hand.

Looking further ahead, something tasty is brewing next Friday (29th)

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Tenki.jp has "mountain forecast" as well (only 4 days, though). It's the forecast on Mt.Adatara, the easternmost ski resort mountain of Aizu region. When 南岸低気圧 (Pacific Low) comes, the mountain often has mega snowfall. And local weather websites forecast mega snowfall on Sunda y and Monday (especially Monday). The base altitude of Minowa ski resort is 1000m asl, and if the forecast is accurate enough, it's cold enough snow on ski slopes, not rain (but again, I don't trust the website much:p)
Mt.Adatara.PNG

I like this mountain hut on Mt.Adatara.
I think any snow will be on the wet side..

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Whiteout caused some car accidents yesterday.

Whiteout sometimes happens in Inawashiro too including yesterday. The snow on the rice fields are blown away and the visibility becomes nearly zero. There are rice fields between Lake Inawashiro and ski resorts. Highway and train lines are running there too. The highway was closed yesterday.
a0165704_1127134.jpg

Yesterday. The lowest altitude of the region between Lake Inawashiro and ski resorts. Fresh snow on rice fields + High wind = Whiteout.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
The latest weather forecast on 24th's morning - before noon - after noon - evening. As the latest weather forecast issued, the temperature became lower and more areas have snow forecast now. Bottom ones = 24th's afternoon and evening and Mt.Adatara & Minowa have snow in the forecast. I'm curious how much of snow they get on 24th and 25th. Katashina village, Gunma Pref also might get a big snowfall due to the Pacific Low coming (I'm not a weather expert at all, though). I like Katashian region too.
W.PNG

These videos were filmed at Minowa ski resort, Aizu region, Fukushima Pref and I think they were filmed after a Pacific Low hit in 2014.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Since 6 hours ago or so, some weather stations in northern Akita have been showing big precipitation. Ani ski resort might have got a lot of snow tonight already. Edit: Might be a little bit too warm to snow at the bottom of ski resorts, though.
202010-0000-pf0500-20210122000000 (1).gif

Last edited:

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
This weekend low is looking snowier by the hour... rain is limited pretty much to coastal regions in the latest predictions.
NHK also calling "snow" for downtown Tokyo. Guessing sloppy stuff though.

I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas eve...
upload_2021-1-22_15-37-29.png

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
It might be the time for you to start skiing or snowboarding ;) (IIRC, you don't ski nor snowboard, right?)
Right. Actually had been thinking about it as a lot of my friends are out skiing constantly. Might be worth finding out what the fuss is about.

Was really warm today (pushing 10C) so not much snow left on the ground right now. Perfect timing for a top-up.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
29th-31st Jan looking like another solid snowfall dump.
613AF638-80FC-4E26-9B9F-C9B21D00E11A.png

That's what we need now, I mean, past several days were warm and we need some fresh snow now. That said, this season has been good so far in that when we needed some fresh snow on ski slopes, it actually snowed.

David-eTO

Hard Yards
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
The snowdepth of Sukayu, a weather station that JMA has in Aomori pref reached 300cm this morning. Because the altitude and latitude are relatively high, the weather station has the biggest snowdepth around March 7 - 10th on average. 2 months to go, and I wonder how much the snowdepth there will grow this season. The snowdepth of Sukayu reached 566cm in 2013.
https://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas_h/today-31482.html?areaCode=000&groupCode=20
I was there March last year 07/03/2020 to 12/03/20200): snow depth 250cm

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Wet snow has started falling 1.5km away from the coastal line of Ibaraki Pref and it's for the first time for me to see snow in Ibaraki Pref this season. Ibaraki's winter is very dry and the coastal line is warm in winter because of the sea water, so snow is very rare here. I'm often not in Ibaraki, so it might have snowed this season before, but anyway, it's rare (and we need to head to Tohoku for the coming powder weekend!)

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Wet snow have started falling 2km away from the coastal line of Ibaraki Pref and it's for the first time for me to see snow in Ibaraki Pref this season. Ibaraki's winter is very dry and the coastal line is warm in winter because of the sea water, so snow is very rare here. I'm often not in Ibaraki, so it might have snowed this season before, but anyway, it's rare (and we need to head to Tohoku for the coming powder weekend!)

IMG_20210128_152906.jpg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
The expressway between Aizu Wakamatsu and Inawashiro / Bandai Kogen has gotten closed due to blizzard.

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
gifu looks like it is doing well at the moment.
shirakawa has had 20cm so far today

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Snowdepth change from yesterday "roughly" (JMA's weather stations, not on ski slopes)

Hinoemata, where there is Takahata ski resort (Fukushima) = +70cm, Nango, where there is Nango ski resort (Fukushima) = +50cm. Yuzawa = +50. Nozawa Onsen = +35cm. Otari = +30cm. Yamagata city's downtown also has had good big snowfall overnight and it means Zao's ski slopes have gotten good snow. Yuda had some snowfall and it means Geto also had good snowfall. Basically, there aren't weather stations close enough to ski slopes in Tohoku, but I'd say most of them have had decent snowfall since yesterday.

Edit: Sekiyama (Myoko) = + 40cm.

Last edited:

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
After a warm damp night and morning, temperature has been dropping like a stone since lunchtime.
Was 6C earlier, has sailed down past the freezing mark now (2.30 pm). Don't think there's any new snow on the way for me here though.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Yesterday = 30cm and Today = 30cm in Aizu region. Frequent 20 - 30cm overnight is what I want:)

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I'm showing this season's December + January snowfall of JMA weather stations compared to average Dec + Jan and last season's Dec + Jan.

The order is "average season" - "last season" - "this season".

Yuzawa (340m asl)
619cm - 121cm - 612cm (Yuzawa had great December this season, but Dec + Jan is just average)

Nozawa Onsen (576m asl)
642cm - 282cm - 562cm (So, this season is a bit worse than average)

Shirakawa (Gifu Pref, 473m asl)
571cm - 50cm - 604cm (This season is almost average and look at how bad the last season was!)

Hijiori (Yamagata Pref, 330m asl)
822cm - 415cm - 781cm (This season is slightly worse than average season)

Yuda (Iwate Pref, 250m asl)
551cm - 303cm - 714cm (Yuda is having a very good season)

Kutchan (Niseko region, 176m asl)
543cm - 365cm - 552cm (Niseko is having a just average season)

Furano (174m asl)
337cm - 232cm - 267cm (Furano is having relatively bad season)

Last season was by far the worst season for most regions of Japan, which makes us feel "this season is good", however it's just average (mid December's mega snowfall helped us ride deep snow from the very beginning of the season, which is veeeeery good, but when it comes to the amount of snowfall of Dec + Jan, this season is just around average).

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
I'm showing this season's December + January snowfall of JMA weather stations compared to average Dec + Jan and last season's Dec + Jan.

The order is "average season" - "last season" - "this season".

Yuzawa (340m asl)
619cm - 121cm - 612cm (Yuzawa had great December this season, but Dec + Jan is just average)

Nozawa Onsen (576m asl)
642cm - 282cm - 562cm (So, this season is a bit worse than average)

Shirakawa (Gifu Pref, 473m als)
571cm - 50cm - 604cm (This season is almost average and look at how bad the last season was!)

Hijiori (Yamagata Pref, 330m asl)
822cm - 415cm - 781cm (This season is slightly worse than average season)

Yuda (Iwate Pref, 250m asl)
551cm - 303cm - 714cm (Yuda is having a very good season)

Kutchan (Niseko region, 176m asl)
543cm - 365cm - 552cm (Niseko is having a just average season)

Furano (174m asl)
337cm - 232cm - 267cm (Furano is having relatively bad season)

Last season was by far the worst season for most regions of Japan, which makes us feel "this season is good", however it's just average (mid December's mega snowfall helped us ride deep snow from the very beginning of the season, which is veeeeery good, but when it comes to the amount of snowfall of Dec + Jan, this season is just around average).

Yeah, it was a great start, but just sort of ticking over now. Absolutely agree with you on how it feels like a "proper" winter, after last year being 3 months of meh
(I don't live in a ski resort so it's not really relevant, but last year we actually had more snow in March (= early spring) than over the entire Jan and Feb)

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Only 4 days, but February is good so far in that there were good snowfall in 3 days out of 4 days(the picture was filmed this morning, about 30cm overnight). I think the two weeks of mid Jan - late Jan was relatively snowless, which makes Dec + Jan = just around average for most major ski regions.
u.jpg

This is this morning's twitter from Grandeco (ski resort in Aizu region).

Reactions: Hyst

Jacksong

Addicted
Oct 2, 2018
Thank you Ramenman for providing those numbers.

Last season, least snowiest season ever right? Shiga Kogen had the most snow in February since at least 2012, probably longer (I can only see back to 2012). Madarao, Nozawa Onsen etc, last February received much more snow than usual. April was above average and March was good, so for people living here, last year has some fond memories. Because spring is when they have the most time to ski.

Last Feb was abnormal only because of just a few big big snow days. Feb 6 and 9 alone received two meters in Myoko. But many days last February we got zero snow. Overall it wasn't the best February but it was one of the snowiest 'on paper'.

This season is very good because of the base we received early, as you mentioned. So even a below average February on a good base, will be much better than an above average February on small base.

I wonder what people prefer. 10-15cm almost every day, quite like Niseko, or no snow for 3 or 4 days, then 30cm+ for 2 days straight, more like north/central honshu.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne

Last season, least snowiest season ever right? Shiga Kogen had the most snow in February since at least 2012, probably longer (I can only see back to 2012). Madarao, Nozawa Onsen etc, last February received much more snow than usual. April was above average and March was good, so for people living here, last year has some fond memories. Because spring is when they have the most time to ski.

Last Feb was abnormal only because of just a few big big snow days. Feb 6 and 9 alone received two meters in Myoko. But many days last February we got zero snow. Overall it wasn't the best February but it was one of the snowiest 'on paper'.

This season is very good because of the base we received early, as you mentioned. So even a below average February on a good base, will be much better than an above average February on small base.

I wonder what people prefer. 10-15cm almost every day, quite like Niseko, or no snow for 3 or 4 days, then 30cm+ for 2 days straight, more like north/central honshu.
I prefer the Honshu (generalising) snow patterns, like a few sunny days in between the dumps to explore

Reactions: mannyk and Jacksong

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast

We havent been to Niseko but we prefer to be able to experience fresh snow and the blue bird days, seeing the fantastic views on offer.

Reactions: Froff Life
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass