The Jindabyne thread..

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
The fundamental problem with this is having other transport options. So where we are in Sydney, 2 buses a day. Where we are in rural NSW, no public transport at all.

The whole public transport situation is another situation where the have nots subsidise the haves. And now you want to make it 'less easy' to drive.

And I thought the state govt decided on planning rules and the LGAs just enforced them.
Parking max and mins end more to be LGA decisions through DCP's.

Doesn't have to be everywhere, It also doesn't have to be for every trip.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
In Canberra right now, it will cost you maybe $700K for the worst house, in the worst suburb. But you can buy a brand new apartment in a city centre starting from $350K.

The "choice" is happening.
Not in “the” city centre. $400k +

Reactions: telecrag

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
My point I guess is that new home owners are far more likely to buy an apartment now, than ever before. Market forces are stating to dictate higher density living, with all that entails.

Whether this translates into holiday property I’ve no idea.

Reactions: dawooduck and skull

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
How does Zermatt get its wealthy in in manner to their liking, or do they train it like everybody else.

For me if you are going to do the pedestrian friendly minimum car thing in town centre for Jindy, they've got to go all in. Half assed is half assed. Buses, paths and bike tracks is the culture.
Train and then get picked up in luxury golf carts. Alternatively they park in the multilevel carpark on the edge of town and then get picked up in luxury golf carts or helicopter and then get picked up in luxury golf carts. Saas-Fee is the same.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Cooma now has a walk in vaccine clinic, also a pretty good take up so far giving supply and availability.

FB_IMG_1631143834565.jpg
What I read is that it doesn't start till Sunday. And is AZ and still 12 weeks between shots. So a long time till we increase % double dosed.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jacko4650

One of Us
May 15, 2014
bit of a difference between a 1 bed apartment in braddon vs a ex-govi 3/1/1 there is a 2/1/1 townhouse in charny for $495k ATM

That is cheaper than Jindabyne
Reminds me of a time, perhaps 6 years ago, when I was visiting a small ski resort town in Slovakia where I saw a real estate office with ads in the window. I noticed what I assumed was a one-bedder in 3 story apartment complex and thought it was pretty expensive (for Slovakia) at approx $150,000 au, until I realised it was was for the entire building!!!! Prolly a bit different now.

Jacko4650

One of Us
May 15, 2014
Where do I go to have a slowly leaking tyre fixed in Jindy?
Worth checking valve? Do you know how (spit on finger, wipe across valve and check to see if the 'bubble' grows, hence slow leak)? Across our repertoire of equipment, slow leaking valves are common, otherwise nails/screws in tyres (found by pumping up tyre, removing and dipping in a large water container to check for bubbles). Best to check valve first; much easier and pretty simple to replace.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
The side effect is it is bloody hard to get in or out of the driveway due to parked cars, there is no where for guests or delivery or maintenance tradesmen to park.
Welcome to living In Kurrajong street where egas didn’t fill our gas bottles cause they couldn’t park.

Reactions: skifree

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
bit of a difference between a 1 bed apartment in braddon vs a ex-govi 3/1/1 there is a 2/1/1 townhouse in charny for $495k ATM

That is cheaper than Jindabyne
Cause ironically investment properties in ACT are discourage. (Rates or tax being high for investors

Reactions: skull

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Great excuse to ditch gas and electrify!

Except gas to the stove top or hot water heater is still way more cost effective, well in SA. And until we are 100% proper renewables like solar, wind & so on dependable will remain so.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Except gas to the stove top or hot water heater is still way more cost effective, well in SA. And until we are 100% proper renewables like solar, wind & so on dependable will remain so.
Is the grid increasing or decreasing for carbon? Is a gas HWS cheaper to run over the course of its life that a solar-driven heat pump hot water system?

Reactions: art

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I live on a street with the same average annual daily traffic as the Monaro Highway. Parking out the front is illegal or non-existent. We have no garage. It’s a thing. But these are the choices we make when we choose where to live. No one makes us live somewhere. Well, not in the cohort of this thread.

Reactions: Telezacski

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Seriously?
Wow, way to keep the population on the teat of fossil fuels LOL

It costs something like 6 times more gas to generate grid to boil the kettle than boiling it at home.

Refer previous posts te qualifications that full non-fossil fuel power would negate this calculation.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
What? A road useless to deliver stuff off?
It happened to me. I lived on Burns Bay Rd. When I moved in it was clearways at peaks which was reasonable. Then RMA decided to make it all day clearway when the real traffic problem was a set of lights just up the road, and that only at peaks. But we fell victim to an inflexible policy of creating clearways on all arterial roads.

• Sad
Reactions: skifree

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
It happened to me. I lived on Burns Bay Rd. When I moved in it was clearways at peaks which was reasonable. Then RMA decided to make it all day clearway when the real traffic problem was a set of lights just up the road, and that only at peaks. But we fell victim to an inflexible policy of creating clearways on all arterial roads.

And apparently it's your fault to choose to live there.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
It costs something like 6 times more gas to generate grid to boil the kettle than boiling it at home.

Refer previous posts te qualifications that full non-fossil fuel power would negate this calculation.
So it’s useless until we are at 24/7/365 RE?
Crikey.

SA runs about 40% gas on average over the year - this probably won’t change rapidly.

Do you have a ref for the ‘more gas to boil water in an electric kettle than via gas’ - I’d be interested to understand it :)

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Ugghh
These decisions suck.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Do you have a ref for the ‘more gas to boil water in an electric kettle than via gas’ - I’d be interested to understand it

Not to hand but it's basically due to loses in the system which start at burning the gas in the power station then the transmission line losses. The figure might have been for coal at Pt Augusta. So gas at Garden Island would be better but the principle is the same. Apart from the detail that gas in the line is not losing or doing anything until called upon whereas as keeping the grid energised and balanced consumes energy just doing that. So gas for heating and cooking and hot water (the latter is very dependant on use cycles) is the go if it is piped to the home and you have a 100 years supply on tap.

Reactions: Jacko4650
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass