Japan The Japanese snow season 2020-2021 Weather

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
The snowdepth of Sukayu, a weather station that JMA has in Aomori pref reached 300cm this morning. Because the altitude and latitude are relatively high, the weather station has the biggest snowdepth around March 7 - 10th on average. 2 months to go, and I wonder how much the snowdepth there will grow this season. The snowdepth of Sukayu reached 566cm in 2013.
https://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas_h/today-31482.html?areaCode=000&groupCode=20

Reactions: Peli89

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
I still struggle to predict these wind loaded storm totals! 89cm's over night is massive dump, be a wonderful day in the trees where you would expect 1.5m+ drifts

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Urabandai (Highland around Mt.Bandai, Aizu region, Fukushima Pref) at about 800m asl last night. The region had 20cm overnight. Not big snowfall, but enough fresh snow to make the ski day enjoyable today.
U1.jpg

+30cm overnight on ski slopes in Urabandai (filmed before this noon) and +20cm on roads.
Neko.jpg

Neko 2.jpg

Ura.jpg

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
NW Gunma, Japan 1100m asl
Looks like there could be the potential for snow in Kanto early next week... we shall see...
Tokyo was showing a snowman for next Tuesday on the lunchtime NHK forecast.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
+30cm overnight on ski slopes in Urabandai (filmed before this noon) and +20cm on roads.
Neko.jpg

Neko 2.jpg

Ura.jpg

Here is a video filmed today from the official twitter of one of ski resorts (=Grandeco) in the region. I think it's a very good example. I mean, the nearest weather station shows only 5 to 10cm (or even less) of snowfall overnight, but the ski lodge area has 15cm and ski slopes have 30cm (and 30cm of fresh snow overnight on ski slopes = enjoyable enough).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Still going. Toyama now 83cm (+68cm!).

Yasusuka in coastal Niigata at 226cm (+86cm!). 8cm in last hour!
Tokamachi, Niigata at 239cm (+100cm!!).

Now, I'm having dinner while watching NHK's evening news. About 30 secs ago, NHK were saying "Some places in Niigata Prefecture might get another 120cm between tonight and tomorrow night" and "Another 100cm the day after tomorrow". Some weather stations in Niigata Pref have had 50 - 100cm in the last 24 hours already. Another 150 - 200cm in some places this weekend:eek:!?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Still going. Toyama now 83cm (+68cm!).

Yasusuka in coastal Niigata at 226cm (+86cm!). 8cm in last hour!
Tokamachi, Niigata at 239cm (+100cm!!).
Imagine that IC that runs from Joetsu to Toyama then down through Fukui...
Nuts

Reactions: Ramenman

Jacksong

Addicted
Oct 2, 2018
Madarao around 30cm overnight and snowing most of the day. It's about the perfect amount of snow to fall on a good base. Seems this area getting about half of what the areas closer to the coast are getting.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Some weather stations in Niigata Pref have had 100cm of snowfall already in the last 24 hours. Then now, here is the newest local 24 hour snowfall forecast between 6pm today and 6pm tomorrow. After 100cm has actually fallen already in the 24 hours, local weather forecasters are warning now "Another 120cm of snowfall might come in the next 24 hours":eek:
MZZn56I-

Stephen Allen

Addicted
Jun 17, 2014
Wow that is beautiful after last year's effort. Hope the boarders and skiers of Japan are enjoying the conditions without the foreign hordes, which includes me.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
It's interesting to note that the places with the most snow over the last 30 hours, are those within 15km of the coast in Niigata, at low elevation.
This corresponds to the light to moderate westerly wind today:
- Yasuzuka: 113cm. 126m elevation
- Takada: 105cm. 13m elevation (31cm in the last 4 hours).
- Tokamachi: 95cm. 170m elevation

By contrast, other areas > 20km are not getting as much:
- Tsunan: 82cm
- Yuzawa: 59cm
- Seikyama: 46cm
- Nozawa Onsen: 33cm
- Otari: 36cm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The places I get my cues from, for snowfall and freeze level are:

- Takada. About 2km from the sea, elevation 13 metres. This usually has substantial amounts of snow through the season (often 2m+ base). This is a good indicator for: 1 How much precip there is close to the coast. 2. how cold it is at sea level.
This is a good indicator for Myoko & Hakuba, and Nozawa Onsen to some extent.

- Yasuzuka. It is the Niigata foothills, 15km from the sea, and 25km due north of Nozawa Onsen and 35km NW of Yuzawa. Elevation 126m. This is a great indicator for precip a little ways from the coast, with just enough elevation to get substantial snow. You can get a feel for temperature and snow for the eastern Nagano resorts and Niigata

- Tsunan about 30km from the coast, in line with Yasuzuka. 20km on the road from Nozawa Onsen, & 10 km SE of Cupid Valley, 452m elevation. It cops huge amounts of snow.

- Shinano-machi (just across the border in Nagano, about 10km south of Myoko, at 685m. A good indicator for inland penetration, and amount of snow hitting the south side of Myoko resorts (e.g. Suginohara)

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
These videos were filmed in a city of Akita Prefecture at only 40 - 50m asl earlier this week. As you can see in the second video, Self Defense Force have been dispatchd to the region to clear the snow. Now, it's been snowing even a lot harder in Niigata, etc(very close to the coast). Self Defense Force might be busy this season to clear snow:p

Reactions: Jellybeans and Sago

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
The temperature of JMA's weather station very near our ski lodge in Urabandai, Fukushima Pref dropped down to -14.2C this morning. But it dropped down to -21.7C in 2018, so it's just a cold morning. This morning, 5 of JMA's weather stations in Iwate Prefecture dropped down to -20C or even colder. Kuzakai (Iwate Pref) = -24.1C and Yabukawa (it is in Morioka, the capital city of Iwate) = -23.6C. Quite many weather stations in Hokkaido are colder than -20C this morning.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Hakuba Happo One this morning = 8am. It's from a webcam. Here in Tohoku, it can NOT be that crowded even after a good snowfall:p
ErPsm6oUcAE9Snf

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
That's the Happo gondola, and that's not a big crowd for a weekend opening.

However, this is NOT weather related content, so please post it in the Hakuba thread.

Gomen nasai, I was very interested in how much snowfall ski resorts in Central Honshu have got in the last 24 hours "on ski slopes", then a friend of mine showed the picture to me. Now I'm veeery curious how much Charmant Hiuchi, Arai, etc have got. Here in Urabandai, it's just another +20cm overnight and the nearest ski resorts have 250cm of snowdepth. Just another good skiing day = enjoyable enough, but not a special day.

After seeing some weather stations in Niigata close to Sea of Japan got 100cm in 24 hours, I wonder if they can really open the ski resorts:p

Reactions: Stephen Allen

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems it's still snowing hard in Niigata, Toyama, etc today but here in Urabandai, it's sunny. The second picture is a road in the highland. The traffic on the highland is small and the daily high temperature of January and February is lower than 0C on average, so the roads can keep "nicely white", and I like what it looks like. The third picture is a today's ski slope condition.
U1.jpg

U2.jpg

U3.jpg

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
WEATHER EYE
Storm bomb may result in pushing the polar vortex into a big upheaval

Paul Simons
Saturday January 09 2021, 12.01am GMT, The Times
%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F7f645e04-51c6-11eb-9824-61a56b05e43d.jpg

Bitterly cold Siberian winds caused the notorious Beast from the East in 2018
JEFF J MITCHELL/GETTY IMAGES
The stratosphere got in the news this week when it went into convulsions. In the bitterly cold, dark Arctic winter a vortex of winds races around the stratosphere, keeping the cold polar air penned into the Arctic. But now these winds 30km high have weakened, gone into reverse, the temperature of the stratosphere has soared over the North Pole and the polar vortex may split in two. This phenomenon is called a sudden stratospheric warming and the upheaval may eventually sink into our weather in the lower atmosphere over the coming weeks. There the jet stream can be pushed off course and allow bitterly cold air to flood down from Siberia on easterly winds — hence the notorious Beast from the East. However, the threat of a big freeze is not guaranteed, with a roughly 70 per cent chance of happening.

These chaotic events in the stratosphere happen every one or two years, but what triggers them in the first place? Strange as it may seem, they begin with our weather down in the lower atmosphere. Given enough power, a big weather event can punch high enough into the atmosphere and push the polar vortex off balance, rather like nudging a spinning top and making it wobble.

Exactly what triggered this week’s disruption of the polar vortex is not clear yet, but one possibility was an exceptionally violent cyclone that exploded into action over the North Pacific near the Arctic on New Year’s Eve. The pressure in this storm plunged from 972 millibars to a record 921 millibars in only 24 hours, making it the strongest storm in that part of the ocean in at least 60 years, and setting a record for such deep pressure in the Bering Sea. This storm bomb may have given the stratosphere the necessary push to tip the polar vortex into a major upheaval.

Only a day before that record low atmospheric pressure, a provisional high atmospheric pressure record of 1094.3 millibars was noted in Mongolia on December 29, although that may have been coincidence.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...he-polar-vortex-into-a-big-upheaval-pq2v23rk8

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It is said that there are two types that make Sea of Japan side prefectures (of Honshu) have big snowfall. One is 山雪型 and the other is 里雪型. 山 = Mountain, 雪 = Snow, so 山雪型 = Mountain Snow Type. 里 = the place(s) where people reside, so it's like "downtown" in this case (in Japan, the areas close to the sea = more densely populated). So, 里雪型 means like "Downtown Snow Type".型 = Type. 里雪型 happens less frequently. It seems 里雪型 has been happening in Niigata - Toyama - Fukui.
N1.jpg

This is when 山雪型 (Mountain Snow Type) happens.
N2.png

This is when 里雪型 (Downtown Snow Type) happens.
N3.png

48 hour snowfall as a result of 里雪型 (between 10am of 7th and 10am of 9th)
ErQPwuOVEAEQQhd.jpg

Reactions: dr80

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Cupid Valley had 420cm of snowdepth this morning. It's been snowing quite hard in Joetsu city (Cupid Valley is in Joetsu city). I wonder how much they will have tomorrow morning:eek: https://www.yukidaruma-kogen.com/
Cupid Valley is about 15km from Joetsu City... It's closer to Yasuzuka & Tsunan(about half way between the two). Tsunan has had around 115cm in the last 2 days.
Takada (Joetsu) has had around 120cm, and Yasuzaka about 130cm.
But Takada, Yasuzuka & Tsunan have only had maybe 10-30cm in the last 24hours. (and only 5-10cm in the last 6hours).

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
It is said that there are two types that make Sea of Japan side prefectures (of Honshu) have big snowfall. One is 山雪型 and the other is 里雪型. 山 = Mountain, 雪 = Snow, so 山雪型 = Mountain Snow Type. 里 = the place(s) where people reside, so it's like "downtown" in this case (in Japan, the areas close to the sea = more densely populated). So, 里雪型 means like "Downtown Snow Type".型 = Type. 里雪型 happens less frequently. It seems 里雪型 has been happening in Niigata - Toyama - Fukui.
N1.jpg

This is when 山雪型 (Mountain Snow Type) happens.
N2.png

This is when 里雪型 (Downtown Snow Type) happens.
N3.png

48 hour snowfall as a result of 里雪型 (between 10am of 7th and 10am of 9th)
ErQPwuOVEAEQQhd.jpg
There is also a lot more of this sort of info here in the Japan weather tutorial:
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/snow-forecasting-tutorial-for-japan.63512/

Reactions: Hyst and Ramenman

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Shirakawa-Go (Gifu Pref) is snowy, but still, 239cm on January 10th is something unusual and the snowdepth keeps increasing rapidly even now like 215 - 219 - 222 - 227 - 230 - 236 - 239cm in the last 6 hours. The JMA's weather station at Shirakawa had 297cm in 2006 (February) and it's the biggest record (JMA started recording snowdepth there in 1984). At this rate, the region might make the new snowdepth record (considering it's still early January) https://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas_h/today-52081.html?areaCode=000&groupCode=37

Reactions: Hyst

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Shirakawa-Go (Gifu Pref) is snowy, but still, 239cm on January 10th is something unusual and the snowdepth keeps increasing rapidly even now like 215 - 219 - 222 - 227 - 230 - 236 - 239cm in the last 6 hours. The JMA's weather station at Shirakawa had 297cm in 2006 (February) and it's the biggest record (JMA started recording snowdepth there in 1984). At this rate, the region might make the new snowdepth record (considering it's still early January) https://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas_h/today-52081.html?areaCode=000&groupCode=37
I was there this time last year.
Snow depth. 10cm

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Snow depth. 10cm

I think, for Gifu Pref, the last season = by far the least snowiest, this season = one of the best. So, a unusual season (2020 - 21) has come a year after a very unusual season (2019 - 20). I've been showing videos filmed in Gifu Pref (Takasu Snow Park, Dynaland, Winghills, etc) which were filmed this winter in the thread "Japan Youtube Videos 2020 - 2021". As you can see in the videos, the snow condition there in Gifu this season is very snowy (so far in the early season) https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/japan-youtube-videos-2020-2021.88804/page-2

All of the videos below were filmed in 2021 (= the last 10 days).

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Charmant is closed due to heavy snow.
Takes a bit to close that place.

It seems Cupid Valley and some other ski resorts also have announced they won't open today due to too much snow. Too much snowfall = Not only guests, but also seasonal workers can't arrive in the ski resorts for the terrible road conditions. It's a long weekend with a national holiday, but can't open:(

Last edited:

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems Arai managed to open today, but surprisingly, they have the snowdepth of 576cm this morning and this season's total amount of snowfall is 1184cm. For Arai, Geto Kogen, etc, 400cm in February is normal, but nearly 600cm in early January is surprising. Not only that, the total snowfall has reached 1184cm. The ski resort opened only 3 weeks ago. 1184cm of snowfall in 3 or 4 weeks?. Very impressive even for Arai.
https://www.lottehotel.com/arai-resort/ja.html/

Reactions: dr80

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems Arai managed to open today, but surprisingly, they have the snowdepth of 576cm this morning and this season's total amount of snowfall is 1184cm. For Arai, Geto Kogen, etc, 400cm in February is normal, but nearly 600cm in early January is surprising. Not only that, the total snowfall has reached 1184cm. The ski resort opened only 3 weeks ago. 1184cm of snowfall in 3 or 4 weeks?. Very impressive even for Arai.
https://www.lottehotel.com/arai-resort/ja.html/

The gondola station is almost buried and it seems the gondola is not running because too much snow have fallen. Only lifts are running.

Reactions: Jacksong

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Local media are reporting Self Defense Force will be dispatched to the region (they have been dispatched to Akita Pref , Tohoku last week as well to clear / remove the snow after a mega snowfall).

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Snow depth. 10cm

I was reading some data on JMA's website for 3 mins and Shirakawa (478m asl) is a very good example how bad the last season was.

Shirakawa's average monthly snowfall in December = 213cm and January = 358cm. So, Dec + Jan = 571cm "on average". Last season's December was only 12cm and January was only 38cm. So, last season's Dec + Jan was only 50cm. Average = 571cm, Last season = 50cm, so last season was less than 1/10 compared to the average Dec + Jan.

This season's December had 262cm, so it's a little bit better than average December (Average Dec = 213cm. Last season's Dec = 12cm).

It's January 10th today and Shirakawa already has had 200cm or more. 200cm for 10 days in January is not very "abnormal" for Shirakawa. So, now I think this season is surely better than average but not a very abnormal season. Last season (2019 - 2020) was surely a veeeeery abnormal season in a very bad way unfortunately and it makes this season look even better.

Shirakawa-Go today (from two twitter users who are in Shirakawa-Go this weekend)

Reactions: Donza and ojisan

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
I was reading some data on JMA's website for 3 mins and Shirakawa (478m asl) is a very good example how bad the last season was.

Shirakawa's average monthly snowfall in December = 213cm and January = 358cm. So, Dec + Jan = 571cm "on average". Last season's December was only 12cm and January was only 38cm. So, last season's Dec + Jan was only 50cm. Average = 571cm, Last season = 50cm, so last season was less than 1/10 compared to the average Dec + Jan.

This season's December had 262cm, so it's a little bit better than average December (Average Dec = 213cm. Last season's Dec = 12cm).

It's January 10th today and Shirakawa already has had 200cm or more. 200cm for 10 days in January is kind of "normal" for Shirakawa. So, now I think this season is surely better than average but not a very abnormal season. Last season (2019 - 2020) was surely a very abnormal season in a very bad way unfortunately and it makes this season looks even better.

Shirakawa-Go today (from two twitter users who are in Shirakawa-Go this weekend)

In that last tweet, the house looks like it is a face.
That is so much snow.. more than when I was there which was late Jan maybe 9 yrs ago

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Local media are reporting that 500 people have got locked in a ski resort in Gifu Prefecture because the road between the ski resort and the village has become undrivable due to too much snow.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass