The Jindabyne thread..

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
My original comment

was in response to this.

The one road I alluded to was clearly the Hume.
Apart from the Barton, and arguably the Federal, and the Hume, every other road has been coastal or on top off the ranges.

The responses seem to indicate that people don't even know that inland Australia exists, :doh:
Or that there’s not many inland roads that have median separation :)

Generally the inland roads have lower numbers of vehicles - which makes it harder to attract funding.

As we (Aust) moves more fully to a Safe Systems approach to roads, which acknowledges that crashes can occur anywhere, we see more road upgrades and changes which will include safe systems elements, particularly median barriers (prevents or reduces the severity of head-ons) wider lanes and wider shoulders (allowed increased recover time from an issue) and shoulder barriers (minimises or reduces run off road, run off road hit object crashes.

Removing at-grade conflict intersections is also a great thing but harder to do (land take, cost, etc, etc).

Reactions: skifree

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
My original comment

was in response to this.

The one road I alluded to was clearly the Hume.
Apart from the Barton, and arguably the Federal, and the Hume, every other road has been coastal or on top off the ranges.

The responses seem to indicate that people don't even know that inland Australia exists, :doh:
The other possibility is that one bit of Australia has trouble with the meaning of 'coastal'.

• Haha
Reactions: skichanger

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Noted this whilst searching for something else on the web (you know how you can get sidetracked?) and I thought of the accommodation issues for staff around Jindabyne.
Highest price $240 a week (minimum of 12 months though). For somebody like ASPEN to invest, there must be a return. Their speciality is long term cabin accommodation in converted caravan parks for over 50's and tourist parks.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Noted this whilst searching for something else on the web (you know how you can get sidetracked?) and I thought of the accommodation issues for staff around Jindabyne.
Highest price $240 a week (minimum of 12 months though). For somebody like ASPEN to invest, there must be a return. Their speciality is long term cabin accommodation in converted caravan parks for over 50's and tourist parks.

The "Classic room" sounds delightful:

'As it is an internal bedroom adjacent to the Kitchen area, there is no external window.'

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
The "Classic room" sounds delightful:

'As it is an internal bedroom adjacent to the Kitchen area, there is no external window.'

However, when you look at the details the rooms are either 4 or 6 bedrooms within an apartment. Those 4-6 share a kitchen and a lounge, which do have windows.

Interesting concept, and will be interesting to see how it goes.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
since forever
very primitive driving conditions - twisty and one lane each way
in the 70s a friend of mine rolled a VW beetle in a fog and hit a bridge stanchion
I was driving behind him, lucky not to be a double [not a fatality]
Its nowhere near as bad as it was.
Every time I drive it...usually 2..3 times a year it gets better.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
since forever
very primitive driving conditions - twisty and one lane each way
in the 70s a friend of mine rolled a VW beetle in a fog and hit a bridge stanchion
I was driving behind him, lucky not to be a double [not a fatality]
There are some very aged bridges. Must have made em well in the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. One south of Brogo is over 90 years old.

Me+3

One of Us
Jun 26, 2014
@Donza what was the outcome with some of the semi-permanent vans getting moved at the NRMA park ? i remember it caused quite the ruckus at the time.. all settled down now ? what's the current setup with your 'contract/lease' ?
I ask as a close friend of mine is going through a similar situation in a park near Forster.. gave them all marching orders 13 months ago and advised of alternative available locations within the park, but they still don't have a DA for the revamp of the park ha ha

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Monorail.....monorail.....

Reflecting on my original proposal, I would like to extend the idea to include transport from say the station resort through Jindy, out to the ski tube and then on to Thredbo.

Maybe via the top of the twin valleys as well :)

If this idea doesn't get up, I will be very disappointed at the lack of vision others around here have!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
@Donza what was the outcome with some of the semi-permanent vans getting moved at the NRMA park ? i remember it caused quite the ruckus at the time.. all settled down now ? what's the current setup with your 'contract/lease' ?
I ask as a close friend of mine is going through a similar situation in a park near Forster.. gave them all marching orders 13 months ago and advised of alternative available locations within the park, but they still don't have a DA for the revamp of the park ha ha
Who knows mate.

I've written 20 emails that are yet to get a reply.

The whole thing is pretty shit.

Reactions: Jacko4650 and Me+3
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Snow Frothinator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 9, 2021
Nice morning here at the Lake

20220514_163730-1.jpg

Me+3

One of Us
Jun 26, 2014
Discovery parks cancelling sites due to water level....
The EC may actually get some customers this year
Only other option is Dalgety.
or Ski Tube Long Stay Car Park ? bound to occur surely ? or do Council/NPWS monitor it as well ?

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Discovery parks cancelling sites due to water level....
The EC may actually get some customers this year
Only other option is Dalgety.
or Ski Tube Long Stay Car Park ? bound to occur surely ? or do Council/NPWS monitor it as well ?
Just an extra squeeze on accomodation for guests and staff…

When I spotted the news headline below I thought “surely this is Jindy”. Nope, WA.
But the article addresses the same issues we are facing in Jindabyne (and so many other tourist towns right now).

However the big thing to note is they ARE doing something about it with a 200 bed staff housing project. It won’t be near enough, but it’s a start.

“Workers who keep regional towns alive forced to sleep in their cars”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05...risis-forces-people-to-sleep-in-car/101068440

Reactions: skifree and Me+3

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Just managing one in the wind would be hard enough, let alone landing one? Not that I know anything about ballooning :p
When you are off the ground you feel no wind, as the balloon drifts with the prevailing wind (except when the envelope is in one windstream and the basket is in another). No management required except hopping between windstreams. Landing is a different issue. I have had one bumpy landing in the Hunter which was a bit of a drag and a walk out to a road.

Reactions: Nidecker

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
20220529_152626.jpg

… Cecilia, you're breaking my heart
You're shaking my confidence daily
Oh Cecilia, I'm down on my knees
I'm begging you please to come home

Reactions: scottski