The Jindabyne thread..

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
re: "hints he had issues" I think many people suggested that without much foundation.

What he did was in my eyes extraordinarily out of character, and I suspect/know extremely drug related. I knew him very well, dinners at my house / coached my daughter a couple of years etc, so my comments are based on my personal experience with him, not second hand via a childs eyes.

The reality possibly is, that when he was first employed several years prior, there may not have been a problem, but in the ensuing years, a drug problem manifested itself.

I'm not sure how you catch what was probably a spiral out of control as opposed to, he came to Perisher with significant existing problems.

Probably would never have picked it up as part of the initial onboarding process, but may have exposed it as part of ongoing drug testing of staff. I don't personally have an issue with drug testing of staff, but some people do.

PWSC was pretty much cleaned out from the top down following that incident, and doubt that the current senior leadership will have a similar problem. But hey you never know.
Thanks - I appreciate the honesty as I know you knew him well.

On your other points I tend to agree.

Reactions: skifree and nezumi

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Yep I’m unsure of how much more the resort could have done (which yes in some ways is scary).

But having worked for the resort in recent years I have been subjected to WWC checks and reviews (Ie when it expired have had to provide new details) and I have had RBT done before start. No drug testing though.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
My understanding is that he was known for similar behaviour in Canada, but that could be hearsay too. It is certainly an example of what happens when apparently decent, normal people get on the drugs, it can destroy not only their own lives but others as well.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
My understanding is that he was known for similar behaviour in Canada, but that could be hearsay too. It is certainly an example of what happens when apparently decent, normal people get on the drugs, it can destroy not only their own lives but others as well.
I believe once charged in Australia there were unsolved cases re opened overseas to investigate. But there is nothing to suggest he was charged.

Yep I’m unsure of how much more the resort could have done (which yes in some ways is scary).

But having worked for the resort in recent years I have been subjected to WWC checks and reviews (Ie when it expired have had to provide new details) and I have had RBT done before start. No drug testing though.

I’m not sure what I expect or what any resort / employer can do. WWC is a start, but it’s really just that a start. The issue I see is that as we move forward with staff shortages will business just be happy to get someone.

As @Nidecker says the program has been cleaned out so maybe Perisher decided to start fresh or did an internal review and kept it private.

All that said I vaguely recall NZ has stricter laws for workers in adventure activities and testing was required.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Budget today.
  • $24.2 million Cooma Hospital redevelopment.
  • $69.4 million in 2022-23 for construction of the Jindabyne Education Campus.
  • $11.5 million to continue construction on the Monaro Highway upgrade program
  • $13.0 million to deliver the construction of Jindabyne/ Perisher/Thredbo Police Stations Program.
  • $27.2 million upgrade to the Snowies Iconic Walk.
  • $391.3 million for the implementation of the Snowy Mountains Special Activation Precinct.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
some snippets from today's NSW budget 2022-23

Investing in the Southern Connector Road Jindabyne to improve travel time - can't find the allocation

Snowy Mountains Special Activation Precinct
The precinct will leverage the region’s unique cultural and environmental attributes to establish a resilient year-round tourism destination as Australia’s alpine capital. It will focus on improving transport connectivity within the precinct, conserving and enhancing important environmental and heritage values, and supporting Jindabyne’s growth as Australia’s national centre for recreation as well as elite sports.
$391.3 million (ETC, including $25.0 million Pre-Delivery Works, allocation $41.9 million 2022-23

New and upgraded police stations
New and upgraded police stations in Bega, Goulburn, Jindabyne area (including Jindabyne, Perisher and Thredbo) and Bourke, and a new police education and training centre at Dubbo.
$102.7 million (ETC)

Jindabyne Education Campus Jindabyne
$69.4 million [this looks a bit iffy]

Gaden Trout Hatchery - Educational Tourism Destination
$3.2 million
different source from @Donza

Gargamel

Addicted
May 28, 2022
Jindy has a drug problem.
I finished year 12 in 1999. I had a close bunch of friends who all did pretty well academically.

Year 2000, most of these guys moved to Jindabyne to do a season. Moved there just before the big dump of snow.

I very nearly joined them but instead took on a full time job in Sydney. The first week of annual leave I saved up, I went down and stayed with them in August.

It was wild, booze, weed, ecstasy, cocaine these guys were partying hard. The station had the infamous ‘blizzard’ parties. Some were lifties, kitchen hands, babysitters, bar tenders. They were smashed, even at work.

My very best friend (since Kindergarten) wound up a total junkie. Meth, in jail, he lives in a housing commission estate in a shithole suburb these days. You look and talk to him - he is barely recognisable- the guy I grew up with is no longer.

ALL the other guys have faced differing degrees of substance abuse. And these kids came from good, loving families.

Drug policy is not easy. No I don’t think we should lock up someone who has mental health issues and has turned to drugs in desperation. But I don’t want to make it easy for young, impressionable, adventurous types to stumble into the Rabbit Warren of drug use either.

Sniffer dogs at Jindabyne? If they save just one persons teenage child, it’s worth it.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Drug policy is not easy. No I don’t think we should lock up someone who has mental health issues and has turned to drugs in desperation. But I don’t want to make it easy for young, impressionable, adventurous types to stumble into the Rabbit Warren of drug use either.
Prohibition didn't stop it being easy for your friends to get drugs.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I finished year 12 in 1999. I had a close bunch of friends who all did pretty well academically.

Year 2000, most of these guys moved to Jindabyne to do a season. Moved there just before the big dump of snow.

I very nearly joined them but instead took on a full time job in Sydney. The first week of annual leave I saved up, I went down and stayed with them in August.

It was wild, booze, weed, ecstasy, cocaine these guys were partying hard. The station had the infamous ‘blizzard’ parties. Some were lifties, kitchen hands, babysitters, bar tenders. They were smashed, even at work.

My very best friend (since Kindergarten) wound up a total junkie. Meth, in jail, he lives in a housing commission estate in a shithole suburb these days. You look and talk to him - he is barely recognisable- the guy I grew up with is no longer.

ALL the other guys have faced differing degrees of substance abuse. And these kids came from good, loving families.

Sniffer dogs at Jindabyne? If they save just one persons teenage child, it’s worth it.
And in things that didn't happen volume 1

Principal Douglas

Lapsed Perisher Skier
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW
$100? Ripped off. I was at all those Blizzard parties, out most nights, drinking something every night. Work, ski, party, work, ski, party, party, party. I had a large group of seasonal friends and I don't recall any of them becoming junkies. I know guys that maybe smoked a bit too much but they're still functioning and arguably happier than me LOL

I don't know if I was trying to make a point. Just sharing my experiences.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
$100? Ripped off. I was at all those Blizzard parties, out most nights, drinking something every night. Work, ski, party, work, ski, party, party, party. I had a large group of seasonal friends and I don't recall any of them becoming junkies. I know guys that maybe smoked a bit too much but they're still functioning and arguably happier than me LOL

I don't know if I was trying to make a point. Just sharing my experiences.
This.
Ditto.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
Regulate it.
(whatever regulating it means...)
this is a big problem, concept v execution
I have no interest in the prohibition approach - has it ever worked?
but regulating our current major addictions ie alcohol and gambling - does that work?
even if it wanted to change the system, government appears powerless to resist the influence of the major players
the recent US approach with weed has had some interesting outcomes, not nec very satisfying to the original supporters
if they are leading to a Big Dope lobby that has a powerful influence on government, same old story
is that in the public interest?

Reactions: Myazma and telecrag
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
How come I read about this in facebook before here?
BlueHue posted it in another thread, as they couldn't find this one...which means they must have me on ignore.

Anyways. One of the best bits of info in there.

Any customers staying at resorts may also bring one bag weighing up to 20 kilograms but are encouraged to use off-peak services in the middle of the day.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
BlueHue posted it in another thread, as they couldn't find this one...which means they must have me on ignore.

Anyways. One of the best bits of info in there.

Any customers staying at resorts may also bring one bag weighing up to 20 kilograms but are encouraged to use off-peak services in the middle of the day.
Ha ha I have no one on ignore, I like reading everyone's crap, even the slithery one is good for entertainment.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Noticed a new Koala road sign on the Jindi side of Berridale, never known to have Koalas on the Monaro. Any info Tphat?

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
News to me. My interest is primarily soils, then invasive species. I always thought Koalas started at the Eastern escarpment.
One turned up in Bombala 20 years ago, was big news, lost presumably from coastal regions. Mating calls recently reported in Byadbo wilderness area but that's a long way across treeless farmland from Berridale.

Reactions: dawooduck

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
I’ve wondered especially lately with some decent km covered. How real are these animal signs or are they often randomly placed to get people to pay attention.

Did get very close to a top on that trip. Think I might have kissed it’s tail. But nothing of the other animal signs

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I’ve wondered especially lately with some decent km covered. How real are these animal signs or are they often randomly placed to get people to pay attention.

Did get very close to a top on that trip. Think I might have kissed it’s tail. But nothing of the other animal signs
Usually related to animal strike history.

Reactions: KylePee

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Reactions: dawooduck

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
And
They are moving in . New sign at the top of the range on the snowy valley way between the station and dalgety . Havent seen any yet . Seen lots on wombats ,foxes ,emus,roos and a huge deer neer beloka cemetery last night
And puddy cats.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
They are moving in . New sign at the top of the range on the snowy valley way between the station and dalgety . Havent seen any yet . Seen lots on wombats ,foxes ,emus,roos and a huge deer neer beloka cemetery last night
just trying to reconcile that with predictions of extinction. are they migrating because of climate and loss of habitat, and reducing on numbers at the same time, or are they ex pi landing range and numbers?

Marquise de Kappy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2010
Redfern
I had to wait for one to cross the highway out of Gunnedah once. The puzzling thing was that there were only widely scattered trees in sight.
Being a girl from the namoi area, Gunneddah does maybe did have a huge koala population hence the title. Large colony running aside Kamilaroi hignway near Curlewis.

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 4.53.05 am.png

Marquise de Kappy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2010
Redfern
Maybe koala conso dept moving and implanting them around different areas to try and sustain species.

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
https://the-riotact.com/make-jindab...-momentum-amid-sexual-assault-concerns/569765

'Make Jindabyne Safe Again' movement gains momentum amid sexual assault concerns​

24 June 2022 | Claire Fenwicke

Lake-Jindabyne-TSM-1024x390.jpg

Criminal statistics show the Snowy Monaro region experiences a spike in sexual assaults around Christmas and the school holidays, suggesting a seasonal trend. Photo: Tourism Snowy Mountains.
“Alarming issues” related to sexual assault in Jindabyne have pushed the local government to explore options to make the town feel safer for locals and tourists alike.
Councillors agreed more needed to be done to improve safety in Jindabyne at a recent Snowy Monaro Regional Council meeting.
Councillor Louise Frolich urged the council to explore grant opportunities and investigate better transport and infrastructure solutions for the town.
Cr Frolich pointed to a recent petition as inspiration for the push.
“The reason [for this motion] is in response to alarming issues the Jindabyne community has faced, not just last month, but in recent times,” she said.
“I’m asking we use council resources to apply for any available grants or funding opportunities for the purpose of lighting, transport and the like.”
https://the-riotact.com/alleged-bik...l-media-influencer-he-met-in-nightclub/569112
The petition Cr Frolich referred to was created by Jindabyne local Taylor Holland.
She said she was spurred into action after “hearing countless stories of sexual assaults, drink spiking and women being stalked through their [mobile devices].”
“Just recently, my best friend was assaulted while walking home at night,” Ms Holland said.
“This is why I am calling on the Snowy Monaro Regional Council to make Jindabyne safe: install street lighting and provide more public transport options at night.”
She said these actions would help make the community feel safer.
“We do not want our beautiful town to be a place where women and men are too scared to walk home at night,” Ms Holland said.
“The community is fed up with feeling unsafe.”
Mayor Narelle Davis said it was important for the voices of local community service providers to be added to the conversation.
“The past two years of COVID have probably not supported those [providers] well and we need to re-ignite those processes,” she said.
“There are so many opportunities in regards [to improving community safety] … there’s lots actively happening behind the scenes to support a safe community program in Jindabyne.”
https://the-riotact.com/aps-appointment-means-public-service-reform-is-on-the-way/569490
Council’s manager of community services has begun organising a meeting of key stakeholders to discuss community safety, including police, the Liquor Accord, resorts and community support groups and services.
The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, 5 July.
Data showed sexual assault rates in the Snowy Monaro were, at times, twice as high as the NSW average, with monthly fluctuations.
A spokesperson from the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research (BOCSAR) said this could suggest a “seasonal trend”.
“The spikes, particularly during the Christmas period, as well as the school holidays, are possibly attributed to an increase in individuals present in the area,” they said.
“The exception to this seasonality is the two lockdown periods (March – May 2020 and July – October 2021) where we see a drop in the rate of sexual assault.”
image009-1200x403.png

Incidents of sexual offences (sexual assault) in the Snowy Monaro local government area from April 2019 to March 2022 (orange line) compared with NSW (blue line). Image: NSW Bureau of Criminal Statistics and Research.
The rate of sexual assault in the Snowy Monaro in the year to March 2022 was 104.8, higher than NSW’s rate of 85.9. Both the region and the state saw an increase in the rate from 2020.
While sexual assaults have remained stable in NSW over the past three years, the trend was more difficult to track for the Snowy Monaro as there were too few observations to calculate one reliably.
However, the BOCSAR spokesperson said numbers appeared to remain “fairly stable”.
Extra police were deployed to the Snowy Monaro region as part of Operation Snow Safe, targeting road safety, anti-social behaviour and personal safety.
A NSW Police spokesperson said officers conducted regular patrols of licenced venues and, in particular, took sexual assault reports “very seriously”.
“No matter the season, police want people to go out and enjoy themselves at our licenced premises but end the night on the right terms,” they said.
“Those who commit serious offences such as assault, get caught supplying drugs in a licenced venue or spike another patron’s drinks can expect to be charged.
“Police will simply not tolerate any anti-social behaviour – the safety of the community is our number one priority.”
https://the-riotact.com/cold-cases-printed-on-prison-playing-cards-in-bid-for-fresh-leads/569234
Region asked if police knew about the assault mentioned in Ms Holland’s petition but did not receive an answer. It was not clear if Ms Holland’s friend reported the alleged assault.
Sexual assault remained one of the most under-reported crimes in NSW.
Anyone who believes they may be the victim of a crime has been urged to contact their local police station to make a report.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Gees you guys are bringing up childhood memories. Breeza and Curlewis…we flew gliders out of Quirindi, Somerton, Bellata and Lake Keepit.
No paticular memories of Koalas though lots of memories of other wildlife.

When I fly over that area on the way back to Sydney it is so changed. The mines dominate. Very sad.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass