The Jindabyne thread..

Camoman

One of Us
May 10, 2019
Jindabyne
From memory similar, I think on e was $1.7m and the other $1.5m odd.

Wow. I inspected #6 for one of the interested parties. Fair bit of coin involved in bringing it up to standard.

So many of these properties are of the age that they need some serious investment to see them good for more years. So many city clients I deal with in providing structural appraisals have no idea of the difficulty and expense in trades here. Also buying site unseen for a few. Asking for trouble.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Because you can still catch it and spread it to other people who haven't had the opportunity to be vaccinated (i.e. most of the population). Haven't you been paying attention?
Yes this is the vaccination that isn't really a vaccination. Doesn't stop you catching it and doesn't stop you giving to other people if you do catch it. Just makes you less likely to get very sick. Whih is why the selfish twats not getting vaxed makes no sense. Right up their alley as this vaccine is all about them.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Re bogong, 120 to 140k in annual rentals for a single old 3 bedroom apartment seems a bit on the high side to me.
yeah and 1.6m plus for the sale of the place seems a little high to me too. I don't know what these people do for work but there must be some good paying jobs down that way

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
And so it starts to consolidate, land becomes owned by millionaires until they are kicked out by billionaires. A story already told around the world at ski resorts. Jindy is just catching up with the times.

People who actually make the place tick, police, teachers, retail, hospitality, bank, tradies, labour are forced to live in the margins or far out sub-townships with no services
Japan!

Reactions: skinik

Camoman

One of Us
May 10, 2019
Jindabyne
Don’t let pragmatism get in the way of capitalist greed….

$1,000 a night for damp hole you wouldn’t house your swine in is a bargain rate around there isn’t it?

My 2 bedder is thru an agent. But it is not even remotely near that, and with full bookings for winter (well not this winter anymore, thanks covid).

Camoman

One of Us
May 10, 2019
Jindabyne
yeah and 1.6m plus for the sale of the place seems a little high to me too. I don't know what these people do for work but there must be some good paying jobs down that way

Most buyers are from sydney, as im told by a real estate friend. Bugger all locals buying these ones. Most locals whom I know at least, had invested in land sites a cpl years ago and are now dual occ-ing them.

Reactions: dawooduck and skull

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Also buying site unseen for a few.
I went to inspect a place back around 2014/5, I was already staying up on the mountain. The RE contacted me with a listing about to go up and I said since I was in town I will go down and have a look. I was back down first thing in the morning around 0900. The agent rocks up and said she had someone from Sydney put an offer in last night when she rang them to let them know it was going up. Site unseen and hadn't even looked at the photos as it hadn't yet gone online. Agent said the offer was well above what the offers over listing was going to be and no conditions.

So I had a look and even though I knew I was wasting my time made an offer subject to pest and finance and then left. The agent rang up a couple hours later to say they took the other offer.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Wow. I inspected #6 for one of the interested parties. Fair bit of coin involved in bringing it up to standard.

So many of these properties are of the age that they need some serious investment to see them good for more years. So many city clients I deal with in providing structural appraisals have no idea of the difficulty and expense in trades here. Also buying site unseen for a few. Asking for trouble.
Yeh I wondered that. Close to town and with views high rental returns should be possible but risky proposition if that much coin is needed to get it to the required standard.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
A lot of uni can be done remote now too.
I have one doing a distance a degree. Not very impressed by Swinburne. Go read 100 pages every week is not a good learning technique. And the other currently at UNSW doing a STEM type degree , all lectures and labs are now online. But much better than the other place even though it is "temporary". Actually I did my masters by distance over 10 years ago. That worked so so and things have moved on a lot since then.

We moved out of Sydney about 14 years ago. 5 years prior to that we definitely had to be in a capital city for our work. Now we can be anywhere and the rest of the world has more or less caught up with us. People are now far more accepting of a phone or video call instead of meeting face to face.

Reactions: skull

Camoman

One of Us
May 10, 2019
Jindabyne
Yeh I wondered that. Close to town and with views high rental returns should be possible but risky proposition if that much coin is needed to get it to the required standard.

Following on from what I saw, I had the feeling that the costs involved meant the owning club wanted out, rather than to all throw in what is necessary.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
We moved out of Sydney about 14 years ago. 5 years prior to that we definitely had to be in a capital city for our work. Now we can be anywhere and the rest of the world has more or less caught up with us. People are now far more accepting of a phone or video call instead of meeting face to face.
If this embracing of WFH continues a move regional might definitely be on the cards in the near future. Wife is a teacher so should be able to pick up a job at a regional school. I might have to still come into Canberra a couple days a week, I could stay in the van for those days. Problem for me is I am a contractor so even though there are some contractors who have been in this team for years (one over 10) we still have to reapply every 12 months.

Undies

Rockin the lock in
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer

Yeah, I had a gander at 6 as well. It needs $1m spent on updating it, but after that you'd have a superb place with 6 bedrooms, all with en-suites, balconies, and overlooking the lake. If done right, that's a $3m house. See some of the places in East Jindy for reference around the $2.5m mark.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Given I can’t ski… took the plus 1 up to the larder at Crackenback for coffee and a light brunch. Locals discount plus the government dine voucher meant it was 6 bucks - bargain and good coffee :thumbs:. Key point is however that; the larder staff don’t have a lot to do! As stated to me….“mostly serving staff and the occasional customer, like us”. Covid legislation has the indoor section limited to 20 customers. Not that any others turned up.

BD48A437-4974-49A4-9CE7-76C6E53137C1.jpeg
Yeah spouse went there and sent me photos. Not good.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
If this embracing of WFH continues a move regional might definitely be on the cards in the near future. Wife is a teacher so should be able to pick up a job at a regional school. I might have to still come into Canberra a couple days a week, I could stay in the van for those days. Problem for me is I am a contractor so even though there are some contractors who have been in this team for years (one over 10) we still have to reapply every 12 months.
Reapplying is painful but bet the pay is better. We service Canberra. Gives DH an excuse to go to Costco. And Canberra is a much better airport for international travel than others even though you have to transfer from domestic to international somewhere else.

Reactions: skull

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
I'd much rather be in Kalkite than Avonside.

I bought into there in a shared setup company house 30 years ago. I actually built the place from scratch on vacant land. 10 shares in all. All of the other shareholders were labourers as such, and we used a few local trades to do the professional stuff.
Sold out of that (eventually) and bought an (established) property in Kalkite a street away about 18 years ago. Paid overs because I wanted it so much and wanted to still have a property there.
Investment wise, it did nothing for 15 years and was arse, even though I did a major reno and upgrade. Was pretty much worth the same in 2017/18/19 as it was when I bought it in 2003. Did consider selling it a few years ago, but couldn't and wouldn't, due to the fact I love Kalkite so much and due to my emotional attachment to the area. The property is basically on the lake. I love dragging my kayak to the lake October-April and paddling around, and swimming at "the beach" area.
Price has finally doubled since 2019, yet I still have no desire to sell.
The place is heaven to me. Can see myself spending my retirement years there. Would I be considered a local? :)

Last edited:

JindySuz

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2019
Do you want to have a look at the effect of the restrictions they are under, and how that will affect quarantine?

My daughter did one of these rural sojourns in Queensland in Year 10. She and her classmates were completely isolated for a term. No parental visits. I think the staff were allowed out. Had a pandemic been raging she would have had no contact with anyone outside the farm - she probably wouldn't have known it was happening. She did learn to milk a cow.

In similar circumstances why should that normal procedure be disrupted when there is no danger to anyone?
These kids are going to be skiing at some point

Ultra2.0

One of Us
Jan 27, 2020
how does that go with Long service leave?

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
I have an ex-Navy mate of mine who is doing just that. Has a flat in Canberra (unsure if renting or owned, never asked) and home in East Jindy.

Reactions: whether and skull

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
After this week and being able to leave our gear here Sunday, drive back to Canberra and back up Monday, we are seriously fast tracking our plan’s to split time here. So much easier to drive up with just food.

prices may have something to say about our plan’s.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Fixed accom still doesn't work for the weekend warrior. Get in to a cold joint at 1am Saturday. Get a few hours Saturday evening and gone Sunday. Van looks a better option for the time being. At least when you arrive, bed is warm and there is no unloading bit to wake up the sleeping kid.

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Fixed accom still doesn't work for the weekend warrior. Get in to a cold joint at 1am Saturday. Get a few hours Saturday evening and gone Sunday. Van looks a better option for the time being. At least when you arrive, bed is warm and there is no unloading bit to wake up the sleeping kid.

I kinda feel like there is a place for purpose built 1 / 2 bed accom for those weekend warriors. Again this would be a long discussion over a lot of beers, but most of the places in Jindy are just designed the same as big city flats / town houses. (Not fit for purpose)

For many years we used a small bedsit (also had a dbl bed in a cupboard sized room) with remote control of the heater etc.

So we arrived to a warm room, all our gear from the previous weekend was dry and ready to go for the Sat/Sun. It was great, and very economical. we could literally drive to the front door, carry the young (at the time) child to her bed, and fall asleep ourselves.

Sunday departure was drop all the gear hang up the clothes (heater turned off 6 hrs later) get into our travelling tracky daks and drive home. Way more relaxing than packing a car and unpacking in Syd.

I'm not sure how you would fit it in with planning laws, but I feel like we could do better in this space.

Me+3

One of Us
Jun 26, 2014
I kinda feel like there is a place for purpose built 1 / 2 bed accom for those weekend warriors. Again this would be a long discussion over a lot of beers, but most of the places in Jindy are just designed the same as big city flats / town houses. (Not fit for purpose)

For many years we used a small bedsit (also had a dbl bed in a cupboard sized room) with remote control of the heater etc.

So we arrived to a warm room, all our gear from the previous weekend was dry and ready to go for the Sat/Sun. It was great, and very economical. we could literally drive to the front door, carry the young (at the time) child to her bed, and fall asleep ourselves.

Sunday departure was drop all the gear hang up the clothes (heater turned off 6 hrs later) get into our travelling tracky daks and drive home. Way more relaxing than packing a car and unpacking in Syd.

I'm not sure how you would fit it in with planning laws, but I feel like we could do better in this space.
pretty similar to a permanent van setup in one of the parks drop in whenever you like.

just on that... @Donza any for sale at the moment ?

Me+3

One of Us
Jun 26, 2014
Permanent vans at snowline have been canned for fatter profits.

Permanent vans at nrma will be canned for fatter profits.

Not really an option anymore except for Pats Patch.
probably an inevitable outcome
happening up and down the coast
was enquiring for curiosity.... wondering if there was any more move-on notices since last year ?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
This is the emptying of vast and very full Superannuation accounts. Welcome to Retirement of the early Super Accounts from 1992.

This speaks to the need to factor the value of the home into the age pension assessment. As it stands there is currently a financial incentive to move into a *more expensive* home upon retirement in order to qualify for at least a part pension and all the benefits that affords. This is especially true in jurisdictions which do not levy stamp duty on those over retirement age.

Reactions: skinik and skifree

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW

This. I don't need a kitchen - i am eating out when on holidays. Shower and a warm box with a bed and a comfy place to sit out of the weather. Motel room style would be perfect.

Reactions: climberman

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
This speaks to the need to factor the value of the home into the age pension assessment. As it stands there is currently a financial incentive to move into a *more expensive* home upon retirement in order to qualify for at least a part pension and all the benefits that affords. This is especially true in jurisdictions which do not levy stamp duty on those over retirement age.
It also speaks to a need to get people to be rational about retirement, assets, inheritance etc. Can't take it with you and of little benefit to inherit a fortune when you are to old to do anything with it. And I just don't understand why people think society owes them, especially if they think it doesn't owe anybody else.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Oh isn't that relatively normal. Lots of places have a mix of long term and short term residents. When I thnk of Cooma and Jindabyne they are also like that. Lots of coastal towns are like that.

Some of Berridale is not like that.

Nah. Berridale feels like the home of the next Ivan Milat and Snowtown combined.

Only a matter of time before it becomes famous for something dark.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Nah. Berridale feels like the home of the next Ivan Milat and Snowtown combined.

Only a matter of time before it becomes famous for something dark.
Wow complete opposite view of the place to me. Kind of weird that people who love Jindy with all the stuff that happens there, thinking rape, assault, deaths in toilets, drug busts etc, see Borringdale like that.

Reactions: skinik and Townsend
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass