The Jindabyne thread..

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
What a sensational morning in paradise.

So lucky to be sitting out a pandemic from such a beautiful place, Lake sparkling, mountains shining, people out walking taking in the sunshine.

And now for ..... the weekly shop, mask on, checked in, pitchfork holstered. :thumbs:

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I love the micro analysis of a community noticeboard.
Same thing was happening here in Wollongong a month or so ago. "they" want to know "who" this person is that "brought" Covid into the community.
After all, we have no cases of covid here, so we can't get a case of covid.
Community noticeboard? Facebook? ROFL

I don't quite perceive the same as you in Jindy, which to me is pretty decent, including shops largely closed except click and collect.

But Cooma on the other hand does not seem to be as diligent. Shops open for browsing people everywhere? (On Saturday at least)

It would be interesting to know a bit more about this person though? Kinda weird exposure locations? ie: not including a grocery store?
I have a very different perception.

Last time I went shopping in Cooma I saw one person not wearing a mask including when people were outside.

Jindabyne is full of anti vaxxers, anti mask wearers. Last time I went there I chose not to go into any shops because no one was checking in with the QR code.

Both times were pre lockdown.

Post lockdown Jindy comes across as if nothing has changed.

I am personally responsible for my well being to a large extent. At the moment I am mindful of where I am, who else is there etc.

I don't want to know who the person with covid is. I hope they are ok. But I do want to know if there is any chance of me or mine being exposed to covid.

I know 4 people who have had covid. Luckily they are all ok.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
It would be interesting to know a bit more about this person though? Kinda weird exposure locations? ie: not including a grocery store?
Plenty of people around Cooma, and also Jindy, Dalgety and Berridale who are quite isolated and rural. Farmers and other folks, many of whom live 30km down a dirt road, and maybe 60km from town. These kind of people often only come into town once a week or less, and are surprisingly self sufficient.

As an extreme example a friend of mine told me a story of trip he made with a friend to an isolated property. Three siblings 70’s and 80’s live together on a farm. My friends mate goes out once a week or so to check on them, and drop of some basic supplies. One of the siblings drives, and goes to Cooma once a month a so. The other two siblings only go to the “big smoke” ie Cooma LOL once a year or so.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Plenty of people around Cooma, and also Jindy, Dalgety and Berridale who are quite isolated and rural. Farmers and other folks, many of whom live 30km down a dirt road, and maybe 60km from town. These kind of people often only come into town once a week or less, and are surprisingly self sufficient.

As an extreme example a friend of mine told me a story of trip he made with a friend to an isolated property. Three siblings 70’s and 80’s live together on a farm. My friends mate goes out once a week or so to check on them, and drop of some basic supplies. One of the siblings drives, and goes to Cooma once a month a so. The other two siblings only go to the “big smoke” ie Cooma LOL once a year or so.
It's like Alice Springs Woolies. It has a semi trailer loading dock (no surprises there) but it's for outbound stuff.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Can someone post the exposure site list for Cooma?
_nc_ohc=edj0OplrNDsAX_xXmCz&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Donza why do i have to do all the work :p :p :p

1630981929731.png

1630981970779.png
There is some concern about venues in Cooma and Goulburn that were not listed as venues of concern. NSW Health only lists venues of concern if there is a chance that a member of the public came in to contact with a person who was infectious with COVID-19. Closed workplaces, for example, are often not listed as our public health team has already contacted all close or casual contacts early in the investigation.

Via Southern LHD FB page.

Reactions: Nidecker

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
I am thinking this exercise in your LGA might end up causing the mountains to fall down if there has been people travelling from Cooma to go to the mountains during lockdown.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
It's gunna fill.

Expect to see the Snowy dam leak blowin this week big time this week to ease the pressue.
Was kept awake by the flow of the mighty Snowy River the other night (post rain and big snow melt) so went down to the River at lower Island Bend camping area. There was a serious amount of water heading downstream, up a metre or more on normal levels. I later drove down to below the Island Bend Pondage wall and was surprised to see little more than a trickle. The pondage levels were not overly high either, so I guess they are pumping water up to the other dam further north atm? We could hear the hum of the pumps. It's incredible how energy (water) is moved around - whenever power is cheap, pump uphill, then release to make energy again when prices are high.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Maybe.
Might wake some people up.
Stopped to eat a Pizza at the Cooma Showgrounds yesterday where they are also doing testing (drive thru style). Judging by the number of people I saw between 6 and 6:30pm, Cooma residents are not too worried! (ie: bugger all)

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
There's no pumps at Island Bend, it's at the same altitude as Eucumbene so the water can flow both ways under gravity. Same with Geehi. The only pumps are at Jindabyne Pumping Station and Tumut 3 Power Station

Reactions: dawooduck

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Stopped to eat a Pizza at the Cooma Showgrounds yesterday where they are also doing testing (drive thru style). Judging by the number of people I saw between 6 and 6:30pm, Cooma residents are not too worried! (ie: bugger all)
Probably busy at 8am though.
Thats pretty common around here in wollongong.

Reactions: Jacko4650

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Was kept awake by the flow of the mighty Snowy River the other night (post rain and big snow melt) so went down to the River at lower Island Bend camping area. There was a serious amount of water heading downstream, up a metre or more on normal levels. I later drove down to below the Island Bend Pondage wall and was surprised to see little more than a trickle. The pondage levels were not overly high either, so I guess they are pumping water up to the other dam further north atm? We could hear the hum of the pumps. It's incredible how energy (water) is moved around - whenever power is cheap, pump uphill, then release to make energy again when prices are high.

Check this thread.

Reactions: Jacko4650

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
There's no pumps at Island Bend, it's at the same altitude as Eucumbene so the water can flow both ways under gravity. Same with Geehi. The only pumps are at Jindabyne Pumping Station and Tumut 3 Power Station
Right, so what's that big round thing about 50m from the wall; just an entry/exit portal? Without pulling up the diagram, I was pretty sure they pumped from the Pondage when it suited, though happy to be corrected. Where had all the water gone; the pondage level was no higher than normal, assume gravity must have been sending it the Euc??

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Right, so what's that big round thing about 50m from the wall; just an entry/exit portal? Without pulling up the diagram, I was pretty sure they pumped from the Pondage when it suited, though happy to be corrected. Where had all the water gone; the pondage level was no higher than normal, assume gravity must have been sending it the Euc??
That is the intake structure for the tunnel, and yes, flows to Eucumbene under gravity. They pump from Jindabyne Dam up to the Island Bend Geehi tunnel, which then flows to Geehi.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
That is the intake structure for the tunnel, and yes, flows to Eucumbene under gravity.
Diagram (thanks for the link) suggests that there is natural flow via the River into Lake Jindy (which was only a trickle) and there are pipes to (a) Geehi, (b) Euc and (c) Jindabyne Power Station. It didn't show whether there are pumps. Irrespective, nothing much was going over the wall. The river down further joining up with the Snowy was pure, unadulterated, raging white water on the other hand (combined Burrungubugge & Gungarlin Rivers). Not sure why they never built a dam up that valley, as it always seems to produce a big flow of water?

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Diagram (thanks for the link) suggests that there is natural flow via the River into Lake Jindy (which was only a trickle) and there are pipes to (a) Geehi, (b) Euc and (c) Jindabyne Power Station. It didn't show whether there are pumps. Irrespective, nothing much was going over the wall. The river down further joining up with the Snowy was pure, unadulterated, raging white water on the other hand (combined Burrungubugge & Gungarlin Rivers). Not sure why they never built a dam up that valley, as it always seems to produce a big flow of water?
Jindabyne is not a power station, it's a pumping station only. Although now there is a mini hydro plant at Jindabyne dam, but it has nothing to do with the Jindabyne Island Bend pipeline.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
From elsewhere:

The waters of the Burrungabugge and Gungarlin Rivers were collected at weirs and dropped down the 100m deep Burrungabugge diversion shaft into the Snowy-Eucumbene tunnel which directs the water of the upper Snowy River between Island bend Dam and Eucumbene Dam.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
I love the micro analysis of a community noticeboard.
Same thing was happening here in Wollongong a month or so ago. "they" want to know "who" this person is that "brought" Covid into the community.
After all, we have no cases of covid here, so we can't get a case of covid.
Possible a delivery driver / courier.
or two.
Did the lap Merimbula , Thredders , Jindy , Cooma.....

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Very glad to read you found them! Little big buggers.

Oh man ... was getting worried after 3hrs, it is rugged country up there. So many deer and wallaby, so many nose trails to investigate, a huge dog adventure park. Spotted by a cowgirl out riding and I tracked where I thought they would head from there and .... appeared out of bush when called. To get back to where they escaped from is near vertical Alpine scrub but they appeared to be heading that way.

Buggers slipped out a usually secure house paddock gate left ajar by a minor. My mistake not checking that gate.

Aarrgghhh ....

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
Oh man ... was getting worried after 3hrs, it is rugged country up there. So many deer and wallaby, so many nose trails to investigate, a huge dog adventure park. Spotted by a cowgirl out riding and I tracked where I thought they would head from there and .... appeared out of bush when called. To get back to where they escaped from is near vertical Alpine scrub but they appeared to be heading that way.

Buggers slipped out a usually secure house paddock gate left ajar by a minor.

Aarrgghhh ....
And farmers with guns.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
I am thinking this exercise in your LGA might end up causing the mountains to fall down if there has been people travelling from Cooma to go to the mountains during lockdown.

I don't believe there have been any recorded incidents of transmission outdoors to date in this outbreak. In fact CHO and Premier made a point of saying this many times.
The biggest problem has been indoors in family homes.
Additionally the mountains are unlikely to fall in the next few weeks given that the mountain region is nearly 70% one dose / 40% two doses.

Not saying it can't happen, or we should open up, but its happening in a few weeks anyway.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
I don't believe there have been any recorded incidents of transmission outdoors to date in this outbreak. In fact CHO and Premier made a point of saying this many times.
except that on their travel may stop to get fuel, go to jindy woolys, grab a coffee... creating a suite of exposure sites.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding

Buggers slipped out a usually secure house paddock gate left ajar by a minor. My mistake not checking that gate.

Aarrgghhh ....

So my mate is a big English Springer fan. He is on about his 3rd dog, trains them well, very well exercised.

He rings me about 2 days ago, and said he to the dog for a walk/run down slippery dip trail morgan road. The dog runs away down a trail just on dark, and they took a while to find her.

Get home and their son says what's wrong with the dog.... Dad goes nothing, but later on they notice dogs a bit lethargic, they look for tics etc, but nothing.

They take her to the expensive vet hospital in Forestville, long story short, toxicology ..... dog ingested some marijuana down the trail. He reckons that had to get pizza for the dog on the way home from the vet :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass