The Jindabyne thread..

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
So my mate is a big English Springer fan. He is on about his 3rd dog, trains them well, very well exercised.

He rings me about 2 days ago, and said he to the dog for a walk/run down slippery dip trail morgan road. The dog runs away down a trail just on dark, and they took a while to find her.

Get home and their son says what's wrong with the dog.... Dad goes nothing, but later on they notice dogs a bit lethargic, they look for tics etc, but nothing.

They take her to the expensive vet hospital in Forestville, long story short, toxicology ..... dog ingested some marijuana down the trail. He reckons that had to get pizza for the dog on the way home from the vet :)
Glad the dog is ok now.

we have an English Springer Spaniel. Amazing breed, ours is a little bit racist and ignores most dogs apart from other spaniels

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
That too, although stock safe dogs there are wild problem dogs in that area and .... guns.
A local farmer shot dead my family's Australian Terrier back in the 1950's because he said it was killing his lambs! :mad:

1631010540449.jpeg

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
So my mate is a big English Springer fan. He is on about his 3rd dog, trains them well, very well exercised.

He rings me about 2 days ago, and said he to the dog for a walk/run down slippery dip trail morgan road. The dog runs away down a trail just on dark, and they took a while to find her.

Get home and their son says what's wrong with the dog.... Dad goes nothing, but later on they notice dogs a bit lethargic, they look for tics etc, but nothing.

They take her to the expensive vet hospital in Forestville, long story short, toxicology ..... dog ingested some marijuana down the trail. He reckons that had to get pizza for the dog on the way home from the vet :)
Blardy rich overpaid, underworked vets....

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Right, so what's that big round thing about 50m from the wall; just an entry/exit portal? Without pulling up the diagram, I was pretty sure they pumped from the Pondage when it suited, though happy to be corrected. Where had all the water gone; the pondage level was no higher than normal, assume gravity must have been sending it the Euc??
The big round thing is the intake structure.

Information​

Island Bend Dam impounds the waters of the Snowy River below Guthega Power Station. It's intake shaft connects to the junction of 2 tunnels. Firstly, water can be diverted into Lake Eucumbene for storage via the two way Eucumbene-Snowy tunnel. Returning to the junction at Island Bend the water flows secondly through the Snowy-Geehi tunnel which is joined at its start by a third tunnel from Jindabyne Pumping Station. The flow is one way to Geehi Reservoir to then supply Murray 1 and 2 Power Stations.
The pondage can be covered in ice in July but provides a refreshing swim in January.

When full like it was on Sunday the level in IB is 1185.67m AHD. At the same time Eucumbene was only about 1135m. So gravity sends the water downhill via the tunnel above.
Pls have a look at the pix and read this site:

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Glad the dog is ok now.

we have an English Springer Spaniel. Amazing breed, ours is a little bit racist and ignores most dogs apart from other spaniels

Dogs fine, the owner would stand in front of a truck for her.

The owner always owns purebred with papers. The last 2 males have been very obedient, this one a female, is hilarious she is trained but so naughty, she cracks me up, because he finds her so frustrating.
Great nose, she has been sniffer training since very young as well.

Reactions: skull and dawooduck

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Diagram (thanks for the link) suggests that there is natural flow via the River into Lake Jindy (which was only a trickle) and there are pipes to (a) Geehi, (b) Euc and (c) Jindabyne Power Station. It didn't show whether there are pumps. Irrespective, nothing much was going over the wall. The river down further joining up with the Snowy was pure, unadulterated, raging white water on the other hand (combined Burrungubugge & Gungarlin Rivers). Not sure why they never built a dam up that valley, as it always seems to produce a big flow of water?
16 dams enough in original Snowy Scheme. The weirs at Gun.. and Burr... are just big enough to divert what is really a maximum limited flow of 9.5 and 14.7 cumecs respectively into a deaeration tank and then siphon to flow into the big tunnel going to lake Euc.. from Island B.... Any excess too much for the siphon flows into Lake Jind... where it can be pumped back to M1 and M2 power stations when cheap clean wind and solar power is in excess. PS - choke, splutter , cough -- it was built for coal fired power but pumps don't care where their supply originates. https://www.exploroz.com/places/111390/nsw+burrungubugge-intake

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
For those interested Blister Podcasts have run a pretty good series on mtn accommodation and issues facing mtn towns.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
For those interested Blister Podcasts have run a pretty good series on mtn accommodation and issues facing mtn towns.
A copy of Byron Bay troubles? Locals locked out of rentals whilst weathy city people buy everything up for themselves?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
No the fight back against this. Some towns force people to build a second unit above garages for long term let. Caps on air bnb / short term rentals and properties which must have long term rental.
Wow. Be nice in the Snowy Mountains if the Ski Resorts accommodated all their staff, like they used to do, for starters.
New DA applications might get interesting.
Airbnb stuff....interesting controlling it.
Private holiday homes...what can they do?

Reactions: dawooduck

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
The big round thing is the intake structure.

Information​

Island Bend Dam impounds the waters of the Snowy River below Guthega Power Station. It's intake shaft connects to the junction of 2 tunnels. Firstly, water can be diverted into Lake Eucumbene for storage via the two way Eucumbene-Snowy tunnel. Returning to the junction at Island Bend the water flows secondly through the Snowy-Geehi tunnel which is joined at its start by a third tunnel from Jindabyne Pumping Station. The flow is one way to Geehi Reservoir to then supply Murray 1 and 2 Power Stations.
The pondage can be covered in ice in July but provides a refreshing swim in January.

When full like it was on Sunday the level in IB is 1185.67m AHD. At the same time Eucumbene was only about 1135m. So gravity sends the water downhill via the tunnel above.
Pls have a look at the pix and read this site:
Thansk. I had a quick squizz earlier but have had another look now. The details in the mapping really helps. The tunnels and pipes are so extensive; shame we can't use many of the tracks. There are so many places to explore: many a day I stare up the valley that has Tolbar Creek at it's base; it's like a canyon with such steep faces each side; have heard the choppers with high powered rifles up there on a few occasions so suspect prime spots for grazing ferals?

Reactions: Myazma

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Someone just dropped a tad under 1.2 million for a 4 bedder appartment over on Nettin Circuit.
Those were selling in 2008 for about $300- $400K. They all took a very long time to sell, completed in 2007 from memory.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Wow. Be nice in the Snowy Mountains if the Ski Resorts accommodated all their staff, like they used to do, for starters.
New DA applications might get interesting.
Airbnb stuff....interesting controlling it.
Private holiday homes...what can they do?
Some ski towns are charging rates based on usage of the property so owner occ, then what they call a dark tax (properties owned but not permanently used or rented), then tax on rentals, basically a gst levy.

the idea is any tax levied funds social housing for staff.

the interesting point was that their is no golden solution as every scenario has major issues. For instance one town (maybe Aspen) has laws on the usage of properties so some homes can’t be let out, the issue with these is that they are a quarter of the value of equivalent homes so people aren’t seeing the gains or nest egg equity others get.

Reactions: dawooduck

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Some ski towns are charging rates based on usage of the property so owner occ, then what they call a dark tax (properties owned but not permanently used or rented), then tax on rentals, basically a gst levy.

the idea is any tax levied funds social housing for staff.

the interesting point was that their is no golden solution as every scenario has major issues. For instance one town (maybe Aspen) has laws on the usage of properties so some homes can’t be let out, the issue with these is that they are a quarter of the value of equivalent homes so people aren’t seeing the gains or nest egg equity others get.
But they cost 1/4 to buy.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
But they cost 1/4 to buy.
True but how many people spend their entire life in a ski town? Most of us have equity in our home which we use to fund future moves and retirement (downsizing). The problem this model is seeing is that people buy into these towns for five to ten years and get little return on the funds. In some cases they would have been better staying in the supported housing and investing elsewhere.

Again there doesn’t seem to be a golden answer every solution has a loser it is just a question of who society is most comfortable with losing.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the last Pod in the series. He was a developer and whilst I’m not sure I either trust him or feel he is a good representation of all developers I think he made some interesting points on zoning.

The developer had some really interesting points on vehicle spaces, basically saying if we could not provide car spaces housing would be cheaper. It was an interesting thought based on stuff I have read in Jindy on some developments (nit another back packers).

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
True but how many people spend their entire life in a ski town? Most of us have equity in our home which we use to fund future moves and retirement (downsizing). The problem this model is seeing is that people buy into these towns for five to ten years and get little return on the funds. In some cases they would have been better staying in the supported housing and investing elsewhere.

Again there doesn’t seem to be a golden answer every solution has a loser it is just a question of who society is most comfortable with losing.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the last Pod in the series. He was a developer and whilst I’m not sure I either trust him or feel he is a good representation of all developers I think he made some interesting points on zoning.

The developer had some really interesting points on vehicle spaces, basically saying if we could not provide car spaces housing would be cheaper. It was an interesting thought based on stuff I have read in Jindy on some developments (nit another back packers).

People are able to be realistic with their needs & plans. 1/4 capital outlay carefully planning not to let place out works for me.

Failure to provide car parks is a planning disaster outside places like New York or even Bondi. We have built apartments without car park spaces, everybody else in the neighbourhood hats them because residents cars fill up the street and there is no guest parking. The Planners dream was students without cars would live in these dog boxes but our reckoning that is a about 10% the population who bought/occupy these.

Students without car now tend to live in purpose build tower blocks that are smaller than dog boxes but are good enough for 10 week term stay then back home to India or Asia somewhere for break and return next term.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
People are able to be realistic with their needs & plans. 1/4 capital outlay carefully planning not to let place out works for me.

Failure to provide car parks is a planning disaster outside places like New York or even Bondi. We have built apartments without car park spaces, everybody else in the neighbourhood hats them because residents cars fill up the street and there is no guest parking. The Planners dream was students without cars would live in these dog boxes but our reckoning that is a about 10% the population who bought/occupy these.

Students without car now tend to live in purpose build tower blocks that are smaller than dog boxes but are good enough for 10 week term stay then back home to India or Asia somewhere for break and return next term.

Its not just the cities. Even in regional areas the spec home builders build garages so small they get used for storage whilst all the vehicles park out on the street. Except the streets are so narrow that they really park on the front lawns, or the bit that is supposed to be lawn but ends up a muddy weedy mess. Made worse by every house member having a car. Not uncommon to have 4 car households out this way. And then there's that doer upper under the tarp that steve got for a bargain from the trading post.

Not many garages around long enough to fit the most popular cars. Add a tow ball and bull bar to a dual cab ute and they are about 6.0m long. Lots of old garages are only 5.5m long.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Not uncommon to have 4 car households out this way. And then there's that doer upper under the tarp that steve got for a bargain from the trading post.
ROFL ROFL Are you spying on us? Just joking but this is only part way to our backyard. Add in trailers and motorbikes. And some people have boats and or caravans.

The house I built in Sydney is in a community title estate with most places being built in the late 90s. Requirment was parking for 2 cars. On street parking is not allowed. There is limited visitor parking. Biggest cause of conflict is parking. We have parking for 6 cars even though our kids weren't even at school when we planned this. Looking around you could see that everyone has a car once they get a license. We did why would our kids be different? And then there are they guys where the boat does not fit under the top of the garage door.

Looking at all the new development in East Jindy, I am horrified by the narrow streets and lack of parking that is being allowed. The place that beds for 27 people and 6 car spaces, no public transport, ..... seriously, how can that be anything but a problem in the future?

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Not a bad profit, they bought it for about 750k a couple of years ago, they have spent some money on it though.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010

Again I’m not advocating either way, but I find the debate and the possibilities interesting.

Reactions: skifree

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
but I find the debate and the possibilities interesting.

As I do, but then to have any useful ideas smashed when sitting down with developers. The profit motive over rides all and this goes down to ma & pa investors. Very very few people who care about a life outside profit do anything about it. The enduring attitude is that is a Guvment problem, Guvment can spend money and solve it, so long as it's not in my back yard or next door or in my suburb.

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
Ah I missed heard.
I heard both were close contacts - damn it! I need to go to cooma. But I wont go until I hear the new exposure sites...
I heard that they tested positive at a local
Medical centre, not the Covid testing centre at the hospital.
30 plus people quarantined and the medical centre closed.
Will see what happens from here.

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches

Yep! Urban land is valuable. Car parking takes up a lot of land, especially when you have ownership rates around 1 car per person! And building car spaces costs money - especially when they're underground. All of those costs (including the land value cost) have to be passed on to the buyer.

The same car parking economics apply to large venues like supermarkets and ski resorts.

It also creates a massive challenge, because building more car spaces is like a hamster wheel that you can't get off. The more car spaces you have, the more you need, because the whole town becomes more spread out, and more difficult to service with public transport.

Failure to provide car parks is a planning disaster outside places like New York or even Bondi.

Sort of. It's more of a chicken-and-egg problem. Yes, in a car-dominated environment, street parking is highly contested. But these environments also force or enable people to buy more cars, which compounds the issue.

Except the streets are so narrow that they really park on the front lawns, or the bit that is supposed to be lawn but ends up a muddy weedy mess. Made worse by every house member having a car.

Yep. And in those environments, when you have cars parked everywhere (and often with no footpaths), who would want to walk anywhere?

Biggest cause of conflict is parking. We have parking for 6 cars even though our kids weren't even at school when we planned this. Looking around you could see that everyone has a car once they get a license. We did why would our kids be different? And then there are they guys where the boat does not fit under the top of the garage door.

Looking at all the new development in East Jindy, I am horrified by the narrow streets and lack of parking that is being allowed. The place that beds for 27 people and 6 car spaces, no public transport, ..... seriously, how can that be anything but a problem in the future?

East Jindy is another problem entirely. Not only do they not have transport there, they don't have shops, a school, or... Everything is a car trip away. It's beautiful, but it isn't good planning.

The enduring attitude is that is a Guvment problem, Guvment can spend money and solve it, so long as it's not in my back yard or next door or in my suburb.

Yep. But the problem is that everybody pays for "free" car parking.

These effects are especially pronounced in Jindabyne, which was of course an entirely new town planned in post-war era of car dominance. (Whereas most cities and towns were settled before cars became prominent, so have street networks based on people moving about by walking, cycling, horse and cart, trams, or trains).

In Jindabyne, they even built the car park before they built the town centre!

1631095363619.png

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
I really recommend this 6min video on car parking economics. Note the strong parallels between car-dominated American cities and Jindabyne.

The solution generally involves building more walkable developments close to all the amenities in town, and to good public transport. Gotta get off the hamster wheel. Cars themselves are not bad, but not having any alternatives to car travel is unhealthy in lots of ways.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I really recommend this 6min video on car parking economics. Note the strong parallels between car-dominated American cities and Jindabyne.

The solution generally involves building more walkable developments close to all the amenities in town, and to good public transport. Gotta get off the hamster wheel. Cars themselves are not bad, but not having any alternatives to car travel is unhealthy in lots of ways.
There is a incredibly large development in the heart of Wollongong. Basically 4 city blocks.
Residential, office space , cinema , retail and mixed use.
Its huge
It has zero car spaces allocated.
Zero
Tremendously forward thinking.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
There is a incredibly large development in the heart of Wollongong. Basically 4 city blocks.
Residential, office space , cinema , retail and mixed use.
Its huge
It has zero car spaces allocated.
Zero
Tremendously forward thinking.
That's that WIN bloke.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass