Trip Report The Lake Mountain 2018 Trip Report, Conditions & Pics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I knew that the no idea of driving in snow and ice type Muppets would be out in force at LM. It was bad enough on a weekday last month when the snow was NUKING down. I am having FOMO because tomorrow will be amazing skiing up there and my leg is still NQR.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Those wretched Chinese Hackers seem to have hacked into Lake Mts Snow Cams?

An unofficial toboganning at Dom Dom ....only snow report necessary!!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Those wretched Chinese Hackers seem to have hacked into Lake Mts Snow Cams?

An unofficial toboganning at Dom Dom ....only snow report necessary!!
Some hackers hacked into my bank account and took the lot. I have had to get new cards and the bank says it will take 45 days to recover the $$.If there is tobogganing at Dom Dom saddle then the skiing at LM must be fantastic.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I would assume XC skiing along the Mt. Margaret road and the Blue Range road would be totally viable tomorrow. This assumption is based on reports on how low the snow has fallen in the area. Even sections of Lady Talbot road past the winter gate at Mt. Margaret road could be possibly skiable tomorrow. If I didn't have a buggered leg I would definitely come up via Keppel's hut tomorrow and possibly even ski a bit of it before reaching Keppel's hut.

srad

Hard Yards
Aug 19, 2018
(long time lurker) We got up there today before they shut the gate and had possibly the best days skiing I've had at LM. Snow was great if you had some metal edges - soft with lots of glide, sun even came out occasionally in the afternoon. Groomed didn't stay groomed for long - not great skating conditions. Couple of my group hired metal edges from teckel and agreed it made a big difference vs the standard ones.

srad

Hard Yards
Aug 19, 2018
And yes many road muppets who can't handle a couple of cm and a bit of ice. They also wait until all signs of snow have disappeared from the road verge completely before taking their chains off.

Rustyxc

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2015
went to xc at LM today. I asked at the gate if the trails had been groomed and it was affirmed that they were and was still in progress. all good one thinks on a day of great snow (especially after the carnage of watching lots of cars come to a halt as soon as the hill got too steep for the 2wd's without chains, who then blocked the left lane as there was no room to pull off, including seeing 2 cars go off the road)
on arrival at the car park a quick decision was made to classic as website still said not groomed and at 11am we headed up the trail. It didn't seem to have been groomed so far today as we thankfully classic'd through the powder on the trail. not a day for skating for sure.(hoppet training anyone.....)
after ploughing through helicopter flat we then met the groomer on snowgum and after he went past it was still very soft and deep and the grooming had not done much. the groomer only then did woollybutt, up to triangle junction and back and the first km of jubilee. not even echo for the numerous beginners who were out today. we later learned that the groomer had backed into a rock so maybe that explains the grooming that was more like a leaf rake than a roller.
so hopefully the groomer is back in action for the mid week skiers and for next weekend to take advantage of the amazing snow that they have there now.
on returning to marysville we saw that the road was closed as we went past around 2pm. The drive down was actually very uneventful and it seemed to go well for as the drivers I saw and road conditions were good by then.
to avoid the carnage and problems on the road on days like this, perhaps they need someone actually stopping the 2wd's who drive past the chain bay without fitting anything. (then they can also tell the people to remove their chains when the snow stops and not as they arrive back in marysville !!)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Some other ski places do enforce chain fitting. Falls Creek is one of them .At least Mt. Stirling uses a big red sign saying 2 WD MUST FIT CHAINS here at Chain Bay 1, 2 and 3 depending on the conditions. When driving up to Dead Horse Gap in NSW in white season there are flashing signs saying YOU MUST FIT CHAINS HERE!!!.At least the bigger resorts have snow and ice driving tips printed on the backs of the adhesive entrance passes that one affixes to the car windshield.
It would cost the LM resort more to have a person screening the Nuff Nuffs in 2 WD at the pay station, who have either not bothered to fit chains or have put them on so badly that it makes things worse:eek:. Perhaps the threat of a $500 fine might make these dickheads wake up and pay attention.
One can only imagine the procession of nuff nuffs:confused: and the carnage :oops: at Mt. Donna Buang on days such as these. I only ski at LM mid week.:cool: That is how I roll .

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Website saying resort closed! Was just about to drive up from Marysville.
Dude, I am seriously looking at skiing LM on Wed. , bad leg or not. The cold front will hold the fresh cover until then . After that there will be sun and R**N. Ring LM. Don't trust their dodgy website. There is a SHIPLOAD of snow up there. It could even be worth hiking/ skiing in from the Mt.Margaret / Lady Talbot Road winter closure gate . There would be full cover from Keppel's hut up to Panorama track via the Hut Loop in my estimation. Get a Rooftops Map of the Rubicon/ Buxton area. Drive to Buxton , take the Marysville turn off. Look for the Mt. Margaret road on the left some 10 kms along. That is the OTHER way to LM. Start EARLY and be prepared to carry skis strapped to a pack.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
If you are already in M/Ville then you can come in via Mt. Margaret see above but drive towards Buxton and follow the Mt. Margaret road. There will be skiable snow up there at the gate I reckon and along the Blue Range road. 25 cms of snow fell overnight down to 700 M. !!!. It won't get any better this year !!!:woohoo::party::ski:
Engage 4 WD/AWD if you must and carry chains and a shovel !!

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
No snow left at Dom Dom.
Going in via Keppels is only advisable for those who are prepared to hoof it up the side of the mountain and climb over fallen trees etc.
VicRoads has to re-open the Marysville-Woods Point Rd. I will advise on here as soon as it's re-opened.
LM has reported a total of 80cm snow fallen since Friday evening, but claiming 50cm on the ground.

Rustyxc

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2015
there will be as the snow there still I am sure, as it was over 30cm deep around there yesterday. there was snow yesterday within a few km's of marysville which will have risen a bit now. However there will still be plenty before the ticket box based on yesterdays observations.

MT99

First Runs
Aug 20, 2018
20180820_080000.jpg
20180820_080136.jpg
20180820_080157.jpg
20180820_080301.jpg
20180820_081306.jpg
20180820_093011.jpg
20180820_095121.jpg
20180820_101648.jpg
20180820_113951.jpg
20180820_114004.jpg
20180820_115255.jpg
20180820_120617.jpg
20180820_125728.jpg

Equus

Addicted
Jul 20, 2008
Warwickshire England
Please can somebody with Skate and Classic CC Ski's post a photo side on with the boot in place?
Have a Book Bunny That Won't Leave Me Along to Do with Bro Learning to CC Ski/Jour with Me and Need Some Visual to see IF this'll Work....
In Book My I make my own Ski's from Wood and That is why I've asked for a Full Side On photo of a Skate Ski to show the Camber and placing of the Bindings....
Many Thanks

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Please can somebody with Skate and Classic CC Ski's post a photo side on with the boot in place?
Have a Book Bunny That Won't Leave Me Along to Do with Bro Learning to CC Ski/Jour with Me and Need Some Visual to see IF this'll Work....
In Book My I make my own Ski's from Wood and That is why I've asked for a Full Side On photo of a Skate Ski to show the Camber and placing of the Bindings....
Many Thanks
You Tube will have it. Take a screen shot or make your own photo if you ski both or either styles.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Many Thanks
Sorry about the poor resolution. Will these do?
Skate
skate.jpg

Classic
classic.jpg

Reactions: Equus

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The LM snow cam is still down and out of action , showing rock hopper conditions from mid last week but the snow report is they got another 5 cms overnight. Total natural snow depth on all trails for XC skiing is 55 cms. FFS!. Grooming continues .
I am going up there tomorrow. Even if I was a quadruple amputee I am going skiing up there tomorrow!!

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
The mountain told me this morning that they were 'going to get technical people involved'. I thought they would have done that on Friday afternoon. Oh well .....
They also said that people could look at the 360 cam. Yeah, but that takes so long, and is in my opinion, more of a novelty rather than useful.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The mountain told me this morning that they were 'going to get technical people involved'. I thought they would have done that on Friday afternoon. Oh well .....
They also said that people could look at the 360 cam. Yeah, but that takes so long, and is in my opinion, more of a novelty rather than useful.
We , the rusted on XC skiers who come back every year up to 6 times per season , want a snow camera right at the Hut Loop/ Panorama track junction. Yes I know the snow ball throwers are where the Ka Ching $$$ revenue lies for the resort but we are the long term patrons. I would support people's wishes such as some of the Forum members here i.e Equator Bunny, Chris Cross et al. in some shape or form if I was in the management board at LM.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
LM Web Cams are still not showing a shipload of snow , just rock hopping from last week. Felix (a.k.a Borat ;-P) shows us in his Monday video that there is A LOT of snow up there now but it will begin to melt as of Thursday hence the Wed. visit from me tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass