The Jindabyne thread..

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
They'll find a way if the will is there. Not saying its going to happen, just musing.
I doubt they will go to much effort. I have always found the place empty after the second week of September. I cannot see anyone really going to rush in and ski the last week of the season unless they are the usual diehards that normally do it anyway or are locals. And a few of the usual diehards might have been burned by sketchy refunds or were working and got sent home.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Ha ha my original thought when I posted was not that they would try and open but rather a tongue in cheek somewhat cynical 'if they see an opportunity to spin lifts at a ridiculous day ticket price that might just go it'

Reactions: Ozgirl

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
I doubt they will go to much effort. I have always found the place empty after the second week of September. I cannot see anyone really going to rush in and ski the last week of the season unless they are the usual diehards that normally do it anyway or are locals. And a few of the usual diehards might have been burned by sketchy refunds or were working and got sent home.
I just want to get down there to get into the locker room and grab my skis and gear that is in the locker. Oh well hopefully one of my mates down there can get in there and grab them for me.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Considered residential rental.

But GST will just be passed onto the user anyway (price rise), with the owner then able to claim GST on expenses.
It would be passed onto the end user but for some it would be a PITA and mean people choose to lease for the winter period to staff or annual rentals instead of the hassle of the gst.

It’s not a perfect option by any means but it’s an option some US towns are imposing.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
My point I guess is that new home owners are far more likely to buy an apartment now, than ever before. Market forces are stating to dictate higher density living, with all that entails.

Whether this translates into holiday property I’ve no idea.

this is more due to the incentives from the government being for “new property” so for many the easiest way to get on the property wheel is an apartment.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Except owners will just whack the 10% on top and claim GST back on expenses, which they can’t do currently. I would think owners would end up in front and holiday makers will pay more. Getting rid of negative gearing would hit them much harder.
To clarify I am using the term GST as it would be a tax on top of rent but it would not be treated the same as standard gst.

Reactions: skichic
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Just the staff still around would do that maybe. Although I know for a fact you have some people riding out the lockdowns there, a couple of friends of mine relocated to their Jindy house before the shit got real, and some would have moved and done the 14 days there too.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Just wait till the small window of opening up occurs. Every owner is going to hit town with the intention of staying all Summer. This will happen in every holiday town in NSW until the end of January.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
In Canberra right now, it will cost you maybe $700K for the worst house, in the worst suburb. But you can buy a brand new apartment in a city centre starting from $350K.

The "choice" is happening.
1 bedroom no sun?

I saw one for rent today (with some sun) about 15 minutes walk from Civic at $485 per week.

(as an aside, I hate that so many places are sold by auction)

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Except gas to the stove top or hot water heater is still way more cost effective, well in SA. And until we are 100% proper renewables like solar, wind & so on dependable will remain so.

The unit I used to rent, gas stove top. electric everything else. Stupid. $80 per quarter for the connection and supply, a couple of $ for use.
Should have made it electric everything.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Jindy would suck without a car. Even walking from Kirwan close to the shops cutting across the oval was a PITA when I lived there. Work was at East Jindy, doing that for a few weeks when my car died was really irritating (2 hour walk was not fun if I couldn't catch a lift, and a taxi would have eaten too much into my wages)

Reactions: crackson

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
What is with re-using the names of famous buildings for new developments?
1631281947581.png

The largest one in this development is 2.2 million. (3 bed, 3 bath, 3 car spaces)
It would be nice if they included dimensions :tany:

106-206-306-406-506-606.jpg

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
An interesting aside, the resorts ran last season under similar restrictions to the ones we are promised at 70% +16 vaccinated.

Which is .... Monday

Reactions: skifree

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
An interesting aside, the resorts ran last season under similar restrictions to the ones we are promised at 70% +16 vaccinated.

Which is .... Monday
Monday October 18th (probably) for 70% 16+ vaccinated, by which stage the snow in the resorts will be gone:(

Only hope for the resorts is for the lockdown to be lifted in the LGA, which requires 14 days since the last case, currently 2 days, so minimum of another 12 days, assuming no new cases

Reactions: RustyJ and Donza

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT

Which is .... Monday
Sydney won't be unlocked. Also Canberra was able to travel to regional areas last year. Ain’t happening this year before late October if not November. Market is still only regional NSW, and not even all of that.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
A sewerage detection, same for Byron with its "eased restrictions".

Last Cooma contact point was 4th September with a bit of a mystery around "active cases".

The reporting around "covid cases" is really shit.

Reactions: Jacko4650

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
I reckon we are doing a pretty good job of compliance and am not aware of "fake checkins". That said I refuel at EJ and shop once a week.

Could be better, could be worse ....

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
I reckon we are doing a pretty good job of compliance and am not aware of "fake checkins". That said I refuel at EJ and shop once a week.

Could be better, could be worse ....

Let me show you a picture of a "crowded" beach. Not as crowded as Bondi but busy enough. Except these people were spread over a couple of kilometres. Shot with a 300mm telephoto lens, which foreshortens things.

IMG_6222.JPG

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Well, when you have a mental problem, you get scared that the government will somehow manipulate you based on where you shop.

Really? The Guvment is incapable of doing the most basic things (like having people comply with speed limits) how on earth are they going to do anything that sophisticated?

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
Open a lift, and the people from Bondi will be there. See Astro's post in the NSW thread, a group of around 50 people went from Wollongong to kayak at Rose Bay. If they think they can, they will.
Have a Police check point along the way. There should be some underemployed police as they are not being used to enforce the lockdown at Bondi.

Reactions: dawooduck

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
So if there is a covid positive case, the contact tracers don’t know you have been there. It might mean you can avoid going into 14 days of isolation.

Not that I do it, but I suspect that is part of the motivation, along with privacy concerns etc

That is so stupid.

and selfish.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Let me show you a picture of a "crowded" beach. Not as crowded as Bondi but busy enough. Except these people were spread over a couple of kilometres. Shot with a 300mm telephoto lens, which foreshortens things.

IMG_6222.JPG

All moving and separated, good effort :thumbs:

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
edit: I'm not making the case for this behaviour, but more pointing out why some people would. Especially people who don't trust the Govt/Police - refugees anyone??

That is so stupid.

and selfish.

Not really, not if you are concerned about your information being used to implicate you in a crime not associated with the health orders.

I have reminded people constantly over the past 14 months about the need to read the Orders oneself and not rely on Media analysis (never thought I’d be one to use ‘fake news’ term for how some of the outlets are misrepresenting the scope of the Orders – but a shovel is a shovel).

I’ve pointed out to a few friends and family that Cops can only enforce legislation and legislative based regulations (such as the Public Health orders) – they can’t enforce statements made in the media or contained in a media release. This is why they have been cagey to clearly define what essential means as it gave Police more discretion (without needing to go to the Governor to activate the Essential Services Act 1988 as then the cafes would be shut, and we can’t have that apparently).

Same with ‘search powers’ – “LEPRA” – Law Enforcement (Powers and Responsibilities) Act provides a very broad brush. While they need to meet certain criteria to initiate a warrantless search, the threshold can be vague and nebulous – not to mention how the ‘threat’ of being charged with “hindering Police” is often used to ‘help secure consent’ to things that may not be legally required (like producing an electronic device or being told to stop filming a Police op being conducted in a public place). Just look at their stance on strip searches.

I always thought that if there was noise about NSW Police requesting access to check in information on people’s devices (or even by requesting it from Service NSW or NSW Health), many people would start just logging first name and mobile number only on the offline forms held by retailers etc.

Unfortunately, the Berejiklian Government are data junkies and I’ve noticed some interesting clauses in the current Orders:
Public Health (COVID-19 Temporary Movement and Gathering Restrictions) Order 2021
https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/file/Public Health (COVID-19 Temporary Movement and Gathering Restrictions) Order 2021_210719.pdf
24D Directions about providing information
(1) The Minister directs that a person must, if requested to do so by a police officer, provide information, including proof of residence and evidence that the person has been tested for COVID-19, to allow a decision to be made about—
(a) whether the person is an affected worker or a Greater Sydney worker, and
(b) if the person is an affected worker or a Greater Sydney worker, whether the person has complied with this Part.
(2) The Minister also directs that a person who provides information in response to a request under this clause must ensure the information is true and accurate.
So the justification that will be used – even in the ski fields, far away from the current Greater Sydney area – is that NSW Police need to detect people who have travelled from Greater Sydney, or other people who may have transited thru Sydney. They’ll use t hose removalists as an example most likely…

Even juicer is the obvious conflict between these two clauses:
Public Health (COVID-19 Gathering Restrictions) Order (No 2) 2021
https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/file/Public Health (COVID-19 Gathering Restrictions) Order (No 2) 2021_210712.pdf
27 Direction about use and disclosure of contact details
To avoid any doubt, it is directed that contact details provided under clause 25 (25 Directions about persons providing contact details – the bit that sets up mandatory check in requirements) are to be used or disclosed only for the purposes of contact tracing during the COVID-19 pandemic.
28 Direction about information exchange
(1) It is directed that a government sector agency or a NSW Minister (the first agency) is authorised to collect information from, or use or disclose information to, a related agency if the first agency considers it necessary to do so for the purposes of protecting the health or welfare of members of the public during the COVID-19 pandemic.
(2) In this clause— government sector agency has the same meaning as in the Government Sector Employment Act 2013. information includes personal information or health information. NSW Minister means a Minister of the State. related agency means—
(a) a government sector agency or NSW Minister, or
(b) an agency or Minister of the Commonwealth or another State or Territory.

This, along with the burnt on clauses in nearly every piece of legislation granting exemptions for law enforcement purposes – effectively means NSW Police could ask for all check in data and it would HAVE to be provided. So not only can the Cops get the info – so can ScoMo and co…

Finally – the NSW Government COVID page has a “How your information may be used” link to the OAIC not NSW IPC. NSW Government agencies are not bound by the Australian Government’s Privacy Act, so this is weirdly odd….

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
What on earth is the point of that?
Not being tracked by the government - and im guessing it will also conveniently allow unvaccinated people around the future rules too.

The reason people know about it is because the checkin name of the business will be slightly wrong or down right wrong (ie the type Mitre 10 Jindabyne, when Mitre 10 use their entity name)

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Not being tracked by the government - and im guessing it will also conveniently allow unvaccinated people around the future rules too.

The reason people know about it is because the checkin name of the business will be slightly wrong or down right wrong (ie the type Mitre 10 Jindabyne, when Mitre 10 use their entity name)

TBH I don't think apps like this are as much of a problem, as people hand filling in the paper or device that the store is obliged to provide for those who don't want to use their phone.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
TBH I don't think apps like this are as much of a problem, as people hand filling in the paper or device that the store is obliged to provide for those who don't want to use their phone.
I’m concerned about the vax status loophole.
But I would be guessing that the QR code that you can have with your details on it from Service NSW will become mandatory.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass