The Jindabyne thread..

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
There are no RATs, the butcher is closed and Woolies meat section is very sad.

Plenty of spam and corn ...

Covid in tourist county

Last edited:

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
The whole pretence of Jindabyne localism is sad and pathetic.
Its been a common thread since we towed the caravan from Berridale to Jindabyne in 1995.

The town is pretty toxic in many ways.
I think you are still harbouring some issues from a few years back. Just my opinion. Glass half empty more often.

Reactions: Myazma

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I think you are still harbouring some issues from a few years back. Just my opinion. Glass half empty more often.
Yeah nah.
Just someone who has had a piece of "paradise " for a 1/4 century.
In that time there has been so many different incarnations in the make-up of the fabric of the town.

Currently. Peak hypocrisy.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Nah. Locals are a'holes. So are tourists. So are all the blowins.

Hot girls are ok but everyone else can ggf'ed.
I grew up through my teenage years in Surfers Paradise, tourist capital of Oz at the time. We loved tourists, they provided our parents with jobs and stuff. However, when we were out on the town (yes, widely encouraged by everyone except parents) and the tourists were drunk, think lots of footy clubs, bucks weekends, Brisso's looking for a quickie etc, we (locals) rallied together for safety purposes. It was a real thing; for real reasons. As teenagers become young adults and then parents, there might be some carry over of the term "local" that loses is meaning?

Reactions: crackson

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
1642157709080.gif

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I grew up through my teenage years in Surfers Paradise. We loved tourists, they provided our parents with jobs and stuff. However, when we were out on the town (yes, widely encouraged by everyone except parents) and the tourists were drunk, think lots of footy clubs, bucks weekends, Brisso's looking for a quickie etc, we (locals) rallied together for safety purposes. It was a real thing; for real reasons. As teenagers become young adults and then parents, there might be some carry over of the term "local" that loses is meaning?
So it's true. Those hick town folk are only allowed to breed within?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
Went to town to get some supplies, had a few nice chats, no trouble parking, no queue in Woolies, smiles at the post office, lovely happy hour beer at Banjo, a pleasant drive home although the dirt road is a bit borked from the rain.

Dunno ..... seems a pleasant enough place
Not a Jindy local until you‘ve been to Jindabyne Brewing and caught Covid. Until then your a blow in.

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
7 am coffee at Red Door with your mask hanging below your chin: Local.
Friday night beers at the LJ for the meat Raffle : Local
Detour on a Friday night up Munyang street to miss the cops doing Booze and Drug testing outside the old town centre: Local
Cooma Aldi for your weekly shop: Local
Bumped fist with the local cop in Woolies: Local
Get your hair cut at Tony’s Barber shop in Vale Street Cooma.: Definitely Local
Wally Weston knows your name and says gidday : Local
You never eat at Angie’s even though Angie knows you by first name : Local enough
You get Local prices at the Chemist: Local
The mechanic fits your car in for a regular service in Winter: Local
You ski Perisher : Local
You don’t have a lift pass and ski the main range and Dead Horse Gap; : Mostly Local

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
7 am coffee at Red Door with your mask hanging below your chin: Local.
Friday night beers at the LJ for the meat Raffle : Local
Detour on a Friday night up Munyang street to miss the cops doing Booze and Drug testing outside the old town centre: Local
Cooma Aldi for your weekly shop: Local
Bumped fist with the local cop in Woolies: Local
Get your hair cut at Tony’s Barber shop in Vale Street Cooma.: Definitely Local
Wally Weston knows your name and says gidday : Local
You never eat at Angie’s even though Angie knows you by first name : Local enough
You get Local prices at the Chemist: Local
The mechanic fits your car in for a regular service in Winter: Local
You ski Perisher : Local
You don’t have a lift pass and ski the main range and Dead Horse Gap; : Mostly Local
No grandparent in the cemetary, blow in.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011

Jindabyne snow sport centre revamp to support​

future Winter Olympians​

A million-dollar mega donation from a snow sport enthusiast is expected to help send generations of Australian athletes to the Winter Olympic Games.

With the Beijing Games just around the corner, Australia’s future Winter Olympians have secured a huge win thanks to a mega donation from businessman John Hancock.
Snow Australia has Mr Hancock to thank for its new national snow sport training centre revamp after the grandson of mining magnate Lang Hancock donated more than $1 million to secure its development.
The cash looks to be well spent, going toward housing a high performance training as well as a sports medicine and recovery unit.
93af18d9f19c1a0d878787f89718d656.jpg

John Hancock has donated more than $1 million to Snow Australia for their new home of winter sports. Picture: Supplied
Mr Hancock, a snow sports enthusiast himself, said the centre at Jindabyne would pay tribute to his grandfather.
ecf983fd352e5043ef1b7c42aa601b20.jpg

Hancock is the grandson of mining magnate Lang Hancock. Picture: Sam Mooy
“I am delighted to now be in a position to help an even wider group of Australian athletes and sports professionals achieve success on the snow,” he said.
“Anyone using the new NSTC will be able to access world-class facilities and develop the skills, fitness and athlete services that are required to be successful both on snow and in life.
“Skiing has given so much to our family and I’m thrilled to give back in this way.”
8a32de7bdc8ed2cca485f6865aa08a4f.jpg

An architect’s renders of the revamped national snow sport training centre. Picture: Supplied
Snow Australia CEO Michael Kennedy said the project would benefit generations of Aussie hopefuls and the connections the Hancocks forged watching the Freestyle World Cup in America inspired the cash donation.
“John and his family had the opportunity to meet the athletes and watch them in action on the world stage. They were so inspired by what they had experienced that they pledged then and there to support the next generation of Australian snow athletes,” he said.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding

Jindabyne snow sport centre revamp to support​

future Winter Olympians​

A million-dollar mega donation from a snow sport enthusiast is expected to help send generations of Australian athletes to the Winter Olympic Games.

With the Beijing Games just around the corner, Australia’s future Winter Olympians have secured a huge win thanks to a mega donation from businessman John Hancock.
Snow Australia has Mr Hancock to thank for its new national snow sport training centre revamp after the grandson of mining magnate Lang Hancock donated more than $1 million to secure its development.
The cash looks to be well spent, going toward housing a high performance training as well as a sports medicine and recovery unit.
93af18d9f19c1a0d878787f89718d656.jpg

John Hancock has donated more than $1 million to Snow Australia for their new home of winter sports. Picture: Supplied
Mr Hancock, a snow sports enthusiast himself, said the centre at Jindabyne would pay tribute to his grandfather.
ecf983fd352e5043ef1b7c42aa601b20.jpg

Hancock is the grandson of mining magnate Lang Hancock. Picture: Sam Mooy
“I am delighted to now be in a position to help an even wider group of Australian athletes and sports professionals achieve success on the snow,” he said.
“Anyone using the new NSTC will be able to access world-class facilities and develop the skills, fitness and athlete services that are required to be successful both on snow and in life.
“Skiing has given so much to our family and I’m thrilled to give back in this way.”
8a32de7bdc8ed2cca485f6865aa08a4f.jpg

An architect’s renders of the revamped national snow sport training centre. Picture: Supplied
Snow Australia CEO Michael Kennedy said the project would benefit generations of Aussie hopefuls and the connections the Hancocks forged watching the Freestyle World Cup in America inspired the cash donation.
“John and his family had the opportunity to meet the athletes and watch them in action on the world stage. They were so inspired by what they had experienced that they pledged then and there to support the next generation of Australian snow athletes,” he said.

Instagram... one of the kids training last week, scroll to the last video, gives you a sense of the size of the jump/bag

Sprinklers to keep everything wet and slidy, and I heard they were using candle wax on the boards? Surely not.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Makes me feel so much better knowing we got the best slide jump and spin and stay uprighters in the world. My mental health is all the better for it. Such a good spend.

This country sure does waste some money on useless pursuits. Goes for all professional sports. Its just adds for gear companies proped up by government funding. Imagine a world where this kid was doing something that actually advanced humanity.

Bring back the amateurs.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Makes me feel so much better knowing we got the best slide jump and spin and stay uprighters in the world. My mental health is all the better for it. Such a good spend.

This country sure does waste some money on useless pursuits. Goes for all professional sports. Its just adds for gear companies proped up by government funding. Imagine a world where this kid was doing something that actually advanced humanity.

Bring back the amateurs.
Progress. Enjoy. It. :thumbs:

Reactions: Nidecker

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
March flies are the pollenator for all the pretty alpine flowers.
Photographic proof of this from last weekend. Zoom in.

4B79A3D5-C5B6-4A31-97A4-68623AA1621E.jpeg

They were in fine form last weekend, long sleeves, pants and gaiters work plus some new stuff I bought from Mont “Lifesystems Expedition Plus” 95% Deet. Waiting for some extra appendages to grow.

Took my boots off to treat blisters at one point and had to spray my socks, little bastards were right into it, through the socks.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass