Japan The Japanese snow season 2020-2021 Weather

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
JR have announced some JR lines won't run tomorrow (17th) due to too much snow.
EpWiJyHVQAAEujs

EpWiJyHU8AEKwNn

d_FYX73m

Reactions: fennekeg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
The road condition is also terrible. This is a highway in Yuzawa where the snow is very often cleared but still road is covered with deep snow.

EpXKR5IUYAAMSJ3

This was filmed in morning (16th). It has been snowing hard since then. So, I assume it has got even more difficult now.
EpU1qqFW8AA4G1L

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Yuzawa snow depth still not showing on JMA... did they lose their ruler under the mountain of white?

Meanwhile.. Gumma still getting hammered..
Minakami is sitting at 140 cms...
Just imagine how much snow has fallen up the road at Tenjin :eek:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
The road condition is also terrible. This is a highway in Yuzawa where the snow is very often cleared but still road is covered with deep snow.

EpXKR5IUYAAMSJ3

This was filmed in morning (16th). It has been snowing hard since then. So, I assume it has got even more difficult now.
EpU1qqFW8AA4G1L

You can see the IC at Yuzawa is jammed.
932008.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Beginning to get a bit stressed about my lodges. Chalet Myoko has 1 person there and no snowblower. Chalet Madarao is empty but has 2 cars and 2 snowblowers. Might be deja vu of 2012 by the time I get there. Eek!

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
just saw a post from tenjin lodge on FB.
Snow walls at least 2 metres dug out in the carpark.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Might have heard the place name wrong.

The details,

A 33 year old Japanese woman working in Tokyo went to Kagura with friend(s). She is working in Tokyo but she was in Kagura mid week and her body was found in Giant Course, which is Black = for advanced skiers / snowboarders. I think It's very likely she is a well experienced snowboarder rather than a beginner who rushed to Kagura in the wake of the record breaking heavy snow. She was snowboarding with her friend(s) on Giant Course, but suddenly the friend(s) lost sight of her. She was found in the deep snow and was sent to a hospital, but couldn't make it (She suffocated to death)
ski-resort_mitsumata-kagura-tashira-mt-naeba-_n68410-51272-3_raw.jpg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I was looking at how much Yuzawa had snow in December in the past.

The best December is 2005. The total snowfall in December 2005 was 617cm and the biggest snowdepth was 289cm (on December 29th, 2005). I was not in Japan in 2005, so I don't remember (is there anyone on this forum who was skiing in Yuzawa in 2005?). I remember 2014's December was also good and the total snowfall in December 2014 was 451cm and the biggest snowdeph was 172cm (on December 19th and 27th, 2014). This December might become better than 2014, if not 2005.

The very worst is last December. The total snowfall of 2019's December was only 35cm and the biggest snowdepth was only 15cm on December 28.

Snowfall: The best = 617cm / The worst = 35cm
Snowdepth : The best = 289cm / The worst = 15cm

Lets hope the best December is coming after the worst December. If not snowfall, the snowdepth of this December can be bigger than 2005 in that the current snowdepth is 182cm and nearly two weeks left.

Edit : 289cm is the biggest snowdepth of December. The biggest snowdepth record of Yuzawa is 358cm on January 28th, 2006.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Every Thursday, JMA issue one month forecast and the newest one was issued today. It's the forecast between Dec 19th and Jan 18th. It looks very good. JMA's one month forecast is rather like "2 weeks forecast", but it means this December is going to be very good for many regions.

Temperature
temp-00.png

Snowfall
snow-00.png

Jacksong

One of Us
Oct 2, 2018
I will say thank you to the weather gods for a "day off" snowfall tomorrow. Another system rolls in for the evening which is why I am thankful. Obviously riding in the snow is nice, clearing it.. usually not too bad but there were no warm ups this year.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Sugadaira in Nagano hit minus 20C last night! Not bad for December.

That reminds me of the temperature of Yabukawa = a district of Morioka city (capital city of Iwate Pref) dropped to -19.3C (almost -20) two days ago. -20C is not surprising at all for inland Hokkaido villages because it's very far from the ocean = warm water and it's high latitude. However, I think 薮川 = Yabukawa's coldness is very impressive. Sugadaira is famous for "one of the coldest weather stations of JMA", but considering the altitude and proximity to the downtown, Yabukawa's coldness is more impressive for me.

Yabukawa on December 16th, 2020
https://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stat...ock_no=1078&year=2020&month=12&day=16&view=p1

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Here is the latest snowfall forecast from a local weather news. The forecast is 48 hour forecast between 6pm of today and 6pm of the day after tomorrow. Looks very good. Many ski regions in Honshu are likely to have bigger than 60cm in 48 hours and some places are likely to have 100 - 120cm in 48 hours.
img_blizzard_kyosou.png

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Wow, that is actually quite serious. Really unusual for places to lose power. I have never experienced a blackout in Japan. We had a very local incident where the transformer for our place blew in a "storm". They tried to get out to us that night but due to border issues re clearing snow they had to turn back at about midnight but were there at 7.30 am in the morning. They got just past Tangram but could not get up the hill even in a jacked up 4wd.

I had heard that Yuzawa was copping it even more than Myoko, which is unusual. Has made me think of a few of the "adventures" I have had over the years. I think I have been lucky because I have only been delayed rather than stuck over night. Though in some of the weather incidents I have experienced other people have been stuck.

The weather graphic in the video shows the weather event that brings Myoko so much snow. Northerly from Siberia, warm sea of Japan, dumps snow on Mt Myoko.

Jacksong

One of Us
Oct 2, 2018
Just finished clearing my roof, will probably need to do it again on Monday. Last season only cleared it once all winter, this year twice before Christmas.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Wow, that is actually quite serious. Really unusual for places to lose power. I have never experienced a blackout in Japan. We had a very local incident where the transformer for our place blew in a "storm". They tried to get out to us that night but due to border issues re clearing snow they had to turn back at about midnight but were there at 7.30 am in the morning. They got just past Tangram but could not get up the hill even in a jacked up 4wd.

I had heard that Yuzawa was copping it even more than Myoko, which is unusual. Has made me think of a few of the "adventures" I have had over the years. I think I have been lucky because I have only been delayed rather than stuck over night. Though in some of the weather incidents I have experienced other people have been stuck.

The weather graphic in the video shows the weather event that brings Myoko so much snow. Northerly from Siberia, warm sea of Japan, dumps snow on Mt Myoko.

If you look at the weather tutorial, Yuzawa gets more snow with winds in a different direction to the resorts on the east side of Mt Myoko.
i.e. Myoko needs a slightly more NNW wind that produces orographic lift from Mt Myoko, which makes it snow on the east side... To far to the north, and there's no lift, too far to the WNW and Suginohara gets more snow.
Yuzawa town can get big snow on a northerly, and Kagura has multiple directions for good snow because it's exposed... It can get twice as much snow as Naeba, only 5km away and to which it is joined by the Dragondola. When you ski at both on the same day, you can notice that Kagura is so much colder and more snowy. Kagura sometimes gets as much full season snow as Myoko.... They have some extendible lift towers to cope with the depth of snow.

Reactions: Melskius

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
If you look at the weather tutorial, Yuzawa gets more snow with winds in a different direction to the resorts on the east side of Mt Myoko.
i.e. Myoko needs a slightly more NNW wind that produces orographic lift from Mt Myoko, which makes it snow on the east side... To far to the north, and there's no lift, too far to the WNW and Suginohara gets more snow.
Yuzawa town can get big snow on a northerly, and Kagura has multiple directions for good snow because it's exposed... It can get twice as much snow as Naeba, only 5km away and to which it is joined by the Dragondola. When you ski at both on the same day, you can notice that Kagura is so much colder and more snowy. Kagura sometimes gets as much full season snow as Myoko.... They have some extendible lift towers to cope with the depth of snow.
It can get bitterly cold there that's for sure. Especially around 1500-1600 m upwards. As cold as anywhere we've been further north. That's interesting re the extendable lift towers. The double?

Reactions: Zimbooo

Jacksong

One of Us
Oct 2, 2018
I had the intention to keep on top of this snowfall, but that quickly changed to preservation of windows and doors. One outside door was completely compressed in after snow dump off the roof looks to have blasted directly towards it. I have never seen so much snow, since 2013 coming here. Thankful for some clear weather ahead. Too tired from snow clearing to really enjoy the powder up the mountain. Hoping to check out some of the tree runs tomorrow that wouldn't have been touched yet.

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Looks like from next monday after what we would call in Australia some pre-frontal rain, Japan will get smashed again with snow

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass