The Jindabyne thread..

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
Temporarily here at Buttfunknowhere, Back Creek Road, out of Tenterfield. Driving out for a weekly shop for Dad, we see lots of wildlife, American Turkey which made me hungry, Tortoises, Cows/Horses/Sheep/Goats on the road, snakes etc etc. Came to the first sign of bitumen, some 17+ klms from Dad's new 260 acre rock farm and there's a dog standing in the middle of the road, not moving, looking completely lost. Dog looks familiar; its a Maremma. Brother across the creek from Dad has two. It looks so lost and sad, it more or less tried to hitch a ride. Numerous phone calls later we find owner; all good. Turns out they are a fabulous dog for looking after animals out in the paddocks, but absolutely no sense of direction, so can easily get lost after chasing wild dog, pig, kangaroo, wobbly etc. Me thinks they need GPS tracking devices included when sold as pups. Bottom end of my animal like scale. Bark too much too.
We trialled Maremmas at our mine site to protect people from dingos. These dogs are from the Italian alps, you can imagine what they thought when they walked off the plane into a 50 degree Pilbara summer. They kept digging holes to lie in to find cooler ground. We used to fill those holes with ice, and they spent the whole time lying with their bellies on the ice, not giving AF about dingos or anything else. Beautiful dogs but we gave em back pretty quick!

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
The maremma are often used to look after chickens in free range farms, local free range farm near us in Canberra have 3 and a mate had one that he placed with his sheep as he lived off the farm.

Their lack of gps is what makes them good as they will chase off a predator but will often stop and go back to what they are protecting as they aren’t comfortable going far.

Wouldnt want them in the heat

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
4 confirmed cases in town. 1 out of the medical centre, another from one of the day care centres and the other 2 I don’t know. As a result of the first 2; lots of close contacts reported.

If you want testing, Capital Pathology in the medical centre carpark from 12:30 on the days when the regular testing is unavailable. I think it’s available [currently] on Tuesdays and Fridays.
GP advised me to get a test yesterday. Ive just got a cold but with grandkids at daycare and displaying some symptoms, it was a sensible approach and no big deal. Test done around 1:30 p.m. and result back before 7:30 this morning. (Clear) Quick turnaround :thumbs:. Kids fine as well….

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Screenshot_20211126-120402.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Probably since “they were not showing signs of infection”

Very interesting choice of words.
I thought same. I'd bet they still think it's a crock of and probably even reinforced that notion since the only people they know who got infected were amongst the lucky group who had minor illness.

I just can't see people who don't believe something changing their tune unless they are smacked in the face with a bit of four be two labelled with the thing they don't believe in. Of course problem with covid is there is the possibility of them passing it to others who did get hit hard, but they'll wave it away with some shit reason as to why it's nothing to do with them.

That's the curse of Covid, the fact that it is just unproblematic enough for many to not be taken seriously by those who struggle to see past themselves and understand for many others it is a very big deal. If it was Ebola like the gun toting alt-right fanatics in US will probably have built fortresses around their homes and be standing on the walls with guns to keep everyone in a self enforced lockdown for the ages.

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Different.

hatch bay trail jindy.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 7.16.28 am.jpg
Note that VSG pic faces opposite direction to Buckwheats. Same question again. Why was this infrastructure built below FSL? The lake rose another 22 cm on Saturday and could still rise 2 m more to FSL at 911.35 m. Level in pic is 909.35 m or 92%. Bridge and approaches could be underwater for weeks. Change TVT name to TCT - C for canoe LOL

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I thought same. I'd bet they still think it's a crock of and probably even reinforced that notion since the only people they know who got infected were amongst the lucky group who had minor illness.

I just can't see people who don't believe something changing their tune unless they are smacked in the face with a bit of four be two labelled with the thing they don't believe in. Of course problem with covid is there is the possibility of them passing it to others who did get hit hard, but they'll wave it away with some shit reason as to why it's nothing to do with them.

That's the curse of Covid, the fact that it is just unproblematic enough for many to not be taken seriously by those who struggle to see past themselves and understand for many others it is a very big deal. If it was Ebola like the gun toting alt-right fanatics in US will probably have built fortresses around their homes and be standing on the walls with guns to keep everyone in a self enforced lockdown for the ages.
I’d be a tad upset to find out that my allied health worker had been laying hands on me while infectious. Wonder if olive leaf will save them from covid?

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Re

The question I have been pondering is: how long since contact before you know that you definitely have not caught it? Quarrantine was for 14 days so one assumes that is the longest time you need to wait from contact to know that you do not have it. So these guys get told they are a close contact, maybe a day after they have been in contact with the infected person. Get tested that day. Will a negative test show definitely that they don't have covid?

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Re

The question I have been pondering is: how long since contact before you know that you definitely have not caught it? Quarrantine was for 14 days so one assumes that is the longest time you need to wait from contact to know that you do not have it. So these guys get told they are a close contact, maybe a day after they have been in contact with the infected person. Get tested that day. Will a negative test show definitely that they don't have covid?
Yep, we redid tests earlier in the year after taking a closer look at timelines after potential contact.

Reactions: skichanger
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass