Japan The Japanese snow season 2020-2021 Weather

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Personal happiness over the course of a season is all about having varied skillsets and applying the appropriate skillset for the conditions of the day rather than waiting for the exact set of conditions that compliment your skillset.
Even here in powder land most days are not powder days so it pays to learn to enjoy varied conditions. I actually love snow that has been rained on, its so creamy and very fast to ride before it freezes so I am always out there on rainy days.
So true that. So often surprised as well, as I was today. I try to get out there even when I know that it is not going to be good. It will make me a better rider and ready for those moments in time when you hit a random patch of crud. I also want to be able to give accurate reports of conditions and you can't do that when you just want to ride pow. People think I am crazy but I actually enjoy spring time moguls. Once they have softened of course :)

Reactions: BobGnarly

David-eTO

Hard Yards
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
I already almost forgot what last March was like, however, the first - second week of April was very cold, and frequent cold rain killed my vegetables last year, I remember it!

well above zero at the top of the Aomori gondola, this is what last March looked like :(

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Sukayu (JMA's weather station in Aomori) has reached 420cm of snowdepth.

It has reached 441cm. JMA started recording snowdepth at Sukayu in 1980. So, 40 years and I noticed the 8 biggest snowdepth of February (for Sukayu) are in the last 20 years. The numbers are NOT snowfall but the biggest snowDEPTH of February (Edit : Sukayu has the biggest snowdepth around March 10th on average)

1st = 566cm - 2013

2nd = 496cm - 2012

3rd = 464cm - 2000

4th = 453cm - 2006

5th = 442cm - 2005

6th = 439cm - 2018
6th = 439cm - 2019

8th = 428cm - 2001

When it comes to "yearly snowfall", the biggest is 2,376cm of 1996.

Last edited:

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
20210225_093031.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
OK, now JMA is redirecting me to this fancy new page::
https://www.jma.go.jp/bosai/map.html#7/34.5/137/&elem=temp&contents=amedas&interval=60

Actually looks like an improvement on the old interface. Shock horror!
Even lets me distract myself at 10 minute increments rather than 1 hour.
To tell you the truth, the map with all of the temperatures is an improvement, but the rest of the new JMA site is a complete mess.....
You can't find anything intuitively any more. The old 7 day city forecasts were a good visual summary, but the new one is confusing IF YOU CAN FIND IT!!!! I found it once, but can't find it again!!

Instead of having a concise menu at the right, you have to go Home, every time. (twice!!)

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
NW Gunma, Japan 1100m asl
To tell you the truth, the map with all of the temperatures is an improvement, but the rest of the new JMA site is a complete mess.....
You can't find anything intuitively any more. The old 7 day city forecasts were a good visual summary, but the new one is confusing IF YOU CAN FIND IT!!!! I found it once, but can't find it again!!

Instead of having a concise menu at the right, you have to go Home, every time. (twice!!)

I like the map w/ temperatures, and I like if you click on an observation station you can see more data in one place. Plus it does cute little graphs.

To be honest I had my favourite pages and had just saved the links, so never really navigated around the site. But like you am getting hopelessly lost trying to find equivalent things on the new site.

One thing annoying me is that the earthquake page that gave the previous 7 days' data in a list seems to have disappeared... That link now takes me to a rather sluggish map which is nice, but I want a list too!!!

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I like the map w/ temperatures, and I like if you click on an observation station you can see more data in one place. Plus it does cute little graphs.

To be honest I had my favourite pages and had just saved the links, so never really navigated around the site. But like you am getting hopelessly lost trying to find equivalent things on the new site.

One thing annoying me is that the earthquake page that gave the previous 7 days' data in a list seems to have disappeared... That link now takes me to a rather sluggish map which is nice, but I want a list too!!!
Yes, this is what I mean.....

For the list of quakes, go to the bottom right corner with the magnifying glass and "more".
But that's the point, it's not intuitive!!!! :rolleyes:

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
Yes, this is what I mean.....

For the list of quakes, go to the bottom right corner with the magnifying glass and "more".
But that's the point, it's not intuitive!!!! :rolleyes:

Got it, thanks!

One thing that crossed my mind is whether the new interface could be a precursor to making access subscription based...
I remember a storm in a teacup last year about them deciding to put ads on the website to boost revenue.

tbh the amount of data up there free for anyone is incredible. Amazing resource. Long may it last...

Reactions: Sandy

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Got it, thanks!

One thing that crossed my mind is whether the new interface could be a precursor to making access subscription based...
I remember a storm in a teacup last year about them deciding to put ads on the website to boost revenue.

tbh the amount of data up there free for anyone is incredible. Amazing resource. Long may it last...
And for 7 day forecasts, instead of clicking on "one week forecasts" like the previously, you select daily forecasts, then "table".

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
Well it's been gale force winds from the east for about 12 hours now, a huge amount of snow has melted in such a short time.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Well it's been gale force winds from the east for about 12 hours now, a huge amount of snow has melted in such a short time.
Weird, not a breath of wind here, but leaden skies. The forecast says rain from midday but looks ready to start any minute now.
Looks like it depends on topography... (how exposed, vs nearby mountains)
Hakuba 0.8m/s (~3kph)
Nagano City 5.4m/s (~20kph)
Itoigawa 12.4m/s (~45kph)

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
@BobGnarly @Asama

Wow, warm day all over central Japan (Yokohama now 18.9C)

HOWEVER, Kanazawa hit 21C degrees at 5am, it has now dropped to 7.4C at 11am.
It's also dropping on the coast of western Niigata, with Itoigawa at 11.6, after hitting 17.5 at 7am.

The southerly, then easterly winds that brought warm air, is turning to the northerly.

sfc3_2021030118.png

sfc3_2021030200.png

However, the high is dominant over the Asian mainland, so I wouldn't expect any lengthy period of northerlies bringing snow. (Reasonable snow soon, above 800m, then lower, but not past midnight tonight)

Reactions: Asama and BobGnarly

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
@BobGnarly @Asama

Wow, warm day all over central Japan (Yokohama now 18.9C)

HOWEVER, Kanazawa hit 21C degrees at 5am, it has now dropped to 7.4C at 11am.
It's also dropping on the coast of western Niigata, with Itoigawa at 11.6, after hitting 17.5 at 7am.

The southerly, then easterly winds that brought warm air, is turning to the northerly.

sfc3_2021030118.png

sfc3_2021030200.png

However, the high is dominant over the Asian mainland, so I wouldn't expect any lengthy period of northerlies bring snow. (Reasonable snow soon, above 800m, then lower, but not past midnight tonight)
It has dropped down to 10c here too but began raining heavily.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Yeah the difference between Iiyama at 400m ish and Madarao village 1000m wrt temp and rain v snow is quite amazing.

The temp change today without a front going through is quite amazing is well. Looking at the maps, so different to Aus where we would expect a cold front with those low pressure systems and that sort of temp change.

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
Pissing down! NHK lunchtime forecast reckoned a switch to snow around 3-4 pm. Let's see what happens... temp rose and then went into freefall when the rain got going properly but seems to have stalled at 6 degrees for now.

Reactions: Sandy

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Temperatures have dropped sufficiently for snow in northern Nagano & near the coast in Niigata resorts above 500m.
Still too warm in central Nagano & northern Gunma.

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
Temperatures have dropped sufficiently for snow in northern Nagano & near the coast in Niigata resorts above 500m.
Still too warm in central Nagano & northern Gunma.

Briefly changed to snow around 30 mins ago here, but too warm to settle... seems to have reverted to sleet for now.

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
It has been such a heavy snowfall in Furano that the local road clearing crew lost control and the town has been a bit of a mess all day. We get big falls for sure, but are more used to regular top ups in the 20-40 cm range, not lots of really big ones and this one was (and still is) a doozy. It's been snowing non stop for about 24 hours, with almost zero visibility at ground level for most of the day, which also added to the chaos on the roads. Pic off wife's car this afternoon around 180m ASL. Got some digging to do tomorrow when it is due to clear. Thursday morning might be Tokachi.
Lucy car March 2 2021.jpeg

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
Feels like winter has packed up and left early... can't see anything of interest on the horizon.
Used to March being quite up and down, but seem to be stuck in "up" mode. Haven't seen a proper snowflake in weeks!

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
The Nagano branch of the JMA releases a monthly summary of the previous month's weather.

https://www.jma-net.go.jp/nagano/shosai/geppou/document/kishou_03.pdf

This March just gone was the warmest on record for 28/30 locations in Nagano pref (if I counted correctly), beating the previous record by 1C or more in many cases (most of which were records set in 2018). Sure the story is similar in many other regions.

It seems discussion of AGW is a bit taboo in these threads, but... ouch!

upload_2021-4-16_14-26-54.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass