The Jindabyne thread..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
For the locals can anyone recommend a cafe or other place in Jindabyne to sit and do some work during the day on the weekend, ideally with powerpoint to charge laptop?
Bowlo has free wifi and couches. donna would like help you with an extension cord if you need it.

Alternatively I dont think Parc would mind either.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Marquise de Kappy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2010
Redfern
So has anyone been to the new mexican place where the fish & chips was and if so, how do you rate? Partner craving fish tacos. Ive been assigned mission to find out.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
So has anyone been to the new mexican place where the fish & chips was and if so, how do you rate? Partner craving fish tacos. Ive been assigned mission to find out.

Yep we have been a couple of times, good to support a couple of local peeps having a go.

I wanna say the head chef was head chef at Birchwood. The food when we visited was very very fresh, with a slightly modern take.

I would recommend.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
I went for a drive down to the lake foreshore today, water was like glass. Looked like great conditions for a foot or ski if you were brave enough to suffer the cold.

What wasn’t so great is the absolute mess that’s down there from the 4x4 and Van lifers. Sections of the road are so dug up I’d be surprised if people haven’t got their vans stuck.

70DF879A-D8DC-473F-9DFC-4B255EA185C1.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: elSpike

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
I went for a drive down to the lake foreshore today, water was like glass. Looked like great conditions for a foot or ski if you were brave enough to suffer the cold.

What wasn’t so great is the absolute mess that’s down there from the 4x4 and Van lifers. Sections of the road are so dug up I’d be surprised if people haven’t got their vans stuck.

Very sad with the loss of trees.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014

I go there often and can assure you it's not the van lifers that have caused the mess. That's actually the first one I've seen game enough to go through that narly mud patch.
Firstly, the basic infrastructure for vehicles is a clusterf%&k. Secondly, there are lots of locals and tourists alike that just like to drive down into that area in the photo - just cos! I've seen so many just taking their dogs in their vehicles through that area because they can; or they're lazy.
Council are broke. The road leading to the primary toilet block for locals and visitors alike at the clay pits is a complete joke. Buses ful of terrorists are bottoming out and others just turn around. Whilst bitumen will be put on roads in private developments, ashphalt will be sprayed on the road out front of my place due to budgetary constraints (ie: spray on black tar, add gravel, repeat).
I think this is why State Gummint funding via the SAP for projects like the bypass is important; they can do it properly in the first place.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
I go there often and can assure you it's not the van lifers that have caused the mess. That's actually the first one I've seen game enough to go through that narly mud patch.
Firstly, the basic infrastructure for vehicles is a clusterf%&k. Secondly, there are lots of locals and tourists alike that just like to drive down into that area in the photo - just cos! I've seen so many just taking their dogs in their vehicles through that area because they can; or they're lazy.
Council are broke. The road leading to the primary toilet block for locals and visitors alike at the clay pits is a complete joke. Buses ful of terrorists are bottoming out and others just turn around. Whilst bitumen will be put on roads in private developments, ashphalt will be sprayed on the road out front of my place due to budgetary constraints (ie: spray on black tar, add gravel, repeat).
I think this is why State Gummint funding via the SAP for projects like the bypass is important; they can do it properly in the first place.
It’s certainly worse than last time I went down there. I’m surprised people got their cars into the car park at the toilet block. Rough is an understatement. Obviously driving over it in wet conditions will only continue to make the sections worse. But last time I drove down there I would have been able to get the boat trailer down there and launch the boat from the shore (not that I would, perfectly good ramp at the other end).

Reactions: Jacko4650
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
(ie: spray on black tar, add gravel, repeat).
They’re doing that along middlingbank rd today, the truck they’re using has boom at the front that’s remotely controlled. They’re not even getting out of the vehicle. Maybe they’ll be back around your place next? Ha.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
They’re doing that along middlingbank rd today, the truck they’re using has boom at the front that’s remotely controlled. They’re not even getting out of the vehicle. Maybe they’ll be back around your place next? Ha.
Yep, the section out front of my place is ready to go, layer upon layer upon layer of foundations, geo matting, 25mm gravel, roadbase, white powdery stuff etc. It's only taken them 1.75 years!
I don't know if there are any local operators to do asphalting, so prolly over to my place next if contractors are in town (soon, hope, fingers crossed, legs crossed etc)

Reactions: Marty McSly

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW

Its a jet patcher. For small repair or temporary patch up of potholes.

@Jacko - bitumen is spray seal stuff. Stick gravel on the surface of compacted road base. Thats most roads. Nothing wrong with this surface provided the base is prepped properly. These day lime is mixed with the road base to help cement it together and stabilise it. Even most urban roads in the regions are made like this.

Asphalt is your hot mix still gear that is placed and rolled into a thick layer. Much more expensive. Usually only applied on highways where noise is a concern.

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Yep, the section out front of my place is ready to go, layer upon layer upon layer of foundations, geo matting, 25mm gravel, roadbase, white powdery stuff etc. It's only taken them 1.75 years!
I don't know if there are any local operators to do asphalting, so prolly over to my place next if contractors are in town (soon, hope, fingers crossed, legs crossed etc)
You might be able to get into it around early October ;)

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Seemed to have a done a decent job and was quick. Drove over all the repairs on the way back. They have some road crew with a bobcat in sections where they are putting dirt down and sealing over the top. I’m guessing worse than a small patch will fix. Contractors had some signs saying Riverina. So have come from the west.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

@Jacko - bitumen is spray seal stuff. Stick gravel on the surface of compacted road base. Thats most roads. Nothing wrong with this surface provided the base is prepped properly. These day lime is mixed with the road base to help cement it together and stabilise it. Even most urban roads in the regions are made like this.

Asphalt is your hot mix still gear that is placed and rolled into a thick layer. Much more expensive. Usually only applied on highways where noise is a concern.

Even then it’s mainly only open grade asphalt that’s much better for noise (~3dB). It also drains better so can be used when designers want to manage water sheeting to minimise aquaplaning risks, etc.

Pavement design is a mix of use, need, anticipated life, available materials, costs, etc.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Between the van life crew and the 4WD crew the foreshore is one big carpark. In summer it's the boats and the 4WD crew.

Everyone seems to take their vehicles to the picnic
Yeah it’s the same over at blowering, but usually the water level moves around a lot more so the dug out foreshore isn’t so much a problem. And the accessible bank area is also a lot more. Part of the appeal is that you can beach the boat and have your camp set up, saves pulling the boat in and out etc.

Reactions: Marty McSly

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014

Ah, thanks. I had it arse about. Bitumen surface I will get then. Contractor (McMahans) said it was planned for Asphalt but the budget ran out. They have certainly prepared the base very, very well!
9Jun22a.jpg

Reactions: Snow Blowey

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Between the van life crew and the 4WD crew the foreshore is one big carpark. In summer it's the boats and the 4WD crew.

Everyone seems to take their vehicles to the picnic

Hey. Don’t lump me in with the Lake Van lifers.

We hardly even stop in gingerbyne these days.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Ah, thanks. I had it arse about. Bitumen surface I will get then. Contractor (McMahans) said it was planned for Asphalt but the budget ran out. They have certainly prepared the base very, very well!
9Jun22a.jpg
Before shot from opposing angle
05May2022b.jpg
8 weeks ago: Solid base for sure, almost all solid bedrock!
5 excavators used, 2 graders, 3 compactors, numerous trucks, lotsa local people, 40-50m of road, $80K worth of fill added to my site (probably $50K removed!), happy to help the local economy. Next phase: where to locate motherfukka shed so it doesn't require $50K worth of footings below the $40K concrete slab. Cut=tick, fill=cross.
Snap of the 'small amount of fill' they shipped in:
FillLevel26Jun2022a.jpg

Marquise de Kappy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2010
Redfern
New car. Deisel. Havent had a deisel in 25 years. Question. Do all petrol stations in canberra sell alpine deisel as std? If so, will stop there on way through to Jindy to fill up.
Any advice appreciated.

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Reactions: Marquise de Kappy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using