The Jindabyne thread..

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
So no SYD to Cooma?
Nup, have been calling Rex for months trying to get the +1 a flight from Cooma to SYD in late August - feedback is no Cooma services available this season.

Looks like they get better gravy flying main routes, competing with Virgin, JS & QF.

As above Qantas flies Brisbane-Cooma legs only.

Last edited:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Nup, have been calling Rex for months trying to the +1 a flight from Cooma to SYD in late August - feedback is no Cooma services available this season.

Looks like they get better gravy flying main routes, competing with Virgin, JS & QF.

As above Qantas flies Brisbane-Cooma legs only.
They stopped on July 1st.
When the regional subsidies were removed.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
New car. Deisel. Havent had a deisel in 25 years. Question. Do all petrol stations in canberra sell alpine deisel as std? If so, will stop there on way through to Jindy to fill up.
Any advice appreciated.
There are different blends of alpine diesel, depending on location and expected temps. Some of the service stations down here add extra "bricks" to the tanks if it is going to get really cold.

People who get into trouble generally are parked outside, not undercover, in wide open spaces, on cold nights. Actually spoke to a couple of people this morning who had issues out near Cooma, where it got down to -9C.

Some people will try and tell you its all a con and don't worry:rolleyes: I once was at an event at Mt Buller in November, filled up in Mansfield assuming it was alpine, but it wasn't. Got to -7C overnight. There were 20+ cars from the event who had issues in the morning. Mine drove about 3kms before it starting hesistating and stalled, check engine light etc. My wifes only made it 500m LOL Just sat in the sun and waited a few hours, and all good.

Edit : the other thing, modern high pressure common rail type diesels are more prone to problems than older diesels, agricultural machinery etc

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
There are different blends of alpine diesel, depending on location and expected temps. Some of the service stations down here add extra "bricks" to the tanks if it is going to get really cold.

People who get into trouble generally are parked outside, not undercover, in wide open spaces, on cold nights. Actually spoke to a couple of people this morning who had issues out near Cooma, where it got down to -9C.

Some people will try and tell you its all a con and don't worry:rolleyes: I once was at an event at Mt Buller in November, filled up in Mansfield assuming it was alpine, but it wasn't. Got to -7C overnight. There were 20+ cars from the event who had issues in the morning. Mine drove about 3kms before it starting hesistating and stalled, check engine light etc. My wifes only made it 500m LOL Just sat in the sun and waited a few hours, and all good.
I had a heck of time a couple of seasons ago trying to ascertain (a) what additive was being used for Alpine or Winter diesel; kero, heating oil, other, and (b) what was the difference between Winter Diesel and Alpine Diesel. I was stonewalled.
I found found that heating oil, added to prevent coagulation (gel formation), worked as well as Kero and the former was a lot cheaper as a raw material. I therefore made the assumption that they were using heating oil!
It matters not for diesel engines in vehicles with lots of moving parts, but seems to make a difference for diesel heaters, which have no moving parts, just a combustion chamber and are subject to carbonisation (and failure on the coldest nights).
As far as I know they use Winter Diesel in cold areas (eg: Canberra, Goulburn) and Alpine Diesel from Cooma, Dalgety, Jindy etc and as far as I could ascertain, the difference is simply the amount of additive as a percentage.

Marquise de Kappy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2010
Redfern
I tend to do the opposite of @Marquise de Kappy, aim to hit Jindabyne with about ⅛ of a tank of diesel and fill up on arrival. Sure it's more expensive, but it makes sure I get a good hit of the additive.

Bit of a worry that they ran out though.
Hmmm, with new car, still getting used to range. Worried re Jindy stations running out. So might get splash and dash in Canberra (so have something on board). Not driving up mountain for 2 days (weekend) after arrival so will try and replenish in Jindy. Why is everything such a gamble now days? Bring back life as per 2018.

Reactions: Marty McSly
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Ice on the road between cooma and jindy.

Crash on varneys. Two trucks.
Kind of weird that we have had 2 crashes there recently but none for a long time before that. Well not that have been reported. The last one I know of is the one that got the concrete barriers put up.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Try 64521440. Used to get me through but I haven’t phoned since last year. Carol who used to answer was retiring so it might have all changed.

Just a little update. Maybe you guys can sanity check what I have been told...

Carol / Elgas Cooma are retired.
Calls are being redirected to Canberra overflowing to Woolongong.

I think, but can't confirm they are using SupaGas or some name like this, to refill bottles onsite rather than swapping bottles.

So when you order a new bottle, you get a refill at your premises.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

I think, but can't confirm they are using SupaGas or some name like this, to refill bottles onsite rather than swapping bottles.

*wollongong.
Less wool.
More gong.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma

I saw an Elgas refill tank in my street the other day. Can't say anything about the background and where they are at other than my other half had some challenges getting good info out of their customer service reps over the phone. We have moved to GZ Engineering who will swap out bottles when needed for about $10-15 less per bottle and so far have been friendly with reliable service. Not sure if they do a refill service.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
I saw an Elgas refill tank in my street the other day. Can't say anything about the background and where they are at other than my other half had some challenges getting good info out of their customer service reps over the phone. We have moved to GZ Engineering who will swap out bottles when needed for about $10-15 less per bottle and so far have been friendly with reliable service. Not sure if they do a refill service.
Hmm might look them up, better to fund a local!!

Reactions: Ozgirl

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Don't even know where it is, I live on the North Shore you know :p ;)
1658811587810.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Snow Frothinator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 9, 2021
Paul at Jindabyne Water Supplies is our local Elgas refiller, we had two 210kg Origin tanks removed and replaced with Elgas tanks today. He does our water & gas, is a good mate, . call him 0402 659 635.

Reactions: BlueHue

jonathanc

upright toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
Going by the amount of sightseeing traffic going Berridale this morning I think there may be many disappointed toboganners today. Pop corn, deck chairs at Trader Joe’s followed by the Bush Pigs final, entertainment sorted.
I used to love travelling down for a game against the bush pigs, they always let us win by a huge margin and then put on a big BBQ for the rest of the arvo. Great country rugby vibe.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Does anyone know someone that does water bore drilling in our area ?
If you are planning on putting a bore down in Cobbin I wouldn't bother. When Bruce sold the blocks there was a bore included, that dried as soon as soon as the money was in the bank.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using