Japan The Japanese snow season 2021-2022 Weather

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I'm back in Japan now, after a long stint in the USA.

Since there's low likelihood that of OS visitors to Japan, I've changed the thread title to the main Weather thread for Japan for season 2021-2022.

Big totals over the last 48hours in central & western Honshu near the coast, with the bulk of it falling in the first 24 hours:
2021-12-27 - 0500.jpg

Sat noon to Sunday noon:
- Myoko (Sekiyama) reporting a bit above 85cm.
- Nozawa Onsen ~ 45cm
- Yuzawa Town ~ 70cm

Good pattern for snow in central and western Honshu, nearer the coast: Big high pressure over central China, and a due north wind, though not very strong. Not such a good wind for Hakuba, because a stronger wind out of the NW & NNW is better for most of the resorts there, except for Cortina.

Not so good for northern Honshu/Tohoku, because the fetch is NNE, swinging to a lighter NNW, which means less inland penetration. A WNW wind is better for Tohoku.
Not like an early season pattern which tends to more to the WNW.

2021-12-25 - 18 UTC surface analysis.png

Plenty of Sea/Lake effect snow, but wind is not strong, so less inland penetration. Coastal areas doing well.
Sat 2021-12-25 - 2100 UTC.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Very similar Sea of Japan surface chart to last Sunday, which produced less snow for Hakuba than was generally expected. (Light/moderate NNE wind)

2021-12-30 - 21 UTC surface analysis.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Reactions: Froff Life

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
I have never seriously looked at Japan as a snow chasing destination (I'm not a skier) but am considering it now. Sapporo has a snow festival about now, and Niseko itself is easily reached by public transport. I am assuming one can get by with a bit of elementary Japanese and translation apps, particularly in Sapporo and the ski resorts.

Of course nobody can get there at the moment. Watch this if you're a masochist, however it's relaxing to me watching the snow fall:

I am assuming this is at or near the base which is only just over 200 m ASL, though of course snow is plentiful there even at sea level. I am not sure how many of you have studied the meteorology; basically cold Siberian air meets the relatively warm Sea Of Japan and condenses into 'ocean effect' snow. Niseko benefits further from orographic uplift, being close to the coast.

Cities like Asahikawa are colder but further inland and in a bit of a rain/snow shadow, though any snow that falls there seems to stay pretty well:

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I have never seriously looked at Japan as a snow chasing destination (I'm not a skier) but am considering it now. Sapporo has a snow festival about now, and Niseko itself is easily reached by public transport. I am assuming one can get by with a bit of elementary Japanese and translation apps, particularly in Sapporo and the ski resorts.

Of course nobody can get there at the moment. Watch this if you're a masochist, however it's relaxing to me watching the snow fall:

I am assuming this is at or near the base which is only just over 200 m ASL, though of course snow is plentiful there even at sea level. I am not sure how many of you have studied the meteorology; basically cold Siberian air meets the relatively warm Sea Of Japan and condenses into 'ocean effect' snow. Niseko benefits further from orographic uplift, being close to the coast.

Cities like Asahikawa are colder but further inland and in a bit of a rain/snow shadow, though any snow that falls there seems to stay pretty well:

Look through the Japan threads for weather. Already covered the lake/sea effect maybe 10 years ago.

I use the wind direction to predict where the most snow will fall. Central Japan (Nagano/Niigata) get the most out of the lake/sea effect, because the Sea of Japan is widest there.

You should go here: This place gets the most out of orographic lift, and proximity to the coast.

snow corridor.jpg

snow corridor2.jpg

Reactions: skimax
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
What's the appropriate thread for moaning about how insanely hot it's been here recently?
Yeah not hot like Aus up here at Madarao but hot enough to only be out working in the garden early. I retreat to my 1st basement in the middle of the day. And I am contemplating actually running the air conditioners when I need to work on the 2nd floor.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
So after a few really hot days I am listening to thunder rolling around the mountains. There have been afew randrom drops so far but as yet no serious rain here at Madarao. But most importantly the temp has dropped a little.

Reactions: Olgreg

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
I think I’ve read @Sandy talk of ‘step changes’ in the Japan climate. When is peak summer? End of July? August?

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I think I’ve read @Sandy talk of ‘step changes’ in the Japan climate. When is peak summer? End of July? August?
As soon as the rainy season stops. Usually early/mid July, but it's early.

But Peak summer is August. Usually, no day is below 30 degree max, and no night gets below 24 degrees (Tokyo)

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
NW Gunma, Japan 1100m asl
So after a few really hot days I am listening to thunder rolling around the mountains. There have been afew randrom drops so far but as yet no serious rain here at Madarao. But most importantly the temp has dropped a little.
Last few days have been waiting and waiting for the rain. Every afternoon the clouds start forming only to roll away. Next few days look like a definite for rain tho.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using