The Jindabyne thread..

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
If they want those AirBnB $$$ they're going to have to put up with homeless people.

These guys are hardly the definition of homeless if they can afford a car / insurance / ski gear / drugs / alcohol / lift pass / nat parks pass / and have made an active choice to reside in one of the more expensive country towns in Australia.

More like they have made a choice to pursue a recreational activity that they are unable to afford. Skiing is hardly a birthright. It never has been and likely never will be in Australia.

Calling these folk homeless is actually quite insulting to the truely homeless in our community*

*by community i'm referring to Australia.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
These guys are hardly the definition of homeless if they can afford a car / insurance / ski gear / drugs / alcohol / lift pass / nat parks pass / and have made an active choice to reside in one of the more expensive country towns in Australia.

More like they have made a choice to pursue a recreational activity that they are unable to afford. Skiing is hardly a birthright. It never has been and likely never will be in Australia.

Calling these folk homeless is actually quite insulting to the truely homeless in our community*

Yes. No different to the European backpackers/vanlifers parking in the eastern suburbs beaches of Sydney.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Jindy is a great town. It's just there is an element of society that is not only haunting Jindy but everywhere else across the country. They bring an element of dreadful behaviour wherever they decide to land and park. They are NEVER the honest homeless people. They are determined travelers that abuse societal norms.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Jindy is a great town. It's just there is an element of society that is not only haunting Jindy but everywhere else across the country. They bring an element of dreadful behaviour wherever they decide to land and park. They are NEVER the honest homeless people. They are determined travelers that abuse societal norms.
Jindy needs to consider why it has a homelessness problem when no other town in the region does, and do something about it.

Reactions: crackson

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
All social housing funds for the entire region go to cooma exclusively. They get paid to provide social housing for the entire region but they keep all the money for cooma.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

There is a lot of truth in that. Vanlife in Jindy in winter is primarily a personal choice. Sure, there is an affordable accommodation shortage for seasonal workers but to a large degree those that arrive in vans are not part of that grouping, nor are the local based homeless given they are not "seasonal workers" nor "van travellers".

Van life is everything from bongo vans on a travellers minimum wage to mega caravans looking for a free park due to a lack of available facilities close to the action.

15 mins outside of Jindabyne and not on the Alpine Way or Perisher road is too "far out" for this very location selective demographic.

Jobs going begging, even ones with accomodation.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
There is a lot of truth in that. Vanlife in Jindy in winter is primarily a personal choice. Sure, there is an affordable accommodation shortage for seasonal workers but to a large degree those that arrive in vans are not part of that grouping, nor are the local based homeless given they are not "seasonal workers" nor "van travellers".

Van life is everything from bongo vans on a travellers minimum wage to mega caravans looking for a free park due to a lack of available facilities close to the action.

15 mins outside of Jindabyne and not on the Alpine Way or Perisher road is too "far out" for this very location selective demographic.

Jobs going begging, even ones with accomodation.
Yeah there are so many different layers of Vanlyfe.
Ole mate brushing his teeth in the bush was just looking for a quiet verge to park for the night.
Not a serial pest .

Reactions: crackson

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Yeah there are so many different layers of Vanlyfe.
Ole mate brushing his teeth in the bush was just looking for a quiet verge to park for the night.
Not a serial pest .

IMHO "local homeless" are a separate topic.

Vanlyfe seasonal travellers.
Tradies/young city workers that camp.
Big vans with family.

All tied up with the gentrification of caravan parks, Airbnb, high cost accommodation, FB/Insta communication convenience and easy vehicle access.

Perfect mess, just ask any town on the circuit.

silva

One of Us
Feb 1, 2006
NSW

I agree - case in point - chatting with an young man on the lift on the weekend. Immediately hit me up to "park in my driveway" when he found out I lived locally. When I spoke to him about options he made it very clear he was not willing to pay for a place in any of the caravan parks - NRMA and Discovery - Just too expensive, he would have to cut back or give up his pack a day smoking habit. Alpine Adventist - horrified look - no drugs or alcohol allowed. Kosipark - too isolated and inconvenient, nowhere to go for a drink.

He could definitely afford not to live in his van/car on the streets but prioritizes smokes, alcohol, eating out and social life more. He was also in brand new brand name gear, new board, shiny airpods etc.

To me he is not homeless - he has made a choice and now loves to whine about it. Basically he wants a full service camp ground facility with a pub and supermarket across the road, shiny warm toilets and showers, garbage disposal (he whined that someone told him off for walking onto their property in town and using their wheelie bin) and a free to use common room/drying room and thinks that $5 a night is expensive.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Basically he wants a full service camp ground facility with a pub and supermarket across the road, shiny warm toilets and showers, garbage disposal (he winged that someone told him off for walking onto their property in town and using their wheelie bin) and a free to use common room/drying room and thinks that $5 a night is expensive.
Don't we all?

Anyway, half a generation ago having these things in any country town or coastal village was pretty cheap and readily available to families and those looking for non-motel travel. Now they are neither. A patch of grass is $40-60 a night without power and with a minimum two-night stay.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I agree - case in point - chatting with an young man on the lift on the weekend. Immediately hit me up to "park in my driveway" when he found out I lived locally. When I spoke to him about options he made it very clear he was not willing to pay for a place in any of the caravan parks - NRMA and Discovery - Just too expensive, he would have to cut back or give up his pack a day smoking habit. Alpine Adventist - horrified look - no drugs or alcohol allowed. Kosipark - too isolated and inconvenient, nowhere to go for a drink.

He could definitely afford not to live in his van/car on the streets but prioritizes smokes, alcohol, eating out and social life more. He was also in brand new brand name gear, new board, shiny airpods etc.

To me he is not homeless - he has made a choice and now loves to winge about it. Basically he wants a full service camp ground facility with a pub and supermarket across the road, shiny warm toilets and showers, garbage disposal (he winged that someone told him off for walking onto their property in town and using their wheelie bin) and a free to use common room/drying room and thinks that $5 a night is expensive.
These people have been around for ages.
Just more of them nowadays.
They used to park in the carpark at NRMA (before it was NRMA).
Arrive at 10pm...leave at dawn. Sneak into the showers etc.
My van is pretty close to where they park.
I've woken up to people pissing on my caravan.
Those days have thankfully moved on. Current management is way more onto it.

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
If you don't have a house to ive in you're homeless. All the other excuses are just class warfare.

The dirtbag traveller isn't new. The number of homeless staff is.
Class warfare is a dangerous game doomed to to failure.

Wealth is moot when the masses get tipped over the edge.

I volunteer work with Sydney homeless. Homelessness is NOT a life choice. Transporting yourself intrastate or interstate to Jindy is a life choice.

If you have done that for work, then work and contribute. At the end of the day if you earn enough to live and fit in, and go skiing, good on you.

If you have done it to ski then you better be sure that you have a means of supporting yourself while you pursue one of the most expensive recreational activities you could choose. There is no class warfare in this, although there is certainly a degree of entitlement.

It's not hard to keep a low profile as a vanlyfer, but it's perhaps inconvenient. The question is, is it more inconvenient than forgoing the smokes the ski gear and the alcohol?

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Staff living in beater cars is fairly criminal if the reason they are in cars is because of nil accommodation offered forcing the staff into a poverty line existence due to the combination of exorbitant free market rental costs and low income casual labour regime.

I have noted quite a few back seat dwellers on my walks. I may ask them how it came to this for them.

Vanlyfe is not that.

Last edited:

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
There is an element of the "vanlyfer" and people like myself that just use it for a few nights, that has no respect (probably no self respect either) and they have destroyed it for everyone. I have never in all my years of doing it, disrespected other people, or the place I am in. Its not hard.

Homelessness is entirely different. Some of the Jindy "seasonal" homelessness is where employers don't properly advise people who accept jobs. They turn up, didn't realise there is no regular bus service everywhere, that they needed to find accommodation, several years before they were going to come, etc etc. Proper homelessness often involves mental and drug (often associated) problems, and society has this "too hard basket".

I was more on the side of the guy giving the toothpisser a hard time, though I don't think he should have posted it.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I notice that for unknown reasons Waste Point Rd coming off Kosciuszko rd has moved upmarket and become Creel Point rd. Kind of confusing, because they have just renamed the upper part, the lower part is still waste point rd.

Not sure what this is meant to achieve, but I’m pretty sure everyone will still call it waste point rd :rolleyes:

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
I notice that for unknown reasons Waste Point Rd coming off Kosciuszko rd has moved upmarket and become Creel Point rd. Kind of confusing, because they have just renamed the upper part, the lower part is still waste point rd.

Not sure what this is meant to achieve, but I’m pretty sure everyone will still call it waste point rd :rolleyes:
They are worried that some interfering journalist will do a story on the exclusive parliamentary holiday complex at Waste Point. They reckon if they change the name the journos will be thrown off the scent.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
I was taught that locals don't say they're locals to strangers. And that you find out who they are from 3rd parties.

And that anyone at the pub bragging about being a local is a blow in for sure.
Had a charming young lady at the Woolies checkout ask me if I was local the other day. Nearly I said, you?
I'm just here for the snow season she said. What about accommodation? Oh, Woolies supply us with rent free share accom.
Wow, setting a high bar I thought?

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains

I can explain that. The old jindy tip is hidden down there. You won't find it though. All covered and reveged now. That's how it got the waste point name.

That was fine until the snowy hydro staff accom was converted to holiday rentals and the waste point name looked terrible to tourists on maps and marketing so it was converted to creel bay as it sounds better. Creel bay has always been the name of the bay down near the boatramp at the bottom, so changing the name of the road is more in line with the knp location and tourism.

I'm just guessing though from what I know about that area.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I can explain that. The old jindy tip is hidden down there. You won't find it though. All covered and reveged now. That's how it got the waste point name.

That was fine until the snowy hydro staff accom was converted to holiday rentals and the waste point name looked terrible to tourists on maps and marketing so it was converted to creel bay as it sounds better. Creel bay has always been the name of the bay down near the boatramp at the bottom, so changing the name of the road is more in line with the knp location and tourism.

I'm just guessing though from what I know about that area.
The old jindy tip is where NRMA van park is.
Extends towards the North.

I know this. Cause I saw the original plans ...from the 60s for the area.
Original paper and all.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
The old jindy tip is where NRMA van park is.
Extends towards the North.

I know this. Cause I saw the original plans ...from the 60s for the area.
Original paper and all.
Correct. Actually, not quite where the van park is, but on the eastern end of the beach there.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Nrma was a dump?

Still is.

Half way down waste point rd where the kink in the straight bit is, there is a gate off to the right and that's an old tip/dump.

Would you two like a map?

• Haha
Reactions: Marty McSly

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
From WikiSki, so take it how you like....

Waste Point
Surveyors who conducted a survey of the area decided that the swampy area at the join of the Thredbo and Snowy Rivers was waste, and not worth surveying, so it was called Waste Point. James Spencer had a guest house here. It is said that Banjo Patterson wrote part of The Man From Snowy River here. On other early maps this site is called "West Point".

Reactions: JM72 and Jacko4650

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Waste Point was an artefact of the original surveys way back when. It was a triangle at the confluence of the Thredbo and Snowy Rivers that did not fit into existing landholdings and was not much use for anything, hence Waste. In early surveys it was also called West Point.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Nrma was a dump?

Still is.

Half way down waste point rd where the kink in the straight bit is, there is a gate off to the right and that's an old tip/dump.

Would you two like a map?
You're cute when you're wrong.

Regardless. Jindy then was a small town. Its tip was about the size of a football field.

Reactions: Chookfooter

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
From WikiSki, so take it how you like....

Waste Point
Surveyors who conducted a survey of the area decided that the swampy area at the join of the Thredbo and Snowy Rivers was waste, and not worth surveying, so it was called Waste Point. James Spencer had a guest house here. It is said that Banjo Patterson wrote part of The Man From Snowy River here. On other early maps this site is called "West Point".
Waste Point was an artefact of the original surveys way back when. It was a triangle at the confluence of the Thredbo and Snowy Rivers that did not fit into existing landholdings and was not much use for anything, hence Waste. In early surveys it was also called West Point.
I wrote the Wikiski entry (although I did do some research) so the coincidence of response means not much.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass